• 24 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by GRUMPY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c060bbb4-2d79-4257-85b3-d63712ef7056_1.30010385d9bdb41e83b70d930896d177 (resized).jpeg
download (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

I finally decided to get into the game and bought my first pinball. 1985/86 High Speed. Game works pretty well. I want to get into repairing bits and pieces, but I have no need to do a major rebuild. I would love to show my 17 yr old son these things too as I am a firm believer that understanding what makes these machines tick is an important thing for all men to learn. (Coils, mechanical levers, general electronics....)

All of that being said, I would love for someone to point me in the direction of good posts to help me understand repair of the components and possible easy fix ideas.

My first question would be is there a good way to test and or fix a 7 digit alph/numeric display? My Player 1 display seems dead. It appears as though of my 4 displays I have 3 different types/styles. I assume someone replaced one of the alpha/numeric displays with something not standard. I looked online and couldn't find anything under 100 bucks! Is there an aftermarket replacement less expensive?

Thanks in Advance--I will keep looking around--but would love to spend my time in the most productive places so any help is appreciated.

The Dragon

#2 5 years ago

There's so much information here on this site, that I don't know where to send you first. Read the Pinwiki guides on repairs - that's always a good start. For the displays, search the site specifically for High Speed displays, or displays in the early SS tech forum.

Displays are not cheap, there's alternatives out there. I would look for LED replacements. Your current displays are likely 30 + years old, so they are likely near end of life. The advantage of LED replacements is you no longer need the high voltage power supply.

Not being sexist, but if you have a daughter, she needs to know the same stuff, too. My daughters all have a bit of this knowledge that has served them well - they know when someone is giving them BS about repairing something.

#3 5 years ago

Great game! Like @billc479 said, led displays are the way to go. All the aftermarket stuff is going to be around $200 but you get new displays and the display board. Plug and play and you’ll never have to mess with it again. If you intend to keep the game it’s definitely worth it. Here's the brand I have:

https://xpinpinball.com/product/xp-wms10877/

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from dragon2016:

My first question would be is there a good way to test and or fix a 7 digit alph/numeric display? My Player 1 display seems dead. It appears as though of my 4 displays I have 3 different types/styles. I assume someone replaced one of the alpha/numeric displays with something not standard. I looked online and couldn't find anything under 100 bucks! Is there an aftermarket replacement less expensive?

The top displays are the same type, they are called alphanumeric displays. You can swap player 1 and player 2 displays with each other and if the problem stays on player 1 then you may have a bad master display board or a bad ribbon cable. If the problem moves to player 2 then you have a bad display. The display glass can be replaced but are a bit spendy at @ 75.00.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The top displays are the same type, they are called alphanumeric displays. You can swap player 1 and player 2 displays with each other and if the problem stays on player 1 then you may have a bad master display board or a bad ribbon cable. If the problem moves to player 2 then you have a bad display. The display glass can be replaced but are a bit spendy at @ 75.00.

Try what Grumpy suggested as far as swapping the position of 1st and 2nd player. If you do need to replace just the one, you can.

Yes it's a bit less then replacing all of them, but you should think about it. The rest of the displays are 30 years old as well and can go out. If you have to replace another one down the line, you are already more then halfway into what a complete replacement set of *new* displays will cost. Think about how along you may have the game.

Congratulation's by the way. The first game I bought when I bought my first house was a High Speed. That was like 22+ years ago and I still have it.

#6 5 years ago

Check out the High Speed owners club thread. There are 49 pages of posts so unless your a big reader, just start by skimming through the pics in the gallery, and if you see an interesting photo, click jump to that post.

Owners thread
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over

Image gallery
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over?gallery#g

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Check out the High Speed owners club thread. There are 49 pages of posts so unless your a big reader, just start by skimming through the pics in the gallery, and if you see an interesting photo, click jump to that post.
Owners thread
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over
Image gallery
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over?gallery#g

Thanks so much

Is there anyway to see what the original thread titles are in the High Speed Forum--I will keep looking? I am definitely getting lost in a rabbit hole here. SO So So much information---thanks to all

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from dragon2016:

Is there anyway to see what the original thread titles are in the High Speed Forum--I will keep looking?

That is not a forum, it's just one big continuous thread about HS that has been going for 5 years, and continues. There are no individual post titles. You can ask questions there, give advice, show off mods, talk about issues, discuss game rules, etc.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

There's so much information here on this site, that I don't know where to send you first. Read the Pinwiki guides on repairs - that's always a good start. For the displays, search the site specifically for High Speed displays, or displays in the early SS tech forum.
Displays are not cheap, there's alternatives out there. I would look for LED replacements. Your current displays are likely 30 + years old, so they are likely near end of life. The advantage of LED replacements is you no longer need the high voltage power supply.
Not being sexist, but if you have a daughter, she needs to know the same stuff, too. My daughters all have a bit of this knowledge that has served them well - they know when someone is giving them BS about repairing something.

