Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Lobo2k
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lobo2k.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hey guys, just joined the site today... Grew up with a few games (when I was real young we had two real shit ones called like Monte Carlo or some shit like that) and then when my parents split my dad splurged on an actual machine and got "Freefall" by Gottlieb I think and Star Trek. Man, so much fun... Anyways fast forward 20 years later and I have my own teens and I've decided I miss the hobby enough to grab a game or two myself. Maybe even start a collection!

Anyways I have a few simple questions if hope to get some input on before buying.

1). Are newer games worth the sticker generally? Looking at the top 100 quite a few seen a lot more recent..

2). On that note, are new ones ever released that are stinkers? I look at the Beatles playfield for example and it looks insanely simplistic.... Reading some reviewers comments seemed to confirm my suspicions

3). Do machines generally hold value? I'm asking because I'm thinking of going big on a limited (looking at batman 66, Ghostbusters, Deadpool or Metallica). In the marketplace ppl generally seem to be asking close to MSRP from what I can tell ... Does that affect reality?

I've also noticed a lot of games ppl ask more than original MSRP ... Provided they are kept in good shape do a lot of these go up?

Anyways ya, lol, pure newbie questions I know lol thanks guys hope y'all are friendly, just wondering about point of views or there.... Would be nice to know I could buy a nice limited, play it for a bit and still have an asset

Cheers

2 weeks later
    #19 4 years ago

Wow guys thanks for the great advice!! I posted this and actually thought no one commented (the only forum I'm on that is similar to this notifies me of replies....didn't see the notification on this one)

I have been doing what was said by all you and great advice. I found an app that lists all the machines in the area and have played them all. I have a serious addiction to Sopranos, Deadpool, Elvira Party and Road Show. There would probably be a much larger list if there were more machines available lol - there's only about 30 within an hour of my house. Like mentioned above, everyone is different... like my buddy loves Star Wars I can't stand it. I do know I'm not a fan of the older ones. Probably Pinbot is about the oldest I'll go.

Thanks for the great advice.... thinking of getting Deadpool Limited NIB but man it's pricey. Was offered a Pirates of the Carribean for 7500 Canadian. Seems a bit high, but it's a friend and he'll let me do installments which is nice.

And ya...... just cleared a big area in the basement

Thanks again everyone, hopefully I get my first pin soon!

#20 4 years ago

The old Stern Pirates of the C that is. I've never played it actually, excited to go to his house and try it.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

The (old) Stern Pirates is a great pin, but not at $7500 canadian which is about $5800 US. I just picked one up for $3600 US. It is a super fun pin and great for beginners.

Ya I agree (it's high).. Its uncirculated orig owner, but still seems high. I showed him Pinside prices and he showed me some Ebay asking prices (which were all 7500 USD). So looks like we are at an impasse lol.

Not only that but he's 5 hours away and would want me to come pick it up as he's never shipped one....

There's really not much in Canada vs the States....that's another thing

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

he's no friend, he's taking advantage of you. I love Potc and have owned it for 12 years but it's worth $5000 (US).
    I just did the conveston and $7.5K (Can) = $5744 (US).
    Should have Color DMD too if it doesn't then you're looking at another $550 (Can) to buy that.

Well that's not too too bad, like I said earlier pins are harder to come by up here! The other thing too I didn't mention (or maybe did, but forget) is it's a HUO machine. He's either the original owner or the second. It's minty from the pics I've seen and (according to him) hardly played. Hardly maitained I would imagine too... At any rate, I'm probably holding off on POTC since I've yet to even play it. There's a 2 day show in Ottawa September 21/22, hoping there will be some Stern / JJP reps...the sponsors are the nearest distributor, I visited their showroom and while playing for 5 hours was fun I would still like to consume a bit more..... although I'm narrowing it down quite a bit!

#33 4 years ago

So I've played quite a bit in the last 2 months....

Elvira Party Monsters (really like this one for an old title!)
    Road Show (love this too but looking at a new one prob, also I think it would get old quick)
    Ghostbusters (fun but hated some of the sound, like insane loud screaming despite volume being down)
    Black Knight old
    Black Knight new
    Octoberfest
    Houdini
    Wrestlemania (for the $ guy was asking I'm considering!)
    Stargate
    Starship Troopers
    Iron Maiden
    Sopranos (love)
    Simpsons Data East
    Star Wars (hate)
    Walking Dead
    Monster Bash (new ed)
    Attack from Mars (new ed)
    ... and a bunch more I can't think of off the top of my head...

Played everything above at least 20x.... the winners so far are... Deadpool and Metallica. Man, tough choice.... anyone have input? I read (here) the Deadpool / Metallica thread, or a lot of it, but wondering if anyone has some input as far as which one is harder / has more to offer in that respect. I find both themes super fun. One thing I like (about DP) is it would be going in my man cave and I have a lot of comic book stuff already.... but Metallica is wicked too... sigh. Maybe I should just get both. Anyone know a good divorce attorney?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lobo2k.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-advice-3?tu=lobo2k and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.