Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Kkoss24
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F4CCC4BF-8364-46DF-B229-5270BE4DF454 (resized).png
    9E014D0A-CB51-4DF5-88EF-078BCCEDF9CF (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

Hope all well and safe.Just got into this awesome hobby I can’t even remember what triggered it .Im pretty sure when I started finishing my basement I was looking for arcade games and was blown away by these new pinball machines .I used to play as a teenager in the 80s but for some reason never noticed them after until now.Anyway I bought a WOZRR as my first as my wife and kids pushed for it and I agreed as long as I pick second on my own.We all love that game but I need some advice for second.I want something that plays longer as this game can be fast quite often with no replay balls obviously except earning them with saving Toto or over the rainbow.Pins I have on radar are JP,MM,AFM,EHOH,Metallica ,MB or Iron Maiden legacy all premium or better.Im looking for fast moving,loud and longer games for beginees.Other suggestions outside these welcome .Thanks for any input and God bless this sport for old men .

9E014D0A-CB51-4DF5-88EF-078BCCEDF9CF (resized).jpeg9E014D0A-CB51-4DF5-88EF-078BCCEDF9CF (resized).jpeg
    #2 4 years ago

WoZ is a pretty long-playing game. If you think it's short, you DEFINITELY don't want Attack from Mars.

Given you want longer ball times and think WoZ is too short, Monster Bash is about it on your list for longer ball times, but I wouldn't recommend it because the gameplay isn't different enough from WoZ for a 2 pin collection.

Did you close up the outlanes on your WoZ to make them less hungry?

#3 4 years ago

I guess I’m looking for longer game for kids but one that fits me .When we picked this up nice guy let us play his collection .Mars did seem fast playing and my kid loved TBL but obviously outta price range .We are all beginners I guess looking for game that gives you a replay on a timer when you start a ball.

#4 4 years ago

No I don’t know how to do that .Ive been busy working side jobs get cash up for second.i ordered a led board for rainbow and still have to troubleshoot 2 other issues I’ll get to Saturday .Ill look that up though thanks a lot .

#5 4 years ago

I’m really interested in IMLoB premium.As we can’t go try games out right now with the covid goin on what do you think about that one ?

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

I’m really interested in IMLoB premium.As we can’t go try games out right now with the covid goin on what do you think about that one ?

I love that game personally, and prefer the Premium version, but it's more challenging than WoZ.

You can set the ball save on any of these for a long time - 10 seconds (maybe more, I don't remember the upper limit) is a LONG grace period. Also, if they're too challenging initially, just set the balls to 5 or even 10 per game. Then as the family gets better, you can dial it back until you get to the standard 3 ball games. That way you can choose from any game instead of just ones that have long ball times.

My recommendations would be:
    Deadpool Prem
    Kiss Premium
    Iron Maiden Premium
    Jersey Jack Pirates of the Caribbean (if you've got the scratch to pay the prices)
    Ghostbusters Prem (with colorDMD added)

If you go for Attack from Mars (which can be brutal) ONLY get the LE. The integrated martian topper and lighting make that remake the stellar option it is. The lower tiers aren't as good.

#7 4 years ago

Did not know you can do that thanks a bunch vireland that will help a lot .On WOZ where would I find that setting .Promise this my last question ha ha .

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

No I don’t know how to do that .Ive been busy working side jobs get cash up for second.i ordered a led board for rainbow and still have to troubleshoot 2 other issues I’ll get to Saturday .Ill look that up though thanks a lot .

There's a little post by the outlanes on each side. Moving it down makes it harder for the ball to go out the sides. Sounds like something you might want to do.

#9 4 years ago

Your the best thanks a ton !!

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Did not know you can do that thanks a bunch vireland that will help a lot .On WOZ where would I find that setting .Promise this my last question ha ha .

Open the coin door and hit the black button to call up the menu, then go to main menu, settings, system settings and you'll see the option for "BALL SAVE TIME" - turn that up. You can also increase the balls per game while you're in there.

#11 4 years ago

Awaome! My kids really like pinball I want to keep it that way .Be safe buddy wish u the best .

#12 4 years ago

IMDN Prem is great for your number two game. Modes are fairly easy to understand how to start and how to play. Has some easier shots and some more difficult, but I wouldn’t call the game hard. Crank up the music and enjoy.

Deadpool Prem you didn’t mention but is excellent also and I bet your family will have a blast on it. DP is good because even if you have a short game you likely still had fun and will hit start again for more. The LCD screen shots and call outs are pretty darn entertaining for sure.

Try them both out when Earth returns.

