Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by zarco
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Brand new to this world (other than many hours playing when I was a kid).
I've recently acquired a Williams Space Odyssey machine that seems like it's in remarkably good condition for its age.
The artwork on the playfield and backglass are in near perfect condition, after a quick once-over.
Mechanically/electronically...not so sure.
The machine has not been used (likely not even powered on) for at least 10 years.

I'm looking for very BASIC guidance about what my first steps should be and, if this isn't the best place to get that help, a point in the right direction of where I should be looking.

Some of the initial specific info I'm looking for is;

-How to power on and test (basically).
-Which parts should I be counting on replacing immediately (and where's a good place for purchasing? In Canada?)
-Where can I find tech/operating manuals, assuming they exist.
-Any cleaning/restoring tips.

I'm hoping some kind soul is willing to mentor me a little, until I get up to speed. I expect that to be a quick curve as I have a technical/electronics/mechanical background and am a pretty quick study.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Sinballer:

Brand new to this world (other than many hours playing when I was a kid).
I've recently acquired a Williams Space Odyssey machine that seems like it's in remarkably good condition for its age.
The artwork on the playfield and backglass are in near perfect condition, after a quick once-over.
Mechanically/electronically...not so sure.
The machine has not been used (likely not even powered on) for at least 10 years.
I'm looking for very BASIC guidance about what my first steps should be and, if this isn't the best place to get that help, a point in the right direction of where I should be looking.
Some of the initial specific info I'm looking for is;
-How to power on and test (basically).
-Which parts should I be counting on replacing immediately (and where's a good place for purchasing? In Canada?)
I'm hoping some kind soul is willing to mentor me a little, until I get up to speed. I expect that to be a quick curve as I have a technical/electronics/mechanical background and am a pretty quick study.

Derp, not Space Shuttle - this is an EM. No PCB to worry about.

IPDB has a nice schematic:
https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2254

4 player version has a lot more documentation that will still apply to yours:
https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2253

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Sinballer:

-How to power on and test (basically)

Plug it in.

Quoted from Sinballer:

Which parts should I be counting on replacing immediately

Will diagnose once we have power.

Quoted from Sinballer:

Pinsiders will get it fixed. IPDB has the manuals.

Quoted from Sinballer:

Have to read VIDS1900 ultimate
restoration.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Step one, open the backbox and check the battery pack.

No batteries in this game. It’s electromechanical.

Sinballer: first step should be to check all the fuses in the game, both for continuity AND correct values. Check out pinrepair.com and their EM section for further reading.

#5 4 years ago

Thx for the speedy replies.
Especially appreciate the "plug it in" answer (but I guess I brought that on myself).
I'll try to fire it up (maybe a bad choice of words) and post when I have a better idea of operational status.

#6 4 years ago

Switch cleaning video:

Source to get the flexstone you see in the video:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-PLAST

#7 4 years ago

OK. I just plugged it in and powered it on (you didn't mention the power switch at the underside ).
I want to apologize in advance as I need a lot of work on the correct nomenclature for the components. Bear with me on that, please.
In no particular order, this is what I'm seeing;

All (or most, anyway) of the lights come on.
I don't believe the the START GAME button (red button at front) is actually resetting properly. The score counters are both at zero but the lighted-up MATCH number never goes out.
The ball never gets moved from the drain to the starting position (in front of the plunger).
The rest is easy...the only components that seem to work are the 2 areas beside the flippers that capture/detect/eject the ball and the 2 circular areas about halfway up the playfield (on either side) that also capture/detect/eject the ball.
The scoring targets, bumpers, flippers don't work.

I don't want to be a nuisance about this but if you could give me a jumping off point and some tips, I can start exploring on my own.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Sinballer:

OK. I just plugged it in and powered it on (you didn't mention the power switch at the underside ).
I want to apologize in advance as I need a lot of work on the correct nomenclature for the components. Bear with me on that, please.
In no particular order, this is what I'm seeing;
All (or most, anyway) of the lights come on.
I don't believe the the START GAME button (red button at front) is actually resetting properly. The score counters are both at zero but the lighted-up MATCH number never goes out.
The ball never gets moved from the drain to the starting position (in front of the plunger).
The rest is easy...the only components that seem to work are the 2 areas beside the flippers that capture/detect/eject the ball and the 2 circular areas about halfway up the playfield (on either side) that also capture/detect/eject the ball.
The scoring targets, bumpers, flippers don't work.
I don't want to be a nuisance about this but if you could give me a jumping off point and some tips, I can start exploring on my own.

Hi Bud,Is the game set on free play? If not just open the coin door you'll see switches near the coin mechs just click them a couple times it will add credits and see if you can start a game.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Hi Bud,Is the game set on free play? If not just open the coin door you'll see switches near the coin mechs just click them a couple times it will add credits and see if you can start a game.

Watch out for line voltage. Don’t know the setup offhand but does this EM have line voltage on the coindoor at all?

#10 4 years ago

For better and quicker responses, start your threads in the EM sections. Download both the manual and schematic.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Watch out for line voltage. Don’t know the setup offhand but does this EM have line voltage on the coindoor at all?

Yes very true, To the OP Can you take some pics and put them up?

#12 4 years ago

Throw a quarter in there cheapskate!

Welcome to Pinside.

As stated, check pinrepair.com
There is also YouTube

Again, checking fuses by removing each and testing with a DMM is a great use of time.

Hey, also pics!

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:Hi Bud,Is the game set on free play? If not just open the coin door you'll see switches near the coin mechs just click them a couple times it will add credits and see if you can start a game.

I pushed the switch on the coin door to add credits. It moves from blank to "1" but won't add any further.

Always careful (and wary) of line voltages but thx for the heads-up anyway.

I'm going to take the advice of Mikala and start a new post in the EM section.

Happy to include pics but what type of pics should I take/send?

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Sinballer:

Happy to include pics but what type of pics should I take/send?

with the power off take pics of the switches,wires, in the backbox and lift up the playfield and take pics of the bottom of playfield and the bottom of the cabinet were wires,transformer,ect. the more pics the better

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Throw a quarter in there cheapskate!

Hahaha!! why didn't i think of that!!

#16 4 years ago

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm

Someone mentioned this website but this is the source for lots of information! I printed this out because it has so much good information.

The start up sequence is the key as you are determining now. After that you get it to start you will have an easier time getting it running perfectly.

good luck! The EM forum here is awesome for helping people.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from QuietEarp:

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm
Someone mentioned this website but this is the source for lots of information! I printed this out because it has so much good information.
The start up sequence is the key as you are determining now. After that you get it to start you will have an easier time getting it running perfectly.
good luck! The EM forum here is awesome for helping people.

Love your avatar,These are Talls! Man!!! Haha!!

#18 4 years ago

This is what I do when a new/old EM gets dragged home;
Look in back box and under playfield for obvious problems like burned
coils or wire, loose/broken wires, blown fuses and fuses are the correct
value, bent contact and connectors that may not be fully engaged.

Next. make sure the score motor will turn by hand....this takes
a fair amount of torque but not too much or you'll strip gears.
Advance ALL steppers by hand including score reels in back box.
Very often these are stuck and some gentle persuasion will get
them moving again. Its a good idea to push on all relays too.
Some will be latching relays and you'll see a big bar and solenoid
that resets them. Make sure that works too.

Only after this should you apply power.

No matter what you're on track to learn a lot about EM's.
Don't be afraid to dig in. Quite often problems are quite simple.
Steve

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-help-request and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.