You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Flipper_Switch.jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

Hi all
Recently bought a Bally hi deal and today it shut of in a puff of smoke ?
Think I traced to a coil but don't know what it is / does and the paper wrapping doesn't seem to have a number on it ?
Anybody know what it is ? And the part number so I can try and get a replacement
Thanks in advance

#2 7 years ago

What is the coil on? Can you post a picture? If you can find the mechanism on the schematics/manual, it'll often list the part number there too.

#3 7 years ago

Even once you get a replacement coil you still have to find what caused it to lock on and burn up or the new one will just burn again.

#4 7 years ago

First thing I would check is to see if your game has the correct fuses installed in it. Make sure they are the right amperages for the pariticular "line of voltage" they are protecting. If somebody before you put a larger fuse in than needed, then you are no longer protected. We would rather have a fuse blow then have another coil burn up.

Next thing i would look for, with power off and main outlet plug removed from any wall outlet, is for broken wires near or on the coil that died.

Is the coil in the backbox(head of the game), or in bottom of the cabinet? If so there is typically paper stapled near those coils or stickers on them telling you what it is used for.

But as Mitch1985 said, you will need to find the short causing the coil to burn up before replacing with a new one.

#5 7 years ago

Coil is on underside of play field
Trying to upload image but keeps failing

#6 7 years ago

This is it ?

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#7 7 years ago

Is that the right flipper? Looks like it, but with different wire colors than the pic on ipdb.org.

http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1157&picno=44555&zoom=1

That whole assembly is looking pretty badly beat, it may even have burned just from binding up with wear, tear, and dirt. You'll be doing yourself a favor if you get a flipper rebuild kit and refresh those things.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/BFKIT80

#8 7 years ago

Hack - O -Licious

#9 7 years ago

Yeah it's the right flipper , just trying to source parts in the uk

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Daveyboy:

Yeah it's the right flipper , just trying to source parts in the uk

Well, you guys just quit the EU, but these guys might still sell to you.

http://www.pinball.center/en/search?sSearch=flipper+rebuild

#11 7 years ago

If its just the right flipper coil you can clip the wires off the coil the game should still start and play just without the left flipper working. If it doesn't still play then you have a bigger issue.

#12 7 years ago

Is that a slam tilt switch being used as a end of stroke flipper switch?

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Well, you guys just quit the EU

Its all about the tea.

#14 7 years ago

I don't know what the eos switch is but it's definitely different to the left side

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Is that a slam tilt switch being used as a end of stroke flipper switch?

That's what that is! I was staring at it trying to figure out what could possibly be going on

Quoted from Daveyboy:

I don't know what the eos switch is but it's definitely different to the left side

Basically, it's a switch that opens when the flipper is in the 'up' position to cut off the high power to the coil, which prevents it from burning up (like yours did, although that might have been another problem)

You should probably replace every component of that flipper, and redo all the wiring (I don't want to think about what the wires going into that plastic thing do).

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Daveyboy:

I don't know what the eos switch is ...

Pictures from EvanDickons IPDB link above and Marcos
Flipper_Switch.jpgFlipper_Switch.jpg

#17 7 years ago

I've never worked on an EM, but what the heck is that coil in the OPs pic?

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Starwriter:

I've never worked on an EM, but what the heck is that coil in the OPs pic?

Extra crispy flipper coil.

#19 7 years ago

Looks like the thrust and hold windings on that flipper coil are in different sections rather than overlayed like your standard flipper coil.

#20 7 years ago

thanks for help guys , I did as mitch1985 suggested and clipped the wires to the frazzled coil and it does power up etc , incidentally I don't think this coil was the same as original as had a different number on the wrapping so have ordered correct ones , will also order a new eos switch now I know that's also incorrect. ( thought it looked odd )

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Daveyboy:

thanks for help guys , I did as mitch1985 suggested and clipped the wires to the frazzled coil and it does power up etc , incidentally I don't think this coil was the same as original as had a different number on the wrapping so have ordered correct ones , will also order a new eos switch now I know that's also incorrect. ( thought it looked odd )

Do yourself a favor & just buy complete rebuild kits for both flippers along with the coils. If the linkages are worn out it won't play as well. Also, clean or replace your flipper button switch contacts too. Anywhere there can be a voltage drop it will weaken your flippers.
Might as well order new flipper bats too - old ones have the divots from set screws & it makes them hard too adjust flipper alignment properly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-help-needed?hl=starwriter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.