Welcome to the madness

#13 4 years ago

Lmao yes I hope earth returns soon so we can go out and play many different games .Thanks buddy I’m bursting inside about my new hobby it’s so exiting!!!

#14 4 years ago

How old are your kids?
    I find with mine that they are drawn more to modern machine with a lot of animations.
    My kids are 9 an 11 and really like games like WOZ, Hobbit, Star Wars etc.
    Basically games with lots of visuals where they are following a storyline.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Lmao yes I hope earth returns soon so we can go out and play many different games .Thanks buddy I’m bursting inside about my new hobby it’s so exiting!!!

Playing pinball is fun!

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

I would recommend downloading the manual from JJP’s website. Then do a quick review of the settings.

Based on what you said and having a family, change only two settings for now.

Install Extra Easy

Install 5-Ball

When it gets too easy or too long of ball times, then change to the Easy setting. If that’s too easy or to long of ball times, then switch to medium and so on. You can also switch back to 3-Ball’s.

There are a thousand settings and I would recommend at this point just trying the preset settings I mentioned above.

For a second family pin, you could check out Monster Bash. Rules are a little simpler and most people enjoy it.
    F4CCC4BF-8364-46DF-B229-5270BE4DF454 (resized).pngF4CCC4BF-8364-46DF-B229-5270BE4DF454 (resized).png

#17 4 years ago

Just putting this out there but you should maybe look into The Hobbit.

Long ball times, a great theme for all ages and much more.

#18 4 years ago

Spiderman

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

Just putting this out there but you should maybe look into The Hobbit.
    Long ball times, a great theme for all ages and much more.

My kids love this machine.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Spiderman

Spider-man (the original, not the atrocious comic reskin) with colorDMD would be a good choice to complement WoZ for his family. There are a couple in the marketplace right now.

#21 4 years ago

SM is great if you want something with longer ball times, it has ramps for days which is lacking from Woz

#22 4 years ago

Thanks a bunch .Long ass day working took a vaca from job to do side jobs to support this new hobby lmao.Got 2 boys 10 and 12 .Youngest loves Spider-Man and older wants Family Guy he’s a big fan he gets sense of humor from me .But it’s Dads pick now being realistic I’ll be a year away from third after this one .I appreciate the help ,I want to get it right and seems to me trades are always an option if need something new.Whats the best way to screen a seller if I was going to go the route of shipping from far .

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Thanks a bunch .Long ass day working took a vaca from job to do side jobs to support this new hobby lmao.Got 2 boys 10 and 12 .Youngest loves Spider-Man and older wants Family Guy he’s a big fan he gets sense of humor from me .But it’s Dads pick now being realistic I’ll be a year away from third after this one .I appreciate the help ,I want to get it right and seems to me trades are always an option if need something new.Whats the best way to screen a seller if I was going to go the route of shipping from far .

Family Guy isn't a long-term pin, IMO. Same for the Family Guy reskin, Shrek.

If you find a seller on Pinside in the marketplace, you can see what their feedback is, and also ask around. I would NOT buy from Craigslist, Facebook, or Ebay long-distance.

#24 4 years ago

I agree ,I bought the WOZRR off Craigslist, drove 2 hours each way but it thankfully worked out.Ill know more next time on what to look for but I think the few issues I have was in transit and I got that sucker in the house myself .I built a ramp and it’s in the kitchen until I’m done with basement .Im gonna rent a stair walking dolly as I have a 180 staircase going down .Lesson learned on weight of JJP pins lmao.If I go shipping I definitely go pinside !! One other thing what do you think about buying second NIB ? I was originally supposed to go to “Great American Pinball” west Chicago .Was going to take kids there n try games and pick one then the virus happened.Ive talked with those guys a few times I hear they’re a reputable shop .I look at price difference seems better to get one a year old price wise but New is New .

#25 4 years ago

By the way this community is great people .Been a member a short time and always get help from people I never met .I look forward to going to shows from here on out .Chicago,Milwaukee and Indy are definite as they are close .I hear Texas is the biggie n my wife has family near Houston we visit here n there .Look forward to meeting some of you at these events .

#26 4 years ago

Strictly off your list, for a family, and can complement WOZ, MB is good. Always a fun play, can have longer ball times, rules are straightforward. A bit of cheeky humor your kids might get a kick out of. It can get repetitive if you get pretty good, but shooting for the 6-stack is always tough, as well as rock before bash.

All games you listed are good(though have not played EHOH yet, so no comment there). You’ll be fine either way.

#27 4 years ago

MB trailer was the first thing I seen when researching pinball then all hell broke loose in my head !!! Lmao I can’t wait till this virus is over I hear they have a few leagues by me and I’m chomping at the bit !!! I’m just so blown away at the work involved in these games .Ive been following guy building a “Fight Club” and that’s unreal what he is doing by himself.I heard there is a big “comeback” for pinball and I’m spreading the word.Honestly I don’t understand why it’s not way more mainstream (hate using that term but u know what I mean) .The Nights we’ve played as family was the funnest shit we have done together in ages!!! I’d challenge anyone to come up with a more dominating “Made in USA” product out there !! God bless Stern for keeping it afloat!!

#28 4 years ago

I'd buy an Iron Maiden just to usher my kids into metal.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

If you go for Attack from Mars (which can be brutal) ONLY get the LE. The integrated martian topper and lighting make that remake the stellar option it is. The lower tiers aren't as good.

No way. The lower tears are the same game without all the bling. My CE is frickin awesome and I don’t need a topper or stretched out graphics on the display to say otherwise.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

No way. The lower tears are the same game without all the bling. My CE is frickin awesome and I don’t need a topper or stretched out graphics on the display to say otherwise.

The interactive topper isn't bling. It interacts with the game. Kids LOVE it. Adults love it. Location players LOVE it. Plus we'll have to agree to disagree on the giant screen. It's amazing. LE is the only AfM I'd recommend. I've owned original AfM machines, but the remake LE is a whole new level.

#31 4 years ago

I think with kids that age (mine are right around the same) JP, MB, and AFM are the ones you would have to consider. They are all ranked in the top 5 on pinside. 2 of them have stood the test of time, and 1 is pretty widely considered an instant classic.

I dont really think you could go wrong with any of them. The real question is...what do your kids enjoy? If they like dinosaurs, it wouldnt make much sense to get a pin to share that has aliens.

My best advice would be to go to a distributer or a location when they open and play all with the family to decide.

#32 3 years ago

Everything everybody has said is pretty spot on. There are so many good games, in the end it really comes down to what you like as far as theme and playability.
    Now I’m an old guy, so consider what I’m suggesting with that in mind. If you’d consider something other than relatively new games, that are very expensive, you could also consider something a few years old. That way you can get two! The more games you have, space permitting, the less you get burned out on any one of them.
    There are a lot of very good Data East games that are popular, family friendly and quite good. Tommy, Rocky and Bullwinkle, tales from the crypt, and last action hero are pretty popular. If you buy from a reputable Pinhead, your pretty safe. In my opinion you get a lot of bang for you're buck with any of those titles. Bally and Williams games abound with great titles such as the shadow, Dracula and a bunch of others. My experience is they’re also all very reliable. A lot of people love twilight zone. I had one for almost 20 years, but it’s a really deep game with a lot going on, and maybe too difficult to be fun. Adam’s family is very popular.
    If you are looking for a modern game that’s a re-issue, Monster Bash is definitely a top-tier game that’s really fun to play, and can be really easy to play too. I have Mars Attacks, and while I like it, and I know I’m in the minority here, I think it gets kind of repetitious. For me it’s a good game if you have five or more games.
    Right now, I’m kind of going through a Data East phase. If nothing else, I’d suggest looking at some of those titles. They are fun for the family. Some of them have quite a depth of modes and can be both fun to bat around, or get serious with. I have a Tommy that I just love. You can’t beat the Tommy blinders for an outstanding physical mode. You can get them at reasonable prices, and I have found them to be very reliable.

#33 3 years ago

I agree w Iron Maiden as I work a lot n wife has kids brainwashed on country n pop .Yukk!!! I can handle some of country but I’m metal to the B O N E !!! By the way someone get that Motley Crue pin going ..Tommy Lee spinning drum set as centerpiece,Mick with his top hat And masterful riffs changing in game script ,Vince doing his thing doing things backstage and Nikki in the wizzard mode writing the hits !!! Why hasn’t this been done I’m pretty sure they’re right up there w albums sold w ac/dc right ?

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

By the way someone get that Motley Crue pin going ..Tommy Lee spinning drum set as centerpiece,Mick with his top hat And masterful riffs changing in game script ,Vince doing his thing doing things backstage and Nikki in the wizzard mode writing the hits !!! Why hasn’t this been done I’m pretty sure they’re right up there w albums sold w ac/dc right ?

I heard Stern has paid the fee to do due diligence for a Motely Crue game but no game in the works.

#35 3 years ago

No kiddin !!! Wow that’s good news for sure !!! After The Dirt (greatest rock movie of all time IMO) they got the hits ,prolly a Sapranos pole dancers insert,spinning drum set for sure ,n I’ll calm myself for now as I’ve read in these posts some times hype leads to despair .lmao good to hear for sure!!!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-needs-help-with-his-second and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.