• 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by DugFreez
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Combo_Names.jpg
There are 262 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
#151 10 years ago
Quoted from muttonboy:

I haven't seen Nightcrawler after every villain completed, did you have 3 or 6 heroes completed? Maybe that bug is still there.
Sounds like a terrible idea to me, a chance at 5mil points while blocking 3 shots you might need to hit for a hero seems like a bad idea.
No switch problems at all for me after adjusting Magneto lane so nightcrawler stopped triggering it.

Yea. After playing another game and completing villains first no night crawlers. So it was the three hero completed issue again. At least it didn't keep awarding extra ball.

Also, the lock issue seems random. Not tied to night crawlers. Maybe vibration somewhere though. It requires a locked ball in the lock already.

#152 10 years ago

One of the mystery awards is to lock a ball.

#153 10 years ago

Can someone possibly post a video? It would be awesome to see what you guys are talking about.
Thanks.

#154 10 years ago

One thing they need to fix is the skill shot.If the ball misses the Phoenix switch and hits sling shot switches the skill shot is still active and can hit Xavier to make the SSS.
One fix I noticed is the timer start is delayed a little to select a villain.

#155 10 years ago

So what is the new skill shot?

#156 10 years ago

Xavier shot is the super skill but should be renamed super lucky shot.

#157 10 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

Xavier shot is the super skill but should be renamed super lucky shot.

Why is that? Can't you just let the ball go to the lower flippers to hit Xavier?

#158 10 years ago

I refer it to being lucky when you hit it with the upper flipper.
To me its not skill to let it drop and then hit it.The way it's programmed now the only switches on the lower playfield that turns off the SSS light are the inlanes,outlanes,and scoop.
If the ball hits the HF,BH,or slings it is still active to hit.

#159 10 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

I refer it to being lucky when you hit it with the upper flipper.
To me its not skill to let it drop and then hit it.The way it's programmed now the only switches on the lower playfield that turns off the SSS light are the inlanes,outlanes,and scoop.
If the ball hits the HF,BH,or slings it is still active to hit.

This is by design, and is not sloppy implementation. And while I DO think having Xavier as the SSS is a little crazy, it IS a SSS and should be hard to get.

You CAN get it from the upper flipper off the soft plunge, but that's pretty much a luck game, and most of the time, you're better off just trying for the Psylock SS and hoping it bumps off the post into Xavier. So there's no skill there.

The TRUE skill to this shot, and why I like it, is in the fact that you soft plunge and let the ball drop onto the right flipper and make Xavier. But it's not always as simple as that. The soft plunge drop, more often than not, will drop onto the right sling, causing the ball to rocket around the lower playfield, which is why the HFC and BH targets and slingshots don't kill the SSS. When this happens, it's a crapshoot as to whether or not you can get it controlled in time (let alone on the correct flipper) to make the Xavier shot (which is a TOUGH shot to make on command) and get the SSS in time. The KEY to making it as CONSISTENTLY as possible is to:
-soft plunge, but don't hit the Pheonix switch
-as the ball rolls down and reaches the end of the upper flipper bat, SLAP THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE CABINET NEXT TO THE UPPER FLIPPER BAT!! This bumps the balls trajectory slightly to the left, and makes it MUCH more likely that the ball will miss the slings. This same "move" is used a lot in games like ACDC to keep the ball out of the slings during an orbit.
-ball will miss the sling, then cradle with the right flipper bat, aim and make the Xavier shot.

One thing I will give XM, this is a TRUE SSS. Yes, you can make it a luckfest, but it takes a good player to make it by design.

#160 10 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

This is by design, and is not sloppy implementation. And while I DO think having Xavier as the SSS is a little crazy, it IS a SSS and should be hard to get.
You CAN get it from the upper flipper off the soft plunge, but that's pretty much a luck game, and most of the time, you're better off just trying for the Psylock SS and hoping it bumps off the post into Xavier. So there's no skill there.
The TRUE skill to this shot, and why I like it, is in the fact that you soft plunge and let the ball drop onto the right flipper and make Xavier. But it's not always as simple as that. The soft plunge drop, more often than not, will drop onto the right sling, causing the ball to rocket around the lower playfield, which is why the HFC and BH targets and slingshots don't kill the SSS. When this happens, it's a crapshoot as to whether or not you can get it controlled in time (let alone on the correct flipper) to make the Xavier shot (which is a TOUGH shot to make on command) and get the SSS in time. The KEY to making it as CONSISTENTLY as possible is to:
-as the ball rolls down and reaches the end of the upper flipper bat, SLAP THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE CABINET NEXT TO THE UPPER FLIPPER BAT!! This bumps the balls trajectory slightly to the left, and makes it MUCH more likely that the ball will miss the slings. This same "move" is used a lot in games like ACDC to keep the ball out of the slings during an orbit.
-ball will miss the sling, then cradle with the right flipper bat, aim and make the Xavier shot.
One thing I will give XM, this is a TRUE SSS. Yes, you can make it a luckfest, but it takes a good player to make it by design.

I agree there's no more luck than trying to trap the ball on Whirlwind without hitting a switch. If you hit the sling you're probably done. It's 100% skill and knowing that particular machine.

#161 10 years ago

Added a powered sub,installed new code,& played the crap out of it last night till 2AM. Best time I've ever had with it & now is in the top 3 in my line up. I didn't even turn on AC/DC which is a first! METLE will be here Thursday so I guess I better play it as much as possible. It won't get much play for a while after the new baby gets here. Or will it?

#162 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Also, the lock issue seems random. Not tied to night crawlers. Maybe vibration somewhere though. It requires a locked ball in the lock already.

I would say you are getting the awarded lock from the mystery scoop. The only way you are going to get a lock from the Magneto rollover switch getting jiggled if if a ball is in there to jiggle it....and it registers 6 captive ball hits to actually award a lock (not likely to go unnoticed).

#163 10 years ago

I like the new mystery awards. I like the ball save animation. I love the shoot again animation, but dislike the call out that doesn't match it all all.Not so much on the super skill shot placement and still getting used to the combos (insert clutter, sometimes unique combos call out sometimes they don't, why do unique combos only count at the beginning of a combo, why not call them unique combo starters? why isn't Wolvie a Xavier combo, no way to see how many or how big of combo you have (unless you are pretty much only watching the DMD) ect....

I also don't think I like the Iceman ramp moving for no apparent reason...and I have to say even after we do find out when and why it moves I still won't like it. Why make a game so confusing? Why ever the ramp is moving, they have done a terrible job of letting you know why it moves and what you are suppose to do when it moves. It seems instead of improving what is there (integrating hero and villain modes) they are just throwing random stuff in the game.

As far as the Iceman ramp goes...how could they have tested this code as long as they did and still not realized that the Iceman combos need to shift when the Iceman ramp moves over?

#164 10 years ago

Have to agree with many posts here. Haven't played my Xmen for months. Installed new code this morning and As someone else posted, this is how it should have shipped day one or at least first update. Enjoyability factor way up on this game now. I encourage all who played it on previous code to play new version and adjust your rankings accordingly.

It show's Waison with right mentoring has the skills and some good ideas here. I'm mostly happy for Borg because he designed a cool layout game only to be abandoned by poor coding/rules. Nice job Stern. A year later I hope you realize is too long - but we appreciate the commitment.

#165 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I like the new mystery awards. I like the ball save animation. I love the shoot again animation, but dislike the call out that doesn't match it all all.Not so much on the super skill shot placement and still getting used to the combos (insert clutter, sometimes unique combos call out sometimes they don't, why do unique combos only count at the beginning of a combo, why not call them unique combo starters? why isn't Wolvie a Xavier combo, no way to see how many or how big of combo you have (unless you are pretty much only watching the DMD) ect....
I also don't think I like the Iceman ramp moving for no apparent reason...and I have to say even after we do find out when and why it moves I still won't like it. Why make a game so confusing? Why ever the ramp is moving, they have done a terrible job of letting you know why it moves and what you are suppose to do when it moves. It seems instead of improving what is there (integrating hero and villain modes) they are just throwing random stuff in the game.
As far as the Iceman ramp goes...how could they have tested this code as long as they did and still not realized that the Iceman combos need to shift when the Iceman ramp moves over?

Maybe the next update will finally have the Iceman ramp hurry-up where you can shoot the ramp over and over?

#166 10 years ago

Listen to Request 74 in the new firmware. I'm pretty sure that is Deadpool's voice.

#167 10 years ago

I think the iceramp hurry up will start if you do a 4 way combo.I know it will move over to the left and stay until you miss it.A Cyclops-Storm-Cyclops-Storm combo will move it left.

#168 10 years ago

Starting on my testing and mapping now. First step is to map the unique combos and scores. I will make a new topic once I'm done with it and will update it as I continue testing, like my last rules topic.

#169 10 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

After playing a few games and actually trying to make the super skill shot I think it is a good SSS.
Usually after I miss a Storm skill shot it would land on my right flipper to make and thought it was just a lucky shot.
Now I actually try the SSS and it will hit the top of the right sling to the HF target to the left flipper then I pass it to the right to make.

#170 10 years ago

Have everything mapped except for lovers triangle and original xmen, although I could have sworn I got something like "xmen leaders" without the blue and gold, but I didn't catch it in time. These last two are really hard to figure out, more to come....

Also, the combo score is also dependent upon which heroes in the combo you have collected and/or completed. So me mapping out the scores is pretty much useless without busting out an abacus.

But I like it, gives you more incentive to start and complete hero modes, as the combo scores add up big.

Also solved the ice ramp -combo relationship mystery, more to come

#171 10 years ago

Nm, got lovers triangle. It's a crazy combo, but it gives over a mill in points, WITHOUT started/completion score buffs! Woof!

#172 10 years ago

I like the SSS a lot. Believe it or not I've been trying to hit it (off the post) with the upper flipper and can usually do it maybe 2 out of 10 tries and if I miss usually hit Rogue so it's all good. I really like the addition of the SSS.

Big success for Waison and team I am also very glad they did not let a killer design by Borg go to waste. I am really loving playing this pin and am very thankful that Stern dedicated his employees the time to provide a great update and that they were talented enough to make it shine.

#173 10 years ago

Got my copy friday. Cant get much better than this

#174 10 years ago

Just had my best game since updating. Got to Danger Room (didn't finish) and finished 4 villain modes.

#175 10 years ago

Holy cow. Cannot figure out the original xmen combo for the life of me. I'll keep tinkering, but this is taking longer than anticipated :/.

#176 10 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

One thing they need to fix is the skill shot.If the ball misses the Phoenix switch and hits sling shot switches the skill shot is still active and can hit Xavier to make the SSS.

That's the way it should be. You should be able to let it drop down then make the shot IMO.

#177 10 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

After playing a few games and actually trying to make the super skill shot I think it is a good SSS.
Usually after I miss a Storm skill shot it would land on my right flipper to make and thought it was just a lucky shot.
Now I actually try the SSS and it will hit the top of the right sling to the HF target to the left flipper then I pass it to the right to make.

Once you get that deep into a ball....I don't consider it a skill shot any more.

#178 10 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Listen to Request 74 in the new firmware. I'm pretty sure that is Deadpool's voice.

I had thought that about request 73 and 74. Don't get too excited...those quotes have been in there since version 1.20 (August 8, 2012).

#179 10 years ago

I'm more excited that the left DP option in the menu. If they didn't intend to put him in I don't think they would of left it in there. At least I hope not.

#180 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I'm more excited that the left DP option in the menu. If they didn't intend to put him in I don't think they would of left it in there. At least I hope not.

I wonder if anybody in the "Know" can confirm if he ever will make it into the software. There are a lot of clues he might someday make it, but so far it just has been assumptions. I realize he is in the adjustments menu, but nobody has heard call outs or seen buried animation in the code.

#181 10 years ago

Yes please everyone update your rating for this game, it deserves better then #54 on the top 100! It is my favourite pin right now.

#182 10 years ago

Oh dear....I took a break from trying to figure outthe "original Xmen" unique combo, and started looking at the wizard modes and such. Dark Pheonix mode is crazy. DR is still more profitable, points wise than DP seems to be, but I've pretty much got DP mapped.

Oh, and I figured out what's up with the Magneto SJP wizard multiball, which I don't THINK will be Deadpool, as this mode has no timer that I could find. But i will post my initial findings in a separate thread here in a sec. Mags MB just got veeeery interesting as a huge payoff later in the game, that's all I can say. Details to follow....

#183 10 years ago

I've got multiple balls being released from Magneto as well now. Didn't happen before i adjusted the lane switch to not actuate from Nightcrawler popping up. I've tried both ends of the spectrum on the Magneto lock timer adjust, doesn't seem to do anything or at least not enough.

Just need to decide if i really want to go through adjusting that damn switch some more... must be a middle ground...

They shouldn't even have to use that damn switch, isn't gravity pulling the ball down at release a known variable? wtf does the switch have to do with it?

#184 10 years ago
Quoted from muttonboy:

I've got multiple balls being released from Magneto as well now. Didn't happen before i adjusted the lane switch to not actuate from Nightcrawler popping up. I've tried both ends of the spectrum on the Magneto lock timer adjust, doesn't seem to do anything or at least not enough.
Just need to decide if i really want to go through adjusting that damn switch some more... must be a middle ground...
They shouldn't even have to use that damn switch, isn't gravity pulling the ball down at release a known variable? wtf does the switch have to do with it?

It seems only the people with the LE have this problem. Maybe due to nightcrawler?

#185 10 years ago
Quoted from muttonboy:

Well there is no opto for the ball in the front position of the lock so it is using that switch to know a ball is in there. They could have went with another opto up front, but depending on its position it may have still had issues with Nightcrawler popping up and registering as captive ball hits. Adjusting an opto to be more or less sensitive would have been a no-go without some serious ball guide drilling and a complete remount..

#186 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Well there is no opto for the ball in the front position of the lock so it is using that switch to know a ball is in there. They could have went with another opto up front, but depending on its position it may have still had issues with Nightcrawler popping up and registering as captive ball hits. Adjusting an opto to be more or less sensitive would have been a no-go without some serious ball guide drilling and a complete remount..

Not sure what that has to do with using it to time the release?

#187 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

It seems only the people with the LE have this problem. Maybe due to nightcrawler?

I've put a good 40-50 games on my Wolv. LE since the update and not once have had Magneto drop 2 balls. I don't know the code has to do with it so much as maybe pitch of the game or something else.

#188 10 years ago
Quoted from muttonboy:

Not sure what that has to do with using it to time the release?

I was responding to you suggesting that the rollover switch wasn't needed at all. Here:

Quoted from muttonboy:

I don't believe the rollover switch has anything to do with the lock pin timing. I think it is just there to let the game know when a ball is resting in there and also register captive ball hits.

As for that lock timer setting. It has been in the settings since the game was released. It was decided that it was useless back when the lock dropping 2 balls was a known bug. I'm guessing that setting still does nothing and is just as useless as it ever was.

I haven't had any ball lock release problems since code 1.21.

#189 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I was responding to you suggesting that the rollover switch wasn't needed at all. Here:

I don't believe the rollover switch has anything to do with the lock pin timing. I think it is just there to let the game know when a ball is resting in there and also register captive ball hits.
As for that lock timer setting. It has been in the settings since the game was released. It was decided that it was useless back when the lock dropping 2 balls was a known bug. I'm guessing that setting still does nothing and is just as useless as it ever was.
I haven't had any ball lock release problems since code 1.21.

I never said the switch wasn't needed AT ALL. I was commenting on the fact that I found that the switch IS used for lock timing and it shouldn't be... I also had no issues until i made the switch more sensitive... now it drops two balls every time. I can make it stop by adjusting the switch again...

It was discussed earlier in the thread that the setting was in effect again and being used, I was commenting that I found it doesn't help...

#191 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Yes please everyone update your rating for this game, it deserves better then #54 on the top 100! It is my favourite pin right now.

The smart people didn't rate the game until they knew it was finished

Thanks for the updates guys, I'm about a week away from being able to play the update on my game. Sounds like a solid update.

#192 10 years ago

So where do you guys feel the code is at now? Pinside has a 6 star rating, where do you feel it's at? And is it still sloppy or does it feel more polished now?

#193 10 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

The smart people didn't rate the game until they knew it was finished
Thanks for the updates guys, I'm about a week away from being able to play the update on my game. Sounds like a solid update.

+1

#194 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

So where do you guys feel the code is at now? Pinside has a 6 star rating, where do you feel it's at? And is it still sloppy or does it feel more polished now?

Finished and fun. But not fully polished.

#195 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Someone with your playing prowess I think would really dig the combo system. If I were better at playing, I would be having even more fun with trying to make unique combo shots and working towards getting the infinite iceman ramp combo bonus. Definitely a game that benefits seasoned players.

To me, it's at a 5 star right now. If Deadpool mode is hits its mark right, and DP gets the rules fleshed out a bit deeper, than this is a certifiable killer pin at 6 stars

#196 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I like it a lot. Very deep and the combo system has a way of breaking up the linear feel of it in a very good way. Fun to play that definitely feels more polished now to me. If they add a DP mode it would take it over the top. You should seek one out give it some play you may just feel like giving it a second chance.

#197 10 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Finished and fun. But not fully polished.

I sure hope it isn't finished. I don't consider a DMD screen that just says "WIZARD MULTIBALL" very finished at all.

#198 10 years ago

I'm all for Nightcrawler not popping up too much, but if you beat 3 hero modes and don't beat Nightcrawler mode....you should get another chance at him (and to light Extra Ball again) after the next completed hero.

#199 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I like it a lot. Very deep and the combo system has a way of breaking up the linear feel of it in a very good way. Fun to play that definitely feels more polished now to me. If they add a DP mode it would take it over the top. You should seek one out give it some play you may just feel like giving it a second chance.

I actually think I'm gonna press my luck with the pro. When I owned the LE; the iceman ramp and NCs never did anything for me and annoyed me more than anything. I really like the layout over tron, and the combo system looks sweet. Would be awesome if they could add some sort of combo wizard mode or combo mb.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

SKB

#200 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I'm all for Nightcrawler not popping up too much, but if you beat 3 hero modes and don't beat Nightcrawler mode....you should get another chance at him (and to light Extra Ball again) after the next completed hero.

While I'm always posting my hate for Nightcrawler getting in the way too much, I do like them quite a bit. This is the only game I've played with things that pop up like that where it doesn't almost automatically mean a drain if you hit them. They're in really good spots.

I would be VERY happy with them popping up a lot and getting in the way if hitting them also counted as a shot on whatever mode you are in. Doesn't really fit well with the combo system at this point, but I don't see myself caring much about combos in this game in the long run anyways. While they are fun, I'm much more interested in progressing through the game. Combos are a side effect.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

There are 262 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-x-men-code-is-out/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.