I totally agree with teaching daughters too--I just gotta figure out how to get her off of her phone first

thanks a million,

The Dragon

#10 5 years ago

Very nice first game. A great playing high tier machine

1 week later
#11 5 years ago

UPDATE--tell me if I am missing something before I go and spend a lot of money

I switched the Player 1 with Player 2 (cable switch) and got nothing--figured I would get this as player 1 display is blank during play.
I couldn't get the player 2 (a working display) to work on player 1 cable either? This got me thinking that the pins on player 1 might have a solder problem. Removed the board and took it to my buddy who says the solder joints look great. He also said that cables don't usually go bad and now I am wondering if there is something that I am missing? Does anyone see something that this newbie doesn't? I could not get my good #2 alpha numeric display to work in the player one slot and I was wondering if I might have 2 problems (bad output pin slot and bad display) or something else?

thanks in advance for all the advice

The Dragon

#12 5 years ago

Did you connect player # 2 cable to display #1?

#13 5 years ago

So lets see-
You switched them and then neither worked.

Did you put them back where the were originally, so that number two works again and number one doesn't like it was originally?

Or did you put them back in original position and they both still don't work?
See where you are after re-installing them to where it is was originally.

#14 5 years ago

Thanks for the reply gents--I hope this is clear.

I removed the player 2 cable from display and plugged it into PL1. Nothing showed on either display. I removed the player 1 cable and the display itself and plugged it into the PL2 (from display board--ribbon cable wasn't long enough) nothing. I think I tried every combo of cable and/or display to and from PL1 and PL2. The display 2 works when the config is back to what it was originally. I cannot get display 2 to work with PL1 (output pins) from display board. My display 1 looks funky too. This display seems like someone epoxy glued it to the board. (FYI)

It seems like I might have 2 problems display and display board (PL1)? and I was wondering if there is a good way to test any of these in another way. I am no expert, but I am mechanically inclined. I hope this makes it a bit more clear.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

So lets see-
You switched them and then neither worked.
Did you put them back where the were originally, so that number two works again and number one doesn't like it was originally?
Or did you put them back in original position and they both still don't work?
See where you are after re-installing them to where it is was originally.

Yes I have a PL2 functioning display after reconfig.

thanks

#16 5 years ago

Do you have a logic probe?

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Do you have a logic probe?

Nope--I am guessing I cannot use a multimeter?

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from dragon2016:

. That is too funny!
This is the logic probe I was referring to.

download (resized).jpegdownload (resized).jpeg
#19 5 years ago
Quoted from dragon2016:

please forgive my ignorance--does this logic probe check for continuity? I guess I could look it up right? Maybe it's looking for open/shut? I am just guessing here.

thanks for playing along--I just spent 2 hours cleaning my playfield and removing ramps and such to replace bulbs under the hard to reach areas and find it rather therapeutic--now I got to get a specific toolbox for this stuff and I am guessing one of these logic probe needs to be in there.

much appreciated

The Dragon

#20 5 years ago

Here is a link to Amazon for the probe.

Elenco Electronics LP-560 Logic... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Z9HAP4

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from dragon2016:

now I got to get a specific toolbox for this stuff and I am guessing one of these logic probe needs to be in there.

I use a fishing tackle box for this. Plenty of room for tools in the top, pull out divided trays for screws, nuts, bolts, washers, fuses, lights and any other pinball related items.

c060bbb4-2d79-4257-85b3-d63712ef7056_1.30010385d9bdb41e83b70d930896d177 (resized).jpegc060bbb4-2d79-4257-85b3-d63712ef7056_1.30010385d9bdb41e83b70d930896d177 (resized).jpeg
#22 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I use a fishing tackle box for this. Plenty of room for tools in the top, pull out divided trays for screws, nuts, bolts, washers, fuses, lights and any other pinball related items.
[quoted image]

this is a great idea--I saw a bunch of screws and nuts that I would like to make look more uniform inside. Is there an industry standard for screws and such inside?

You are of great help

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from detroitzoran:

Here is a link to Amazon for the probe.
Elenco Electronics LP-560 Logic... amazon.com link »

thank you

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from dragon2016:

Is there an industry standard for screws and such inside?

https://www.pinballlife.com/big-bag-of-everything.html

A good starter bag of hardware.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-alert-help-always-welcome?hl=detroitzoran and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.