(Topic ID: 226388)

Newbie here and problem (shuffle alley pins)

By rick3658

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Mopar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

magic (resized).JPG
    IMG_1380 (resized).JPG
    20181027_104916 (resized).jpg
    EE312479-996F-4558-A139-71890AEEC917 (resized).jpeg
    794583F9-329E-4CAF-BBA2-39C7ED3464F6 (resized).jpeg
    C3E1B77F-1BC4-4D2D-AC8C-EA8322E3888F (resized).jpeg
    4D92F5FF-0E21-417D-A1A7-E8F19A439CD0 (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

I bought a united leader shuffle alley and thought i knew that I could get replacement pins. Which you can but i did not know that there where different sizes and mine are 8.5 inch and I am not able to find any. Can anyone tell me where I could find some or if there is another type fix for it. And with being new any other hard to find or need to know advice for me on this machine.

#2 5 years ago

As far as I'm aware there are currently no reproduction 8.5" pins available. You just have to keep an eye on eBay or place a wanted ad on Pinside or Mr. Pinball. The good news is they seem to turn up more often than the earlier 6" pins.

#3 5 years ago

thank you

#4 5 years ago

I bought this game in edgerton wisc.

#5 5 years ago

You did? Ha that is weird. What game is it? I never saw it advertised.

#6 5 years ago

Like AlexF mentioned, keep looking. I have a United Cascade shuffle alley that uses the 6" pins, it needed a few pins replaced. I wound up buying a Chicago Coin 10th Frame Special "parts" machine that used the same 6" pins. I bought that for $50 and now I have extra pins plus I was able to use a few other parts from it to complete the restoration. I even kept the CC formica alley incase I needed a replacement just in case. So you may need to think out of the box.

Steve

#7 5 years ago

I actually sold a big group of 8.25" pins last year. There is a nice complete set on Ebay currently but you probably could buy a whole machine for the same money.

#8 5 years ago

united leader shuffle alley my wife found it on facebook market place

#9 5 years ago

Ah that explains it. I'm not on Facebook. Neat looking game, should be fun for you.

#10 5 years ago

yea really need looking just started cleaning it up short of pins and puck all seems to be there man was 80 years old that had it and still working just needs good cleaning and in time repaint but i got it for 100

#11 5 years ago

What would be a normal price for these pins know of some but 300 for the set seems high?

3 weeks later
    #12 5 years ago

Just added to the pinside group today! Mainly for pin ball ( new into that as well) but own a United Shuffle Alley “Team” machine. Formica has 1951 but papers say built in 1953. All there works great. Only issue is it doesn’t always go to the 2nd puck after you slide the first one. Middle of a good game and the. Nothing. Have to reset and start new game. I think it just needs the relays cleaned. But love it nonetheless. It is missing then plastic or glass shroud around the pins (not reqd to play. But would like to find one to restore it. ) and I think there was a flat glass as well under the pins? Mine are 6” pins.

4D92F5FF-0E21-417D-A1A7-E8F19A439CD0 (resized).jpeg4D92F5FF-0E21-417D-A1A7-E8F19A439CD0 (resized).jpeg794583F9-329E-4CAF-BBA2-39C7ED3464F6 (resized).jpeg794583F9-329E-4CAF-BBA2-39C7ED3464F6 (resized).jpegC3E1B77F-1BC4-4D2D-AC8C-EA8322E3888F (resized).jpegC3E1B77F-1BC4-4D2D-AC8C-EA8322E3888F (resized).jpegEE312479-996F-4558-A139-71890AEEC917 (resized).jpegEE312479-996F-4558-A139-71890AEEC917 (resized).jpeg
    #13 5 years ago

Ahhh, I have that exact same shuffle alley Nikrox2. As for the protective plexi around the pins and the flat piece underneath the pins... I flat piece I bought at HD, then cut to fit, and the curved plexi around the front, I actually had a picture frame that was the same width needed and extra long plexi, so I cut that to the length I needed and the with a heat gun, carefully was able to bend/curve it. Also, do you have the 2 metal "L" bracket needed to hold/mount the front plexi? If not I can take a pic of mine and you could possibly fab that.

thanks
    Steve

20181027_104916 (resized).jpg20181027_104916 (resized).jpg
    #14 5 years ago

Great ideas! I'll check into this. Hey, question - I see the dust/wax - the guy I bought mine form said to just use a spray furniture polish to keep it smooth, and not to use the power wax/dust stuff - does it help or hurt the machine? (Like gumming up the electronics?) In my youth, we always had the saw dust / wax, so I thought it was naturally needed. Let me know your thoughts on that one?

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nikrox2:

the guy I bought mine form said to just use a spray furniture polish to keep it smooth,

Yes, that Guy is somewhat right, but I also use the dust (wax) also.
    Before gatherings, I risk broom (actually I use a softer wall paper brush) the old dust, vacuum, then Lemon Pledge
    the surface, and then wipe dry. This makes the surface more slick so less wax is needed. I use Sun Glo Speed 3 wax.
    Fast, but not too gritty..
    Yes, I was also thinking that Cascade was a 1953, but was also sure that by the beginning of 1953, the 8.5" pins were
    being used..
    On the plexi surrounding the pins, for the last few years, I've been using 60/1000s (1/16") lexan. It bends to almost
    a point, and is much stronger than plexi..
    Just yesterday I finished a Bally bowler using the lexan. Many hours in this machine. It was missing the pin unit, pin hood,
    ball lift motor and belt, and the entire head which I gathered and pieced together. Very glad that I saved her, plus a hair
    more space now in the barn..

IMG_1380 (resized).JPGIMG_1380 (resized).JPG
    2 months later
    #16 5 years ago

That Bally ABC looks super! Nice job Mopar. Are the pins 8.5? I just got this one home and will needs some pins too.

magic (resized).JPGmagic (resized).JPG
    #17 5 years ago

They're not 8.5" pins. The ABC is a 1957. The 10" pins which the ABC uses came out
    in 1955..
    Unlike United from that era, your Magic Bowler's pins must attach with a couple of screws..
    What pins are you lacking? Once it's takin' off, can you take a pic of the backside of the
    broken pin? You can email direct if you'd like.. [email protected]

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-here-and-problem?hl=mopar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.