Topic Stats

• 136 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Jerryuop
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

100_0163 (resized).JPG
100_0157 (resized).JPG
100_0169 (resized).JPG
Carrie Fisher (resized).jpg
QUEyQUM0NkJGRDdEMkYxNDcwMjM6MDA4MTBhNzc5MGFkYmY1OWYzY2ZmYzczMTJkNTljMjc6Ojo6OjA= (resized).jpg
8D177894-8EAB-41C9-8AC8-72B0515EB088 (resized).png
E71DDAC9-FDBB-474F-8F6E-E7A29D416AB7 (resized).png

There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 1 year ago
Quoted from Ccondo:

I just want to make sure I'm understanding the advice I am getting... I should opt for GOTG over Ghostbusters and the reason is less risk to sell because it is new? Or is there something I'm missing?

You're not losing money on a used Ghostbusters Prem that you negotiate a good price on. The floor is established. GotG *might* be okay if the code shows up, but if you get a GotG Pro, you're comparing it to a GB Prem for less than $1k more used. Since your family liked the GB best, that makes the most sense and least risk.

#102 1 year ago
Quoted from Ccondo:

I just want to make sure I'm understanding the advice I am getting... I should opt for GOTG over Ghostbusters and the reason is less risk to sell because it is new? Or is there something I'm missing?

What he is saying is that most brand new machines liek cars lose some value over their original price. Especially if they are duds on the pinside 100 (lol) Ghostbuster has been out for a while and the value has already been adjusted therefore the price should remain cosistent on a used HUO. Therefore your best bet may be a used GB

#103 1 year ago

Are you intent on only buying new?

#104 1 year ago
Quoted from cosmicjim:

Are you intent on only buying new?

Originally yes, but now that I'm considering Ghostbusters I'd consider used since it isn't very old.

If I knew that GOTG would add more music from the movies I'd be sold on it. As it stands, "cherry bomb" may get a little old

#105 1 year ago

Where did you guys go? Does it have an updated location on the pinmap? I’d like to see what they had to get your opinions on specific games.

#106 1 year ago
Quoted from cosmicjim:

Where did you guys go? Does it have an updated location on the pinmap? I’d like to see what they had to get your opinions on specific games.

We went to Arcade Legacy: Bar Edition

#107 1 year ago
Quoted from Ccondo:

We went to Arcade Legacy: Bar Edition

Did you guys play medieval madness? How did they feel about it if they played it?

#108 1 year ago

Love my MMR it's the best... Will never leave my collection.

#109 1 year ago

So what did you buy?

#110 1 year ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

So what did you buy?

Nothing as of yet.

#111 1 year ago

Personally I love Star Wars once I figured out game play. Guardians will certainly get better the code is extremely early. Iron man I think is a great game for a collection but to in your face, fast and frustrating to be your only pin. Ghostbusters premium is available and certainly a good game.

Greg M
Pinballpro.com

#112 1 year ago

After sleeping on it, I really am leaning Ghostbusters, simply because we all liked it best. The play field seems so rich. Is the premium really the way to go?

#113 1 year ago
Quoted from Ccondo:

After sleeping on it, I really am leaning Ghostbusters, simply because we all liked it best. The play field seems so rich. Is the premium really the way to go?

Go to comics to games in Florence ky and play the hell out of that one. And try not to have dialed in sway you. Haha

#114 1 year ago
Quoted from Ccondo:

Yes so many more cool features on the Premium. The game is fun beautiful and well Coded. Wait till you battle Stay Puft Marshmallow man. It will put a huge smile on your face. Great theme fantastic music and the game is challenging enough it will not get old. Your family will become great pinball players. Also if you are into it there are a ton of mods for this game. Pull the trigger congrats.

#115 1 year ago
Quoted from Ccondo:

Just goes to show everyone is different. Everyone in my family (wife and kids age 10 and 14) hated Ghostbusters including me. We hated the extra large flipper gap and the kids weren't into the theme at all. They played one game and never wanted to play it again let alone buy it. I had been planning to buy the game and had to cancel our order. Obviously, don't let my view sway you -- it just shows that the games can be loved by one family and hated by another so buy what your family likes.

#116 1 year ago
Quoted from Ccondo:

After sleeping on it, I really am leaning Ghostbusters, ...

Quoted from Ccondo:

If I knew that GOTG would add more music from the movies I'd be sold on it. As it stands, "cherry bomb" may get a little old

Well if repetition is something you're not into, Ghostbusters may be hard to swallow

#117 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well if repetition is something you're not into, Ghostbusters may be hard to swallow

I take it that this is the draw for something like Star Wars, where you can choose 1 of 100 paths... I have a feeling what drew my family to Ghostbusters is more the play field and less the individual shots. If I can swing it, I think I'd like to buy Ghostbusters now and revisit GOTG and SW later...

#118 1 year ago
Quoted from Ccondo:

If I can swing it, I think I'd like to buy Ghostbusters now and revisit GOTG and SW later...

Always go with what the family likes...they'll be plenty of time for diff'rent/more games later!

#119 1 year ago

Ghostbusters is a cool game, doesn't have the LCD tho.

#120 1 year ago

Soon to have color DMD. Probably after new code drops next month.

#121 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

and every other pinball machine out there, what game doesn't get repetitive?

#122 1 year ago

Ghostbusters is probably more difficult than Star Wars, the flipper gap is HUUUUGE! Both are great games but both tend to be difficult. Here is my advice, buy what you want and don't worry about trying to please the whole family. They will play whatever comes in the house. Go play these games in the wild and see what one lure's you in the most with that one more game feeling. Then when you get bored sell or trade for one of the other one's on your list. Rinse and repeat-all of them are fantastic titles!

