4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 242 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by desertT1
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

wppr.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fna_royam.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 4 years ago

One of the issues i had with the new system was that this years events would not count for much as main/classic combos and combined periodics even at 75% and 50% would be better than the new 10 is the new 25 WPPR system. i actually thought this year and next would be less important but with the seperation it makes this years event mean more which going forward is a good thing

#19 4 years ago

One question with the new system. If i wanted to run a tournament where the qualifying was unlimited but the qualifying games were not WPPR 5.0 approved for meaningful games. the finals would be 5.0 approved meaningful games. None of the qualifying games would be meaningful games but would the tournament still get 1% point per hour of unlimited qualifying if 50% of people get eliminated in qualifying?

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

I'm going to go with "You can't accumulate time on games that aren't meaningful".

We don't want people doing 20 hours of unlimited qualifying, where the non-meaningful game played is "See how long it takes to plunge your ball on Metallica".

Thanks for the response, that makes sense. I do like running tournaments with a variety of formats - one of them being a slaughter rule where if after ball 2 if one player has double the score of the other player the game ends in a slaughter rule. obviously that is not 5.0 approved but still competitive IMHO. I may still run tournaments where some of the rounds may not be 5.0 approved but i'll make sure to detail that and not have those games count for "meaningful games" for TGP.

Post edited by fna_royam: spelling

1 month later
    #79 4 years ago

FLR is coming down to DC from NYC to play my None Shall Pass tournament. I structured that tournament to be 5.0 complient in an effort to maximize WPPR's and for me to get a chance to play a wide variety of people. I've played close to 50 people so far and now i find out that my wife, my step son, my stepsons girlfriend, and a few people i had over to the house for a dinner party will not count towards base points because they haven't played 5 tournament…? Come to think of it, that kind of makes sense.

I did also just run a 4 game frenzy event where round one was 4 games on one machine and the finals were 4 games on one machine. Guess if i run that tournament again i'll make it 3 games per round.

#81 4 years ago

I'm assuming small changes like all rounds being best of 3 but for the semi's and finals it being best of 5 are ok.

#94 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

just curious, what is his motivation behind this?
    seems like an odd thing to put so much effort in

I'm just guessing but i think its the quest to get to a higher number. Motivation to crack the top 100 which Francesco did for a brief shining moment before 5.1 pulled the rug from him and now he's slumming it down at 128.

#106 4 years ago

Any player with a rating of 1285.71 or less will have no impact on the strength of the tournament.

From the ifpa website

#136 4 years ago

TaylorVA, yes plan more Richmond events. I'll try and bring a van full of Northern VA players but I won't allow people in the van unless they've played 5 IFPA events.

#168 4 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

Super league WPPRs? Look pretty easy to get. As do the DMV tournament ones ( I did not actually go to the tournament, so I'm guessing a little).

If you and Kevin showed up most weeks for league and played in the tournament the WPPR's would not have been quite so easy to get. DMV had 8 weeks at 3 games a night head to head plus 9 games in the tournament final, not the hardest but certainly not the easiest WPPR's on offer.

That being said i have found myself guilty of focusing too much on WPPR format and trying to get to 25 games instead of just trying to run a fun tournament.

#172 4 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

To clarify, I was referring to the tournament (high score to qualify then finals) and not the league.

Oh the tournament, yes… well... that was totally red light district!

#227 4 years ago

I like 5.0 more than 4.0 ( the occurrence of 5 people tournaments getting 25 points was way off ). The one thing i really liked about 4.0 though is the certanty of the set base points for a tournament. With 5.0 setting base points directly equals number of people. It would be nice to get back to having a tournament have a known base points ahead of time and adjust base points based on overall rating numbers
    -for example under 5,000 total rating points of all the players combined rating points, not counting rating under 1285.71 would divide base points by 200%
    - 5-10,000 total rating points would reduce base points by 150%
    - 10-20,000 rating points would reduce base points by 100%
    - 20-40 rating points would reduce base points by 50 %
    - 40-60 rating points would not change base points
    - 60,000 - 80,000 rating points would increase base points by 50%
    - 80,000 - 100,000 would increase base points by 75%.
    - 100,000 plus would increase base points by 100%

Have all tournaments set at 16 base points ( weekend weekday, doesn't matter) and then adjust base for total rating points and then grade with TGP.

Huge # tournaments would reach the 32 base points, small tournaments would start at about 4 base points and would need to play 25 games to achieve all of them.

This might not be practical for various reasons but i figured i'd throw it out there so it stops bouncing around in my head.

#230 4 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

It would be a little redundant IMO to base the base value off of the IFPA Player Ratings, and then adjust the value of the boost in the tournament off the same metric.

Yes i can see how that would be redundant. I was thinking in this scenario using the rating # would be an approximation of # of players and if you have a good metric why not use it twice.

Couldn't agree more on the "Whoppers" though, love saying it, love writing it…
    Whoppers, WPPR's, Whoppers.

1 week later
    #240 4 years ago

SUPERleague looks Wong for many reasons other than good old Shirley. I wonder if the IFPA would consider putting a cap on points any single location can have in a year. One event per year was too few under 4.0 but with NewYork having so many people and the ability to just have one person play a game and then have that count towards the numbers for WPPR's the ranking will be heavily skewed towards large cities with WPPR hungry people raking up the points. i've heard some rumbling of SUPERleague changing to bi-monthly instead of monthly. At about 50 points per event that would be well over 1,000 WPPR's for that location. With a main and a side plus TVA under 4.0 a location could get about 50 points per year. Modern Pinball with the super league ( especially if they go bi-monthly ) could get around 1,200 points per year. Might not be technically feasible to do but a cap on points per location per year might be worth considering.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 89.00
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 6.95
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 221.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 17.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 9.90
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 22.00
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    $ 79.00
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 235.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 96.77
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball-Mods.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fna_royam.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside