6%
  • 09-lamps 0 votes
  • 10-solenoids 0 votes
  • 11-sounds 0 votes
  • 12-sounds2 0 votes
  • clear_cmos 0 votes
  • edit_cmos 0 votes
  • init_cmos 0 votes

(Multiple choice - 16 votes by 5 Pinsiders)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1J4.jpg
memory_protect.jpg
wms6.jpg
wms3-4.jpg
WMS-SYS6_R001B (resized).jpg
WMS-SYS6_R002B (resized).jpg
WMS-SYS6_R003B (resized).jpg
IMG_4365 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1542 (resized).JPG
IMG_1543 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
LTSpice sim of BLANKING keep-alive in test ROM (resized).png
02-blanking (resized).png
0C200399-BFEC-4C5C-9381-C10E3CD5EC73 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8222 (resized).JPG
IMG_8221 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pincoder.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hi,

I've written some ROMs for Williams System 3-7 pinball machines that are very simple to use, and can be used in-game, so you don't need any test fixtures.

Install and power up each ROM in order to quickly help you identify problems with your entire machine.

System 7 games:
Barracora
Black Knight
Cosmic Gunfight
Defender
Firepower II
Hyperball *
Joust
Jungle Lord
Laser Cue
Pharaoh
Solar Fire
Time Fantasy
Varkon
Warlok

System 6a games:
Algar
Alien Poker

System 6 games:

Tri Zone
Time Warp
Gorgar
Laser Ball
Firepower
Blackout
Scorpion

System 4 games:

Pokerino
Phoenix
Flash
Stellar Wars

System 3 games:

Hot Tip
Lucky Seven
World Cup
Contact
Disco Fever

* NOTE: Hyperball is not fully supported in this version. Specifically, the displays ROM does not test the alphanumeric display in the playfield. I am still looking for a working hyperball machine and when I find one I'll make an update. If you have a lead on a working hyperball feel free to send me a message on pinside.com (@pincoder).

The Pincoder software download contains 2K and 4K ROM files that can be used in your game:

- 2K ROM images (system3-7) can be used in 2716 EPROMs and 2816 EEPROMs.
- 4K ROM images (system 7) can be used in 2532 and 2732 EPROMS.

You can get them all in a single zip file here: https://pincoder.ca

UPDATE: The immediate need for a chip programmer and obsolete chips has been removed. Simply purchase the Pincoder Adapter - it includes ALL the latest Pincoder ROM images on a single chip and is compatible with System 3 through 7 without the need for any other adapters. You can find out more about this item as well as purchase it here (click and scroll down to "HOW TO GET ONE"):

https://pincoder.ca/index.php/2020/07/10/adapter-2020-06-23-0506/

Thanks again for your support!

Craig

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Some of these look very handy. Great work. I am going to play with the sound test to explore the noises in each sound ROM. The CMOS clear is useful for a system 7 board running older software and NVRAM as switching between games leaves you no easy way to clear the RAM on the board.
Since there is sixteen 2716 images one could build a 27256 EPROM board with a 4 position dip and pullup resistors to bank switch between each test rom.

That would be a handy board to have. I've thought about putting them all in one ROM and making them selectable via DIP switches, but that would require functioning RAM (as well as other resources) and would render the entire ROM useless if one of those resources were faulty.

The ideal solution (if you want to spend the $300 US) is to use the Pocket Romulator. Then you don't need to program any chips at all, and you can select the ROM image you want by uploading it via USB/serial from your laptop.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from 2manypins:

Thank you for your work.

You're welcome! Let me know what you think after trying them out

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

..why would that require ram?

Because writing code with subroutines requires the use of the stack (to call the subroutine), which is located in RAM.

ROMs 01-LEDs through 06-ram3 are written without using any RAM or subroutines, so that they will function regardless of any working RAM installed.

This means that 03-cmos through 06-ram3 are then able to test 100% of the RAM/CMOS address space without clobbering themselves and causing the test to crash.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from eh97ac:

Are you planning on writing anything similar for Bally/Stern MPU's?

I wouldn't say it's out of the question, but I've no experience yet with those games. From what I understand, they use the same CPU and PIA chips so I'd just need to get familiar with them first..

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from SteveNZ:

Nice work, I have some weird problems on a System 6 board. I'll get some more 2716 ROMS and do some testing. My board is modified to run the Firepower Combo ROM. will these tests still work?

Yes. The Firepower Combo ROM modification only changes access to the GAMEROM (IC14) side of things, and the test ROMs run in the GREEN2 flipper (IC17) socket. They should work just fine. Please let me know how you make out with it

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

The blank PCBs shouldnt be expensive to have made. Perhaps I can upload the gerber file to a site people can order from or just have some made the next time I order blank PCBs.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
The four upper most address bits are attached to a dip switch bank. When the dip switch bank is closed it is a zero, grounded. When dip switch bank is open it is pulled up by 10K sip resistor to make a one. That should split the 256K EPROM into sixteen 16K chunks.

This is great. If you upload the gerber files I'll also post them on the main pincoder page, and I'll compile a single 27256 image to go with them, so each test would be selectable by the DIPs.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but this board will work with 2764 and 27128 (albeit with smaller chunks) correct?

EDIT: The latest version of ROMs now includes "27256.bin". This file is a concatenation of all 16 ROMs into one, so each test should be accessible by setting the DIP switches. Please try this image on your board and let me know how it goes.. http://pincoder.ca

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

That was the original discussion, I think? Most of the roms probably don't need the full 2kb or anything even. Should be possible to read the mpu dip switches, jump to one of the tests, repeat.

It is possible, absolutely (In terms of the original discussion: MPU DIPs). I hesitate though, because if that PIA is bad, then it's possible none of the other test images will be accessible, making them useless.

As for using DIPs on a board such as barakandl suggests, I think it covers all needs quite nicely. Each 2K ROM image is independent of the others and so simplifies diagnostics, and also allows for a single, newer chip to be utilized, saving time and money.

Speaking of which, @barakandl, let me know if I need to re-arrange the order of the ROMs in the 27256.bin image to agree with DIP switch settings.

While we're at it, what's the highest (and most available) chip to use? with a 27512 or higher there's room for future 2K test ROMs.

Also, what about static RAM chips? Since the board allows us the freedom of any chip's pinout, maybe static RAMs are better, even if they're much larger than we'd ever need..

Thoughts?

2 weeks later
#29 5 years ago
Quoted from uofmer:

Hey - just downloaded your images - I have a FLASH game that isn't booting I fail the first test - leds don't flash, so it's time to start removing ICs. Bummer! All the signals (looking with a scope) look good - the uP is running. Some of the databus lines look questionable so it could be the RAM or the PIA. Neither is in a socket... It would be nice if there was some alternate signal you could toggle besides the LEDs so I could isolate it between the PIA or the databus... Anyway - glad you are doing this - it's been hard to find the previous testroms (Andre/Leon) and their instructions on the web.

1) Check that CA2 on PIA1 is high while this test is running. Without it IC2 will not do anything with the LEDs. Also check that pin 15 on IC2 is low enough to be a logic 0 and that SW2 is open.

2) Are you seeing the toggles on PA4 and PA5?

3) What about VMA on IC1? You should be seeing toggles there as well as IC8 (14,13,3).

4) Have you tried 02-blanking? It just toggles the PA2 to keep the blanking circuit happy and would give you another signal to test.

You're right, it would be a bummer if the data lines are being bogged down by some other chip(s). I could write a ROM that does NOPs so that the address and data lines are not being accessed, which might allow you to look for non-floating address/data lines. I've never tried it but would imagine the CPU to behave that way when running NOPs forever. If the data lines are being bogged down, PIA1 could never be initialized properly and so PIA1 just might be okay.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from uofmer:

looking at Mouser and Digikey - the mainstream EEPROM are now the 1Mb parts. the 28C256 parts are ~$6 while the 39SF010 (1Mb) is ~$1.37. However, the 1Mb part is a 32 pin dip. While $5 isn't much, it might be better to change the layout to support the 32pin footprint to future proof the design? The UV 27x256 parts are, however, all over ebay between $2 and $10 bucks, but since I don't have a UV eraser, I like the EE parts better... just a thought.

Thanks for your input. I agree, eliminating the UV eraser is the way to go I'll look into the 39SF010 as they are still an active product.

#31 5 years ago

uofmer Download the latest images (http://pincoder.ca). I've added a "00-bus" test that might help in showing which address/data bus lines might be bogging down the bus (by ensuring the CPU ignores interrupts and is in a WAIT state). Take a look at the notes (00-bus.txt) give it a try in your Flash, and let me know if it helps you at all.

Also, I've updated 06-ram3 to test the additional RAM space on a system 7 board (04-ram1 and 05-ram2 still need to be run to fully test RAM on system 7).

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from uofmer:

Here's the testing...

on PIA1, on pins 1 - 20, only 1 and 18 are low and the rest are high (steady state). on the other side of the IC, all the pins are toggling - 21-24 are fast toggles (looks correct), 25 clock is ok, 26-33 looks like the databus, 34 high (reset), 35-36 looks like the address bus and 37/38 high and 39/40 low

no, but.... if I press SW 1 (diag) I can get the those pins (and therefor the LED) to turn on or off. The only change when I press the button (not all the time ~20% of the time) and usually they sequence top on, both on, both off... Since that is just toggling the NMI, is there something in the code executing ???

yes VMA looks good at the processor and the address buffers, chipselect logic etc

no difference, however, depressing SW1 doesn't change the LEDS (both on) - PA2 stays high

The NMI switch and IC2 circuits will light the LEDs at the same time all by the hardware, so what you're seeing is normal, and is not a function of software.

Seems like the CPU is running but PIA1 is not responding to anything it's given. Is it in a socket? Can you swap it with a known good one?

Since PIA1 controls the LEDs, displays and switches, the only other test you could run that would show you a working CPU without using displays or switches is 12-solenoids. It requires input from switches to fire solenoids and uses displays , but it also enables the flipper relay at startup, so you only need to power it on and check that the flipper relay is energized. Of course you can also hit the flipper buttons and the flippers should move.

If you can do that then the address and data buses are fine, and the problem is quite likely PIA1

#38 5 years ago

Interesting. So even back then they were selling chips that didn’t make the cut as lower quality chips having limited features. Some things never change!

2 weeks later
#43 5 years ago
Quoted from SteveNZ:

@barakandl Thanks for the board info above. I built a board based on your drawings, just on a perf board not a PCB. It all tests OK with a continuity etc. I burnt the combined image onto a 27C256 and installed the chip. I then tested the board in my Rom burner, reading every option for the 4 dips back into the Rom burner. All work exactly as expected, except for when all 4 select dips are set to ON, this should select image 0 - Bus, but it selects image 4 - RAM1. It seems like dip3 is not turning ON, but it is, otherwise I couldn't select 11 lamps, 10 timer etc. Any idea what is going wrong?

Great to hear you're trying this out. Let us know how it goes!

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from SteveNZ:

I checked all 4 lines that are connected to the dips, I get 4.98v when the dip is open and 0v when the dip is closed. I also checked the image in the 27C256 and it looks to me that ROM 0 is the first one in the list. I did this in case ROM 4 was accidentally written to the 27C256.
Is there any chance that when all 4 addresses are low it does not select the first chunk, as in should it be some other combination of address pins?

