6%
  • 09-lamps 0 votes
  • 10-solenoids 0 votes
  • 11-sounds 0 votes
  • 12-sounds2 0 votes
  • clear_cmos 0 votes
  • edit_cmos 0 votes
  • init_cmos 0 votes

(Multiple choice - 16 votes by 5 Pinsiders)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1J4.jpg
memory_protect.jpg
wms6.jpg
wms3-4.jpg
WMS-SYS6_R001B (resized).jpg
WMS-SYS6_R002B (resized).jpg
WMS-SYS6_R003B (resized).jpg
IMG_4365 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1542 (resized).JPG
IMG_1543 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
LTSpice sim of BLANKING keep-alive in test ROM (resized).png
02-blanking (resized).png
0C200399-BFEC-4C5C-9381-C10E3CD5EC73 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8222 (resized).JPG
IMG_8221 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EvanDickson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#87 5 years ago

Hi Craig, thanks for making these! I'm trying them out to figure out a misbehaving firepower and gorgar now.

Can I ask for a clarification on step 1? Instructions say "Top and bottom LEDs should alternate flashing." The LEDs are flashing together. I'm not sure if that's the expected result and the word "alternate" is misleading, or if that's an error and they're supposed to flash but at different times from each other.

Thanks!

Update: it's failing test 01 in ways not tackled in the instructions. I'm an outlier. Yay. It sometimes boots up silently, and the lights flash. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes they flash slower and slower with each flash. Sometimes it fires the top saucer kickout solenoid, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it plays sounds, sometimes it doesn't. TP4 remains low, even though a solenoid occasionally fires, and the displays get a brief flicker of power when machine is turned on. I'm so confused. Video pending, my phone won't let me upload to youtube, will have to return to desktop.

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

I'm glad you're putting these ROMs to use, and thanks for posting the video!
The LEDs should be flashing one at a time, top.. bottom..top..bottom.. etc.
From the looks of things the test ROM isn't actually being executed at all. The two LEDs come on simultaneously upon power up, and the test ROM then shuts them off and begins the test. Also, the sound you're hearing is from an uninitialized PIA on the driver board. When the ROM runs, it also initializes all of the PIAs right away.
So, from the looks of it, the MPU board is not even getting to the point where it starts to run code.
Things to test:
1 - Check for 4.9-5.2 Volts coming in to the MPU board (TP9-5V and TP10-GND).
2 - Ensure that the reset circuit is working. TP8 should go HIGH about 1 second after power up and stay that way. If it bounces up and down (continues to reset) both LEDs will probably flash each time (Though I've never had a bouncy reset signal so I'm guessing as to the outcome).
3 - Ensure the test ROM has been programmed correctly. If you look at the first page of bytes in each ROM image you will see the name of the ROM etc.
4 - Ensure the test ROM is in the IC17 socket, correctly inserted (notch end down) and all pins are inserted correctly, etc.
Let me know what you find

Wow, that was a fast reply!

When it boots, which isn't every time, I see 4.99V across TP 9/10. TP 8 is low for a split second then goes high. When it doesn't boot, no volts at 9/10 and 8 stays low.

I think the rom looks good, here's the code, as read back from the rom:
IMG_20190404_083251161 (resized).jpgIMG_20190404_083251161 (resized).jpg

Reading what I typed, I guess the first thing I should do is figure out what components make up the reset circuit and replace them.

#98 5 years ago

Protip is that ROMs are ROMs, not BINs. Rewrote the chip as a rom and it passes test 1 with flying colors. Now the chips are all in the uv bath so I can rewrite the rest.

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

Interesting. What software and hardware are you using to program the chips? Typically BIN implies a straight copy and not some sort of translation. Did you have to rename the files to .rom or anything?

Gq-4x with newest available drivers. No renaming. I'm not experienced enough to know the difference, but opening with file format .rom seems to be what I need to do.

IMG_20190406_160625475 (resized).jpgIMG_20190406_160625475 (resized).jpg
#101 5 years ago

The other thing I need to do is rebuild switch matrix for firepower, which I figured. A bunch of switches out, but no full rows or columns. Chips are ordered from eBay.

#104 5 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

Nice. Glad you figured it out. Have you gone through all the ROMs yet? It would be great if you could send me some feedback on your experience with the whole process of using them, and your thoughts on the documentation files.. do they make sense etc. Its always good to get a fresh set of eyes on things. Any comments you or anyone else has on using them is certainly appreciated and will help make them easier to use.

Will pm you with deets, I feel like I'm cluttering up your thread too much. TLDR is that these ROMs are awesome though, thanks for putting these together!

2 months later
#172 4 years ago

edit - I had a goofy question here and removed it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Myers, FL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TENNESSEE
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Washington, KY
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EvanDickson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-williams-system-6-in-game-test-roms?tu=EvanDickson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.