(Topic ID: 196484)

New York..

By Coyote

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6876 (resized).JPG
    There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

So, I've never been to NYC before.
    I'm currently in Port Chester, NY through tomorrow. Then I'm meeting a friend, and likely going to head down into the city.

Taking the train in to Grand Central, plan on at least seeing the outside of the Library (Ghostbusters!) and then Central Park.

Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on other smaller, more local things to check out? (I'm all for the local scene.) Won't have a car, so taxi or subway would have to do to get there.

Any pointers are welcome.
    -Mike

#2 6 years ago

To be honest I don't travel to New York often but my friend and I recently found H line. They turned an old new your freight train line into a very cool walking park that's tied into the railroad track. Not sure how close it is to your location.

#3 6 years ago

World trade center memorial is a must. Central park, times square, empire state building, Brooklyn bridge, ferry to statue of liberty. All are quintessential NYC stops, but of course tough to do in one day. The public library is one of my favorite places. Be sure to go into the rose reading room to see a glorious place (if it's not still under renovation which I think it is). I'd show you around but I'm not home myself. And pick up a pastrami sandwich at Katzs Deli while you reenact the scene from When Harry Met Sally. Have fun...

#4 6 years ago

Rockefeller Center, Met, Dinner at Tao's, 9-11 Memorial, Shopping on Canal st, Wall street, Cloisters, 1/2 Price Ticket booth for a Broadway show in Times Square, Aircraft Carrier, and all thats with it...thats cool.

#5 6 years ago

sunshine laundry in Brooklyn and there are some great Barcades around the city. Just type in pinball or arcade in your goggle maps and go! Subway will take you everywhere you need

Enjoy!

#6 6 years ago

Go to Coney Island and ride the cyclone. Doesn't get much more New York than that place.

They have a pinball room now at the freak show.

IMG_6876 (resized).JPGIMG_6876 (resized).JPG

#7 6 years ago

If you're looking for pinball action in the City, a good option is Modern Pinball NYC. http://www.modernpinballnyc.com/ On 3rd Ave at around 27th St. You pay by the hour for free play on about two dozen machines.

Uber is an option for getting around the City too.

Have fun!

#8 6 years ago

Chinatown , little Italy. SoHo.

Take a taxi to canal and Mott st. That is near Chinatown and little italy.

#9 6 years ago

Check out the east village and lower east side. BTW Port chester has some great restaurants and the Capitol theater, one of the best live venues and Jerry "Garcias" Bar.

#10 6 years ago

I don't want to be "that guy" on Pinside, but if you've never been to the Big Apple before, DO NOT spend time playing pinball. There are so many things to check out, do the Statue of Liberty,or the Harbour tour, or chinatown (just in general), or times square - hell, go to a broadway show. Go to Circle in the Square, or just go big and do the Lion King. lol it may not be up your alley, but you'll never experience anything like that again. Or check out the Metropolitan Museum of Art (my all-time fave, and I've been to a LOT of them), or the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA). Truth in advertising, we are Patrons there, so I'm biased.. but it kicks some serious ass. There are a LOT of things in NYC that you cant' find anywhere else - go do that stuff! Go to Times Square at NIGHT. IT is so bright it is like being there in the daytime, but a lot less hot. Same amount of people. Don't waste too much time in Times Square - it's amazing, for about 20 minutes. Then get in a cab and get the hell out of there.

#11 6 years ago

Sunshine Laundromat is open late. It won't interfere with those other activities.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Sunshine Laundromat is open late. It won't interfere with those other activities.

Plus you can do your laundry.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

DO NOT spend time playing pinball.

Pretty much this. I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of NYC. It's just too intense for me, especially in Times Square. If I had a dollar for every time some annoying street "artist" guy shoved one of his mixtapes/CDs in my hands and tried to make me buy it, I could buy myself a DILE. Still, you gotta go just to check it out. There's a little stand nearby that sells broadway tickets for last minute shows for like half off.

My idea of a good time is to go get lunch someplace (check out Stone Street), people watch, then check out the museums or Central Park, or the High Line (a park that has been built into an old abandoned elevated railway). I know you're a train guy, so you might want to check that out. Like others have said, the 9/11 memorial is harrowing, and definitely a must if you can swing it.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Pretty much this. I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of NYC. It's just too intense for me, especially in Times Square. If I had a dollar for every time some annoying street "artist" guy shoved one of his mixtapes/CDs in my hands and tried to make me buy it, I could buy myself a DILE. Still, you gotta go just to check it out. There's a little stand nearby that sells broadway tickets for last minute shows for like half off.
    My idea of a good time is to go get lunch someplace (check out Stone Street), people watch, then check out the museums or Central Park, or the High Line (a park that has been built into an old abandoned elevated railway). I know you're a train guy, so you might want to check that out. Like others have said, the 9/11 memorial is harrowing, and definitely a must if you can swing it.

Good thinking!! High Line is really cool, You will enjoy that, Mike. TKTS is in Times Square and in a couple other locations. The line is usually pretty long but you can almost always get tickets to a great show. Seriously Lion King is technically amazing, despite the theme. (Sounds like I'm describing Dialed In )

#15 6 years ago

High Line is cool, and not far from Pioneers on 29 th Street between 6 th and 7 th aves. They have a Dialed In

#16 6 years ago

I vote a jazz club or comedy show. Of course, trains don't run all night

I don't care too much for the city either, but Ellis Island is amazing.

You could do Intrepid/Statue of Liberty - Ellis Island then hit Wall Street/911 area.

Grand Central is actually pretty cool, read up on it before you head in.

#17 6 years ago

Wow, thanks guys!

Since I'm working from the hotel today, I'll map everything out and see what's possible.

I'm a laid back kinda guy - I'm not a fan of huge crowds and noise, but I figure I can survive it for a day to check out the city.

I'll likely not make pinball one of the top things - mainly because having never been here before, I need to put pinball aside (gasp, the horror!) and do generic touristy stuff.

#18 6 years ago

The Museum of Natural History on the upper west side is an fantastic museum. If you have a good 3-4 hours to kill I'd recommend it.

#19 6 years ago

9/11 Memorial, nuff said. Drove out there last Fall from Mpls. Worth the trip alone

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I go every year. This year all of the "Characters" have to stay within blocked off areas. Including the rappers. Zero hassle. Long overdue.

#21 6 years ago

I love visiting New York, when the weather is good. (Except the Joy of Christmas season)

But, Im sorry, I did not like living there... 23 years....or commuting into Manhattan.

Enjoy your day Mike! I think everyone has listed like a months worth of Great things to do....all good!

#22 6 years ago

Funny the two folks who said they are not fans of the city live close by. Live jazz was a great suggestion. I go to Smalls or mezzrow.

#23 6 years ago

Bring a lots of $, everything in that city is expensive.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Vdrums:

Funny the two folks who said they are not fans of the city live close by. Live jazz was a great suggestion. I go to Smalls or mezzrow.

Yeah, I'm about an hour out. That's about 1/2 hour too close

#25 6 years ago

Have fun! Just stay away from 55th/5th.

#26 6 years ago

We go twice a year. We love it. Our favorites:

walk across the Brooklyn bridge. Stunning views from the middle. Grab a slice under the Brooklyn bridge at Grimaldi's.

9/11 museum. It is a humbling experience. When you're done check out the ellipse (west fields work trade center) across the street

Rent a bike and ride the bike paths along the Hudson River

Grab a deli sandwich and have a picnic in Central Park

Ride the Roosevelt tram

Avoid little Italy. It's not what it was.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

Avoid little Italy. It's not what it was.

True, It's about two blocks and surrounded by Chinatown now. Still has it's charms. Pellegrino's is a great restaurant down there.

#28 6 years ago

The whole place is a tourist trap now. I grew up in Manhattan on the west side and moved out at 27. That was 30 years ago.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

The whole place is a tourist trap now. I grew up in Manhattan on the west side and moved out at 27. That was 30 years ago.

ahh it ain't so bad. Yeah it kinda sucks but so does everywhere else.

And where else can you get Chinese food at 5 am? Huh? Tell me that smart guy!

#30 6 years ago

You guys should come check out Philly sometime. It's like if Boston and NYC had a baby together. Cheap, easy to get to, never overbearing, not at all touristy, and plenty of cool history and waterfronts.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

You guys should come check out Philly sometime. It's like if Boston and NYC had a baby together. Cheap, easy to get to, never overbearing, not at all touristy, and plenty of cool history and waterfronts.

I've been to Philly. Not certain what you're talking about. Maybe my tour guide friend was holding back?

Boston is by far my favorite city to date. I'm also a fan of Austin.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

I've been to Philly. Not certain what you're talking about. Maybe my tour guide friend was holding back?
    Boston is by far my favorite city to date. I'm also a fan of Austin.

I can assure you he wasn't talking about Chinatown or Center City. Ha!

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Maybe my tour guide friend was holding back?

I'm not sure what you've seen, but Old City is a nice area. Between Bartram's Garden, Fairmount Park, Independence Hall, Washington Square, Franklin Square, Penn's Landing, there's a ton to do without really running into massive crowds. The Franklin Institute is always a kid pleaser. Then there's the art museum where everyone pretends to be in that scene from Rocky. Elfreth's Alley is kinda cool, Reading Terminal Market and the City Hall area are always nice around the holidays. Come to think of it, most of that stuff is all touristy, but it doesn't get to the obscene levels that NYC gets to. Maybe I've just become complacent...

#34 6 years ago

I've visited the city a dozen times and still don't find the appeal...
    I haven't been to the 9/11 memorial, I'll definitely go next time. Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty are cool if you go when they're open! I've had lousy lucky most times.

I most enjoyed the Empire State Building and Sears Tower; Times Square is hellish but it's mainly THE experience you just have to do! China Town had some awesome food, as did Little Italy.
    St. Mary's was beautiful as was Central Park.
    Oh and definitely the Museum of Natural History, and the Metropolitan Museum of Art!

Even someone like me who's not a city person, there's something to do! Plenty of pinball opportunities to feed your addiction if you can't escape from it! Or if you have no decent arcades near you. Modern Pinball was cool but it's a bit out of the way!

Enjoy your time in the Big Apple!

#35 6 years ago

Take the subway somewhere and stare at people. The Staten Island Ferry has a good view and sells tallboys. Walk around anywhere below 14th Street, everywhere is pretty interesting. I'd skip the Brooklyn bridge and take a cab over the Williamsburg Bridge- it always feels like you're gonna crash (and Jackbar and then Barcade are on the other side). Comedy clubs are fun once a year. Central Park is nice- pick East or West and also hit the Met or the Natural History Museum (admission is donation based so give them a buck, stay an hour and get outta there). The High Line is pretty. Coney Island is cool and you can jump in the ocean and drink on the boardwalk. And really you'll only have time to do one or two things a day if you want to be chill about it.

#36 6 years ago

NYC has some nice museums and definitely check out the food trucks. Just don't linger on the thought of where the vendors use the bathroom or wash their hands afterwards.

#37 6 years ago

Thanks again guys. Don't stop - I'm taking notes and checking locations and such of everything.

The full plan is to head down there tomorrow morning, spend the night somewhere down there, then around lunchtime, head back (where I drive home.)

So, will have a full day +plus some.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I'm not sure what you've seen, but Old City is a nice area. Between Bartram's Garden, Fairmount Park, Independence Hall, Washington Square, Franklin Square, Penn's Landing, there's a ton to do without really running into massive crowds. The Franklin Institute is always a kid pleaser. Then there's the art museum where everyone pretends to be in that scene from Rocky. Elfreth's Alley is kinda cool, Reading Terminal Market and the City Hall area are always nice around the holidays. Come to think of it, most of that stuff is all touristy, but it doesn't get to the obscene levels that NYC gets to. Maybe I've just become complacent...

We primarily spent time on a trend street, so maybe E. Ave?

I was also there YEARS ago for an Army Navy game. Now that was something!

#39 6 years ago

Please share some pics of your day!

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Gimme a break. The place never sleeps, that was true back in the 70s and 80s. Now that I am 57 I am asleep at 5 in the morning so I don't care.

#41 6 years ago

Check out "The Ride" - it's a really cool interactive bus ride.

#42 6 years ago

Also do the chinatown/little italy food tour by ahoy tours (i beive thats their name)

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

New York is way overrated. Pretty much every aspect of it. Maybe if I was young and single, I might enjoy the club scene. I suppose if I lived in Florida or Texas, I might have a higher opinion of it. But living in socal has spoiled me.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

New York is way overrated. Pretty much every aspect of it. Maybe if I was young and single, I might enjoy the club scene. I suppose if I lived in Florida or Texas, I might have a higher opinion of it. But living in socal has spoiled me.

Funny how that works.
    I did the Club scene when younger in NY, and the scene was Electric!
    These days, a cocktail and a sunset into the Gulf of Mexico is as wild as I need!

#45 6 years ago

You picked a fantastic weekend to visit. Gorgeous weather!
    Do every outdoor NYC thing you can!
    Enjoy.

#46 6 years ago

Quick update..

Got here this morning.
    Went to site zero, then museum of natural history, central park and zoo.
    Hotel is the New Yorker, it's 5 now, quick charge at hotel and then running over to Times Square.

Lot of walking. Whoo.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Quick update..
    Got here this morning.
    Hotel is the New Yorker, it's 5 now, quick charge at hotel and then running over to Times Square.
    Lot of walking. Whoo.

Nice! Great stops all around. watch out for the nudies in times square!

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Quick update..
    Got here this morning.
    Lot of walking. Whoo.

Museum of Natural History was great! The only outstanding negatives I can think of from my NYC visit...

It was very expensive.

Everybody wants an f'n tip.

#49 6 years ago

I like NYC, it's electrifying place. When there, I always try to walk the high line park. It's a nice mix of changing city landscapes, highly recommended. Check out http://www.thehighline.org/ for more info

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Nice! Great stops all around. watch out for the nudies in times square!

Is.. This a bad thing?

Grabbing a bite now, and then heading up to Times Square. Behind schedule but it means seeing the place at night.

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-york/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.