11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by bladerunner
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 months ago

We are due for new windows.
    These are double hung,double pane
    The question is this.
    Is it worth up to $300 more per window to spring for laminated glass?

The pros I know of and like are
    1)Security
    2)Sound proofing
    3) Safety

We need 13 windows so it is a potential $3900 difference/decision.

This will be our first and only window replacement from there on they are guaranteed for life so I don’t want to have any regrets
    Those being that I wasted money for laminated and it wasn’t that much better or even worse wishing I would have just spent the extra at the time and would have been.

Any experiences or input appreciated.

#2 11 months ago

You could use the laminated windows on the ground level, and basement levels, for the security benefits. Also if there is a large window on a stairway landing.

#3 11 months ago

Unfortunately we only have one window upstairs so the potential $300 savings probably isn’t worth ordering twelve laminated and one non but if there were more a split that would be a smart way to handle it for certain.

#4 11 months ago

Architect here. I specify laminated glass for security and impact resistance at schools. On the first floor it is common. We only use it on the second floor when near noise like airports. Would I use it in my own home? No. I don't have noise or security concerns. I'd have to accidentally break a lot of standard glass to break even too.

#5 11 months ago
    Quoted from balt:

Architect here. I specify laminated glass for security and impact resistance at schools. On the first floor it is common. We only use it on the second floor when near noise like airports. Would I use it in my own home? No. I don't have noise or security concerns. I'd have to accidentally break a lot of standard glass to break even too.

Thanks that helps.
    We do have some noise concerns.
    Mostly wildlife. There is an owl that has been on a mission to destroy my sleep for at least two or three years now.
    I wonder how long owls live?
    The other is a fairly close train track.
    I don’t notice any of that stuff during the day but at night when all is calm I can pick up on it and it sets the dog off who in turn barks.
    Security wise not too worried but more security is always going to be better than less.
    Safetywise no concerns at all.

#6 11 months ago

Sleep with a fan on.

#7 11 months ago

I assume you have double hung windows now? Laminated glass is sort of like the Argon filled glass from a few years ago. Way more money, minimal benefit, and a few years forward, no benefit at all. (the Argon leaks out). I’d skip it. The soundproofing is very small, and depends on the rest of the window being sealed perfectly - which it usually isn’t.

#8 11 months ago

Found some breakage comparison videos.
    Pretty cool.

#9 11 months ago
    Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Found some breakage comparison videos

After the third hit, by a break and enter thief they will move on to another house. Making more noise than needed will chase them off.

#10 11 months ago

Funny, I was looking at same for a few windows that I do not want to use hurricane shutters on because of aesthetics. Found another product form 3M too.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 3.00
    $ 149.00
    € 59.80
    Lighting - Backbox
    Freddys Pinball Paradise
    $ 218.00
    $ 79.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pixels Arcade Games
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 156.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 2.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 18.99
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 69.50
    Boards
    Pinball Haus
    $ 109.99
    $ 72.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 12,500.00
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside