Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by terryb
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Ok, first I noticed one of the pop up bumpers was not working. Upon inspection, I noticed it was stuck down and could not even move it up by hand. This machine is a SS 1982 Gottlieb Devils Dare.

I ordered 3 new coils, making sure to order the proper part #. I was also told to replace the 3 old pop up bumper boards with the newest boards. All this was cheap enough, so it made sense.

I replaced all 3 coils, making sure to do one at a time and making sure everything went back they way it was. I noticed there were no diodes on the new coils, so I made sure to solder those on as well. Now, I didn't know or understand what the diodes were for, but after some reading, I do now.
I also didn't know it mattered what way the diodes were put on, but I DO NOW...lol

Ok, after the first time I fired it up, I blew all 3 of the 2 amp SB fuses. Upon reading and inspection, I noticed that 2 diodes were on one way and the third was on the opposite. After looking at all the other coils, I seemed to determine the correct way the diodes were to be soldered on.

This is where I am stumped. One of the bumpers works perfectly and the other to go immediately into the down position and hum, OFF goes the machine right away ( by me switching it off ).

I feel very confident in the way I have the diodes soldered on now, where do I look next ?
I am fairly mechanical, have a circuit tester, and a complete manual for the machine, but do not know where to start....

Did I pop a transistor ? Board ? Something more, something else I could have overlooked ?

I hope I explained in detail enough for someone to steer me in the right direction, any help is much appreciated. !!

Jim

#2 8 years ago

Do this,

You said one pop bumper works fine, so leave that one alone. You said the other ones activate immediately.

I would check simple stuff first like the leaf switches under each pop bumper making sure they are not closed from the start.

If that looks okay I would triple check the diodes are correct.

Then, yes I would check the transistors for those other two pops. Someone will post a link to Clays guide here shortly I am sure. I dont have it handy.

1 year later
#3 7 years ago

Thanks, we figured I blew a diode.....still learning, can you tell ?

#4 7 years ago

Check the leaf switches first as Rick suggested. More than likely when you installed the diodes backwards you blew the driver transistors.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
$ 64.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.00
$ 495.00
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 224.99
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 6.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 69.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 25.00
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 40.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 114.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 39.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Concealed Art
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
Tommy's Pins

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside