5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MrFancy
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I’m new to the hobby and considering buying a 1960’s EM in good condition (meaning works 100% and has a lot of new parts on the playfield). I don’t know anything about maintenance and repairs but I definitely want to learn the basics. I expect to play it regularly but not heavily, say 20-30 plays/week.

What I want to get a sense of is, what am I getting into? Assuming I can fix minor issues, how often can I expect to have bigger problems that a beginner like me won’t be able to fix on their own? I know it’s impossible to say for sure, but for a typical 1960s EM would you say most likely a couple of times a year? More? Less?

Thanks for any input.

#2 5 years ago

For an EM, there's pretty much only two classes of issues. 95% will be the same simple easy thing, the other 5% will be crazy weird cases that you hope you don't run into. Most of my EMs have been running for years without issues, and those 5% ones don't usually crop up during normal use

#3 5 years ago

Start here:

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm

You'll want to print it all out so have plenty of paper & ink in your printer.

#5 5 years ago

If it really works as intended and you only play a dozen or two games a week, you should only need to worry about routine maintenance like waxing and replacing light bulbs. More than likely though, it's not exactly 100% and you'll need to clean some various things and adjust the gaps on some switches. It's all straight forward and Clay's guide will teach you just about everything you need to know. I'd recommend buying a box of replacement incandescent lightbulbs, some microfiber cloth, caranabu wax, some Q-tips, some 91% (or higher) rubbing alcohol, and a switch adjuster tool. That's a pretty good beginner toolbox for an EM. Also consider buying some new rubbers and a new ball if they haven't been replaced recently.

#6 5 years ago

The more you play an EM the better off you'll be as far as dirty switches. Let an EM sit for 6 months without playing and you're guaranteed it won't work right when you do.

#7 5 years ago

All of this is super helpful to me and I appreciate it, any other advice also most welcome!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-em-questions- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.