#123 1 year ago

Ghostbusters is very A then B then C objectives from what I understand. If so, it's at least worth considering if that will bore you sooner or not. I really liked and owned the old Capcom Pinball Magic game but it was the extremely sequential nature of the objectives that drove me nuts fairly quickly. I'm not sure that Ghostbusters is nearly as extreme in that way, but it is different than the other games that you are considering and let you select a mode. As usual though, the good advice is to buy what you like. I have several games that people often seem to like to hate for one reason or another: AVLE, Shrek, POTC. However, I like them and my family likes them.

#124 1 year ago

Go with what the family wants. Period, full stop, end of discussion. Will your family love it in 2 years? Probably not. Will they like any pin you buy in two years? Not likely. Hell, over half the of the people on this forum turn over over half of their games (or just don't play them if room isn't an issue) in two years. Get the game they like, enjoy the time together doing something together as a family...it ain't worth stressing over!

#125 1 year ago
Quoted from ibjeepin:

I disagree with this. This is a typical Ritchie pin (I own a pro and many other SR Pins). It can be a fast game but requires your shots to make something happen. Yes you can bash around with it but I dont think its apealing unless you challenge the shots

You can get locks by flailing... you score locks in the easiest shot in the game (plus a second shot).. and you can get a multiball by just flailing and hitting the center target. The game lets you play a mode without doing anything. The game will let you play multiple modes in a game without any success. The game lets you pick any mode, so you aren't forced into doing the same thing everytime. Besides the warp ramp, its very easy for players to see every shot and understand where they go and return. The game has a kickback that is easy to qualify.. and outlanes that are pretty easy. The game has a single clear objective to qualify modes. The game has a physical toy that is easy to instigate.

The only way it gets simpler is by having a bash target lower in the PF like xmen.

Quoted from ibjeepin:

Getaway is a fun pin but is not a theme pin. But since ST and SWLE its been just sitting, lonely. I do play in occasionaly so the ball can clean up the cobwebs inside Even has the original accelerator SR used in Star Wars! I do believe there is a relationship with the theme that is equally important to the average pinballer and non pinballer that does carry some importance.

It's cars and police lights... with a catchy, recognizable background song and a big 'wow' toy. It's harder on total noobs because you really don't do anything in the game unless you can make locks or orbits reliably... so there is no 'easy payoff' that is more common in modern sterns.

Having that 'payoff' is more important than theme to new players.

#126 1 year ago

Well, I wouldn't spend 6 to 8 thousand on a pinball game period. That being said, I have to laugh at the fact a person has to spend $1,800 more to get a Death Star to open up......If you are interested in a Star Wars buy a nice Data East one.

#127 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

and every other pinball machine out there, what game doesn't get repetitive?

Not as much as GB for me did; correct.

#128 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Not as much as GB for me did; correct.

I get that, but for me the most basic rule set to the most full and it usually gets boring at right around the same time frame.

#129 1 year ago
Quoted from PapaJohn:

Well, I wouldn't spend 6 to 8 thousand on a pinball game period. That being said, I have to laugh at the fact a person has to spend $1,800 more to get a Death Star to open up......If you are interested in a Star Wars buy a nice Data East one.

Excellent advice, so long as you don't care how it plays.

#130 1 year ago

I love my Star Wars to pieces but Ghostbusters is more fun to play for me.

I love the challenge of controlling the ball after the first plunge to then go for whatever the highlighted skillshot is and get a jump on a certain ladder. I also love that if you hit any other shot on the PF it counts as a miss and it makes you work a little to start a mode. I think it's a really genius idea. That element alone saves the game from being too repetitive to me.

Once you figure the system out after a few games there's really no reason to always start with Who Brought the Dog. Sure, all the modes are "hit this lit shot", but there's a lot of secondary stuff going on... hurry ups, capturing ghosts, etc... and I love that if you nail your shots in a certain order you can stack one mode into a different ladder immediately upon completion, or also stack with Storage Facility multiball.

Both games are completely polarizing so you truly need to sink some time into both to see what clicks. I'm a huge fan of Dwight's code so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I'd love to check out GOTG but unfortunately have not yet so no comment on that one.

#131 1 year ago
Quoted from Ccondo:

I think so, magna slings are cool and the subway ramp shot is awesome.

#132 1 year ago

Ghostbusters is a great game! And Ive owned both a pro and premium and premium is the way to go. Id definately buy used these days (not sure what you are considering) since new sterns are still having playfield and cab issues, and since for cosmetic issues their support is poor. That way you can inspect the game and make sure you are getting a good one.

Starwars is also exellent, however for a family pin, although ghostbusters is hard, its ruleset although deep is more striaght forward. Also slimer/magnaslings/goggles will blow your kids away

#133 1 year ago

Neither Star Wars or ghostbusters let you progress through the modes without completing them... not noobie friendly.

#134 1 year ago

I would get the WOZ

1 month later
#135 1 year ago

Find all 3 on location and give them a try. Buy the one that's the MOST FUN TO YOU. If you do that you won't give a crap about resell value because it most likely won't leave your collection. Some people tend to forgot these are games and should be fun to enjoy.

1 month later
#136 1 year ago

I recommend a Slugfest pitch and bat. 2 people can play at once, it has great sounds and animations, it’s cheap (compared to newer games), most parts are still available, and it’s just a lot of fun. If your family is into baseball at all, they will love it! Although, not technically a pinball machine, I think you should check it out if you have the chance. Hitting a grand slam with the ramp up is really satisfying. The game keeps track of many stats and you will all be fighting to see who has the most runs in a game or points scored.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Ballston Spa, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Mc Cutchenvle, OH
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside