You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tv-most-shocking-deaths-2011-breaking.jpeg
kids.jpg
images-1.jpg
images.jpg
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Thanks, I had missed that one.
So it looks like a lot is riding on those boards arriving at the end of February...as well as Keith finishing the code.

Yep. Hopefully boards will arrive and Keith has more time.

Jack has stated he wants "playable" games when shipped. I thin most of the code will be their but I don't think it will be 100%. Given the history of games last few years. I think it will be similar to what we have seen in the past from Stern. There will be errors to fix, lighting effects added, possible some modes tweeked. I don't think that aspect will change.
I'm not a programmer but I'm sure the added load of LCD and RGB lighting has made the code quite a project.

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

You might be right. Old people may not be able to handle what is going in this game. It might be intended for the new hip generation. Now some old people who can't even operate a remote on their tv.

Yeah, hopefully they have an option on the game to make the font 72 point for geezers like me.

#53 11 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Yeah, hopefully they have an option on the game to make the font 72 point for geezers like me.

LMAO!

#55 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Do you have programming credentials or are you just waxing your esp prowess?

What does that have to do with it?

He didn't say that the expected delay would fall solely to the code...and even if it did, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that JJP's "word" as far as when expected ship dates will be are about as reliable as something that's extremely unreliable. They don't even try to offer a realistic estimate, and the fact they aren't even sure when they're getting the boards in....still? Yeesh.

Yeah, I tend to agree that I think that they will not be shipping machines in quantity next month and possibly into April or May.

#56 11 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The new stuff on the LCD is cool and all, but those low scores are a BUZZ KILL. What's the point of getting people excited with video, to watch your score roll up by a single digit. It is so unbelievably lame, I just can't get over that part of it.

Just stick a piece of paper at the right side of the score with two zeros on it. That is all Stern is doing is adding zeros.

I personally think it is pretty lame in games where you can score a billion points in a matter of 5 minutes of gameplay.

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I personally think it is pretty lame in games where you can score a billion points in a matter of 5 minutes of gameplay.

Attack from Mars wHATTTTTTT?

lol...

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Attack from Mars wHATTTTTTT?
lol...

LOL, you said it not me

#59 11 years ago

Oof, too many twinkly sound effects for me, sounds way too much like a newer video slot machine.

#60 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

What does that have to do with it?
He didn't say that the expected delay would fall solely to the code...and even if it did, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that JJP's "word" as far as when expected ship dates will be are about as reliable as something that's extremely unreliable. They don't even try to offer a realistic estimate, and the fact they aren't even sure when they're getting the boards in....still? Yeesh.
Yeah, I tend to agree that I think that they will not be shipping machines in quantity next month and possibly into April or May.

It has plenty to do with it. Look at the comment. He is talking code "i still think the programming needs a lot of help. Those hoping for feb or march delivery....wishful thinking. i give it about june until finished.". Based on what experience? The only one who can make a comment like that is someone with programming experience. If i looked at a framed house and say "It looks like its going to take years to finish that house" and its complete in 45 days all that means is I know absolutely nothing about construction.

I hate when people who have no credentials make comments about "how long something should/will take". That's why all of you have such unrealistic expectation on stern code as well.

It is an absolute pet peeve of mine when non developers/technologists make wild ass assumptions as to how long or how to. It's just ridiculous. I don't do it on things I know nothing about and neither should they.

#61 11 years ago

While I shouldn't speak on behalf of other people, I've met him in person enough to know that he's a smart enough guy to take into account all of the information that was presented, even if he's solely commenting about the programming on that post.

Quoted from Pinchroma:

It is an absolute pet peeve of mine when non developers/technologists make wild ass assumptions as to how long or how to. It's just ridiculous. I don't do it on things I know nothing about and neither should they.

How many times have you met him? You have any idea what his job is, what he knows, or anything about him other than what little you've seen on this board? Just saying... sounds to me like you made a rather large assumption about something you don't know anything about.

Anyways...I'm getting off my soapbox as far as that goes..wasn't trying to start an argument. Thanks for linking to the video. I don't find the sound effects that bad, but man, there's a ton of info on that LCD that I will never see while playing. At least it will give observers something interesting to look at!

Anyone noticed they seem to have toned down the good witch voiceover?

#62 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I don't find the sound effects that bad, but man, there's a ton of info on that LCD that I will never see while playing.

Often when playing a goal-based game, I'll capture the ball, then go through the instant information to see where I stand toward objectives. I can see myself doing the same with WOZ, but the information is more readily available, more complete, and even looks better.

Yes, voiceover is less frantic, which we were always told it would be. It also appears, but hard to confirm from short clips, that the scoring may have been boosted somewhat.

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

While I shouldn't speak on behalf of other people, I've met him in person enough to know that he's a smart enough guy to take into account all of the information that was presented, even if he's solely commenting about the programming on that post.

