(Topic ID: 37266)

Newbie needs basic servicing advice. Error report, now what?

By jschwart

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by NM
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hi,
I'm a newbie near Wash DC who recently acquired a WCS pin a few months ago. Really happy with the purchase, but just recently a few odd things are happening (giving credit for ramps not hit, etc...) and a test report showed an error "Switch 41 goal through." I'm not very handy and don't know where to start. Anyone have advice on options including doing myself or potentially hiring someone to do regular maintenance (and what that should cost)?

#2 11 years ago

Don't hire someone, learn it yourself and enjoy the process. If you're going to be owning pins you'll need to know how to do this stuff.

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wpc/index2.htm#switch

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wpc/index3.htm#dot

#3 11 years ago

In kentucky I pay about $60 an hour when I cant fix stuff. You can try to trouble shoot yourself. Handy is not really a part of it just whats your level of comfort with taking advice and learning how to work on the game. Your description of the problem is a little generic - lets see if we can get you to a more specific problem.

However, I would first suggest you open up the coin door. Put the game in test switch mode. The buttons on the coin door will let you get there remove the glass and test the switches. When you activate a switch does the right one show up in the menu? Do more then one show up? Can switch 41 be activated? You might need a manual they can be found at ipdb.org

For example if your not so great at the game yet, you might not have made a goal in 20+ games making the game think that its got a problem when it does not.

#4 11 years ago

Welcome to Pinside! WCS is a great game.

If I remember my brother's WCS correctly.....Switch 41 on the goal trough is an opto ("electric eye") that detects when the ball rolls past it on the way to the VUK (vertical up-kicker) on the RH side of the goal. An opto has a transmitting side (LED) and a receiving side ("eye").

Easy way to check is to go into "Test" mode in the menu, select "Single Switch", and then use your finger or a piece of paper to break the beam of the opto. It should beep at you and show Switch 41 on the display. If it doesn't, you may have a bad opto.

To check this, first look at the transmitter side. The LED should be lit up (most likely red). To check the receiving side, look at the opto with the camera on your phone, as the naked eye cannot see the light wavelength emitted. A functioning opto should look lit up in a purple hue.

If either opto side is burned out, you'll have a little bit of soldering to do....

Good luck!

Later,
EV

#5 11 years ago

The receiving opto doesn't emit light, thus it doesn't burn out. Your problem is most likely the transmitting opto not getting power, or an alignment issue between the two.

#7 11 years ago

As others have said, it is an opto switch. Look in there and clean both sides ( Q Tip, moistened ) and look for broken wires.

Go into switch edge test and pass your finger between them and see if it works.

All good and doesn't work ? Then you need some hands on help to go further.

LTG : )

#8 11 years ago

Welcome.

Suggest you purchase and watch TOP DVDs numbers 3 & 4 ASAP; they'll give you some good general knowledge of pinball basics for your type of machine and what tools to buy:

http://www.pinrepair.com/top/

You can always ask for help here--the vids will just get you up to speed in a hurry (so you'll be able to understand the play called in from the sidelines).

Too expensive not to learn pin repair...huge waste of money that could be spent on something sensible like more games.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-needs-basic-servicing-advice-error-report-now-what and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.