Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by TimMe
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Here goes! This is my first post on this forum. I have several machines mostly EM and I'm trying my best to learn how to repair these machines. Currently I'm working on a Scuba and it mostly works. Until I started messing with the reels, If I manually reset score reels to zero then both players could play a game all the way through to game over. And then again I'd have to manually reset reels to zero. I know I wasn't addressing problem. So I started making adjustments based on threads on this forum. I've tried to adjust reels so that it would reset and I seem to be going backwards. Now when I push start, player 2 1000 reel (which is at zero) advances to 4, locks, and the score motor spins. Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated!

#3 7 years ago

What did you do when you "adjusted" them?

Basic steps are making sure 0 position switch is closed at 0, 9 position switch is closed at 9, and I believe the other switch is also only closed at zero. Make sure they are clean too. Although, you'll likely have to disassemble them and clean the gunk out.

#4 7 years ago

I've taken these reels apart, cleaned them and rebuilt them and done it properly. The 1000 reel for player 2 is adjusted so in the zero place the reset relay switch is closed and the runout switch is open and then in 1-9 position they are opposite- open and closed.

#5 7 years ago

advancing to 4??? is there a possibility you put the reel back on wrong? its difficult, but can be done.
try settin that reel to 5, and start a game. does it advance to 9?

#6 7 years ago

You can't get the reel in the wrong position on Scuba, it has a one-piece plastic decagon reel. Maybe you are thinking of the older GTB 10-step unit, with the metal reel. You CAN get that metal reel on wrong!

With a decagon unit, if you've taken it apart it is possible to get the drive gear engaged in the wrong tooth of the drive rack during re-assembly, but if you did that, it would usually mess up the stepping of the unit all the time.

If you are 100% sure the runout switch on the stuck score unit is making good contact, the next thing to check is the player unit. When the score unit gets stuck during game reset, you'll want to examine the player unit plastic cams. You are looking for the switch stack that has been lifted by its cam lobe. If one of these switches isn't making good contact, it can prevent the score unit from getting back to zero.

- TimMe

#7 7 years ago

Also - where are you? (add your location to your profile too). Maybe a local can help walk you through it.

#8 7 years ago

check all the switches again

#9 7 years ago

I just posted a video on YouTube.

What would cause the solenoid to lock?

I am in Orange County, CA. Will update my profile right now...

#10 7 years ago

This is a very unusual problem. I have a guess about what this might be, but be aware it is only a guess.

What this looks like to me is that the switch on the 1000 pt relay (L relay) that provides power to the 1000 pt score unit for the 2nd player is always closed. That would make the drive coil for the score unit stay pulled in all the time when the 2nd player is up. The reason that the score "hops" forward one step each time the player unit steps forward during reset is because of a cam switch on the player unit that transfers the power between player one and two. This is being actuated during the stepping of the player unit reset and that is allowing the 2nd player score unit to step.

Check the L relay - it's in the head - and see if there are switch contacts on that relay that are touching when they should be open. It will be a set of switches with the large contact points.

Also, check the switch stacks on the cams of the player unit, in particular the make-break switches on the 2nd cam. See if these switches are out of adjustment.

- TimMe

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
$ 2,800.00
Playfields
Trident Pinball Homebrew
Playfields
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JK Pinball
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-needing-help-with-gottlieb-scuba-not-resetting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.