After thinking about it, I realized that the 27256.bin file was too long. It had 17 ROM images instead of 16. Perhaps the burning software you're using got confused by the extra bytes and wrote the image wrong. So I've removed 16-edit_cmos from the 27256.bin image. You can still find the edit_cmos test in the zip file as a standalone 2K image if you want to use it.

Please download the latest version and try again.

Quoted from SteveNZ:

Unfortunately I can't report back on very much yet. I have 2 System 6 boards that will not pass the LED test, so I am stuck at the BUS (ROM 0) test. given my issue above with selecting ROM 0, I burnt a 2716 with ROM 0 for testing.
While I'm here, I should check some things:
I understand that these test ROMs are designed to be used with the boards in the game. Can I use the ROMS with the boards on the test bench instead?
Do the ROMs, including the BUS ROM, only work correctly if the driver board is connected?
On 1 of my boards Pin34 on the CPU is high but J1 is installed and R4 is removed and a 6808 is installed - so I need to figure out what is going wrong there.
On both System 6 boards I have some address lines that are not as per your expected conditions. I'll look to trace those lines through the board to see where the problem lies.

You should be able to use the ROMS out of the game and on the bench. However, without any of the displays and switches etc you will not be able to do much with the latter tests. Since the earlier ones dont require any input from the user and results are only displayed on the LEDs they can be of use while on the bench.

00-bus does not initialize any PIAs and should run without the driver board connected. The rest of the tests each initialize all PIAs and technically should require the driver board, but I dont think the CPU will lock up trying to write to a PIA that isn't there so you should be able to get away with leaving the driver board disconnected. I will put an MPU board on the bench and verify.

For Boards with 6808 processor (J1 Installed and R4 Removed) you will require a RAM chip in IC13 for for normal game operation. Test ROMS 00-bus through 06-ram3 do not require any RAM or CMOS whatsoever (aside from the obvious RAM/CMOS they are testing). So as far as software goes, it shouldn't matter what pin 34 is doing, or what CPU chip you have, or whether you have any RAM installled at all. The test ROMs should still run.

The CPU chip itself may have something else to say about that. I'll see if I have a 6808 around and put it in a benched board without any ram and see if it can still run the tests.

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from eh97ac:

pincoder
I cannot find the gerber files on your site. Can you post a direct link?

Sorry, there are no gerber files at this point though barakandl has posted PCB images in this thread.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

After thinking about it, I realized that the 27256.bin file was too long. It had 17 ROM images instead of 16. Perhaps the burning software you're using got confused by the extra bytes and wrote the image wrong. So I've removed 16-edit_cmos from the 27256.bin image. You can still find the edit_cmos test in the zip file as a standalone 2K image if you want to use it.
Please download the latest version and try again.

You should be able to use the ROMS out of the game and on the bench. However, without any of the displays and switches etc you will not be able to do much with the latter tests. Since the earlier ones dont require any input from the user and results are only displayed on the LEDs they can be of use while on the bench.
00-bus does not initialize any PIAs and should run without the driver board connected. The rest of the tests each initialize all PIAs and technically should require the driver board, but I dont think the CPU will lock up trying to write to a PIA that isn't there so you should be able to get away with leaving the driver board disconnected. I will put an MPU board on the bench and verify.
For Boards with 6808 processor (J1 Installed and R4 Removed) you will require a RAM chip in IC13 for for normal game operation. Test ROMS 00-bus through 06-ram3 do not require any RAM or CMOS whatsoever (aside from the obvious RAM/CMOS they are testing). So as far as software goes, it shouldn't matter what pin 34 is doing, or what CPU chip you have, or whether you have any RAM installled at all. The test ROMs should still run.
The CPU chip itself may have something else to say about that. I'll see if I have a 6808 around and put it in a benched board without any ram and see if it can still run the tests.

Update: Just did some testing on the bench:

1) You can run the ROMs on a bench without the driver board connected. The CPU doesn't lock up when it tries to write to PIAs that aren't there.

2) You can run ROMs 00-bus through 06-ram3 without any RAM or CMOS installed (except for the obvious chips each of them test).

2) The docs for 00-bus had you looking at IC1 pin 34 as the RE line. This was incorrect. The correct RE pin is 36. Thanks to SteveNZ for pointing this out. I'll revise the doc and put out a new release.

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Craig, you have the link wrong for the new version of the file (or the file name is wrong). You have it pointing to version 2015 and it should be 2051. Correct link:
http://pincoder.reversion.ca/ccn/ROMS/pincoder_roms-2716_2018-09-26_2051.zip

Ha! Fixed. Thanks

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from SteveNZ:

In the end there is nothing wrong with the 27C256 image or the schematics for the adapter board, i was just misreading the information from my ROM burner. So have confidence with burning a 27C256 chip and making an adapter board.

Nice! and thanks for the update Have you tried all of the ROMs yet?

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from SteveNZ:

I haven't tested any of the ROMS other than 00. I'm stuck at the 00 Bus ROM ROM. neither of my boards will run the 01 LED ROM.
With 00 ROM I have all the correct signals at IC1 (CPU) except for pin 9 A0, which is low, and should be high. I can't find a short of any kind and there is continuity from pin 9 to the buffer chip and from the buffer chip to the IC17 ROM.
I am testing on a workbench and if I detach the driver board all the datalines are low, I don't know if this is normal or if it is a clue.
Tonight, I will test with Leon's test chip, I have already tested with Marco's and I get 1 long flash then a locked LED, if I am interpreting correctly it means that the first ROM is not testing correctly, but replacing the ROM makes no difference.

What if you take out ALL the roms, and as many socketed chips as you can? (including the CPU) and power it up. I'll try mine and see what kind of results I get on the address and data lines. I would think that without a CPU chip installed the lines would be Hi-Z.

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from SteveNZ:

I didn't have a chance to do more testing, the board just started to work again, there must be an intermittent connection or short on the board. Hard to find now, so I'll just wait until it fails again.
I have another board with a similar problem, but I am fairly sure the issue is caused by previous battery damage that was not cleaned up fully.

It drives me crazy when problems just go away like that, but I'm glad its at least working for now, and that you are finding the test ROMs useful.

Quoted from SteveNZ:

The title of this thread suggests the ROMs are for System 3, 4 and 6, but in the documents there is reference to System 7.
Can I use these ROMs for System 7? Which IC socket on the System 7 board should I insert the ROM into?

IC17 is normally a 2732 chip so yes, it would go there and the image would need to be doubled up on the chip.

I recently tested the ROMs on a system 7 Pharaoh. The MPU board had been modified to use a 2716 in the IC17 socket. Pharaoh also has 7 digit displays. Not sure if all 7's have seven digit displays. Anyway, I noticed a few irregularities. For one, the LEDs on the MPU board are flipped (so bottom is top and top is bottom). The 7 segment LED does some weird but harmless dancing around, and the 7 digit display signals are not compatible with the six digit. Numbers are jumbled up. So all of the ROMs that use displays are pretty much useless. The machine I was on had it's own issues and so I could not be certain the ROMs were functioning properly.

I really need to get a hold of a working system 7 board and go through the ROMs with a fine tooth comb. Then I could change the title of this thread

#65 5 years ago

The source code is not available for download.

2 weeks later
#73 5 years ago
Quoted from Theonlylilo:

Hi! Just simple questions: I have a 27256 rom, I can create the adapter, but I cannot understand how to select the specific test rom via dip switch
Then, I'm trying these amazing software (thanks Pincoder!!! ) on a partially working sys6 board. Test 01-Led is ok, also the test 02-Blanking but with 00-BUS I noticed that pin 9 (address A0) is LOW instead HIGH as it should be.. What can cause this wrong signal?
Thanks

The different tests can be accessed by setting the DIP switches to their binary value ie:

0000 = 00-bus
0001 = 01-leds
0010 = 02-blanking
0011 = 03-cmos
0100 = 04-ram1
0101 = 05-ram2
0110 = 06-ram3
0111 = 07-displays
1000 = 08-switches
1001 = 09-interrupts
1010 = 10-timer
1011 = 11-lamps
1100 = 12-solenoids
1101 = 13-sounds
1110 = 14-clear_cmos
1111 = 15-init_cmos

Note that 16-edit_cmos cannot be accessed since the 27256 chip can only hold 16 x 2K images

I still have no explanation for the LOW address lines on the 00-bus test. I had two lines that were low on my board and it works just fine. You would think it would be safe to assume that all boards should test the same here but clearly they do not.

You only need to run the 00-bus test if 01-leds fails. If that one passes, skip the 00-bus test and move on to 02-blanking and keep moving ahead.

2 weeks later
#74 5 years ago

Hi everyone, there's a new version of ROMs available:

http://pincoder.ca

This version adds two new ROMs: 17-transceivers and 18-bounce.

Craig

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from Stretch7:

Nice to see this being updated.... ill be trying this out in the near future

Nice to see people trying them out!

#78 5 years ago

Hi again!

Although not ALL of the ROMs have been ported to System 7, there are some available in the new beta version if anyone wants to use them. Mostly just the basics, RAM and CMOS tests etc, and are available in 2K (2716) and 4K (2732/2532) sizes.

I'll update the title of this thread once all of the system 7 ROMs are available in a standard release.

The beta version of the zip file contains support for system 7 as well as 3,4, 6.

You can find RELEASE and BETA versions here: http://pincoder.ca

Craig

3 months later
#86 5 years ago
Quoted from uofmer:

Hey Pincoder.... I finally got a chance to continue working on my dead MPU board for Flash and finally (with the help of your ROMs) I found the issue. The 7410 that decodes the read/write for the data buffers had one input not working, so when doing a read, it was OK, but on the write, the data transceivers were not being enabled at the right time so I would always write 0's . Never been so happy as seeing the LED blink!!! It wasn't an obvious failure - the IC wasn't hot, and the input pin was toggling correctly. Anyway, that was the only issue keeping the game from booting - now to do fix the drop targets and rebuild the flippers and I'll be a happy camper!
it made it nice to run the RAM and Light tests w/o enabling everything else at first with the Game ROMs.

That's freaking awesome!! Nice going on finding the problem!! I'm glad the ROMs came to be of some help! That was a pretty peculiar issue. Thanks for giving me some feedback on what kind of chip you needed

1 month later
#88 5 years ago

I'm glad you're putting these ROMs to use, and thanks for posting the video!

The LEDs should be flashing one at a time, top.. bottom..top..bottom.. etc.

From the looks of things the test ROM isn't actually being executed at all. The two LEDs come on simultaneously upon power up, and the test ROM then shuts them off and begins the test. Also, the sound you're hearing is from an uninitialized PIA on the driver board. When the ROM runs, it also initializes all of the PIAs right away.

So, from the looks of it, the MPU board is not even getting to the point where it starts to run code.

Things to test:

1 - Check for 4.9-5.2 Volts coming in to the MPU board (TP9-5V and TP10-GND).

2 - Ensure that the reset circuit is working. TP8 should go HIGH about 1 second after power up and stay that way. If it bounces up and down (continues to reset) both LEDs will probably flash each time (Though I've never had a bouncy reset signal so I'm guessing as to the outcome).

3 - Ensure the test ROM has been programmed correctly. If you look at the first page of bytes in each ROM image you will see the name of the ROM etc.

4 - Ensure the test ROM is in the IC17 socket, correctly inserted (notch end down) and all pins are inserted correctly, etc.

