Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dgAmpGuy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hello. I have a 1969 EM Williams Paddock. The apparently always-supposed-to-be-on Lock Relay buzzes very loudly. I read somewhere in these forums to (and perhaps I misunderstood) cut one of the wires to this coil and simulate the relay switch positions when the coil/relay is on. So I cut a wire and shimmed the plastic switch mover accordingly.

Turned machine on. It lit up, accepted one of the credits that was already partially wound up on the credit wheel, reset its score reels, the main motor / cogs spin as normal, and then no ball is kicked out to play and nothing on the playfield works except some of the lights.

So then I resoldered the wire back to the coil and it's still broken as described above. I am a beginner and I am unclear what I broke.

(Additional relevant and/or irrelevant information: This is a machine that when I got it, the coin switches were bent closed and the credit wheel was maxed out and the max credit switch was bent closed. I straightened that switch, and understand how to set it to free play correctly. However, with everything set how it's normally supposed to be, the coin switches do not register any credits. Also, you can see the 25 cent relay switches spark when the machine's turned on. Lastly, the backglass "tilt" light is always lit up when the machine's powered on, if that matters.)

I hope I didn't destroy the machine. Thanks for your help.

#2 3 years ago

Loomis,

Best thing you can do to debug an EM is to get the schematic. The one for Paddock is available on IPDB:

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=paddock&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#1735

You should see the link for the PDF of the schematic and also for the Instruction Manual. The manual will have a step-by-step explanation of the startup procedure for the pinball. This explains what happens in the pinball when you go start a game. Following this and the schematic will help you on the debug.

Regards,

Alberto

#3 3 years ago

Hello, thank you, but I do indeed have both the manual and the schematic. I'm just too confused on how to proceed next. I understand the basics of the startup sequence, but trying to proceed to diagnose the failure is over my head still.

#4 3 years ago

There is a horse track in the middle of the playfield that is advanced by a stepper unit. Just watching the game play for this machine and it appears that the first ball will not get kicked out until the lit position on the track is on position 1 (the first insert to the right of the arrow on the track). If your score reels are resetting to zero, I would try to advance the stepper unit that controls the horse track to its first position.

I do not own this game, but I'll bet it is one of two steppers attached under the playfield towards the back.

#5 3 years ago

Was it playing before you did that? Sounds to me like it wouldn't have played anyway. You gotta figure out the tilt first. That should go out when you press the credit button.

#6 3 years ago

Don’t get discouraged. Anything you’ve done to it so far can likely be undone.

As other folks said, there are a couple of stepper units that need to work properly in order for the game to completely start up. The odds are that those need to be cleaned up.

There are many excellent resources online and in print to go over the basics of how to bring an EM back to life (and fix the little details to get it 100% functional).

Here’s one: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm

You can also search this site for paddock and see lots of threads with people fixing issues.

My wife and I have that game, so if you can describe exactly how far in the sequence that it gets, I can probably tell you what to look for next. When we hauled it home all it did was light up and spin the score motor

There are lots of helpful people here who will assist, but it’s always good to be methodical and aware of what affects what as you fix things. It’s not likely to be one little switch and then the whole game works perfectly.

Good luck,
Dave

#7 3 years ago

Ok guys, thanks thus far.

The tilt light goes out when a game start is initiated.
The four steppers in the machine have been cleaned.

The race track stepper properly resets to its starting position during the startup sequence. The score reels reset properly. A credit is consumed. A play is registered on the tally.

It appears to get to right before the point where it is going to finish the startup sequence and kick out a ball to play, and then no ball, and the playfield's dead.

Thank you.

#8 3 years ago

Is the ball count at 5?

Check the normally closed contacts on the game over relay, schematic location F12, blue-yellow-white to red.

That would explain no kicker and a dead playfield.

Dave

#9 3 years ago

Dave and others,

I am going to start a new thread and end this thread because I now have the game to where it finishes its startup sequence, kicks out a ball, and plays correctly, BUT the entire way that you add credits and start games was somehow completely botched by the previous owner, in ways that I do not understand how to reverse / repair. So figuring this out, which I'll explain in a new thread, was half the battle.

As far as what the problems were that prevented the startup sequence from completing, right prior to ball kickout, were as far as can tell, very dirty switches on whichever relays sit in the bottom of the cabinet below the pop bumpers. Either the reset relay the game over relay or both. I cleaned just about every switch very lightly with a flex stone and index cards soaked in alcohol.

On a side note, the chime coil, I also discovered, had seemingly stuck to the rubber grommet that it strikes, at some point, which must have become glue-like, and caused the two to fuse together and then melt the coil down.

#10 3 years ago

Coils melt because the relay switches that control them get stuck on. This can happen to a chime because the contacts on the point relay are not opening or because the relay itself stays stuck on because of a playfield switch or a score reel end of stroke switch not opening. When the game stays in this state for very long, the coils burn up/melt/etc.

Dave

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-disconnected-williams-lock-relay-and-broke-machine?hl=dgampguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.