(Topic ID: 41327)

Newbie in Knoxville, TN needs some help!

By VolunteerPin

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by RandyW
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

As you can see from the title, I live in Knoxville, TN. I am in the process of putting an addition onto my home which is going to house a large play area (pool table, ping-pong, foosball, air hockey) and a dedicated home theater.

I think I want to put a pinball machine or two in there as well. I've learned a lot in the last few days of looking over this site and reading a lot. However, I have a couple of problems....

1. I'm not really sure where in Knoxville to go to see/play some of these great sounding machines I've been reading about. (all me and one of my sons have played so far was Big Buck Hunter Pro and Games-N-Things)
    2. I want to buy a machine(s) which will have some longevity of play but also be fun for people who come over.
    3. Ideally, I would like a pin which will at least hold its value over time if not increase in value.
    4. I have money to spend but not an unlimited amount. Funds will be spent on A/V equipment and building the structure so if I try to convince my wife I have to spend $15k on a pinball machine she will probably think I'm nuts. I would like to keep my budget to $5k if possible on something that is either newer (Spiderman?) or something nicely restored.

With all this going through my head, I don't even know where to start as I've never played any of these machines.

Does anyone know a place in K-town to play some of these pins? Any suggestions for a newb such as myself? I want something that I will like so much I will feel compelled to buy more

Thanks for your help!

#2 11 years ago

Hopefully you can hook up with some local collectors and get some experience.

That will help a lot later when searching for a game. Or repairing them.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

http://www.pinballnews.com/ Check out Martin's Pinball News. A lot of great content and a diary section of up coming shows.

LTG : )

#4 11 years ago

and since you are in the designing stages of your game room, make plenty of room for some Pins, they tend to multiply very fast.

Chris

#5 11 years ago

Well, it sounds as if you have some time to make a decision. I recommend you look at the Pinside map and go play some machines to see what you like. You might have to drive some to play a good selection.
    Then, decide how much space you have. If you only have space for one machine then I would get a nice one. If you have room for more then I would go for a couple of cheaper titles.

#6 11 years ago

Check the "pin map" link at the top of the page for places to play in your area.

#7 11 years ago

If you want a pinball fix as well as the chance to play a bunch of games to see how you like them, check out Game Galaxy in Antioch outside of Nashville. http://www.gamegalaxyarcade.com

We also have games on route in Lebanon GG doesn't have like Baywatch, Hook, Lethal Weapon 3, Police Force, and the very rare Baby Pac-Man.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Well, it sounds as if you have some time to make a decision. I recommend you look at the Pinside map and go play some machines to see what you like. You might have to drive some to play a good selection.
    Then, decide how much space you have. If you only have space for one machine then I would get a nice one. If you have room for more then I would go for a couple of cheaper titles.

Yeah, the map was very helpful. Looks like there are a couple of bar/grill downtown which have a few. Looks like I might need to grab lunch and a pint tomorrow or Tuesday when I'm working downtown!

#9 11 years ago

Check out Nashville Area Pinball and Arcade on Facebook. Very helpful guys there.

Kitch

#10 11 years ago

And so it begins. Sounds like me 1.5 years ago. 14 pins later.

Buy a New ACDC or Tron Pro. Or if your good with tools. Craigslist for lower budget classic.

I started with a 800.00 Data East Lethal Weapon 3 and I still have it. Fun pin.

#11 11 years ago

MY VPin will be complete soon. IT is not exactly the same as a real table, but gives you a good idea of each table. You are welcome to come try it out when it is finished. I have in the order of 500+ tables on it.

And Welcome to the club!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-in-knoxville-tn-needs-some-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.