Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 242 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by desertT1
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wppr.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Newsom.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#145 9 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

You guys have a ton of WPPRs floating around the DC area. We need to try to keep up, the DMV league's high score tournament is what has really made me take note of how undervalued league play is compared to holding a tournament in which single game qualifiers earn points for not doing anything.
    I do realize WPPRs are secondary to playing, but as director of our league I want to give my players the chance to compete in events like the SCS.

It is said many times by many people that WPPRs are secondary.
    Secondary to socializing, playing, having fun etc.

But man do changes in the WPPR system send shockwaves through tournament formats!

How many side tournaments (yes I realize that they are not classified side anymore) do you think that we will see this year compared to the last few years?

When I would run WPPR 4.0 tournaments, people would contact me for assurance that the event would be an annual rather than a periodic and that they would get full points.

Other people were stunned that I do not plan to change the Maryland Pinball Championship format this year so that the WPPRs would be maximized.

People are so serious about WPPRs and maximizing the WPPR potential at events.
    As though having a high WPPR ranking legitimizes a player.

Some WPPRs are just much easier to get than others.

PAPA WPPRs? Pretty tough. Certainly tougher than local tourney WPPRs.

Super league WPPRs? Look pretty easy to get. As do the DMV tournament ones ( I did not actually go to the tournament, so I'm guessing a little).

Yes, DC has a lot more opportunities for WPPRs than Richmond, but it is nothing like Portland, Seattle, or NYC.

I can't say that I care for the trend of tournaments putting such a priority on maximizing WPPRs.

#149 9 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

I think the key difference here is that PAPA separates their skill divisions into an A/B/C and now D division. Instead of ~400 players being judged collectively (where ~40 players would be seeing double digit WPPR's), you end up taking the top 100 players separately.
    A better comparison would be to Pinburgh . . . how easy are those WPPR's in your opinion?

I only have been to one Pinburgh, the 2012 one. After some changes to the WPPR system, I think that 11th place ended up being around 30 something points. It seems like a lot for just coming in 11th out of 200 something. It's hard to say whether or not that is tougher than winning a local tourney. But for WPPR 5, where 30 something points could be the same as winning 3-4 small tourneys, yeah I think that is too many points. Or maybe that is a good thing. Now it will be hard to go up high in the rankings just on small tourneys.
    You do make a good point about why the PAPA points are tough to get.

Quoted from ifpapinball:

As someone who is now suppressed from the WPPR system not sure why you would care

Because I like to play in fun tournaments, and now people are planning strange formats for tournaments to max the WPPRs.
    Some of the tournaments now, you don't play the same games as the people you beat and never even set foot in the same building as the people that you beat.

I can appreciate what y'all are trying to do with WPPR 5, but I can see Taylor's PoV as well. (Speaking of 1.0 and 2.0, there were no WPPRs for leagues back then Mr. VA!).

Quoted from ifpapinball:

Is there a previous version of WPPR that you prefer? I remember a certain Chris Newsom circa 2006-2007 who was pretty into WPPR v1.0/2.0

I played in more tournaments than anyone from 2002-2005, flying all over the place.
    At that time, as you know, not many people cared about pinball tournaments compared to now. Many of today's best players were playing back then, but most of our league players didn't play in our local tournaments.
    We would get people to come to our FPO, but I would be lucky to get ten players to come to some of my other events pre-WPPR.

I liked playing in tournaments. And running tournaments where people would show up.
    So, yes I liked the way that WPPRs got many more people to participate.

It is difficult to come up with a system that gives out participation points and gives points to players of small and large events that use different formats and tries to fairly rank all of the players in the world and tries to prevent competitive people from exploiting the system. Maybe unreasonable for one list to take on all of this.

My favorite version?
    When did people start going cuckoo for WPPR points?
    The version right before that is my favorite.

People started that with 1.0?
    Damn. So yeah I liked it right before that when you were establishing what would get points and what would not for 1.0.
    I would send you an email - I ran these tournaments last year, can my players get some points?
    Response - this tournament gets half points, this one gets zero.

#163 9 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

I'm pretty sure back then I wasn't giving 0 to anything, as I was desperate to find any results I possibly could to help get things started. Pinballhighscores.org was a huge resource back then.
    Maybe WPPR v6.0 will be titled "back to the start". We'll take 5 years off, and then jump back in out of nowhere asking people to send results in

Eh, attempt at online humor.
    They were both at John's Place, within a month or two of each other, they had small turnouts. Both within a month or two of each other in winter 2005/2006.

Fairfax Winter tournament got points (half), Kamp Washington Challenge did not.

I remember that Ed Z came all the way down for one of them and I felt bad for him that there were so few players.

#164 9 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Players in my league are interested in playing for the SCS which is why I want to make sure that they have equal opportunities to WPPRs that other leagues are affording their members. I'm personally not as interested in competing as much as I am socializing at this point.
    I think the DMV league has complexities as far as SCS qualifying goes as you have players that are given points for states that they may never play in. A player from the DMV league could easily be the top qualifier in the state of VA without every playing a game in it.
    The WPPRs earned in the DMV league for coming in last place and never qualifying in a high score tournament are the equivalent of placing fifth in our league and that is if the DMV only held one season a year. With two seasons in a year the WPPRs earned from finishing last place and not qualifying in either high score tournaments would be greater than a 3rd place finish in our league and all of this could be done without ever setting foot in the state of VA.
    All I want to do is make sure that my members have a chance to win WPPRs on a scale of other leagues and league play that is being taken into account when formulating SCS points.

I get what you are saying. Especially in regards to the DMV league and SCS.

It is difficult for an area with a relatively small player base to compete with an area with a much larger player base.
    Players in the DC area aren't going to have the number of points that players in Pittsburgh have unless they travel to events. There are more players in Pittsburgh and many more tournaments (even without counting the PAPA events). So tournaments there are more valuable, and they have them more often.

Similarly, Richmond has less players and events than DC. You would need to have many events to approach a level playing field for the SCS.

#170 9 years ago
    Quoted from fna_royam:

If you and Kevin showed up most weeks for league and played in the tournament the WPPR's would not have been quite so easy to get. DMV had 8 weeks at 3 games a night head to head plus 9 games in the tournament final, not the hardest but certainly not the easiest WPPR's on offer.
    That being said i have found myself guilty of focusing too much on WPPR format and trying to get to 25 games instead of just trying to run a fun tournament.

To clarify, I was referring to the tournament (high score to qualify then finals) and not the league.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Newsom.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-wppr-system-is-out?tu=Newsom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.