Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 242 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by desertT1
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wppr.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Time for compliments and complaints!

(I think example #1 under TGP calculations has a typo. 42% should be 48%).

1 month later
    #59 9 years ago

I've been doing this format lately:
    Split into 2 or 3 groups. Play each other player in your group in a single game. Your record against your group determines your placement in that group. Then, form into new groups, matching you up with the players who placed similarly in other groups. Those new groups play best of 3 (or 5) to determine final ranking.

For example, with 15 players, split into 3 groups of 5. Play the other four in your group. Take the best record from each group, form a new group...competing in a best of three to determine 1st, 2nd, and 3rd overall. The bottom player in each group would form a group of 3, battling it out for 13th, 14th, and 15th. Etc.

It sounds like this change the number of meaningful games for my tournaments? I would previously argue it was a 7 game path (in fact, every single player played exactly 7 games). But with this new wording I could see the opinion that since earlier "rounds" are best of 1, that the best of 3 wouldn't count as 3, it would count as 1.

Ruling?

#69 9 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

The fact that ALL your players have played the same amount of games is all the evidence we would need to count all 7.
    A more exploitable way would be to select 2 players out of your bunch, and have them play some random separate best of 11 match to add to the game count.
    Those are the kind of things we're trying to stop, because it's something we're seeing far more often in the first 3 months then we were expecting.

Cool, thanks. I've probably had the top group (when it was only 2 players) play best of 5, while the others play best of 3, but yeah, 11 is egregious.

I'm understanding how hard it must be to cover every possible scenario.

#96 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Well, then that answered if I run a league this year if it will be IFPA or not. I'm not going to claw and fight and drag these people that barely want to participate in the first place into the system when they're not worth anything until they've already been playing competitively for a year or longer in some cases.

Just to clarify: this is a complaint that you won't be able to use "people that barely want to participate" to inflate the value of your events?

If you're running a league simply for the points, you're doing it wrong.

#102 9 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

I wouldn't think that's the case, but I may be wrong. In my area there are several upper-tier players that don't generally participate in leagues (from what I've seen, I have only been actively part of that scene for six months or so), at least in part because it's not worth the time or effort compared to a higher-valued tournament on a single day or weekend. I definitely get that. Whatever the IFPA can do to incentivize these players to participate in area leagues (of any size) would be great.
    This is tough- how do you incentivize new people as well as the "vets"? WPPR and maybe ephemeral pinball street cred is probably the only thing that's going to convince an upper-tier player to participate in a multi-week or multi-month league. The more advanced players are also going to be harsher on format and ask more of the organizers. Out of the IFPA top 100, how many participate in a weekly league?

Yeah, that is tough. I think it's more important to make leagues friendly to *new(ish)* players than it is for "vets". Newbies don't care about points - they just want to have fun. Adding extra incentive for the sharks isn't going to grow pinball, IMO.

#127 9 years ago
    Quoted from movingpictures:

FYI: Trying to submit results and getting this error:
    Error establishing a database connection

Same thing happens on the individual player pages.

They're having issues of some sort.

#142 9 years ago
    Quoted from epotech:

Ludicrous situation where players had lost after 3 games but still had to carry on playing.

That doesn't need to be happening.

"Meaningful games" is the *longest* path through the tournament. Barring shenanigans that try to game the system (like changing the finals to best of 11 even though all the other players are eliminated) - everyone doesn't need to play the same number of games. If it's best of 5, and you lose the first 3 - you don't need to play out the remaining 2 games...that gives your event credit for "5 meaningful games" even if all matches in an entire best of 5 round were won 3-0.

#181 9 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

particularly if there are 25 meaningful games played each league night?

How on earth can you achieve that? All of the leagues in this area play 5 meaningful games, and that takes several hours.

#186 9 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

If "meaningful game" is per person, then yes, it would take 5 league weeks to make 25 (5 games, 4 players per game/match each week)

Yes that's correct. After 5 weeks, you'd have 25 meaningful games played. So to maximize WPPR points, you'd run a 5 week league. That would be worth the same amount as a tournament that say, had you playing 5 best of 5 matches all on the same day. But it would probably take all day to get through that.

#187 9 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

If the 32 player double elimination is a single game, then I believe it is 14 significant games.
    5 rounds of undefeated players playing heads up -- 5 Significant games
    7 rounds of 1-loss players playing heads up - 7 Significant games
    2 possible final games to crown a champion - 2 Significant game
    Round 1 - 32 players - 16 matches - 1 significant game (1 significant game total)
    Round 2W - 16 players - 8 matches - 1 significant game (2 significant games total)
    Round 2L - 16 players - 8 matches - 1 significant game (3 significant games total)
    Round 3W - 8 players - 4 matches - 1 significant game (4 significant games total)
    Round 3L - 16 players - 8 matches 1 significant game (5 significant games total)
    Round 4W - 4 players - 2 matches - 1 significant game (6 significant games total)
    Round 4L - 12 players - 6 matches - 1 significant game (7 significant games total)
    Round 5L - 8 players - 4 matches - 1 significant game (8 significant games total)
    Round 6L - 4 players - 2 matches - 1 significant game (9 significant games total)
    Round 7W - 2 players - 1 significant game (10 significant games total)
    Round 7L - 2 players - 1 match - 1 significant game (11 significant games total)
    Round 8L - 2 players - 1 match - 1 significant game (12 significant games total)
    Round 9W - 2 players - 1 match - 1 significant game (13 significant games total)
    TIE BREAKER (if needed) - 2 players - 1 significant game (14 significant games total)
    If every round takes 30 minutes, you are looking at 5 hours of play (with zero breaks)
    Marcus

Wait, is 14 games correct? I don't see why you would get to count games in the winners and losers bracket separately. The shortest path through for the winner is just 5 games I believe (when 32, 16, 8, 4, and 2 players). The longest path for someone who lost the first round is several games longer...10 according to what you've mapped out above.

tl;dr No one person can play 14 games in this format, but maybe I'm not understanding meaningful games correctly.

#193 9 years ago
    Quoted from dbellAZ:

If 32 people played 7 games each, that's 224 games played. If they did one-game double elimination matches, they'd play at most 63 games games, so less then a third as many

That's a great point. I've been running my recent events with no elimination...so everyone plays the same amount of games - but the elimination tournaments I've been in seem to get a much higher TGP.

#209 9 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

3 STRIKES:
    2 players: 5 rounds
    3-4 players: 8 rounds
    5-8 players: 11 rounds
    9-16 players: 14 rounds
    17-32 players: 17 rounds
    33-64 players: 20 rounds
    65-128 players: 23 rounds
    129-256 players: 26 rounds

Josh, is this definitely correct? On Sunday, I was in a 3 strikes tourney run by Brackelope. The number of players was in the 20s. I made it to the final two, (we both entered with 1 strike) and then we both got to 2 strikes - but when it was over, I only played 12 games total. (I did have a bye one round).

Wouldn't we have had to hit the max number of games in that situation? A 3 strike tournament of 20 players can end in as few as 9 games*, and the tournament I just played ended in 12, so giving credit for 17 is not always correct. Can you show the "math" for longest path through a three strike tournament - one that would last 17 rounds? And, even if such a path does exist, why not just count the number of actual rounds played, instead of the hypothetical?

* If my math is correct...all players can alternate winning and losing for the first four rounds. Now everyone is still alive, but has 2 losses. Round 5 knocks out half the field - down to 10 players. Round 6 takes us to 5 players. Round 7, someone gets a bye, and we're down to 3. Round 8 someone gets a bye and we're down to 2. Round 9 crowns the winner.

#211 9 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Personally I have no freaking idea
    I know that we got some help from Bowen and from Isaac at Brackelope with respect to the longest path. The biggest problem with the strikes format is that the longest path is literally such a long shot of actually happening that it does end up giving out a bunch of free unplayed rounds.
    Here were some of Isaac's notes, but I'm not sure what they mean:
    r = remaining players
    r = p
    roundCount = strikes + 1
    while( r > 1) {
    r = ceil( r / 2 )
    roundCount++}
    Perhaps Isaac or Bowen can chime in with how the math works.
    The problem with counting the number of actual rounds played is that you get into a situation where it's in a player's best interest to intentionally lose a match or two at the end, strictly for increasing the TGP value by adding in those additional actual rounds played.
    The proposals that we're looking into are either:
    A) Determining an average number of rounds for each strike, for each player count and going with that - this would be through having the Brackelope guys run 1,000,000+ simulations at various player counts and just picking that number
    B) Using the actual number of rounds played + however many strikes the winner has leftover. This helps to solve the problem of someone looking to lose intentionally to increase the number of rounds.
    There's a similar issue with bracket tournaments when a 9th player adds a 4th round of play, versus only 3 rounds of play for 8 players. The chances of that 4th round of play being 'meaningful' is only 2 out of 9 (I think) assuming the eventual winner of the tournament was the 8th or 9th seed that had to play that extra round. I'm interested in cleaning this up a bit too to help spread the value between say a 9 player bracket and a 16 player bracket where there's a 100% chance the winner plays 4 rounds in a 16 player field, but only a 22% chance the winner plays 4 rounds in a 9 player field.
    This is all 2016 stuff that we'll spend the rest of the year analyzing.

Thanks for the reply. The scenario where intentionally losing could be helpful is definitely a consideration, though if it were me, the point difference between 1st place and 2nd place is so large that I wouldn't risk taking second place just to increase the value of the tournament by 4% (and risk taking 2nd place money). Kudos to the player who has the guts to do that.

Giving credit for the longest path specifically in a strikeout tournament (if, as you say, the longest path is truly a longshot) is much worse in my opinion. I'm *heavily* encouraged to run strikeout tournaments. The tournament I was in last Sunday...I played 12 games, and it could have been only 11 games if one person had swept when it got down to 2. We got credit for 5 extra games...that's a difference of the winners path through a double elimination bracket for a similarly sized tournament.

I've run four tournaments this year, all with between 6 and 15 players...and all have run about the same length of time. My TGP: 60%, 20%, 32%, 28%. Guess which one was a strikeout? The other 3 were formats with no elimination - everyone played the same amount of games.

It's definitely hard to make everything equal, but as it is currently, I can't help but be tempted to run strikeouts exclusively.

#216 9 years ago
    Quoted from monty-:

for the record it was a 42 player tournament, 3 Strikes, Best 2/3. we played 14 rounds vs 20 as dictated by the TGP guidelines.

Awesome. How long did that take?

#217 9 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

The other thing we will be considering is the value of a 3-player or 4-player game played (Match play style) as it compares to head to head games, or single games played. There's a similar issue with time depending on the number of machines available where we don't want to see PAPA style finals go away because those 4 player games take longer than a head-to-head match, but are valued the same as the single piece of game data that it is.

I've wondered about this myself.

I've wanted to do four player groups in tournaments, but it takes twice as long so you can only play half as many games in the same period of time. I *love* the idea of using the notion of time to help normalize TGP.

So with 24 players you could have:
    - 12 heads up matches would be 24 games played (1 match is two complete games of pinball...your game, and your opponents game)
    - 8 three player matches would be 24 games played
    - 6 four player games would also be 24 games played.

So, all three of those tournaments would last the same amount of time...24 games played. Yes, each player is playing less total games in four player matches, but they're defeating multiple opponents per game. Factoring in number of opponents to normalize for time, you could do:

Heads up game: 4% TGP
    Three player game: 6% TGP
    Four player game: 8% TGP

With that change, all 3 scenarios would grade out the same: 48% TGP.

#219 9 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Have you been copying and pasting from the private IFPA Country Directors forum?
    The other piece of the puzzle is how qualifying games or games where you aren't playing anyone directly, and whether those should be less meaningful.
    That would help promote events where you are directly playing other opponents, and limit the ability for tournaments to rack up games played where everyone simply 'plays every machine once' sort of thing.
    We have almost 9 months to figure out our next steps, but I imagine something in the neighborhood of what you're talking about will be the direction we end up taking.
    Those that are not happy with us continuing to tweaks things as the years roll on . . . be prepared to continue to be miserable

You must have a bunch of smart folks over on that directors forum.

2% for solo games.

#229 9 years ago
    Quoted from monty-:

not sure if that was a sarcastic remark, but it took an entire day - ~8 hours with ample break time. there aren't many large tournament events in Canada so i have quite a few out-of-towners. nobody wants to fly in or drive 4-6 hours only to get knocked out quickly. players want a full day event. maybe that's not your thing.
    utilization/efficiency is maximized given it's on location at a barcade with 20 pins. there is not a lot of waiting around.
    it's a long day but the format certainly shows that the cream rises to the top...

I wasn't being sarcastic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-wppr-system-is-out?tu=ryanwanger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.