Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 242 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by desertT1
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wppr.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snailman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#74 9 years ago

Josh, what about byes for any style tourney finals? Will rounds that take place that include players having byes not count anymore? The way I read it, those with byes have taken a "shorter path." And in the previous Circuit style final, each player above the lowest four had 1 or more byes, with the #1 player having what... 15 byes?

#82 9 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

For most tournaments byes are earned based on an equivalent qualifying process that all players have participated in.
    It's really circuit/series style of events where there may be multiple paths to finals that we will be examining this issue closer.
    The meat of this rule is meant for the qualifying portion of tournaments, not for finals.

Thanks for clarifying -- so then it gets down to what's "qualifying" and what is "finals."

Using most recent Circuit Finals as example, the qualifying was really every Circuit event that led to the Circuit Finals. There really isn't a qualifying portion of the Circuit Finals that is part of the event itself. Thus, wouldn't the gauntlet/survivor portion of the Circuit Finals be truly "finals" and not "qualifying?"

If true, then in that format, each ladder match -- because someone is eliminated -- is part of the finals, right?

#87 9 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

These players will still earn points, and still be ranked.

I think this is the key draw for new players that are attracted by the ranking system and WPPR's. And this doesn't change under 5.1.

#89 9 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Let's just call this a case-by-case basis sort of thing.
    If there's an upcoming tournament you want to submit for endorsement, we'll hash it all out appropriately
    You could argue Circuit either way most likely. While all the players are 'finalists', there is a 'state change' of the tournament where the format shifts into this completely other thing. It's grey area enough that I would probably pass this format along to our Country Directors forum and have a nice thread discussion about the fairest way for us to handle it.

Thanks. I'll discuss more with Winball_Pizard, as his gauntlet style tourney (patterned after the Circuit Final format) was very well received by local and regional players, and very well attended. Granted, it could have been the bad-ass trophy that was the attraction, and not the format. hehehehe

#103 9 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

I wouldn't think that's the case, but I may be wrong. In my area there are several upper-tier players that don't generally participate in leagues (from what I've seen, I have only been actively part of that scene for six months or so), at least in part because it's not worth the time or effort compared to a higher-valued tournament on a single day or weekend. I definitely get that. Whatever the IFPA can do to incentivize these players to participate in area leagues (of any size) would be great.
    This is tough- how do you incentivize new people as well as the "vets"? WPPR and maybe ephemeral pinball street cred is probably the only thing that's going to convince an upper-tier player to participate in a multi-week or multi-month league. The more advanced players are also going to be harsher on format and ask more of the organizers. Out of the IFPA top 100, how many participate in a weekly league?

I participate less in leagues because my schedule rarely allows me to commit the same time each week to pinball. Has nothing to do with WPPRs. As evidenced by my relatively frequent participation in the pin-golf ---- I'm certainly not banking a bunch of WPPRs there. I'm playing for fun (which is thankfully what I can say about each event I play in)

#204 9 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

I was just looking at this. Not sure if I am following or are the numbers reversed.
    From site:
    3 STRIKES:
    2 players: 5 rounds
    3-4 players: 8 rounds
    5-8 players: 11 rounds
    9-16 players: 14 rounds
    17-32 players: 17 rounds
    33-64 players: 20 rounds
    65-128 players: 23 rounds
    129-256 players: 26 rounds
    Shouldn't the 2 players need to play 26 rounds and the 129+ players only have to play 5 rounds to max TGP.

The 5 rounds for 2 players is the maximum # of meaningful games they'll play, or 20% TGP. The table isn't the # of rounds to get max TGP

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snailman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-wppr-system-is-out?tu=snailman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.