Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by grantopia
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2018-04-28-11-19-33 (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-04-28-11-19-23 (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-04-28-11-18-48 (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-04-28-11-18-32 (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-04-28-11-18-22 (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-04-28-11-17-48 (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-04-28-11-17-15 (resized).png
    #1 5 years ago

hello everyone, i go the pin ball bug early with an amusement park with big arcade close to my house, spent many hours playing in the late 60's early 70's but other than playing here or there when i would come across a machine not that much, By chance last week came across a MM at a local mall in upstate ny and played it a bunch , so fun !

so now the need for a machine of my own is burning a hole in my brain, thought i would be happy with and older simple layout machine but on reflection think i need more of the exploding castle, trolls , ramps etc of a newer game.. would love a mmr , woz or poc but i think i will start with something less costly

Would appreciate any r input on what would be a good choice in this price range, .I live about 4 hours from allentown and thinking i might go down there with a pickup or van and cash and buy something, if you have any input on good choices or if you have one to sell and will be there would love to hear from you . thanks john

#2 5 years ago

You should be able to find a pin to buy at Allentown. You might find some good info and what is available by posting in this thread, if you haven't already:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinfest-2018-buy-sell-trade/

Good luck with your first pin!

#3 5 years ago

You should be able to find a title that reminds you of the games you played in your childhood very easily for that price. Every decade further add about another $1,000.

I usually stay away from recommending specific titles. Just start looking around and see what is available locally, and check the games out. Too often people get tunnel vision, that's how you end up paying too much or getting a game that's not newbie-ready to plug and play.

DEFINETLY go to Allentown. Perfect chance for you to play 100 different games or so in one place and find something in your price range. Bring as much cash as you are willing to spend.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjj:

so now the need for a machine of my own is burning a hole in my brain, thought i would be happy with and older simple layout machine but on reflection think i need more of the exploding castle, trolls , ramps etc of a newer game.. would love a mmr , woz or poc but i think i will start with something less costly

You are definitely going to need to play a bunch of games in the price range you are willing to spend. You are not likely to find any with fancy exploding toys, but you could find some with ramps. Be aware that not all the machines are good buys at shows, the last one I went to had some grossly overpriced games. One was almost double my estimated street value and was a real turnoff because it was peppered with rainbow puke LEDs. If you can, I would recommend taking a friend or meeting up with someone you trust to help evaluate prior to purchasing.

#5 5 years ago

Thanks for the good advice! for transport home are the legs and back glass normally removed? ( have a mid size station wagon and wondering if a pin would fit inside) versus borrowing pickup truck.

#6 5 years ago

What’s your location?

#7 5 years ago

Always transport with legs off...ask black rose what happens when a pinbot is transported on its legs.

Backglass depends...if it's in a head that doesn't fold down and is real glass remove it and wrap it. If it's in a head that folds down or is a plastic translite, leave it in head.

For $1500 you'll be hard pressed to find a decent playing DMD era game. Not impossible but will require patience and luck. Best bet is to attend shows or find an arcade that has pins and play as many as possible. Especially the system 11 era Williams games. These are still the best bang for the buck, imho.

#8 5 years ago

Honestly, at that price range and looking for that many features, I'd stick with System 11 games for the most part. Most are in that price range, most titles had big runs which makes them available, parts are readily available, and games from that era still make the Top 100 list even with DMD and newer games continuing to come out. Working on one is a good entry into the hobby and will let you know if you've got the patience for it.

Screenshot_2018-04-28-11-17-15 (resized).pngScreenshot_2018-04-28-11-17-15 (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-04-28-11-17-48 (resized).pngScreenshot_2018-04-28-11-17-48 (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-04-28-11-18-22 (resized).pngScreenshot_2018-04-28-11-18-22 (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-04-28-11-18-32 (resized).pngScreenshot_2018-04-28-11-18-32 (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-04-28-11-18-48 (resized).pngScreenshot_2018-04-28-11-18-48 (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-04-28-11-19-23 (resized).pngScreenshot_2018-04-28-11-19-23 (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-04-28-11-19-33 (resized).pngScreenshot_2018-04-28-11-19-33 (resized).png

#9 5 years ago

Seriously, I would plan to spend up to about $2250.00 and have way more options.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Marty_Graw77:

Honestly, at that price range and looking for that many features, I'd stick with System 11 games for the most part. Most are in that price range, most titles had big runs which makes them available, parts are readily available, and games from that era still make the Top 100 list even with DMD and newer games continuing to come out. Working on one is a good entry into the hobby and will let you know if you've got the patience for it.

Wow look at that awesome list! Easily 3/4 of those games are classics

#11 5 years ago

4 hrs. from Allentown. If you're in N.Y., you could possible be real close to where I am.
    I have quite a few machines set up from the era that you remember..

#12 5 years ago

could always pick up a sharkey's shootout for 1500-1600. Think it's the cheapest late model stern I know of.
    is there a cheaper one post 2000?

#13 5 years ago

should be plenty of games to find for that amount, but i would maybe budget for a little higher amount. many more choices that way. the list provided in a prior post should give you good ideas. best of luck getting one!

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

could always pick up a sharkey's shootout for 1500-1600. Think it's the cheapest late model stern I know of.
    is there a cheaper one post 2000?

Not any more!
    People are catching on to how fun and rare this game is. Besides, the days of modern DMD pins for under $2000 is over, unless they are beat to shit. I payed $1700 for mine in 2014. Payed too much for the condition it was in. Put tons of work into it and LED's and some mods. No way in hell I'm selling it for under $2200!

Don't know if there's a cheaper one to be had post year 2000, but definitely less fun ones.

#15 5 years ago

thanks for all the replies, i am in finger lakes / seneca falls ny area f any reasonable close has something in that category, just got back from strong museum of play , played a bunch of machines , good fun played a lot of the high end machines all great for the most part , starting to agree with the suggestions to budget a little higher , thanks for the great list of titles to look at !

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjj:

i am in finger lakes / seneca falls ny area f any

I remember shortly after Filthy Nastys changed hands having a ball bowler in the
    Tavern on the Flats (right along the canal docks). Nice little happening Saturday night bar..
    I'm in Newark, but just have Wedge Heads and a few EM multi-players..

#17 5 years ago

I have about 10 pins in that price range if you care to PM me. I've done quite a bit of shipping pins too. The best deal now is the Fastenal store to store which is usually less than $200.

#18 5 years ago

Just remember, expensive doesn't necessarily mean better. Stick to your guns. You DO NOT need to spend a lot on your first pin.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Just remember, expensive doesn't necessarily mean better. Stick to your guns. You DO NOT need to spend a lot on your first pin.

Agreed! My first game was Space Shuttle and it's well within your price range and would probably be one of the last to leave my house. It has ramps, sweepable drops, physical locks, a gate, spinner, and stand ups...really a nice mix of "features". It's also relatively easy to work on and a great starter pin, but really fun all around. I agree with this post though, don't spend more than you're comfortable with or can afford until you know if you like owning these dumb things

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-1500-machine-wanted?hl=pinpilot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.