Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190215_184318 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190215_184252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190215_184311 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190215_184302 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190215_184232 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinhead52.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from DanDaMan:

Just bought my 1st pinball - a 1970 Gottlieb Aquarius - got it for $250 CDN in working / playable condition. The positive - 1) everything seems to work and it is playable, 2) previous owner said the rubbers were replaced not long ago, 3) it is a working pinball machine for $250. The bad - 1) missing the top glass, 2) cabinet and backing cosmetically bad with lots of scratches and wear in the wood and paint (I'd rate it a 3 out of 10), 3) playfield not much better cosmetically, 4) the slingshots don't have much punch, 5) one of the pop bumpers is sticking in the closed position, 6) some of the bulbs out, 7) buzzing noise from the coin mech area. So based on my description I have a few questions:
1) did I get a good deal - not really sure what this machine is worth in both rough shape and if I were to restore it
2) how do I get the slingshots to get more punch? Can I spray a lubricant on the relays? BTW - the rubbers look good so I think it has to do with the relay
3) how do I fix the sticking pop bumper - again can I spray some lubricant on it?
4) i'd like to clean up the playfield - what "home products" can I use to clean and shine it up?
5) with the cabinet in rough shape, what is everyone's opinion if I were to paint the cabinet? Would that totally de-value this machine even though it is rough today in stock form?

Fun game, good game to cut your teeth on, not too complicated. Post a couple of pics and we can better comment on whether to repaint or leave original.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Welcome to the hobby. And yes pins multiply. My first turned into 5 in 6 months. My semi nubi advice. Work on the mechanical problems. Then decide if you like it enough to do the cosmetic work. And listen to all the people above this post who really know what they are doing.

Yes , get it playing, see if its a near term keeper or a long term keeper. Generally you are not going to recoop all your investment from a full up restore. But if you love the gameplay and want to make it nice, go for it.

#18 5 years ago

it is going to lift paint. if you attempt, I'd heat it up with a hair dryer.

But yea your cab is a nice original, no serious reason to repaint.

#21 5 years ago

Overload on questions...

one answer
http://www.pbresource.com/ is your 1 stop shop for gottlieb EMs including bulbs

The best way I put games on free play is with an alligator jumper on the credit wheel to keep the start circt closed. You'll see pvc coated wires on the credit wheel contacts...jumper these two

If you dont have a cir diagram you can get one from the place above.

playfield touchups is a real art, sometimes best left to the professionals.

there is a relay on the door that will normally reject coins if the game is off. These get fried and tend to buzz. For folks that dont bother with coin chutes then we disconnect these relays. If you want the chutes to work this coil will need replacing.

Get to know the M N L scoring relays in the head, these drive the reels. They usually need their contacts cleaned up or you'll run into erratic scoring issues (as you have observed). I usually manually close/pulse these relays when i first get a game to see what mait is required on the relays (clean contacts) or the reels such as 9s rollover.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from novaguy:

Check out Universe.

Central Park and Hurdy Gurdy has fixed flippers at top...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinhead52.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newb-just-bought-70-gottlieb-aquarius-need-advice?tu=pinhead52 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.