6%
  • 09-lamps 0 votes
  • 10-solenoids 0 votes
  • 11-sounds 0 votes
  • 12-sounds2 0 votes
  • clear_cmos 0 votes
  • edit_cmos 0 votes
  • init_cmos 0 votes

(Multiple choice - 16 votes by 5 Pinsiders)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1J4.jpg
memory_protect.jpg
wms6.jpg
wms3-4.jpg
WMS-SYS6_R001B (resized).jpg
WMS-SYS6_R002B (resized).jpg
WMS-SYS6_R003B (resized).jpg
IMG_4365 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1542 (resized).JPG
IMG_1543 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
LTSpice sim of BLANKING keep-alive in test ROM (resized).png
02-blanking (resized).png
0C200399-BFEC-4C5C-9381-C10E3CD5EC73 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8222 (resized).JPG
IMG_8221 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cheddar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#164 4 years ago

Working on a Sys 7 Laser Cue board that does not have the LEDs. I found that I can logic probe them from the empty pads next to the 7 segment LED. I made a video to pay it forward.

Thanks for these roms!

#167 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_3_-_7#System_7_MPU_Test_Pad_Info
You can probe almost all of the signals right on the unpopulated connector in the lower right. Very handy.

very handy thank you

#169 4 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

Actually, you can also go by the upside-down-and-backward-F that is showing on the 7 segment display. Not sure what that character is supposed to be, but if your board is flashing that character it also means a pass. Thanks for posting that video cheddar. Are you able to post a video or picture of what the 7 segment looks like when a fail is indicated? I don't have my system 7 machine anymore.. if you have a socketed RAM or CMOS chip you could pull it out and run the test to get the failure.

I'll send you links to the videos in a little bit

#170 4 years ago

Failed ROM Test on board w/o LEDs

Passed ROM Test on board w/o LEDs

1 week later
#173 4 years ago

Hey guys, I have a results question. With 2 sets of verified roms (barracora) I get the following results:
Boots to 0, goes out, 8 shows on the LED, then 0 stays on
Press the diagnostic and I get a 5

The displays do not come on.

After doing the CMOS Test I did the CMOS init. Could the 8 be not having a battery pack attached?

I have tested the CMOS ram several times with the pincoder test and it passes every time.

Is the next step to replace the 5101 ram?

#175 4 years ago

I ran the clear cmos rom and still get the same result.

I've put it aside while I do more research. I am working on another sys7 (I have 2 that don't work) board that boots just fine except it doesn't start the attract mode. I can enter diagnostics so clearly it's running. I can execute the tests. Still looking into this one too.

#177 4 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

Interesting. Keep me posted.

This board had a bad diagnostics switch. I was able to spoof it and I get an error 7 (bad ic26). I have tested that and it passes so I am verifying the solder work on the socket.

1 week later
#184 4 years ago

UPDATE: Tested the data lines on IC26 with both the test rom and in audit mode. Both were fine. Retested the image on IC26 and it tested fine. Said F'it and burned IC26 to another EPROM and it works great now. 10 out of 10 good boots with attract mode. I learned something good today so bonus!

Thanks everyone for your help!

BEFORE EDIT:

I have made a lot of progress. Right now this SYS 7 board will boot about half the time. Sometimes it boots into audits and sometimes into attract. Attract mode is not stable though and will often crash. Board has nvram and I am not worried too much about the audit mode as I am on the bench.

When I am in audit or attract and I press the diag switch I get an error 7 every time. This is an error with IC26. I have run the mem test for IC26 dozens of times and it always passes. I have also tested the rom against the image and it passes. I am wondering about the address decoder at this point

Any thoughts?

#185 4 years ago

2 posts in 1:
1. pincoder thanks for making these ROMs. When you announced them I couldn't understand why anyone would want to burn so many ROMs. Now that I have used them to fix a board set I completely understand. The ability to jump to a specific rom and diagnose a specific issue was perfect!

2. I had a particular problem to solve. I have 3 sys 7 machines, 1 working board set, 3 non-working system 7 sets and a RD mpu327. The RD allowed me to get Barracora up and running but left my time fantasy and my buddies laser cue down until I could get another working set.

Things I learned:
1. Don't even try without a known working driver board
2. ROMs may burn and verify but that's not a guarantee. When in doubt try another. The PC test ROMs were invaluable here
3. Verify the jumpers on the board. 3 system 7 boards, 3 different jumper configs!
4. I'd still like to find a theory of operations for this board. The 1 thing I was certain of on all these boards is they were resetting correctly. It difficult to know what to expect between reset and attract.

Whew that was a lot. I have 2 more boards to fix. I'm going to make some videos of the test ROMs in use to share as thanks.

#188 4 years ago

Here is the first set of short videos. I have a couple missing I need to redo and then another half dozen I haven't done because I didn't need those roms for my last board. I'll work on adding those to the playlist as I make them.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtGB2hX0oWQT_eIL4mvQg1mNrVZWnpJz5

also I have a clamp on camera mount coming that should remove the shakycam

1 year later
#256 3 years ago

I need a clarification from the group. I am running the CMOS IC19 test on a 6a and it says I need to have the coin door open. I'm running these tests on the bench so no coin door connected. I have the little siegecraft board that simulates the coin door switches and was able to do it with the reset high score switch off, but I was curious about doing this without that board. Ground pin 1 of 1J4 or connect to 5V?

#258 3 years ago
Quoted from johnboy1313:

cheddar if you have a look at the far left side of the CPU board assembly drawing in the Gorgar manual, it shows pin 9 on IC12 to be TP3. 5V with door closed, 0V with door open.
https://www.ipdb.org/files/1062/Gorgar_Manual.pdf

Nice Catch!

#260 3 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

Odd, pinside didn't show this thread as having new posts! I didn't see the last four until just now. The coin door needs to be open on 6, and 7 as well. Not sure about 3 and 4, but I would imagine so.

Funny you bring this up. I am having a hard time getting into the diagnostics with white flipper roms on a 6a board (hot tip).

I can do it but the exact sequence still eludes me. Funny thing is some combination of switches and button presses on the coin door switches (3 button instead of 2) makes the machine reboot.

#263 3 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

Could something be shorting out or incorrectly grounding when you do that?
How do the Pincoder ROMs behave when you do that? Ie LEDs test.

I haven't tried with the pincoder rom. I'm getting better at it but still don't know the exact scenario

1 month later
#271 2 years ago
Quoted from daly124:

pincoder So I bought one of these pincoders, and im not sure of what you are supposed to look for when you are doing a test in a certain game, meaning once you set all the switches on your pincoder. Say you are testing one of the ICs on the board. You adjust the two jumpers and the dip switches according to the game. Once you power the game on, how do you know if the IC youre testing is good or not? Does something come up on the displays, or the MPU LEDs will light a certain way?I dont see any info on the pincoder website regarding this.

On the pincoder site download the latest set of roms. You don't need the roms because you have the adapter but it contains a file for each test describing setup and outputs

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 13.50

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cheddar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-williams-system-6-in-game-test-roms?tu=cheddar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.