• 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by DugFreez
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Combo_Names.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FiveSixPyro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#150 10 years ago

(pro xm initial thoughts)

It was a family pool day so I skipped away a few times to update and grab a couple games.

I haven't been too deep in the game but trust me by Friday it will be done. Finished Sentinels and Sabertooth on ball one with default settings. Loved the combos. The magnets still seem way too strong and I feel a little cheated when wolverine throws it down the outlane with no chance to recover. I guess that's the same risk as going sdtm off magneto so I accept that as long as it's less than 10-15% of the time. After a magnet/outlane drain at like 35 million on ball one I had a virtual house ball and a quick magneto multiball on ball 3. So an average 45 million point game was far more enjoyable. Even with the magnetic house balls and/or an occasional magnet tossing the ball over the flipper.

I give this update the best review I can at this point. The game has a personality now. When they do their final update I see this machine making a nice comeback. Search my posts in previous threads about XM and Stern and you can see how positive this is coming from me. It took almost year but the game is acceptable code wise and the shots are starting to make sense. Now with combos there are more strategic choices.

Hope I'm correct because I only got to play like 3 quick games. You can't ignore a first impression though

Post edited by FiveSixPyro

#160 10 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

This is by design, and is not sloppy implementation. And while I DO think having Xavier as the SSS is a little crazy, it IS a SSS and should be hard to get.
You CAN get it from the upper flipper off the soft plunge, but that's pretty much a luck game, and most of the time, you're better off just trying for the Psylock SS and hoping it bumps off the post into Xavier. So there's no skill there.
The TRUE skill to this shot, and why I like it, is in the fact that you soft plunge and let the ball drop onto the right flipper and make Xavier. But it's not always as simple as that. The soft plunge drop, more often than not, will drop onto the right sling, causing the ball to rocket around the lower playfield, which is why the HFC and BH targets and slingshots don't kill the SSS. When this happens, it's a crapshoot as to whether or not you can get it controlled in time (let alone on the correct flipper) to make the Xavier shot (which is a TOUGH shot to make on command) and get the SSS in time. The KEY to making it as CONSISTENTLY as possible is to:
-soft plunge, but don't hit the Pheonix switch
-as the ball rolls down and reaches the end of the upper flipper bat, SLAP THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE CABINET NEXT TO THE UPPER FLIPPER BAT!! This bumps the balls trajectory slightly to the left, and makes it MUCH more likely that the ball will miss the slings. This same "move" is used a lot in games like ACDC to keep the ball out of the slings during an orbit.
-ball will miss the sling, then cradle with the right flipper bat, aim and make the Xavier shot.
One thing I will give XM, this is a TRUE SSS. Yes, you can make it a luckfest, but it takes a good player to make it by design.

I agree there's no more luck than trying to trap the ball on Whirlwind without hitting a switch. If you hit the sling you're probably done. It's 100% skill and knowing that particular machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FiveSixPyro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-x-men-code-is-out?tu=FiveSixPyro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.