How many times have you met him? You have any idea what his job is, what he knows, or anything about him other than what little you've seen on this board? Just saying... sounds to me like you made a rather large assumption about something you don't know anything about.
Anyways...I'm getting off my soapbox as far as that goes..wasn't trying to start an argument. Thanks for linking to the video. I don't find the sound effects that bad, but man, there's a ton of info on that LCD that I will never see while playing. At least it will give observers something interesting to look at!
Anyone noticed they seem to have toned down the good witch voiceover?

I didn't make any assumptions about him which is why I asked what his credentials were. Its seems cyclical around here.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#65 11 years ago

I played the game and it is awesome! Best built and nicest looking machine I've ever seen. I hope Jack just takes the time to get it right. We all love Pinball and want this to be a great game...and the next. Damn, some of you just seem like you hate the hobby...

#66 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Damn, some of you just seem like you hate the hobby...

The nerve of Jack to start a company, pick WOZ as a theme and build a game! He shall NEVER be forgiven! It's an outrage! The game isn't released yet and it's not even finished! Doesn't he know it should be finished months before it's going to ship and they should show us everything before it does?!?! We as pinball players and collectors have rights!!! He's ruining pinball as we know it!

#67 11 years ago
Quoted from riggy469:

The nerve of Jack to start a company, pick WOZ as a theme and build a game! He shall NEVER be forgiven! It's an outrage! The game isn't released yet and it's not even finished! Doesn't he know it should be finished months before it's going to ship and they should show us everything before it does?!?! We as pinball players and collectors have rights!!! He's ruining pinball as we know it!

The nerve of him was when he was bashing competitor's products (that he used to say he liked to help sell) and the company itself for not providing things in a timely manner. When new car companies come into being, they have never directly bashed their competition because they know as time marches on, they are closer and closer to their own problems/issues.

#68 11 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The new stuff on the LCD is cool and all, but those low scores are a BUZZ KILL. What's the point of getting people excited with video, to watch your score roll up by a single digit. It is so unbelievably lame, I just can't get over that part of it.

There is a chance that the released code will have a few extra zeroes for scoring etc. Might be the way to easily determine if the machine has the prototype code and/or boards/PC.

#69 11 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

you should look at the Predator, seems like you can score over one Billion+ points, literally some jackpots are 25,000,000 points.

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

The nerve of him was when he was bashing competitor's products

Cripes, old news. Stern wasn't an innocent bystander either. Jack and Gary made up long ago.

LTG : )

#71 11 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

The nerve of him was when he was bashing competitor's products (that he used to say he liked to help sell) and the company itself for not providing things in a timely manner. When new car companies come into being, they have never directly bashed their competition because they know as time marches on, they are closer and closer to their own problems/issues.

I don't care what Jack or Gary do, except put out quality games. It's business, yet lots of people around here are so offended about what occurred between them in the past. Let them deal with the business, and let us concentrate on the games.

#72 11 years ago

I really do have to ask a question about scoring.

If you have a jackpot worth 2,500 or 25,000,000... Do you really need the self gratification to see the difference?

If you hit a target and its worth 1,000 or 10,000 it's still a factor of X?

It just makes no sense that people are ACTUALLY complaining about that. I will release a mod after the fact to just add a 100x multiplier to the end of game score so everyone feels warm and fuzzy

#73 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

If you have a jackpot worth 2,500 or 25,000,000... Do you really need the self gratification to see the difference?

Sometimes I replace ROMs to divide the scores by 10 so that a 100 point bumper only scores 10 points.

#74 11 years ago

That's kind of my point. There is no appreciable difference if a good game is 1B vs 1M.

A good game on TZ is 1B.. If the scores were modified and the good game went to being 1MM (/1000), does that mean it is any less a good game?

Thats why I think the whole scoring argument doesn't hold water.

#75 11 years ago

It's gonna be AWESOME BABY!!!...As Dickie V would say a PTP'er...

I am freaking excited!!.....

along with BHZA and Predator its just a great time to have pinball as a hobby...

Btw, I played TOTAN again last night in Austin and its just a thing of beauty, the detailed artwork is unreal and really love some of the nuances of the game....go get em Jpop!

#76 11 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

There are 20,000 Addams Family out and its 20 years old yet still hard to find. If WOZ hits 10k or 5k production or even more over 20k if people like the pin it will not be for sale or the price will go up as one day they will stop making them and move on to the next pin. TAF now cost more than new even old beater ones sell for more than 3200. Not saying WOZ will do that but I dont see how its not going to be very desirable and draw in new players.
The LCD is great the argument of smaller seems to me its like saying I rather have one channel of tv as I can only watch one at a time anyways. I think its great to say as The Boss did in his now famous song, 57 channels and nothing on. I rather have a busy LCD to keep me entertained in a home environment in a pin as I see how that will enhance the playing experience and allow for a much deeper game. Look at all the people who want video mods on the dmd pins, here you have several options.
The pin is going to be GREAT!!!

The LCD is cool, can't argue with you there Buddy.

There "were" 20,000 Addams Family machines but production stopped long ago & the last 20 years have decreased the # of machines in existence significantly. So yeah WOZ may go up in value in 2034 indeed.

#77 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Cripes, old news. Stern wasn't an innocent bystander either. Jack and Gary made up long ago.
LTG : )

Stern wasn't out publicly bashing JJP. Stern has their own sins but that's not one. Stern has always taken the stay-out-of-the-fray approach.

#78 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

If you hit a target and its worth 1,000 or 10,000 it's still a factor of X?
It just makes no sense that people are ACTUALLY complaining about that. I will release a mod after the fact to just add a 100x multiplier to the end of game score so everyone feels warm and fuzzy

This whole issue shouldn't be an issue but I really do believe there's a sweet spot for scoring. Even when I have a good game on avengers my score is pretty low. Doesn't feel like I've accomplished as much as some of the other pins. On the other hand a game like baywatch where you hit a sling for 100billion is a little overboard There's a nice happy medium somewhere.

#79 11 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Stern wasn't out publicly bashing JJP. Stern has their own sins but that's not one. Stern has always taken the stay-out-of-the-fray approach.

Then I must have misunderstood what was said at the Transformer launch party at Expo 2011.

Lloyd

#80 11 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Is it really your stance that something purported to have been said nearly 2 years ago and since rectified, still has relevance today and should be used to color our opinion of that person?

#81 11 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

Is it really your stance that something purported to have been said nearly 2 years ago and since rectified, still has relevance today and should be used to color our opinion of that person?

Seems like it, keeps getting brought up in most JJP threads by a few who just can't let it go.

#82 11 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Seems like it, keeps getting brought up in most JJP threads by a few who just can't let it go.

Or a few who don't have all the facts and in the process appear quite foolish.

#83 11 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

The LCD is cool, can't argue with you there Buddy.
There "were" 20,000 Addams Family machines but production stopped long ago & the last 20 years have decreased the # of machines in existence significantly. So yeah WOZ may go up in value in 2034 indeed.

Good one! I hope I am alive in 2034 watching UT finally beat 'Bama again as it might take that long to rebuild the team. The only reason I mention football is because of the comment about the future where Nick Saban made a funny remark about super football conferences and not really giving a crap who they play. In 2034 I be 66/67 I hope I can still play pinball and move pins especially a heavy WOZ as I already moved it three times and its heavy, very heavy.

#84 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Then I must have misunderstood what was said at the Transformer launch party at Expo 2011.
Lloyd

You did and that's the only example you have.

#85 11 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Or a few who don't have all the facts and in the process appear quite foolish.

JJP and team did. The facts are easily accessible through YouTube videos and first-hand witnessing of jabs at Stern. Quite frankly it doesn't bother me at all. I find it funny. Many of their jabs showed their total lack of experience and ended up biting them in the arse. I do agree it's old and probably should be dropped. Although I think it's only ever used to refute what fanbois say. And you'll notice that Jack made a very good decision to stop posting here and getting in fights with people. It's really just best to stay out of it all. Again, like stern does. So kudos to him on that front.

#86 11 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

If WOZ hits 10k or 5k production or even more over 20k if people like the pin it will not be for sale or the price will go up as one day they will stop making them and move on to the next pin.

When I was first getting into the hobby, you could buy TAFs *all day long* for $1400. They weren't NIB, but they were nice games.

If Jack makes a billion of these like I hope and - the biggest key - gets a ton of them on route, their prices will come down on them, at least for a while. Just like others have said though, I would welcome NIB pins not immediately appreciating in value. If Stern was selling Tron for $4600 and a couple months later, Tron is selling for $4800 used, it means that Stern should have made more to make more money. Stern (and JJP) don't owe the secondary market anything, and I for one would be absolutely fine if those people who get up in arms if their NIB games don't go up in value decide to move on.

#87 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

That's kind of my point. There is no appreciable difference if a good game is 1B vs 1M.
A good game on TZ is 1B.. If the scores were modified and the good game went to being 1MM (/1000), does that mean it is any less a good game?
Thats why I think the whole scoring argument doesn't hold water.

While I can see your point, we are being told that this game is going after a new/younger market. Like it or not, we are a HUGE number society now. I just can't see that "new/younger" audience getting excited about scoring 54,200 points.

I liken it to inflation. There was a time when having $100 meant you were wealthy... Then $1,000 became the new benchmark... Then $1,000,000....

#88 11 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

JJP and team did. The facts are easily accessible through YouTube videos and first-hand witnessing of jabs at Stern. Quite frankly it doesn't bother me at all. I find it funny. Many of their jabs showed their total lack of experience and ended up biting them in the arse. I do agree it's old and probably should be dropped. Although I think it's only ever used to refute what fanbois say. And you'll notice that Jack made a very good decision to stop posting here and getting in fights with people. It's really just best to stay out of it all. Again, like stern does. So kudos to him on that front.

I think i was the last to be attacked. Cant agree with you more chuck.....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 16.95
9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 24.50
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 91.00
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-woz-video-new-modes-and-notice-the-scoring/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.