1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by phishrace
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I never had to pull ribbon cables off a pin before. Is there some trick to doing it? I don't want to pull the wires off of the connectors.

I have a few pins: Stargate, Fish Tales, Funhouse, and Transformers. I am needing to learn how to do this.

#2 1 year ago

You just unplug them like any other similar plug. Pull by the plug, not the cable. If it’s stubborn, rock back and forth gently as you pull.

That being said, they are really sturdy. It would probably be hard to yank the wires out even if you tried.

#3 1 year ago

I always like to make some kind of mark on the ribbon cable so that I don’t accidentally put it back the wrong way. I’m just big in marking things as that way there is no worry when putting it back together.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from rjm957:

I never had to pull ribbon cables off a pin before. Is there some trick to doing it?

I'm not familiar with your games, but I will warn you....depending upon the ribbon cable you are removing, some come off with connectors that just pull off. However, some ribbon cables have latches that need to be undone or squeezed before you are able to pull the ribbon out or connector off.

#5 1 year ago

Make sure the game is OFF before reseating any ribbon cables.

What issues are you trying to address on each game?

#6 1 year ago

As mentioned, pull by the connector, not the cable. Use two hands for bigger cables. The biggest consideration for ribbon cables is that they're not keyed. So it's easy to put them back on one row high, low or to either side. Once reinstalled, run a finger around the edges to see if you got one row off (your finger will feel the pins if off). Generally the red stripe goes to pin 1 on the board, but they can be reversed and still work properly. Also the orientation of the cable when attached is usually away from the board, but not always, like the video cable that runs from the CPU board to the display on your Funhouse. Lastly ribbon cables rarely go bad. Often just reseating ribbon cables will 'fix' a game. Before replacing, reseat.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-needs-help-on-removing-ribbon-cables and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.