Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Phat_Jay
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

So I got a 1973 Darling, that I've been told works. Not junk, but is a long way from Mint. My 1st machine. I don't want to restore it, but I don't want to damage it more than it is. so, some "Preservation" questions. I haven't put it in place yet (Or put the legs on) So suggestions welcome

#1: Cleaning. There is no back panel on the head, so it's full of dust. Shopvac OK? I presume that under the playfield is equally dusty.

#2: Backglass. In decent shape, but some damage around the bottom edge. Again,It's currently off, so I can do stuff. Seal it? With What? Or is that a Major Mistake?

#3 Playfield: Some obvious wear, and some crap paint touchup. Rubbers are new. Wax? Seal?

Again looking for a "Player" machine, not a "Collector". But I want to keep it in good enough shape that if someone wanted to restore it, I'm not adding extra work. Thanks again for helping a Newbie out.

#2 6 years ago

It would be nice if you could blow it out instead of trying to vacuum. A shop vac can damage soldered wiring unless used carefully.
I am in the "Seal with Krylon Triple Thick crowd,especially if peeling has started. Gives a nice hard finish to touch up on.
I would have to see the playfield but it sounds like a good cleaning with Naptha (to remove old wax) would be a good start.At that point I could access the "crap paint touch-ups).
At the least 2 coats of carnuba wax after the naptha clean before playing. Get a new ball.
Pictures would help.

#3 6 years ago

Shop vac or an air compressor should be fine for cleaning it as long as none of the labels come off . Back doors are hard to find, but you can make one out of plywood.

You can seal the backglass with krylon triple thick, but if bits aren't freely falling off I wouldn't bother to be on the safe side.

As long as none of the paint on the playfield is flaking off, cleaning it with a light abrasive should be very safe. I use novus #2 for playfields and have never done any damage (just don't do multiple passes). Novus 1 is generally safe for anything on the playfield (plastics, posts, etc). Then wax with pure carnauba
Get a new pinball and rubbers.

#4 6 years ago

1. Vacuum or use low pressure compressed air. These machine are pretty robust, so it's rare you would cause any problems with "air" cleaning.

2. No need to "seal" the backglass. Sealing a backglass should only done in extreme cases where most of the paint is ready to fall off the glass. There are different techniques of touching up a backglass without sealing it. Search "backglass paint touch up" for additional info...

3. No need to seal the paint on a playfield either. Spot touch ups of the paint are best on a playfied. A common technique is to clean the playfield with naphtha, complete paint touch ups, clean with Novus 2 and then apply a wax like caranuba wax. There are many posts on Pinside about how to restore and clean a playfield. Search for "playfield cleaning" and "restoring playfields."

#5 6 years ago

Thanks folks. When I actually get it unloaded, I'll take some pics.

#6 6 years ago

Just don’t let it sit in a hot/cold vehicle!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-73-darling-do-no-harm-qs?hl=fredsmythson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.