Let me know what you find

#90 5 years ago

Hmm. First off, when you switch the game on you should ALWAYS get power across TP9 and TP10. If you're not, then you need to look at the power supply. There are plenty of threads on this forum for that and I think you should start at verifying connectors, solder joints, and wiring associated with the power supply. The ROMs can be of no use if they can't be run in the first place. There is also a 12V supply coming into the MPU board. Check TP1 for that. It's unregulated so it could be higher than 12V.

Once you have consistent and reliable power then you can try running the LEDs test again. If it still doesnt run properly then take a second look at the reset circuit.

Secondly, the picture of the ROM dump you gave seems a little odd to me (incorrect/missing bytes perhaps?). I could be wrong, but to be sure load the original .bin file and look at it with the same viewer to see if it looks exactly the same. If so you're good to go.

I'll be releasing an updated version of ROMs in the next day or two but the ones you're using now are okay to use.

#91 5 years ago

Hi everyone, I've released a new version of pincoder ROMs that include support for System 7. I've also shortened the website URL.

Please head over to http://pincoder.ca and take a look. Your feedback is appreciated!

Thanks!

#93 5 years ago
Quoted from hailrazer:

Your site is not responding. Is it down?

It's up.. try again?

Also, note the URL change. It was http://pincoder.reversion.ca and now its http://pincoder.ca both should work, though the former will go away in a few months..

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from CanadianPinball:

You remind me of "Lindsey" and funny enough, he was from Alberta too!

Oh? Who's Lindsey?

#97 5 years ago

Cool! I'll check it out. Thanks!

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Protip is that ROMs are ROMs, not BINs. Rewrote the chip as a rom and it passes test 1 with flying colors. Now the chips are all in the uv bath so I can rewrite the rest.

Interesting. What software and hardware are you using to program the chips? Typically BIN implies a straight copy and not some sort of translation. Did you have to rename the files to .rom or anything?

#103 5 years ago

Nice. Glad you figured it out. Have you gone through all the ROMs yet? It would be great if you could send me some feedback on your experience with the whole process of using them, and your thoughts on the documentation files.. do they make sense etc. Its always good to get a fresh set of eyes on things. Any comments you or anyone else has on using them is certainly appreciated and will help make them easier to use.

#105 5 years ago

Sure, a PM would be great! Glad you find the ROMs useful. I had fun writing them!

#106 5 years ago

Just ran a small update.. edits to documentation.. new version is 2019.04.07.1941

4 weeks later
#112 4 years ago

Thanks for the detailed information and positive feedback!

Before I can give you any detailed answers I'll need to know which game and system board are you running this on, and which schematics you are looking at.

To get you started in the right direction, the blanking signal should be showing up on PIA1 (PIA at address 2800) pin PA2 and waits for 3 clock cycles before toggling the pin.

#115 4 years ago
Quoted from Nusilor:

Just started making a diy selectable rom board, hopefully will finish tomorrow, off to bed for now.
Them 28c16 were never able to be programed on my 866ii plus. Received a 28c256 and worked first go
[quoted image]

Sweet! Let us know how it turns out!

#119 4 years ago

Actually the 2K-adapter.bin requires a 64K chip (32 chunks of 2K) and the 4K-adapter.bin requires a 128K chip (32 chunks of 4K).

Since you are using a 32K chip you will only get the first half of the 2K-adapter.bin image loaded onto it, or the first 1/4 of the 4K-adapter.bin image.

Of course, you can selectively pack your own image file using a concatenation of the single .bin files you want to use. Then Just write that file to your chip. If you don't end up filling all of the chunks just fill them with FFs.

Let me know if you need help creating your own file

#122 4 years ago
Quoted from Nusilor:

No i only have a 4 pos dip. 16 combinatons. I have a 28c256 that will get broken in to 16k chunks 256k÷16=16k
Would need a 5 pos dip for 32, but i only have a 4 pin.
Also whats the method to this madness
How do i figure out what selects what chunk
I think i should be fine making the file. Will i be fine putting in about 1-2k in, cant imagine it would select bang on every 16k. What im saying is will it read if there is a blank at the start.

The 28C256 is a 256k *bit* chip so you have to divide by 8 which gives you 32768 addresses of 8 bits each. Dividing 32K into 16 chunks means each chunk is 2K. You will have room on that chip for 16 images.

The numbers you listed (although not sorted) are binary 0-15 and would correspond to which 2K chunk you want to address in the chip. Depending on how you wire the DIP switches to the chip of course.

The purpose of the board you are making is to trick the MPU into thinking there is a single 2716/2816 chip in the socket you are plugging into. Setting the DIP switches means it will show a different 2K portion of the bigger chip to the MPU board. The MPU board will only ever be able to see one portion/chunk at a time.

So, any of the 2K chunks can contain nothing. But, if you select that chunk and turn on the game, it won't have anything to boot from. Selecting a chunk that contains a valid test ROM image will cause the MPU board to run the code contained in that chunk.

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Since you have gotten these programs to work on a system 7 board, is there any reason why they won’t work on a System 9?

They might work as-is, but I doubt it. I am currently in the market for a system 9 game so that I can create a set for system 9. How quickly I'm able to adapt the existing code to system 9 depends on how much they actually changed on the board (mainly addresses, sizes, and quantities of PIAs, RAM, CMOS, etc). I believe they went into alphanumeric displays too, so I'd have to write a driver for that.

Is it okay to assume you have a sys9 game? If so, what do you think of the onboard diagnostics? If they're better than these ROMs there might not be any point to keep expanding this project.. Thoughts anyone?

#126 4 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Right now I am dealing with a dead system 9 Sorcerer. I think I may have a reset issue on the board. The onboard diagnostics work ok, unless you are like me and have a locked up board.
I don't think there was a whole lot of difference between the system 7 setup and the system 9 boards in terms of the PIA interface (both use 3). I think the biggest difference is in the memory size, CMOS, and obviously the sound section. However, if you get it to work with system 9, it will also work on System 11. You can actually use a System 11 board in a System 9 game in a pinch.

That's good to know thank you. Does an 11 board require any jumper changes to run a 9 game?

#127 4 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

That's good to know thank you. Does an 11 board require any jumper changes to run a 9 game?

I'll take a look at the schematics for 9 and see about making a set of ROMs.

#129 4 years ago
Quoted from Nusilor:

ill do some reading on address lines. This seems to be the config,
dip 4 a11
dip 3 a12
dip 2 a13
dip 1 we
5v a14

Not quite..

The image I've attached is from a system 6 schematic showing the pinout of the IC17 socket. Pin 21 (WE) is tied to ground and pin 20 (CS1) is used to select the chip.

So:

- Pin 20 from the IC17 socket should be connected to the output enable of whatever chip you decide to use.

- You then tie A0 through A10 to the new chip.

- A11 and up on the new chip should each be tied to a DIP switch. A11 to rightmost DIP, A12 to the left of that.. until you have no more address lines to connect on the new chip. If you have more address lines than DIP switches you CAN tie them to ground, but that would be a waste. Get more DIP switches.

- 5V pin on the new chip should be connected to pin 24 on the IC17 socket. Ground to connected to pin 12 on the IC17 socket.

- Data lines are straight forward and connect one for one.

Hope that clears things up
2816-MPU (resized).png2816-MPU (resized).png

#132 4 years ago
Quoted from Nusilor:

sweet. it actually reads in my rom burner.

Nice going!

#136 4 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Crap, I made a board based on the original picture. Haven't tried it yet. So you're saying I need to re-wire it based on your corrections?

I have no idea myself, on either board as I didn't create them and not all of the information is available based on the pictures.

But, if you follow the design outline I gave in my previous message, you ought to be able to make a board with any chip size from 4k to 64k bytes. Nusilor can you post any other connection details I missed? Ie the tie up/down resistors and what to do with the extra chip selects of the new chip, if any?

If I get some time down the road I'll write a how to and provide a 64k board sample. I may even build a batch and put them up for sale, preloaded with the adapter image..

Oh and thanks Nusilor for providing the details in how you did your board!

#138 4 years ago
Quoted from Nusilor:

pincoder You explained it perfect
stangbat Heres a pinout of both chips from the respective data sheets so you can picture what we are talking about, and come to your own conclusion.
As you can see if you line the pins up from the bottom, and let the top 4 pins hang out on the 256:
WE(lines up with a11) and VCC(+5v(lines up with a13) don't line up, so jumpers need to be run.
Then the address lines 11,12,13,14 need to be put on the dips for selection. weather it is pulled up(+5v(1) or down(GND(0) makes the selection
Im sure that the 512Kbit(64k) chip would be as simple as adding a15(probably) to the pull up resistor network. on another dip switch[quoted image]

I'm not certain this is quite right either. Specifically, we, or, and ce should be connected to their respective pins on the new chip.

@nusilor can you verify the board in your chip programmer as a 2716 and use the dips to select each image?

#141 4 years ago

Awesome. That's much clearer

You shouldnt have to add numbers to the ROM images though to test this part.. Each image has it's name written into the header.. Should be visible in an ascii viewer.

Thanks for clarifying and posting your work. I'm glad you got it working!

#147 4 years ago
Quoted from Nusilor:

also how do you make the socket divide in to 4k chunks

2^12=4096

Since address lines start at A0 (and not 1) you untie A11 from the DIP switches and connect it to a socket that has A11 (ie a socket for a 2732/2532 (4k) chip).

#148 4 years ago
Quoted from denoument:

I'm working on a project pin and these roms are helping out a lot. I think the blanking.txt calls out the wrong pins. Instead of "IC7 pin 6" it should be "IC7 pin 8". Instead of "IC12 Pin12" it should be "IC23 pin 12".

You are correct for system 4 boards. Thanks for pointing it out. There is a small difference in the blanking circuit between system 6 and system 4.

Here is a revised paragraph for 02-blanking.txt:

Check for pulsing signals on (in this order):

* PIA1 Pin4 - If not pulsing then replace PIA1 (oscilloscope users: pulses at 120hz)

* System 6: IC7 Pin6 - If not pulsing then replace IC7

* System 4: IC7 Pin10, Pin9, Pin8 - If not pulsing then replace IC7

* IC23 Pin12 - If not pulsing then replace Q5

Sorry about the confusion. The paragraph has been updated for the next release.

#150 4 years ago
Quoted from Nusilor:

So if i put a 4k chip in a system 6. its only going to be using
the last 2k since it runs a11 to to 5v. pin 23. Which is the same
as fliping a dip 1

Correct. But for a 2732 it's pin 21 not 23. Here's the pinouts for 2716 (2K) and up:
CERDIP-PINS (resized).pngCERDIP-PINS (resized).png

Note that Pin numbers change for 2764 and up, since they have more pins..

#159 4 years ago
Quoted from Nusilor:

Sorry was just looking at the data sheet for a 27c1024. they are 16x64kbit 16 address pins(including a0). So will only break down in to 8K(64kbit)chunks. That is in a 4k slot. I believe it will break down in to 32 in a 2k

In choosing a chip, you should stick to 8 bit chips (Chips with D0-D7) as using higher width chips such as 16 bit chips (D0-D15) will be wasteful, in terms of usable storage. Remember, this era of pinball machines are only 8 bits wide and so the excess data pins on the wider chip will go unused.

You also need to think about timing/response time and handshaking signals of the chip you choose. They must match the 2716 and 2732 chip specification and be at least as fast as that.

No matter the size of the chip, they will always break down into 2K chunks using A0-A10. 4K chunks would need A0-A11. 8K chunks A0-A12, etc. Any extra address lines on the chip you choose should each be routed (in order) to a DIP switch.

The bigger the chip, the more chunks you get. System 7 boards (in system 7 mode) need 4K chunks. A system 7 board in system 6 or earlier mode will need 2K chunks. System 6,4,3 also need 2K chunks.

For those that don't quite know how to decide, I'm likely going with an SST39SF040 (512k x 8 bits) when I do start putting some pre-programmed adapter boards up for sale. In the mean time, if you decide on a different chip that works please feel free to chime in, and post your design for others if you like.

SST39SF0x0 (resized).pngSST39SF0x0 (resized).png

Here's where you can get the 39SF040 from digikey (digikey part# SST39SF040-70-4C-PHE-ND) in Canada:

https://www.digikey.ca/products/en/integrated-circuits-ics/memory/774?k=sst39sf040&k=&pkeyword=sst39sf040&sv=0&pv1291=3756&sf=0&FV=ffe00306&quantity=&ColumnSort=0&page=1&pageSize=25

Don't forget to use a chip that your chip programmer supports, and use a socket on your adapter board - you'll need to quickly remove the chip to program it with newer versions of ROMs HINT: Make your life easy and use a ZIF socket!

1 month later
#168 4 years ago

Actually, you can also go by the upside-down-and-backward-F that is showing on the 7 segment display. Not sure what that character is supposed to be, but if your board is flashing that character it also means a pass. Thanks for posting that video @cheddar. Are you able to post a video or picture of what the 7 segment looks like when a fail is indicated? I don't have my system 7 machine anymore.. if you have a socketed RAM or CMOS chip you could pull it out and run the test to get the failure.

1 week later
#174 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Hey guys, I have a results question. With 2 sets of verified roms (barracora) I get the following results:
Boots to 0, goes out, 8 shows on the LED, then 0 stays on
Press the diagnostic and I get a 5
The displays do not come on.
After doing the CMOS Test I did the CMOS init. Could the 8 be not having a battery pack attached?
I have tested the CMOS ram several times with the pincoder test and it passes every time.
Is the next step to replace the 5101 ram?

The init-cmos ROM has only ever been verified to run on Gorgar and Black Knight. It's possible that other games have slightly different settings and slamming Gorgar settings into another sys3-6 game or slamming Black Knight settings into another sys 7 is technically invalid. This could be causing the 8 to flash.

So for you I'd say run the clear-cmos and then boot the game normally and see if it's happy. Since the CMOS test ROM runs fine you don't need a new CMOS (5101) chip.

On another note, in order for the init_cmos ROM to work on a different game I'd need someone to send the me default settings for that game. To do this you would run the clear_cmos ROM, then the Williams ROM twice with the door open. Once the game is in attract mode the CMOS chip would contain the actual default values for that game. From there you would power down (with batteries installed) and then run the edit_cmos ROM.

Once the edit_cmos ROM is running you would step through all of the addresses in the CMOS chip and look at the value stored in that address. If it's non-zero write the address and value down and move on to the next address.

When writing them down I specify them in sets of two. This is because they are actually 4 bit values and so the GAME ROMs need two addresses to store a single 8-bit value).

So for example, here is what the sys7 init_cmos ROM uses to initialize the CMOS chip (remember, these values are taken from Black Knight):

ENT_103 .db 2,0
ENT_125 .db 11,2
ENT_127 .db 10,5
ENT_129 .db 2,5 ; Default 2,5 # HSTD (2,500,000)
ENT_131 .db 1,1 ; Default 1,0 # replay 1 (1,100,000) - setting 14 in Williams ROM
ENT_133 .db 2,2 ; Default 2,0 # replay 2 (2,200,000) - setting 15 in Williams ROM
ENT_135 .db 3,3 ; Default 0,0 # replay 3 (3,300,000) - setting 16 in Williams ROM
ENT_137 .db 4,4 ; Default 0,0 # replay 4 (4,400,000) - setting 16 in Williams ROM
ENT_145 .db 0,3
ENT_147 .db 0,5
ENT_149 .db 0,5
ENT_151 .db 0,0
ENT_153 .db 0,3
ENT_155 .db 3,0
ENT_157 .db 0,1
ENT_163 .db 0,1
ENT_165 .db 0,1
ENT_167 .db 0,3
ENT_169 .db 0,4
ENT_171 .db 0,0 ; Default 3,0 # MAX_CREDITS (00) - setting 18 in Williams ROM
ENT_173 .db 0,1
ENT_175 .db 0,1
ENT_177 .db 0,4
ENT_179 .db 0,1
ENT_181 .db 0,2
ENT_183 .db 0,4

This basically says:

- Addresses 0 thru 102 are zero.
- Addresses 103 and 104 have a value of 2 and 0 respectively.
- Addresses 125 and 126 have a value of 11 and 2 respectively.
- Addresses 183 and 184 have a value of 0 and 4 respectively.
- Addresses 185 and up are zero.

FORMAT: The values after the .db are the values that init-cmos writes to the CMOS chip. When I've changed them to a non-default value I include a comment and state the default value. So for example to place the game into free-play mode I set a new default value for MAX_CREDITS by setting 171 and 172 from 3 and 0 (thirty) to 0 and 0 (zero).

If anyone wants to take the time to do this for their game and send me the results I'd be happy to make an init-CMOS ROM specifically for that game. Don't worry about having to decipher what the values in each address means just send me the numbers and I'll make the ROM stick to the defaults. If you want to take the time to verify what each address is used for (like I did for 129-138 and 171-172) that would be a bonus! (edit the value and reboot into the GAME to look for a change in behavior). Alternatively you could write the default numbers down then boot into the game, change one of the settings or insert a coin, power down, run the edit_cmos again and take note of the changes.

EDIT: The only difference between the init_cmos ROM and the clear_cmos ROM is that:

- clear_cmos sets ALL the values in the CMOS chip to zero (causing the Williams ROM to set its default values on the first boot)

while:

- init_cmos does that too and then sets some non-zero values (effectively setting defaults so you dont have to boot the game with the door open twice).

Let me know if you need more clarification

#176 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

I ran the clear cmos rom and still get the same result.
I've put it aside while I do more research. I am working on another sys7 (I have 2 that don't work) board that boots just fine except it doesn't start the attract mode. I can enter diagnostics so clearly it's running. I can execute the tests. Still looking into this one too.

Interesting. Keep me posted.

#179 4 years ago
Quoted from SYS6:

Another way to check for the same default cmos values to just read the manuals and compare values for each of the setting numbers. A quick look over a few games eg say comparing Gorgar and Firepower shows they are quite different in the game specific ones, say from location #30 onwards.
edit: Thinking about this, unless I'm missing something, I don't get how this can be practical as each cmos setting file must be different for each game as the first setting is the game ID. Isn't it easier to use the clear cmos test then boot to the game to reload defaults for the game you have or use the edit_cmos routine.

Yes, each game would end up storing "who knows what" values in the CMOS so you can't go strictly by the settings in the manuals. Those are limited to what they want you to see and/or modify. So you are right, the sure-fire way to go back to playing a non-gorgar/blackknight game is to use clear_cmos and let the first boot of the Williams ROMs write what it needs to the CMOS and be done with it.

The init_cmos essentially restores the entire contents of the CMOS to what Gorgar or Black Knight would have written on a first boot. What it's handy for (if you happen to have a Gorgar or Black Knight) is that using it instead of clear_cmos allows you to skip the first boot and instantly set your game up with defaults. the init_cmos.txt file shows what defaults are changed from williams defaults.

Really, init_cmos is more of a personal-use kind of ROM for me. It saves a lot of time when I'm modifying and testing a ROM image a few hundred times before releasing it.

The idea of having one for each game out there might prove to be useful for others. Not having to go back and set free-play mode could be every time could be one of them..

1 week later
#181 4 years ago

First of all, that's a nice board you made! Nice and clean..

Secondly, that's extremely weird behaviour! (but you already knew that).

IC34 is responsible for choosing how to arrange the segments given the input from IC33, which then traces back to PIA1. Oddly, it chooses the numbers 'backwards' from the input. Basically:

PIA1 = SEGMENT DISPLAY
-----------------------------
F = 0
E = 1
D = 2
C = 3
B = 4
A = 5
9 = 6
8 = 7
7 = 8
6 = 9

So the test ROM actually counts backwards from F to 6 on PIA1 in order to display 0 to 9. Anything below 6 on PIA1 causes the segment display to show other predefined characters not used by Williams (search for the PDF of IC34 for details). In your case it appears that the mapping in IC34 is not actually backwards like the test ROM expects it to be, which is why it appears to count down instead of up, and also includes the other predefined characters.

Perhaps your board has a different IC34 chip than what I had in my black knight when I wrote that ROM. ie: maybe at some point Williams did a hardware revision change and made up for it in software.. Can you tell me what your IC34 chip is? Mine was a DM7447.

This part of the circuitry on the board has *almost* nothing to do with the rest of the board. The fact that it is counting backwards on the display doesn't worry me too much, but what are the other symptoms of the board?

Try the rest of the ROMs and see what you get.. You may have to pull a good RAM or CMOS chip and run the respective test to prove whether "top led" and "bottom led" are really the top and bottom LEDs (bottom LED is the one that flashes when the chip is pulled, forcing a failed result).

#186 4 years ago
Quoted from dextrose42:

This board had a bad address driver (bottom right corner, N8T97N) and apparently there was an issue with the socket. I reflowed the socket and it appears to be working now.
Thank you for providing the test roms.

Awesome, nice work! Glad the ROMs were of use to you

#187 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

2 posts in 1:
1. pincoder thanks for making these ROMs. When you announced them I couldn't understand why anyone would want to burn so many ROMs. Now that I have used them to fix a board set I completely understand. The ability to jump to a specific rom and diagnose a specific issue was perfect!
2. I had a particular problem to solve. I have 3 sys 7 machines, 1 working board set, 3 non-working system 7 sets and a RD mpu327. The RD allowed me to get Barracora up and running but left my time fantasy and my buddies laser cue down until I could get another working set.
Things I learned:
1. Don't even try without a known working driver board
2. ROMs may burn and verify but that's not a guarantee. When in doubt try another. The PC test ROMs were invaluable here
3. Verify the jumpers on the board. 3 system 7 boards, 3 different jumper configs!
4. I'd still like to find a theory of operations for this board. The 1 thing I was certain of on all these boards is they were resetting correctly. It difficult to know what to expect between reset and attract.
Whew that was a lot. I have 2 more boards to fix. I'm going to make some videos of the test ROMs in use to share as thanks.

Thanks for sharing all of your valuable feedback. I'm glad you made good progress too! It's not always easy from here to help troubleshoot so posting your results helps me too.

Can't wait to see the videos you make, that's awesome thank you!

#189 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Here is the first set of short videos. I have a couple missing I need to redo and then another half dozen I haven't done because I didn't need those roms for my last board. I'll work on adding those to the playlist as I make them.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtGB2hX0oWQT_eIL4mvQg1mNrVZWnpJz5
also I have a clamp on camera mount coming that should remove the shakycam

Cool. You're not so Shakey by my standards. When I shoot videos they look like outtakes from Blair Witch!

Thanks for adding them!

1 month later
#190 4 years ago

BETA RELEASE:

I finally got my hands on a working Hyperball set so I'll be working on updating the ROM set to support it over the next while..

I did just put out a new beta version of ROMS available here: http://pincoder.ca/ccn/roms/pincoder_roms_2019.08.28.2031_beta.zip

A few small tweaks, and added a second sounds test. This test doesn't require the use of switches so you can also run it on the bench. Essentially it does the same thing as the first sounds test ROM but sends the sounds out automatically a few moments after boot up.

Cheers!

1 month later
#191 4 years ago

Another Beta release: http://pincoder.ca/ccn/roms/pincoder_roms_2019.10.03.1703_beta.zip

Rewrote the documentation for "01b-bus" adding more about troubleshooting power and the reset circuit. The ROM remains the same.

1 week later
#193 4 years ago
Quoted from kevinclark:

pincoder The docs on 01b-bus look very clear now. I'm curious about the voltage you say you expect though. I'm seeing ~4.8V on the 5V terminal on my PSU breakout board without it connected to anything. If I measure the voltage against the alligator clips on the IJ2 ground pin and 5v I'm seeing 4.1V. Board seems to boot ok, but I'm wondering where the 0.7V are going. Possible that's just crappy wires, or should I suspect something else?

Is that when the clips are connected to 1J2 or floating? At 4.1v it may boot but once it starts using all of the circuitry on the board that voltage may drop below an acceptable level.

For what it's worth, the values below are from using an actual power supply from a williams pinball machine on the bench (transformer, power supply board, rectifiers, the whole lot).

While floating (1J2 disconnected, 3J6 disconnected) I'm seeing:
5.19 volts across the 5V and GND pins of 3J6

After reconnecting 3J6 I'm seeing:
5.10 volts across the 5V and GND wires on the end of my power supply wires (cable side of 1J2).

While 1J2 and 3J6 are connected, I also see 5.1 volts across each of:
TP9 and TP10 of MPU board
VCC1 and GND1 of IC1
VCC2 and GND2 of IC1

I'd say your wires with the alligator clips are an issue (0.7v drop seems too much). Power supply wires should be of a decent guage. If the wire is too thin it will not be able to carry the required current draw from the circuit boards. This can also cause the board to malfunction.

#194 4 years ago
Quoted from kevinclark:

pincoder The docs on 01b-bus look very clear now. I'm curious about the voltage you say you expect though. I'm seeing ~4.8V on the 5V terminal on my PSU breakout board without it connected to anything. If I measure the voltage against the alligator clips on the IJ2 ground pin and 5v I'm seeing 4.1V. Board seems to boot ok, but I'm wondering where the 0.7V are going. Possible that's just crappy wires, or should I suspect something else?

You shouldn't see a voltage drop of more than 0.01 volts anywhere you look on the 5v rail. Disconnect the alligator clip and see if the drop is on that wire.

1 month later
#200 4 years ago
Quoted from beaver:

Not sure I understand but the 27512 will allow 32 “slots”. Which one the cpu sees is selected by the DIP Switches. Pincoder’s latest combined ROM image fits exactly in the 27512.

You understand perfectly Glad you found them!

#201 4 years ago

FYI:

I'm in the process of making a device that won't require the use of any ROMs at all.. so you won't need a chip programmer either. It will also support running 3rd party ROMs too, including the original game ROM so you can leave it in the machine if you so desire. It's still not ready to be manufactured but the prototype works like a charm!

At the moment it will support the Williams 3-7 games, but it should be compatible in the future with other games as well. More details as they surface

#203 4 years ago
Quoted from beaver:

My blog on my implementation in case it helps someone to build their own./>

Thanks @beaver !

#206 4 years ago
Quoted from beaver:

I am having some difficulty with the blanking test (Test 02). With the standard ROMs I get a period of ~8msec on the output of IC7. But with the pincoder ROMs I get a 50 usec period. This faster rate prevents the blanking timer circuit from detecting the pulses. Anyone have this?

Interesting. I just tested my system 6 board and get 8.36ms on the 02-blanking test, and almost exactly that with the GREEN ROM.. What game/board are you troubleshooting?

For what it's worth, the blanking test does nothing but loop until it's time to toggle the input pin (pin 5) of IC7. then it uses an EORA to invert the correct bit in the PIA1_A register.

If your clock speed checks out then it is peculiar that the bit in the PIA register would show signs of toggle so much faster than the CPU even asks.. I can't say I've ever seen that before. Please let me know what you find

#207 4 years ago
Quoted from SYS6:

Thanks for making this software available pincoder
I used a W27C010 (128k x 8 ) for the Sys7 version, similar construction technique to above.

Nice to see a variation on the chip used, and that you have made a board that splits things by 4K chunks

#211 4 years ago

My system 6 is giving me 3.2hz on the LED's test.

The sys346 02-blanking ROM in the latest beta download (pincoder_roms_2019.10.29.1803_beta) can be modified at the locations shown in blue.. Currently the value is 01D0 (msb to lsb) and the value is simply a 16 bit "sleep" counter number used in the X register for creating a simple delay. At this stage of the test ROMS I don't want to rely on the external interrupt for calculating a proper delay as it requires the proper functioning of additional circuitry (the IRQ circuitry), which gets tested in later ROMs anyway.

So I will focus on getting a suitable counter value for system3-4. However, I don't have any 3-4 boards to test with.

On a system 6 board counting down to zero from 01D0 (hexadecimal) yeilds a toggle period of 8.3ms on IC7 pin 5. This is what the system 6 Williams ROMs are also refreshing at.

@beaver, if you have time would you mind playing around with the counter value in the beta image to see where it best matches the 8.3ms on the system 3 board? I will then test that number on my system 6 and see if it's still within reason. I may have to create a different binary for systems 3-4.

Thanks
02-blanking (resized).png02-blanking (resized).png

1 week later
#214 4 years ago

I should have thought of this sooner, but thanks to some digging by beaver I remembered that the 02-blanking test in the current release version (2019.04.07.1941) does not have a delay built in for the blanking signal refresh. Apparently this causes system 3-4 boards to show incorrect results when running this ROM.

The latest beta download (2019.10.29.1803_beta) does have the correct delay loop, and therefore correct results with the 02-blanking on a system 3-4 board.

Sorry for the confusion folks!

#215 4 years ago

Merry Christmas everyone. Hope you all had a good one!

Check out the latest release version of pincoder ROMs: http://pincoder.ca/ccn/roms/pincoder_roms_2019.12.26.2048.zip

Changes since the previous release:

* Slowed pulse rate (PIA1 Pin 4 - PA2) on 02-blanking from 2500Hz down to 120Hz to match williams ROMs refresh rate.

* Eliminated ghosting from neighboring segments on displays.

* Added 11b-sounds test to allow sound card testing on the bench.

* Modified 10-solenoids to also fire a solenoid using the DIP_01 switch together with the COMMAND ENTER button on the MPU board. Some games do not have a HIGH SCORE RESET button.

* Temporarily removed sys7/2K images.

* Rewrote the documentation for "01b-bus". The ROM itself remains unchanged.

Enjoy!

1 month later
#217 4 years ago

Excellent research! This ROM has been driving me a little nuts as I don't have any system 3 or 4 machines to test with.

According to beaver the latest ROMs (2019.12.26.2048) work in his system 3, but I've also had someone tell me that the same version didn't work in theirs.

I would very much like a copy of your sim files. Thank you. I'd like to come up with a ROM that will work for all of them as it would be disheartening to have to split the sys346 set out into their own binaries.

So yes please send me anything you think I will need to do some testing. I'll post an updated version as soon as I come up with something. It sounds like it'll be just a matter of changing the length of low side of the cycle but I'll need something that works with or without the voltage divider and still resembles the output of the Williams ROMs.

Thanks again for the good work and the detailed update! I'm looking forward to running some spice tests!

Oh and you're right, the blanking test isn't supposed to depend on RAM. I'll look into that. In the mean time please let me know how the 2019.12.26.2048 version works for you. I'm glad these ROMs helped you

1 month later
#221 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

I want to thank pincoder for these test ROMs. And also CFH and others for countless resources over the years getting me to this point in my repair abilities.

Awesome! Nice Going! and thanks for letting me know they helped you! Did you also run through the rest of the tests? You might find switch problems, etc that could improve the game play (if it's unnoticably lacking).

Swapping the CPU's may have been enough to point a fault at the socket as well. You could always go back to the old chip and see if there's any change. At any rate, swapping the socket wouldn't be a bad idea, especially if you happen to have a proper heat gun to pull the old one out. If not you can always pull it using the old fashioned way

#224 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

I did not run more than the 01a and 01b tests. I got too excited with the success of the borrowed CPU chip. I did try the suspect AMI chip in the Cosmic Gunfight and it failed to boot there as well. So I'm thinking my sockets are OK at least for now.
I did read through all the tests and may try them in the future - cool stuff. I am intrigued by the display test's easter egg and was amused with your names for all of the different sounds! "Alien Evaporation" is my favorite, lol. Reminds me of a friend whose summer job was coming up with names for different house paint colors. They declined to adopt her suggestion of Charlie Brown, lol.
Thanks again.

Glad they helped you and I'm always looking for feedback so its good to hear good things I've always wondered if those names actually resembled the same thing to everyone else. It's too bad about your friend.. he could have made them millions had they followed his advice!

1 month later
#230 3 years ago
Quoted from MeEtc:

Perfect, thanks. So then for slot 0, are all switches on to ground, or left off to 5v?

Depends on whether you are tying them high or low using the resistors. I like to tie them low, and when a switch is closed, it goes high. This allows for setting the bank to the natural binary value.. ie. slot 0 is with all switches open (0000), and slot 15 is with the 4 least significant switches closed(1111).

#232 3 years ago

I would double check the 8t28 jumpers, and also remove and jumper the other 8t28.

LEDs come on by default on a board that has no code to boot. They only go out once the code initializes PIA1.

Address zero is located either on CPU1 itself, or IC13 depending on what CPU chip you are using, and whether it is jumpered properly for the CPU you are using. See documentation for 04-ram-IC13 for more info..

While running 01b-bus, if you are seeing activity on the address and/or data bus lines continually, I suspect the CPU is continually rebooting. This is usually caused by a faulty reset circuit. Verify the reset signal as per the instructions in 01b-bus.

At this point, I don't think the transceivers test will do you any good since you are removing them. The test is meant to verify the input and output lines of the transceivers: Data out should equal data in.

2 weeks later
#234 3 years ago

The images for the test ROMs can be downloaded for free:

http://pincoder.ca

The images for the games ROMs can be found here:

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/tech/roms.html

As the physical ROMs are not produced any more you will have to search the net. Ebay typically always has some, but they're not reliable ads - many are scams.

Another option is to order an interface board that uses a newer and bigger chip (that is still in production) and will allow you to use a programmer to write multiple images to the chip. You can order one here:

https://dirtypcbs.com/store/pcbs/buy/107605/2716to27256-bank-switch-zip

You can also contact @thewiz. He had some boards made up and may have some for sale.

I am currently working on a board that doesnt require a programmer or any chips, but it is not yet in production.

Hope this helps.

#236 3 years ago

It was designed by @barakandl. He may have the actual BOM for that. Keep in mind that this board was designed a while back and the number of ROMs has since increased so it isn't big enough to hold all of the latest test ROMs. You might want to order two or even three of the 27256 chips and use a ZIF socket instead of a regular socket.

This problem is obviously going to come up again before my board is ready, so I'll make a bigger version of @barakandl's board this week and make it available as a short term and least expensive option.

