Newb ? after 5 years of pin ownership...leg protectors or no?

(Topic ID: 206367)

Newb ? after 5 years of pin ownership...leg protectors or no?

By VolunteerPin

8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by RobKnapp
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

KISS 11 (resized).jpg
100_0018 (resized).JPG
IMG_4032 (resized).jpeg

#1 8 months ago

Brought home a very nice SMVE today. It has the black offsets for the legs but not the metal offsets. Previous owner had leg protectors which looked really good and the decals show no wrinkling. Is there any reason to use or not to use the leg protectors in this situation as far as decal protection goes? I'm thinking I can leave the protectors on since they look good and the decals are fine but wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the input.

Darin

#2 8 months ago

While I prefer the metal protectors, the plastic ones are fine, as long as the legs aren't touching the cabinet.

#3 8 months ago

So, does adding the leg protectors in this situation actually make it MORE likely to harm the decals? I just like the cosmetics of them on there which is why I'm asking.

#4 8 months ago

Are you talking about the larger ones that stick out from the legs?

#5 8 months ago

These...

IMG_4032 (resized).jpeg

#6 8 months ago

Those were originally made to cover existing damage. I personally don't care for them and yes, they can make marks in your decals. Not always, but they can.

I use nothing but these on all my new games.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2711

#7 8 months ago

Great thanks.

I've used the metal ones numerous times in the past which is why I wasn't 100% sure on the black plastic ones.

#8 8 months ago

Doesn’t stern cut their decals around where the legs sit now a days anyway?

#9 8 months ago

I have these on all of my machines, not visible and no leg to wood contact!

ebay.com link » Pinball Cabinet Leg Protectors Original Black Color Not Copys Free Shipping

#10 8 months ago

those are fine for stencil or screen printed cabs and not for decals (I think they even says that on some sites that have those).
take those things off man, asap. People tend to use them to cover existing damage, but eventually I would assume that same damage would trail out beyond that protector. Now the leg has more contact area to crinkle the decal.

As for the felt ones, those things can/will get stuck to the cab and might pull off existing paint or the decal with it. not worth the risk.

stick with the metal ones, even the plastic ones stern uses are descent.

#11 8 months ago

Yes take them off.

#12 8 months ago

We use the small plastic leg protectors and also felt. On every machine and have always done so and will always do so. Stern s now have the small plastic leg protector standard, most other manufacturers use the metal ones. We still fit the felt.

There is nothing worse that crinkled decals or worn through paint. It is extremely difficult to repair and is easily avoidable. Keep your machines looking as good as you can for as long s you can.

#13 8 months ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Yes take them off.

I agree, take them off unless they are already covering creased or crinkled decals. Those protectors are designed for old machines that have worn through to the wood. They hide lots of wear marks.

#14 8 months ago

I use Felt pads on all pinballs prior to STERN X-Men when STERN added the extra metal bracket to extend the legs away from the side art . As I understand STERN do not need additional leg protection . I do not see any damage to my STERN side art from 2012 onward . LOTR LE with Felt pads. KISS LE with no Felt pads as I do not think you need them . But now this thread has me wondering on STERN 2012 onward ??? Please clarify if I read the STERN Read Me correct about not needing leg protectors any more since 2012 .

100_0018 (resized).JPG

KISS 11 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 28.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 14.95
$ 16.95
$ 63.00
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside