Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Polidori
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Hi folks, I used to play pinball quite a bit as a teen. 40 years later, looking to buy one for the game room. Don't know the lingo today so excuse the generic content here but I've noticed that the new machines all appear to be games that involve playing multiple balls at once. I've played those and, while challenging and entertaining, they are a bit frenetic for my taste.

Do any manufacturers make machines that play a single ball? Does anyone recommend any tried and true machines that have stood the test of time?

I am looking for a machine that is either new or fully restored. Not looking to spend time fixing or modifying anything, although I know over time, everything we buy will need maintenance or repair.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

#2 2 years ago

get out, play some games at bars, see what ya like.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from Theleeb:

Hi folks, I used to play pinball quite a bit as a teen. 40 years later, looking to buy one for the game room. Don't know the lingo today so excuse the generic content here but I've noticed that the new machines all appear to be games that involve playing multiple balls at once. I've played those and, while challenging and entertaining, they are a bit frenetic for my taste.
    Do any manufacturers make machines that play a single ball? Does anyone recommend any tried and true machines that have stood the test of time?
    I am looking for a machine that is either new or fully restored. Not looking to spend time fixing or modifying anything, although I know over time, everything we buy will need maintenance or repair.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Multi-Ball is always a special mode. It seems more modern games are using the multi-ball modes more and more. Any modern game from the mid-80’s onward are going to have some sort of multiball. But, if you go back to those early game they were more of a special mode. I take Elvira and the Party Monsters as a example. I can play many games and never achieve multi-ball. But in a much more modern game its rare to not get 1 or more mult-ball’s. So for you I’d recommend an early modern game, something from the 80’s or early 90’s

#4 2 years ago

Play as many games as you can. If your area doesn't have access to many games, you can look them up online or get the videogame versions to check them out.

There are quite a few listings on pinside, especially for restored pins.

#5 2 years ago

1980 William's Firepower.
    Steve Richie design.
    Voice, lane change, and multi ball.
    Fast, furious and straitforward.
    You will remember the awesome Sound effects, as William's used them for multiple pins, and Defender, Robotron, and Joust.

They built tons of them, find a nice one, prices still aren't high.

Welcome to the Party.

#6 2 years ago

Cyclone is a single ball, and there are some really nice ones out there.

#7 2 years ago

When you buy, see the machine in person and take it with you. There are lots of scammers out there - don't take a chance buying one far away and have it shipped. You may end up kissing your money goodbye.

There's a sticky thread at the top of the forum that contains a list of bogus websites trying to sell machines. Review that.

Once you get your machine, don't be afraid to ask questions here - there's lots of people who are willing to help.

#8 2 years ago

Let people know your location and try to meet up with some local collectors. Many people are willing to help you when it comes time for maintenance. They may also have some games to part with.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Theleeb:

I know over time, everything we buy will need maintenance or repair.

Don't underestimate this! Pins may need more attention than you realize. I was frustrated by this at first but I like troubleshooting and now (sort of) enjoy when a problem comes up.

As for what game to get, I'd strongly recommend going to a place that has a variety of games to play. Here in VT we have Pastime Pinball which has 70 years of pinball machines. Try to play "everything" and ignore the theme at first. I really dislike soccer but one of my favorite games is World Cup Soccer!

Oh, and to answer your question: For decades practically every game has had a multiball feature.

#10 2 years ago

All new games have multi ball and it’s become more and more the trend. So if that is not your taste look at an older machine. You mentioned you played a lot 40 years ago so you may really enjoy a game you remember from then. You won’t get out of repair or maintenance no matter what you buy so if that’s a barrier it may not be the hobby for you. A vintage machine in good condition may not necessarily be much more maintenance that a brand new game. Good luck!

Jack

#11 2 years ago

Go play every game you can in your area. Different games play different based on layout, maintenance, theme. You'll get a feel for what you like. I've bought games, and was sure I'd like them, only to either get bored quickly, or just not enjoy playing them. Sometimes you just can't get into a game for various reasons.

I picked up a police force awhile back just to scratch an itch, and loved it, once I got it shopped out, I hated the way it played. It was different, still love the theme...

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

All new games have multi ball

Nellie/Pabst/Primus don’t have multiball

#13 2 years ago

Thanks everyone, really appreciate your comments. I checked out pinside's arcade map. Kinda sad to see how few arcades with multiple machines are in my area (suburban Maryland). There are more in Baltimore, so will need to venture up there. Might have to check out northern Virginia. And very few sellers as well...and those folks only sell new machines, no restored. But I'll start looking into PA as well as it would be worth a weekend stayover if I find what I am looking for. Youtube has been great for at least witnessing a visual play experience...I've sampled some games from pinside's Top 100 list.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from Theleeb:

Thanks everyone, really appreciate your comments. I checked out pinside's arcade map. Kinda sad to see how few arcades with multiple machines are in my area (suburban Maryland). There are more in Baltimore, so will need to venture up there. Might have to check out northern Virginia. And very few sellers as well...and those folks only sell new machines, no restored. But I'll start looking into PA as well as it would be worth a weekend stayover if I find what I am looking for. Youtube has been great for at least witnessing a visual play experience...I've sampled some games from pinside's Top 100 list.

The arcade map is not a great resource as it relies on locations/people to update it. Search online for places to play pinball, you'll probably fine more locations that way than on the arcade map!

If you start another post and title it "Where to play pinball in (list your town)" you'll get people locally advising you places to go!

Quoted from Theleeb:

Yeah pinball is a machine made with a lot of plastic parts that a steel ball flies around! You're going to have stuff break. So you'll want to either learn how to fix them or find someone locally to work on it!

As others eluded too, you want to play games. Looking at YouTube videos and the Top 100 list is not always the best option to buying a pin. Opinions vary!

Welcome to the addiction and start looking at places to put machines as these thing multiply like rabbits! PLEASE dont post back that you're only buying one machine ..... it never works out that way!

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

PLEASE dont post back that you're only buying one machine ..... it never works out that way!

Funny that you mentioned that....was just realizing the coolness of having an EM as I really like the overall simplicity of the play field and mechanics of those machines....as well as the amazing technology embedded in today's machines.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from Theleeb:

Do any manufacturers make machines that play a single ball?

Not new games, some older ones to consider...

Bad Cats, Pool Sharks, Hotdoggin', Frontier, Big Game, Harlem Globetrotters, Stern Stars, Bally Strikes and Spares, Meteor, Farfalla, Flash Gordon, Skateball, Flash, Buck Rogers, Evel Knievel, Bobby Orr's Power Play, Gottlieb The Incredible Hulk, Sinbad, Silverball Mania, Mata Hari, Night Rider, Bally Playboy, Solar Ride, Alien Poker, Time Warp, Phoenix, KISS, Spectrum, Gottlieb Bounty Hunter, Dolly Parton, Lost World, Bally Star Trek, Tri Zone, Nitro Ground Shaker, Stern Dracula, Supersonic, Nugent, Black Pyramid, Laser Ball, Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball, Charlie's Angels, Hercules, Gottlieb Amazing Spiderman, and Gorgar are all one ball solid state games.

I'm sure I missed one or two.

#17 2 years ago

Find private sales on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace. More likely than not they will be pinheads happy to guide you along this path.

Research titles here on Pinside. Read the reviews but take with a grain of salt. The real dogs will be easy to figure out.

Expect to be under the hood a lot. It can be a scary sight at first but with small steps it’s easy to know a lot in a little time. Things WILL need to be fixed.

Make room because this is not a One and Done type hobby. Im sure everyone here will agree with this.

Or buy new…

#18 2 years ago

My opinion may be contradictory.

Many great suggestions and responses here. Your timing of buying your first pin is terrible. No offense but prices are the highest they have ever been and the supply chain is slow. That being said, the resale market is great if you get something you don’t like.

I was never into pins but my 9yr old is infatuated with Stranger Things and I decided to buy my first pin for Christmas. Not sure if it was a blessing or a curse. Im now obsessed. 10 months in, I own a Stranger Things, Jurassic Park, Simpsons Pinball Party, GnR and a few more on my wishlist. I never tried a single pin before I bought them. Wish I did for Simpsons.

As a noob, which you are not, I recommend buying a pin that has a theme your interested in. You will enjoy playing it regardless of what the experienced guys have to say about a deep ruleset etc.

I don’t care how much a game like Iron Maiden plays (no offense to IMDN owners) I wouldn’t want to play a game that’s constantly playing music I’m not into.

If there are a couple themes tour interested in, go try them out. If they are not in a local public area, look for members that have it in their collection. If there is one thing I learned this year… the pinball community is incredible. We have like minds and completely different background. Most would welcome you into their hole to try a game your thinking of.

Goodluck and happy shopping.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Theleeb:

Funny that you mentioned that....was just realizing the coolness of having an EM as I really like the overall simplicity of the play field and mechanics of those machines....as well as the amazing technology embedded in today's machines.

Maybe you want to look at Big Juicy Mellons, Pabst Blue Ribbon or Primus (all the same game just different artwork) as it’s a game that was originally an EM that was updated with today’s technology. They aren’t going to break the bank either. Just a suggestion.

#20 2 years ago

Try playing a Black Knight sword of rage pro model(no upper play field). It’s a modern game that came out in 2019. It only has 1 multi ball mode. The code is easy but challenging to learn and it’s a blast to play. Only downside it’s a fast game to play which will lead to quick ball drains. Good luck with your search and keep in mind pinball machines are like rabbits, they multiply very fast..

#21 2 years ago

If you can't keep up with multi-ball then I'm guessing you won't like LED bulbs. I would recommend SS or earlier for you. Nice thing about that is you won't have to spend as much.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from Theleeb:

You just missed the York show, in York,Pa. this past weekend. Lots of pins on freeplay and for sale. This show is a must see for the EM fan.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from Theleeb:

Might have to check out northern Virginia. ... But I'll start looking into PA as well as it would be worth a weekend stayover if I find what I am looking for.

Or you could devote a weekend to visiting Pintastic New England.
    https://pintasticnewengland.com/
    You'd see lots of games and be able to talk to lots of people!
    .................David Marston

4 months later
    #24 2 years ago

Are you new to the Pinball hobby?
    Thinking about buying a used pinball machine?
    Check out my last episode of the multi-part series on what you need to know!

#25 2 years ago

Make the drive to Crabtowne in Glen Burnie and MOM’s in College Park. Lots of old and new machines to play. When it comes time to purchase, make sure it's a theme that you enjoy.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-here-looking-to-buy-first-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.