I'll keep you posted

1 month later
#237 3 years ago

Hi everyone!

I've got an intermediate adapter board (the "Pincoder Adapter") available now that comes preloaded with these test ROMs. It isn't the "Pincoder Controller" I've been working hard to bring to market, but it is an intermediate solution that still gives you all of the Pincoder ROMs preprogrammed into a single adapter that supports 2K and 4K ROMs simultaneously AND it is available today!

It's especially great for those of you without a chip programmer and chips because it eliminates the need for those items so you can start troubleshooting right away!

For those of you WITH a programmer there's plenty of space for third party ROM images like the Andre and Leon test ROMs.

You can find all about the Pincoder Adapter on this page:

https://pincoder.ca/index.php/2020/07/10/adapter-2020-06-23-0506

I've also created another pinside thread for questions and answers related to the board itself:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pincoder-adapter#post-5743793

Thanks for helping me support the preservation of your classic pinball machines!

#239 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Did you post this on facebook as well? If so I had brought up that people may want o plug this into a spare dual leaf socket first so that the machine pins don't stretch out the pins in the sockets in the board you're trying to repair. It is an easy work around and the machine pins are definitely right for your test module.
It is just something I've run into ni the past and wanted to mention it here too.

Yes I've cross posted to a few Facebook groups. Thanks for taking the time to add your same comments here. As I also mentioned there I have not seen any socket stretching as such this far, but you do make a good point

If I have some spare sockets available I'll include them with the board. They might not be dual leaf, but they'll work.

#241 3 years ago

Good News! Online purchase of the Pincoder Adapter is now available everywhere (click and scroll down to "HOW TO GET ONE" here):

(I'll also post this at the top of this thread)

Thanks again for your support!

4 months later
#242 3 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've published a beta version of the latest pincoder ROMs:

https://pincoder.ca/ccn/roms/pincoder_roms_2020.12.04.1236_beta.zip

In it, the 09-lamps test has been given an added "delay" feature that may help in troubleshooting strange behavior with bulbs in the lamp matrix. As it clearly states in the 09-lamps.txt file, USE WITH CAUTION. This is because the test gives you the power to hold constant power to a column of bulbs for longer than intended in the original design of the Williams hardware and software.

Everything you need to know about the delay feature is documented in the 09-lamps.txt file.

Because this is a beta release, future orders of the Pincoder Adapter will be shipped with the current Release version installed (2020.06.23.0506) unless you specifically ask for this beta version by messaging me (@pincoder) before you order. For those who already have the adapter and would like an updated EEPROM chip sent to them you can also message me and I will ship you one for $10 CAD plus shipping.

If you have a chip programmer that can write an ST39SF040 chip you will find the updated adapter image (pincoder_adapter.bin) and the updated DIP settings file (pincoder_adapter.txt) in the beta download. Since this is only a change in content, and not a change in the number or order of tests included on the chip, the DIP settings on the adapter remain the same as the Release version already installed on the adapter.

As always, your feedback is welcome. I am not certain how useful this feature is as I have no suspect hardware to test it against. However, it would be nice to know how this test works out in the field

#243 3 years ago

Also, created a poll at the top of this thread if you wouldn't mind ticking a few boxes Thanks!

#245 3 years ago
Quoted from idealjoker:

I have used your test ROMs only once, when one of my games did not boot any more after some late night board "work". I do not remember which of your ROMs was the key to finding my problem (a solder bridge on a connector), so I cannot fill in the poll. What I can say is that i) the ROMs are easy to use; I particularly appreciate the careful documentation, ii) they saved me a chunk of time, and iii) I neglected to show my appreciation with a Paypal donation. I have now rectified that problem.

Awesome! Thank you for your donation, and taking some time to give your feedback I appreciate it!

1 month later
#247 3 years ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

So I finally got a chance to put this adapter to use in my Tri Zone. First off its awesome! Game seems to pass all the test up to test 6 Switches. The expected result is 00 in the match credit but it sometimes starts at 00 then goes to like 64 and starts to count down to like 40 and stops. The other displays have a bunch of numbers in them. I am assuming that this means it is not passing the test. I have the MPU and Driver in the game right now. When I unplug 2j2 and 2j3 from the driver you would think this would cause it to 00 irregardless but it does the same thing. Other thing I notice is if I let the game run the test for a few minutes it seems to lock up?? Normal? I flip game off and back on and seems fine again. Maybe issue with game is related....???

First off, I'm glad to hear the adapter is found to be useful! Thanks for the feedback!

It sounds exactly like you have issues with IC15, 16, 17, 18, and possibly IC11 (though I'm betting its somewhere in those first four). With 06-switches running, 2J2 and 2J3 disconnected you should get 00 in the match display and nothing anywhere else. Take a look at the numbers on the displays and map them to the switch matrix chart in your manual. See if any one entire row or column is shown. Chances are you'll see more than one row or column that will turn up. These rows and columns refer to the pins on 2J2 and 2J3.

The last section in 06-switches.txt ("ABOUT THE MATRIX SWITCHES (and PIA2)" will walk you through tracing signals so you can verify which ones actually need to be replaced, but in my experience IC15 and IC16 fail before IC16 and IC17 ever do. For the price, it's worth replacing all four anyway. Don't forget to install sockets first, it makes life easier.

Sometimes, when IC15 and IC16 fail they cause damage to the pins on IC11. If you replace IC15 through IC18 and the test still fails, you should replace IC11.

As for the lockup issue, that's a bit odd at this stage in the tests.. It may indicate a bad IC11 (or some other chip on the address/data bus), but the tests should continue to run even with a totally dead IC11. If you can properly remove IC11 without damaging it, you could try running the test with IC11 removed. In this case you should get "64" in the match display and numbers from 01 to 12 in all of the player displays - and it should still run forever.

Do any of the other tests crash if left to run for extended periods? You could try 01a-leds and see if the blink-rate ever "stutters".

#249 3 years ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

Yes!!! This is super useful! Testing these Williams games without this is a fools errand.

Can I quote you on that? That's an excellent statement, thank you.

The IC numbers I'm referring to are on the driver board. IC17 on the driver board is a 7406.

You don't need a working driver board for these tests.. that's what the tests are designed for.. However, some people have had driver boards that lock up the MPU board. When that happens you can still run MPU board tests with the driver board disconnected, and then reconnect as you go down the list of tests.

Yes, please post some pics of the numbers. At first glance they look seemingly random, but are in fact sequences of two digit numbers starting from the left side of P1 working to the right.. to the right side of P4. if you look at them you will see they are actually sorted from lowest to highest. Each two digit number corresponds to the switch number in the switch matrix. Numbers higher than 64 refer to switches outside the matrix. Those numbers are assigned by me and relate to other switches, like the DIP switches on the MPU board for example.

When the Pincoder Controller comes out, you won't have to run back and forth to your PC to look at the documentation, so hang in there

As for system hangs, disconnect the driver board and run the displays test again to see if it hangs. If so, perhaps you also have a power problem. Check rectifiers and caps etc with respect to the power supply. It's worth mentionting here too that cold solder joints can also be a culprit here, as can the 40 pin connector so if you haven't already, check for both.

If it doesn't hang with the driver board removed then you likely have issues with either the 40-pin connector, and/or the circuits related to the PIAs on the driver board.

#251 3 years ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

As for the controller add me to the mailing list for release! I'm interested!

Down the road I'll be sending out a call for beta testers at a discounted rate - to everyone via email who has purchased the adapter, as well as creating an announcement here. No ETA on that yet either but it is a huge priority of mine - I just need to get some quality time to work on it.

Thank you to all who have encouraged me to get the controller done, and to all who have shown your support with your adapter purchases and your donations!

JT-Pinball Thanks also for following up with your results. It helps others too!

#253 3 years ago

That's freaking awesome!! I love it when a game comes back to life! Nice work!!

I will definitely keep you posted on the beta testing

#254 3 years ago

Hi everyone, I got some new TDA2003 amplifier chips in today and thought it would be nice to include a free one with each adapter order from now until Feb 28th 2021. While supplies last of course. These are the amplifier chips used in Williams 3-7 games (and quite likely others, including other pinball manufacturers of the era).

You can find more about it here:

https://pincoder.ca/index.php/2021/02/09/free-tda2003-audio-amplifier-chip/

It never hurts to have a spare chip on hand!

If I'd had them sooner I would have included them with past orders - Sorry if you missed getting one. Orders that went out today already have the bonus amplifier chip included.

4 weeks later
#259 3 years ago

Odd, pinside didn't show this thread as having new posts! I didn't see the last four until just now. The coin door needs to be open on 6, and 7 as well. Not sure about 3 and 4, but I would imagine so.

#261 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Funny you bring this up. I am having a hard time getting into the diagnostics with white flipper roms on a 6a board (hot tip).
I can do it but the exact sequence still eludes me. Funny thing is some combination of switches and button presses on the coin door switches (3 button instead of 2) makes the machine reboot.

Could something be shorting out or incorrectly grounding when you do that?

How do the Pincoder ROMs behave when you do that? Ie LEDs test.

#262 3 years ago

Also, just a guess, but I'm assuming that since the only real difference between a 6 and a 6a is the introduction of seven digit displays, my bet is that the only difference between green and white flipper roms is the white roms have an updated display "driver".

This is also true for the Pincoder ROMs. The sys6a rom set is functionally the same, except for the display driver.

As far as the Pincoder display driver goes, it just uses a different software matrix/table to decide what order to run the strobe and bcd output.

1 week later
#264 3 years ago

Hi All,

The current version of pincoder ROMs incorrectly contains the PATT2048.bin and PATT512.bin files. There is also mention of them in the README.txt file. These files go with the 12-rom-IC** tests which were removed from the suite of tests because they require a (second) 2716 chip and a chip programmer. The biggest reason however is that if you suspect bad sockets it is much easier to just replace them than it is to test and then replace.

However, because the current version still makes reference to these files, I have had requests for these tests. While I still dont think they are worth including, you can download the latest Release version that includes the 12-rom-*.bin files. I have added an extra link in the download menu on the https://pincoder.ca website for you if you'd like to run the tests.

Here is that link as well:

https://pincoder.ca/ccn/roms/pincoder_roms_2019.12.26.2048.zip

Note that this version does NOT contain an image for use with the Pincoder Adapter so you will have to manually add it to your adapter, or write the 12-rom-IC**.bin file to a 2716 chip and place it in IC17.

PM me if you would like to see the 12-rom-* tests included again in the next pincoder release. If there are enough votes I will put them back in

1 week later
#266 3 years ago

Hi everyone, I've added a new ROM to the pincoder software and generated a new Release version:

https://pincoder.ca/ccn/roms/pincoder_roms_2021.03.31.1434.zip

Future orders of Pincoder Adapters will contain this version. If you already have an adapter you can update it with a chip programmer using the "pincoder_adapter.bin" file in this release. Adapter users without a chip programmer can PM me to order an updated EEPROM for $15 CAD plus the usual shipping.

Note that the DIP and jumper settings for the adapter have slightly changed as a result so you will need to refer to the updated "pincoder_adapter.txt" file.

Changes since the last Release version:

* Updated 09-lamps to include a DELAY feature.
* Renumbered the ROMs to accomodate the new 12-flippers ROM.

Thanks to Cheddar and troxel for pre-testing the new 12-flippers ROM! It's nice to have people willing to check my work

Happy Troubleshooting!

#268 3 years ago
Quoted from troxel:

Updated my ROM last night and created another video showing off the 12-flippers test. I really like this one! I added it the the previous playlist that Cheddar created.
pincoder thanks for all the work on this. Made fixing the MPU and driver board a breeze.

troxel and @Cheddar: Thanks for making these how to videos and managing them on YouTube.

For those looking for the entire collection, you can always find them by going to https://pincoder.ca and under the Support menu select "Community Usage Videos - YouTube".

#269 3 years ago
Quoted from perry1670:

pincoder
Question about the Documentation for 01-LED on System 7.
4) Check that PIA1 pin 39 (CA2) is high and that IC2 pin 1 is low. If not IC2 will not
light the LEDs. There is an inverter (IC7 Pins 11:high, 10:low) between these two points
that performs the signal transition here. Isn't IC 2 Pin 1 tied to the 5VDC rail through R20?
5) Check that pin 15 on IC2 is low enough to be considered a logic 0 and that SW2 is
open. Check that R19 is 4.7k and is connecting to ground on one side. I think IC 2 only has 14 pins.
I could be way off with both of those but thought i'd throw it out there. Also, still loving the ROMS man, looking forward to the new controller!

perry1670 Nice catch! - and sorry for the late reply.

There are some very subtle differences between system 7 and pre-system 7 boards, especially when it comes to the onboard LEDs. I have updated the documentation and rebuilt the zip file from yesterday.

Points 4 and 5 in the sys346 and sys6a 01a-leds.txt file now read:

4) Check that IC18 pin 39 (PIA1-CA2) is high and that IC7 pin 10 is low. If not IC2 will
not light the LEDs.

5) Check that IC2 pin 15 is low enough to be considered a logic 0 and that SW2 is
open. Check that R19 is 4.7k and is connecting to ground on one side.

The sys7 version now contains:

4) Check that IC18 pin 39 (PIA1-CA2) is high and that IC7 pin 2 is low. If not IC33 will
not light the LEDs.

5) Check that IC2 pins 1,4,10,13 is high enough to be considered a logic 1 and that SW2 is
open. Check that R20 is 1k and is connecting to +5v on one side.

I must have been asleep at the wheel that day. Thanks for pointing it out!

2 weeks later
#272 2 years ago
Quoted from daly124:

pincoder So I bought one of these pincoders, and im not sure of what you are supposed to look for when you are doing a test in a certain game, meaning once you set all the switches on your pincoder. Say you are testing one of the ICs on the board. You adjust the two jumpers and the dip switches according to the game. Once you power the game on, how do you know if the IC youre testing is good or not? Does something come up on the displays, or the MPU LEDs will light a certain way?I dont see any info on the pincoder website regarding this.

Yes, as Cheddar said, the instructions for each test are contained in the software download. You don't need to install the software onto the adapter as it's already loaded - but you do need to download it for the instructions. Just be sure to download the version that is contained on your adapter. Most adapters were shipped with 2020.06.23 and more recent adapters are being shipped with the latest version: 2021.03.31.

Both versions are available under the Download menu on:

https://pincoder.ca

2 weeks later
#274 2 years ago

If 01a-leds passes, then you should in the very least see a pulse on PIA1-4 when running 02-blanking.

It does sound like the board is not booting the 02-blanking. Are you using the Pincoder Adapter or are you burning your own chips? Does the board run the 03-cmos and 04-ram tests?

Try the 01b-bus test and see if you get the results indicated in the .txt file.

#277 2 years ago

You can also order the Pincoder Adapter and save a lot of time by not having to program chips (or order them for that matter):

Since you already have a programmer you'll be able to update the adapter easily when new versions come out.

9 months later
#279 2 years ago
Quoted from SYS6:

I have the Leon and Andre WMS test roms which I use but prefer pincoders because they have more tests, are more thorough and present better results as well as testing the whole game - thanks pincoder.
I just built an adapter for sys346 games, probably easier to just buy the one pincoder sells, but I had some spare W27C010 chips. These are 128k x 8bit wide and the pinouts align very nicely with 2716 eproms. You waste almost 3/4 of this memory space on this chip, but I had them after earlier building the sys7 adapter which uses 4k blocks. So an hour or so on the soldering iron and some vero-board has it built.
One suggestion I would make is to ensure you run the cmos clear routine before you go back to game play if you test in the game with the battery in place.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Glad you were able to make your own out of spare parts If you also have some spare DIP sockets handy I recommend placing them between your board and the MPU board so that the MPU socket doesnt get stretched (The header pins shown seem a little thick - the same as the pincoder adapter. I chose that style of connector to get more life out of the pins..

#282 2 years ago
Quoted from SYS6:

pincoder, yep I use a cheap wiper pin socket between the adapter and the game board. Much thinner pins and if you bend or break a pin just use a new socket. The machine pins in my pictures just let you solder easily to the veroboard.
Schwaggs, honestly you'd be best to buy the adapter from Pincoder - it's very neat, easy and handles all the variants. If I was on the same continent that's what I would have done. Because I built a sys7 variant - see post #204 in this thread - before the adapter was available I had spare eeprom chips.
I didn't draw up a schematic, just did it on the fly with iron hot and data sheets open! If you look at the pinouts of the 2716 and the W27c010 you'll notice there is a very convenient symmetry in some areas. I did create a document as a memory prompt guide for me for when I next have to use it. If you pm me your email address I'll happily send you this document and it will help you roll your own. But easiest to buy from pincoder.
The image I used was the one pincoder provided. It's cleverly arranged to suit his adapter for all systems, 3, 4, 6 & 7. But he also provides the individual test files so you can just use whatever operating system you are comfortable with to concatenate files into whatever suits you.

Thanks for all the great feedback @sys6! and thanks for ordering one I'll ship it out this morning

#284 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Hello pincoder, I have a bear of a problem with a Williams system 6 cpu board.
The board works in attract mode and audits and game play.... I have used different test roms.
All give a good clean ready to go analysis.
However, the minute you put the game into test mode you get the two led's flashes
and the board crashes... no past go.. no nothing.
Also manual cpu board reset dips do not work because of this crash.
I can press the diagnostic push button and get the two led's to flash.
I can see the signals with the logic probes and Oscilloscope...
I do not know if the test roms you have can help diagnose and test
this kind of problem.
Any input would be appreciated.

Could be corrupt/bad ROM images. Pull the GREEN1, GREEN2, and GAME ROM chips and compare them to the original images:

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/tech/roma583.html?rom=grgar_l1.zip&gm=Gorgar

Once you have the original images your chip programmer should be able to do the comparison for you.

Could also be the RAM chip(s) and/or the CMOS/5101 chip. The built-in diagnostic to test these chips is known to give false positives. The Pincoder ROMs will definitely help you certify them. They check every single address in the chips with multiple values to ensure there are no dead bits on any address within each chip.

As for the DIP switches.. I don't believe the Williams code for system 3-7 uses them. However, the Pincoder "06-switches" test ROM will allow you to test the DIP switches regardless.

If the RAM and CMOS chips pass the Pincoder tests and you still have issue with the diagnostic switch it might be the CPU chip itself, not handling NMI's properly. This is generally unlikely but yes, the Pincoder ROMs will certainly help you find the issue. Start with "01a-leds". Its a really good place to start because it uses the least amount of circuitry possible and if you let it run a few minutes while watching for mis-steps in the alternating of the LEDs (there should be none) then you know you have a steady system to start with.

The instructions will tell you which way to go from there. Post any questions you have here and I (or someone else on this thread) will try to help

ps: There are other ROMs in the package that will help you test the diagnostic switch and the CPU chip's ability to respond to an NMI signal (diagnostic switch press).

3 months later
#286 1 year ago

Glad to hear you prefer the Pincoder stuff

I can't say why the Leon test is failing however, if the NVRAM chip you're using passes the Pincoder CMOS test you should be good to go.

When working with NVRAM instead of the 5101 you need to run the Pincoder clear-cmos test whenever you want to go back to game mode and you have previously run pincoder tests that use the 5101/NVRAM.

So, run the clear_cmos "test" with the coin door open, then install the green2 chip as usual and boot the game with the door still open. You should get audit mode with this.

Once you see the audit mode, power off the game, wait 2 seconds, then power on the game again. You should get attract mode. Close the coin door and you are done

Edit: If you think the NVRAM chip you are using is the culprit, it may come down to the chip's response timing. The time it takes to read or write a byte of data will generally be faster than the 5101 so it should not have any problem responding in time.

The Pincoder 03-cmos test will check every single address in the chip with different values to make sure each of the 8 bits responds accordingly. I'm not familiar with how the Leon chip tests, or how thorough it is so can't answer as to why the NVRAM fails the Leon test.

1 week later
#290 1 year ago

Hi. Thank you for purchasing an adapter. As we already spoke on the phone, I'll just answer here as well so that others can see..

Because of the way the MPU board was designed, when the it is powered up the two LEDs come on automatically. The CPU has to execute a section of code to turn them off. So if they're on and stay on right from the start, it means the CPU is not shutting them off.

In the case of the 01a-LEDs test, the code simply alternates them to show activity.

If they don't alternate, then you need to find out why the code is not being executed. Possible reasons here are:

Inadequate power. You should have 5.1-5.3 volts going into the MPU board at the power connector, and at least 12v going in on the same connector.

--> 5v power runs the CPU and logic chips. Unsteady or inadequate power here will make your board fail intermittently and cause confusion generally everywhere.

--> 12v power is used for the reset circuit. Typically it's actually 18v coming in from the power supply, and that's okay. 12 is the minimum. Without this the reset circuit will prevent the CPU from booting up and the LEDs will both stay lit.

Another reason for a boot failure is because the communication from the CPU to the adapter (or installed ROM chip) is failing. For this to work the address bus and data bus lines, along with the handshaking lines must be working properly. Typical causes of failure here are transceiver chips (if installed) or other chips connected to those lines. PIA, RAM, ROM, or CMOS chips could be failing and tying down one or more of the required lines. Since the 01a-LEDs test doesn't use any of those chips except PIA1, IC17, and the CPU chip itself, you can remove the possible obstructing chips and run the LEDs test to see if it passes.

Sometimes it's bad traces on the board, cracked solder joints, bad chip sockets, or doubled up solder points (two pins soldered together where they shouldn't be).

I've also seen boards that run fine on the bench, and fail to boot when installed in the game. This can happen when the board is shorting out on the metal mounting brackets. In this case, cover the point on the mounting bracket with electrical tape and ensure nothing on the board pokes through it. The board does not need to be grounded via the mounting plate.

Of course, a board could fail to boot if the CPU chip was bad, but you have already tried another known good chip so it's not likely that.

Hope this helps, keep us posted

1 week later
#292 1 year ago

The 7 segment LED on the mpu board is wired with the two single LEDs and so you are correct that they light in unison with what happens to be showing on the segment.. and it has to do with which bits they decided to wire them to.

So, on a system 7 wired as a system 7 the independent LEDs can be ignored and you should just go by the segment display counting upward through all of the values (and you should be running the sys7 version of 01a-leds)

On a system 7 board wired as a system 6a (or earlier) you should ignore the segment display and go by the alternating LEDs (and you should be running the 01a-leds test using the sys6a or sys346 versions according to which board it is wired as.

#294 1 year ago
Quoted from SYS6:

Thanks pincoder for the explanation. I now see reading the .txt documentation files for the 01a tests there is a subtle difference in described led behaviour between systems that I hadn't noticed. I had naively assumed they would be the same; in future I'll study the docs more thoroughly Interestingly some of my sys7 boards do not have leds, just the seven segment but a few have both leds and display.
Thank you again for giving us these roms - they are very useful.

Yeah its odd how they make subtle changes to a board without updating a revision number. It would have been a nightmare for them to support to any level of accuracy.

I'm glad you're finding the ROMs useful! It's good to hear when people are using them

Also, don't worry about not noticing the small differences in the documentation.. I was going for presenting the least bit of change to a document. In fact, each test ROM has a single documentation template, and the differences for each system are all encoded in the template. When I push out a new version, the template is used programatically to generate the .txt file (and also the .bin) for each system. This way, all the tests are documented the same, save for exactly only the system depended changes. The headers and footers of each .txt file also show which system they are describing so if you've printed them all off and aren't sure, just read the headers and footers

Craig

3 weeks later
#296 1 year ago
Quoted from SYS6:

Funny thing I came across when using the Pincoder test roms on my system 3 World Cup. There is no high score reset button in the switch matrix for this game - I don't know about other system 3 games and by system 4 hs reset is in the matrix as switch 8 and this seems common in all later games. For system 3s this means some of the tests can't be run fully as the hs reset is used to step through or activate some functions eg in Lamp test it changes from all on to different flash rates. In solenoid test hs reset is used to fire the solenoid under test.
Minor points raised more for interest than anything else as the test roms are very useful getting the earlier cpu, blanking, memory, displays etc tests done. Maybe if the lamp test startup state was all flashing it may be an advantage as the lamps would then toggle and the advance button could step through the individual flashing lamps? Maybe there aren't enough sys 3 games to worry about

Interesting. I have updated the lamps test to start out on a slow flash instead. It will appear in the next version.

As for the missing HSR button, the solenoids test uses the top DIP switch and the DIAG button to compensate for the missing HSR button. This could also be done with the lamps test, except that it currently uses the DIPs switches to control a delay feature. Has anyone found the delay feature useful? If not it could be removed. I could then incorporate the behavior of the solenoids test into this one.

It could also be done for 11a-sounds

Thoughts?

#298 1 year ago
Quoted from SYS6:

Thanks for the response pincoder.
I think changing the order of start up for the lamp test is a good idea, not withstanding the missing hs reset button issue. The reason I think this is that with most tests you run and if they pass then you move on without the need for further depth of investigation. So all lamps flashing is best and most useful as it quickly verifies lamp operation. You can think of hardware issues that would cause a row or col to be locked on or failed off and this all flashing covers both cases at a quick glance.
I have not used the delay feature yet as I have been able to work out what is going on without it. I don't know if it may be useful in the future? It would seem to be better to retain it in my view, but maybe others will chime in with thoughts and experiences. Maybe you could just use one of the dips in conjunction with the diag button as the hsr replacement and retain the other seven dips in the bank for delay value settings?
A thought for the missing hs reset, maybe easier would just be to use, say, the plumb bob tilt or any of the easily accessible column 1 switches for the same function as the hs reset in any test where hs reset is used. My guess is this would be easiest to program and would retain the existing delay features?
Purely for my interest I tried using a jumper wire in the place where the hs reset would be in World Cup with the game roms running - this did nothing, so I guess the hs reset feature is coded in the WMS game roms. I did this for my interest as I have a Phoenix which is said to be a system 4 game, but this refers to the mpu hardware level as Phoenix runs with white - generally regarded as sys 3 roms. Phoenix has a hs reset coin door button.
Just quickly browsing other sys3 game documentation I see that neither Disco Fever nor Lucky 7 have hs reset buttons, so I guess the hs reset feature only came at later games.
Thanks again for your great roms, I find them very useful for keeping my fleet running.

Good points, thank you I will look into the plumb bob tilt thing.. hadnt though of that one.

As for your jumper wire idea, Interesting research! thanks for posting

3 months later
#301 1 year ago

I'm not familiar with the firepower deluxe mod. Has the MPU board been modified or is it just strictly ROM changes?

Anyway, sounds like the MPU board isnt booting the adapter at all.

Is it jumpered to run as a system 6 or system 7?

If jumpered for 7 then you need to use the "sys7" pincoder ROMs
If jumpered for system 6 with 6 digit displays then you need to use the "sys346" pincoder ROMs
If jumpered for system 6 with 7 digit displays then use "sys6a"

Also, you might want to check the socket extensions. Perhaps a pin is bent..

#307 1 year ago

Thanks for all the answers everyone

uncivil_engineer you are correct: In your case, you will need to make an adapter board to convert 2532 to 2732. Then use the "sys7" ROMs in the pincoder adapter.

As far as the flipper ROMs (or any other ROMs for that matter) you do not need them installed to use the pincoder software.

#308 1 year ago

New subtopic.. I could use some help. Please PM your results if you can..

I'm looking for the GAME ID and software version of all system 3,4,6, and 7 games. While this information is freely available on the internet, I do need the results from actual games. If you have one of these systems, can you please do the one of the following on as many different games as you have:

Option A
- pull the batteries and power down the game
- open the coin door, power up the game.
- Send me the numbers you see on the displays. On Gorgar Player 1 shows "1496 1"
- reinstall the batteries and change your game defaults the way you like.

Option B
- Power on the game.
- In attract mode, open the coin door and place the auto up/down switch to "up".
- Press the Advance button
- Send me the numbers you see on the displays. On Gorgar Player 1 shows "1496 1"

Please also include the name of the game you are getting this from and, optionally, the software version shown on the ROM chips themselves.

I need a good understanding of what software versions are out there for as many games as possible.

Thanks for your help!

#310 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

black knight has
2500 3
2500 4
I documented the difference somewhere (it was an esoteric bug iirc) but I've had both in my machines. Don't remember what the original chips said on them though
Are you looking for anomalies of released software that 'reports' the wrong versions? You know of course that the first digit is the 'os' - 0, 1, or 2, the 3 digit game # (500 for black knight) and then the single digit is the revision.

Thanks! Yes, I am looking for the anomalies. Regardless of what Williams documentation suggests, I need to know what the Games themselves report as.

#312 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

Cosmic Gunfight (sys 7)
2502 1
The game has a Rottendog MPU board though.
Are you looking for undumped ROMs? I presume you could otherwise get the info using your favorite HEX editor and peeking at the available dumps??

The rotten dog shouldn't make a difference for this, and thanks for checking it anyway. It's good to know just the same.

Hex dumps won't do any good unless you know where the flipper roms are looking for that info. Seems to be mostly consistent across system 6 (offset by one) and system 7 (,offset zero) but there are exceptions. Firepower and Hyperball come to mind. System 3 and 4 I haven't figured out yet.

#314 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Firepower's is at the beginning of u14. That's where all system 6 would be expected to be, $6001-$6003 in the address. What firepower do you have that is different (at least of official roms....). Hyperball's (and any other system 7 that uses the 3x2532 configuration) will still look at whatever ends up being at $E001-$E003. There are a couple of system 7 roms that use a modified blue os rom, those would be the ones that might be different. Starlight comes to mind.

My mistake on Firepower. I had assembled it wrong.

As for Starlight, or any other blue rom game, I don't have any. Hoping they still look at the same address for the GAMEID and VERSION info.

Quoted from slochar:

It doesn't, the rottendog rom is just the regular roms concatenated together to form the combo rom. The rumor that they were modified to work on the RD board is false.

Yes it wouldn't make sense to build a board that would have to have modified ROMs to run. That would just be so much extra work.. and leaves open the possibility that things falls short post production. Glad to have confirmation though, thank you

#315 1 year ago

My issue is, I dont see the GAMEID and Version info in any of my roms for Hot Tip, or Phoenix for that matter. Trying to write a test ROM that probes for this information and then verifys all of the installed ROM chips based on that. I don't even know if system 3 and 4 even store that information in the ROMs themselves. If they do, I am not seeing it from the hexdumps I get when I pull the chips.

If they do, I would imagine there is a way to get the info shown on the displays by using the stock ROMs, just like in system 6,6a, and 7 and if that's the case, it must be stored in the ROMs somewhere..

#319 1 year ago

Thanks for all your help! Very interesting feedback. Seems they didnt offer a lot of consistency on this topic. Using an 8 bit checksum vs. 16 bits in others, plus, the locations of such. I'm also now starting to wonder if in the patches they made to the roms they were also adjusting the checksum. One would hope so.

@slochar:
> I used the first byte in each white ROM game ROM which is the checksum byte to id the rom. Afaik it's not in the gamerom like the later systems.

This doesn't match up for me (the first byte is not an 8 bit checksum value of the entire image). I've always wondered what that first byte was for..

@sys6:
> Flash 0486 2 yellow 6. Note there are two versions of Flash available, the game rom must match the flipper roms and the diag settings are slightly rearranged between the versions. The latter uses green flipper roms

Odd that version 2 of flash is yellow, while version 1 is green. (at least by the zip name: flash_l1.zip) Perhaps they mean version 1 of the green set.

> Barracora 2510 1 blue rottendog (I think it's 1, dodgy display so might be 0 - sorry)

You are correct. it is a 1

> Sys4 games would normally have yellow roms

The only game I'm seeing with yellow ROMSs is Stellar Wars.. and I agree.. you'd think white=sys3 and yellow=sys4 but this is not the case. Color must just be strictly about flipper ROM version.

I'll think some more on how to go about this. The purpose of the new test ROM would be to calculate a checksum for each of the ROMs on a board, and then compare to well-known checksum values. A proper solution to this would eliminate the need for a second chip programmed with the PATTxxxx.bin files, while also being able to pinpoint which ROM chips/sockets were bad, all in a single test ROM.

Thanks again for your feedback

1 week later
#324 1 year ago

Hi All. I've been working with a set of Hyperball boards and have created a "13-hyperball" test ROM in the sys7 set. It allows you to test the alphanumeric display located under the playfield. While I've already fully tested here, I'd certainly appreciate it if you have access to a Hyperball game and could run the test for me and send me some feedback.

https://pincoder.ca/?smd_process_download=1&download_id=476

Thanks!
Craig

EDIT: BEFORE YOU RUN ANY OF THE INCLUDED TESTS ON A HYPERBALL (INCLUDING 13-HYPERBALL) DISCONNECT 2J5 BEFORE PROCEEEDING. THIS WILL PREVENT ACCIDENTAL AND PROLONGED ACTIVATION OF THE BALL FEED AND SHOOTER COIL.

2 weeks later
#326 1 year ago
Quoted from SYS6:

pincoder I fired up my Tri Zone and for ID it reports 1487 1, uses green flipper roms and hardware version 6 mpu board.

Awesome! Thank you

11 months later
#328 5 months ago

The CMOS test requires the coin door be open. At the moment, I dont recall whether you need a switch simulating that while it's on the bench, but this is likely the issue you are seeing.

Additionally, just so you're aware, the clear_cmos is only required after running the cmos test, and really only if you are using NVRAM, or if you are running 5101 and dont want to remove the batteries afterwards.

Having a cleared CMOS will cause the Williams ROM to boot into attract mode and therefore rewrite the correct CMOS values for the game. Of course, the coin door must be open for it to succeed. After this the next power up will go into attract mode.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

2,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
South Kingstown, RI
2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pincoder.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-williams-system-6-in-game-test-roms?tu=pincoder and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.