9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

I've got a BK Precision 810C Capacitor tester/meter, that says with a big Yellow "!" on the front to discharge the capacitor before connecting, and not thinking, didn't do JUST that. The screen instantly went blank, and now it's dead. This is what I get for trying to help a friend! Fuse inside is good, replaced the battery for good measure, and it's sat for days and still DOA. Anyone ever fixed one of these or sent it back for repair? Or is it time for a new one? If so, any recommendations? This is a BK Precision 810C and one thing I don't like about it is the limit of 2000uf.

#2 9 years ago

http://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/jz_esr70.html

Automatic discharge, 1uf-22kuf range, in-circuit ESR testing, one button press automatic testing. It's pretty idiot-proof and I use it all the time. Best money I ever spent no more shotgunning capacitors.

viperrwk

#3 9 years ago

I need one of these esr70 .... i can only test smallish caps besides visual queues.

#4 9 years ago

Does it read capacitance in circuit and/or just esr ? Does the esr alone give a better indicator of the capacitor
    condition, Can you have a good esr value and a cap that's out of it's rated capacitance range ? Just trying to learn.

#5 9 years ago

lots of love for the esr70.. yes it can generally read in circuit and it will tell you if it cant ( usually says "in circuit/leaky" if its confused)

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from OCD_pinball:

Can you have a good esr value and a cap that's out of it's rated capacitance range ?

It gives you both at once, and you quickly "know" the acceptable ranges.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-quick-bally-driver-board-repair-bulletproofing

#7 9 years ago

Love the esr70! It'll pay for itself quickly!

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from OCD_pinball:

Does it read capacitance in circuit and/or just esr ? Does the esr alone give a better indicator of the capacitor
    condition, Can you have a good esr value and a cap that's out of it's rated capacitance range ? Just trying to learn.

Here is a fun story....

I just fixed a son of a b*%& WMS sound board. This sound board had an analogue issue in the amplifiers. The high frequency sounds (think laser beams) sounded fine. Low frequency sounds (think explosions) where muddled and yucky.

I finally found a tantalum cap right in series (i think it was series) with the speaker output to be causing the issue. Funny thing is this cap's capacitance reading was dead on good, but it was for sure causing my problem. Replacing it with a new electrolytic solved the problem. I assume this cap had a high ESR and was screwing up low frequency sound. The high ESR would not detect with a simple capacitance meter.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-mistake-popped-my-bk-810c-capacitor-tester and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.