• 16 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Playdium
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• OXO Williams, 1973
#1 6 years ago

I just got my first machine (OXO). It's in generally in good condition but the left flipper is weak. I rebuilt the flipper, it was still weak so I replaced the coil and it's still weak. Any suggestions?

#2 6 years ago

check the connection for the power to the flipper. check the lines that carry the power to it from the board, they could be corroded in some areas and causing less power to get to the flipper. You could try to clean the flipper button contacts to that could help

#3 6 years ago

Williams EM right?

#4 6 years ago

Check the End Of Stroke (EOS) switch that the flipper activates.

Make sure it opens soon enough but not too soon. You want a good kick of high power before the switch opens and moves the coil to teh low power circuit

--Jeff

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Enginerd:

I just got my first machine (OXO). It's in generally in good condition but the left flipper is weak. I rebuilt the flipper, it was still weak so I replaced the coil and it's still weak. Any suggestions?

Weakness is seldom the coil.

If you have proper voltage at the coils, it's usually it's the EOS Switch not clean or not adjusted properly.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

#6 6 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. It is a Williams EM. I had replaced the EOS switch with the rebuild but maybe I need to adjust it. I'll also check the power connections. Thanks again I'll let you know how I make out.

#7 6 years ago

Same hear. Had a weak flipper on a Bally EM game. Changed out the coil and that wasn't the problem. Then changed out the EOS and adjusted. Strong flipper action now.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

Same hear. Had a weak flipper on a Bally EM game. Changed out the coil and that wasn't the problem. Then changed out the EOS and adjusted. Strong flipper action now.

Agree....

#9 6 years ago

When you have a weak flipper, does even pushing the flipper button seem... loose? On my JD the left flipper is strong and the button itself is stiffer than the weaker right side.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Check the End Of Stroke (EOS) switch that the flipper activates.

Good Call!!

#11 6 years ago

A flipper coil has two wire wraps; the power wrap is used to hit the ball. The 2nd wrap is put into series with the primary (power) wrap via the EOS SW. this adds resistances (ohms) and allows you to hold the flipper on without damage to the primary wrap.

#12 6 years ago

Or watch this from Steve Fury.....

#13 6 years ago

Also, make sure you hooked up the wires correctly when you replaced the coil. They can be confusing to some extent if you don't think about it. You likely need to make one the mirror image of the other. Look at the coil that is working correctly. Then look at the one that isn't. As a reference point, note which wires are thin and which are thick (coming out of the coil) on the lugs. Make sure your misbehaving coil is hooked up with the EOS power and switch the same as your good one. Don't ask me how I know this.......

#14 6 years ago

Cool video Steve, i have bought Design CAD 3d Max 23, may be a while before i get the hang of it but. Keep up the excellent video from every one on Pinside and other not to be mentioned sites, thanks.

Thanks Pin-it for sharing.

1 week later
#15 6 years ago

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice. I adjusted the EOS and the flipper works 100% now. Probably didn't even need the rebuild or coil change but what the heck - It was good experience!

My first pinball diagnosis and repair was a success thanks to the help from the Pinside community!!!

#16 6 years ago

Hey that's great. Another success story! Great bunch of people here!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball
$ 9.00
$ 6.00
$ 25.00
Displays
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 199.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 7,699.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
$ 5.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
£ 34.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 7.00
$ 109.99
$ 14.95
$ 219.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 399.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Bent Mods
$ 29.00
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside