Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 242 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by desertT1
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wppr.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylorva.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 9 years ago

How does "meaningful games played" work in a league? What are we suppose to enter when submitting results?

#112 9 years ago

The lack of value for league play is too bad. In a league of 20 players our 9th place finisher received less points than a participant in a high score tournament that uses a single game for qualifying. You can earn more points plunging a single ball than being part of a league that meets for months and plays over 40+ games to establish final standings.

#121 9 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

It's entertaining to see that over the past 9 years where player count didn't mean anything towards base value that organizers still found a way to try and get everyone they possibly could to participate.
    Wppr's are clearly a valuable thing to many, but the idea that now giving base value points to rated players leading to organizers suddenly not trying to get new players involved in our game seems a little over the top.
    I'm hopeful that whatever changes happen to Wppr's in the years to come, or if they possibly ever go away for good that the motivation of getting new players to participate in our sport will all be a self fulfilling thing for organizers.

sent you an email

#128 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I really like the 5.0 move to give a base for each player. It makes sense that the more people you beat, the more skilled you are.
    I did not like the previous style of limiting the events at 1 location as the new format is more conducive to promoting pinball play.
    5.1 is a step back (not the end of the world) as new players are not treated fairly in their respective value. This to me does not fit a logical assumption, esp with a base of zero and for 5 events. In WI, it will take a new players likely 6-8months before they add to the value, yet they can win at any point.
    I understand there are limitations to the current system and algorithm, but please don't let that constraint make the decision.
    I want to continue to see competitive pinball grow, both through the direct efforts of organizing events and through the latent effects of friends bringing someone else along. Please don't put up barriers to WPPR points or make it more convoluted than it needs to be. As you know and say, points are an incentive to many, so lets use that incentive to promote even more. There must be some level of compromise to fine tune it.
    Like Steve Ritchie says if 2 respected people tell you it sucks then it probably sucks. I know that is in regards to pinball design, but I think it is applicable here also. We have seen quite a few of the more active organizers say that they feel it needs some fine tuning. To me that speaks volumes
    cheers

How does preventing an exploit stop the growth of pinball? Allowing inflated events is more of a detriment IMO and renders the current system as useless unless others decide to utilize the same exploits. My league just went from having some value to being absolutely worthless under the current system in regards to qualifying for the SCS.

#132 9 years ago
    Quoted from Zaxxis:

This is the key thing about the .1 changes and any mid year changes that have ever been done. We're not doing this screw with people
    Also consider this: We are trying to maintain a system that allows competitive pinball to enjoy the use of many tournament formats that have many, many permutations. This, along with some other reasons, makes the system somewhat complex (unfortunately) and also opens the doors up for exploits. The day will most likely come where the IFPA will stop endorsing some tournaments (my personal opinion) due to their format because it's impossible to create something that covers everything fairly.

Sorry

I sent Josh an email with specific concerns so waiting to hear back. We may just ditch "league" and have monthly tournaments.

#134 9 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Taylor - won't have a chance to really analyze the email until later this week.
    At a quick glance your issues are simply not a ton of players, and how that impacts the value for 1st place and the rate at which point drop from 1st to last.
    I believe you league was 20 players which means your base value is 10 points at max, no matter how many games you end up playing.

My issue is comparing the value of our league to a high score tournament in which less than 20 people qualify for. The players that don't qualify receive more points than a player in a 9th place finishing position in our league. Seems very unbalanced.

#135 9 years ago

thanks for pointing out the base limitations. Looks like we'll need to plan some more events. Thanks.

#140 9 years ago
    Quoted from fna_royam:

TaylorVA, yes plan more Richmond events. I'll try and bring a van full of Northern VA players but I won't allow people in the van unless they've played 5 IFPA events.

You guys have a ton of WPPRs floating around the DC area. We need to try to keep up, the DMV league's high score tournament is what has really made me take note of how undervalued league play is compared to holding a tournament in which single game qualifiers earn points for not doing anything.

I do realize WPPRs are secondary to playing, but as director of our league I want to give my players the chance to compete in events like the SCS.

#155 9 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

It is said many times by many people that WPPRs are secondary.
    Secondary to socializing, playing, having fun etc.
    But man do changes in the WPPR system send shockwaves through tournament formats!
    How many side tournaments (yes I realize that they are not classified side anymore) do you think that we will see this year compared to the last few years?
    When I would run WPPR 4.0 tournaments, people would contact me for assurance that the event would be an annual rather than a periodic and that they would get full points.
    Other people were stunned that I do not plan to change the Maryland Pinball Championship format this year so that the WPPRs would be maximized.
    People are so serious about WPPRs and maximizing the WPPR potential at events.
    As though having a high WPPR ranking legitimizes a player.
    Some WPPRs are just much easier to get than others.
    PAPA WPPRs? Pretty tough. Certainly tougher than local tourney WPPRs.
    Super league WPPRs? Look pretty easy to get. As do the DMV tournament ones ( I did not actually go to the tournament, so I'm guessing a little).
    Yes, DC has a lot more opportunities for WPPRs than Richmond, but it is nothing like Portland, Seattle, or NYC.
    I can't say that I care for the trend of tournaments putting such a priority on maximizing WPPRs.

Players in my league are interested in playing for the SCS which is why I want to make sure that they have equal opportunities to WPPRs that other leagues are affording their members. I'm personally not as interested in competing as much as I am socializing at this point.

I think the DMV league has complexities as far as SCS qualifying goes as you have players that are given points for states that they may never play in. A player from the DMV league could easily be the top qualifier in the state of VA without every playing a game in it.

The WPPRs earned in the DMV league for coming in last place and never qualifying in a high score tournament are the equivalent of placing fifth in our league and that is if the DMV only held one season a year. With two seasons in a year the WPPRs earned from finishing last place and not qualifying in either high score tournaments would be greater than a 3rd place finish in our league and all of this could be done without ever setting foot in the state of VA.

All I want to do is make sure that my members have a chance to win WPPRs on a scale of other leagues and league play that is being taken into account when formulating SCS points.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylorva.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-wppr-system-is-out?tu=taylorva and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.