6%
  • 09-lamps 0 votes
  • 10-solenoids 0 votes
  • 11-sounds 0 votes
  • 12-sounds2 0 votes
  • clear_cmos 0 votes
  • edit_cmos 0 votes
  • init_cmos 0 votes

(Multiple choice - 16 votes by 5 Pinsiders)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1J4.jpg
memory_protect.jpg
wms6.jpg
wms3-4.jpg
WMS-SYS6_R001B (resized).jpg
WMS-SYS6_R002B (resized).jpg
WMS-SYS6_R003B (resized).jpg
IMG_4365 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1542 (resized).JPG
IMG_1543 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
LTSpice sim of BLANKING keep-alive in test ROM (resized).png
02-blanking (resized).png
0C200399-BFEC-4C5C-9381-C10E3CD5EC73 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8222 (resized).JPG
IMG_8221 (resized).JPG
There are 336 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
#201 4 years ago

FYI:

I'm in the process of making a device that won't require the use of any ROMs at all.. so you won't need a chip programmer either. It will also support running 3rd party ROMs too, including the original game ROM so you can leave it in the machine if you so desire. It's still not ready to be manufactured but the prototype works like a charm!

At the moment it will support the Williams 3-7 games, but it should be compatible in the future with other games as well. More details as they surface

#202 4 years ago

My blog on my implementation in case it helps someone to build their own.

http://www.edcheung.com/album/album05/pinball/cpub.htm#pincoder

9FCCB059-2325-4DE3-9C6B-3A04E7B2B8D3 (resized).jpeg9FCCB059-2325-4DE3-9C6B-3A04E7B2B8D3 (resized).jpeg
#203 4 years ago
Quoted from beaver:

My blog on my implementation in case it helps someone to build their own./>

Thanks @beaver !

#204 4 years ago

Thanks for making this software available pincoder

I used a W27C010 (128k x 8 ) for the Sys7 version, similar construction technique to above.
IMG_8221 (resized).JPGIMG_8221 (resized).JPGIMG_8222 (resized).JPGIMG_8222 (resized).JPG

#205 4 years ago

I am having some difficulty with the blanking test (Test 02). With the standard ROMs I get a period of ~8msec on the output of IC7. But with the pincoder ROMs I get a 50 usec period. This faster rate prevents the blanking timer circuit from detecting the pulses. Anyone have this?

#206 4 years ago
Quoted from beaver:

I am having some difficulty with the blanking test (Test 02). With the standard ROMs I get a period of ~8msec on the output of IC7. But with the pincoder ROMs I get a 50 usec period. This faster rate prevents the blanking timer circuit from detecting the pulses. Anyone have this?

Interesting. I just tested my system 6 board and get 8.36ms on the 02-blanking test, and almost exactly that with the GREEN ROM.. What game/board are you troubleshooting?

For what it's worth, the blanking test does nothing but loop until it's time to toggle the input pin (pin 5) of IC7. then it uses an EORA to invert the correct bit in the PIA1_A register.

If your clock speed checks out then it is peculiar that the bit in the PIA register would show signs of toggle so much faster than the CPU even asks.. I can't say I've ever seen that before. Please let me know what you find

#207 4 years ago
Quoted from SYS6:

Thanks for making this software available pincoder
I used a W27C010 (128k x 8 ) for the Sys7 version, similar construction technique to above.

Nice to see a variation on the chip used, and that you have made a board that splits things by 4K chunks

#208 4 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

Interesting. I just tested my system 6 board and get 8.36ms on the 02-blanking test, and almost exactly that with the GREEN ROM.. What game/board are you troubleshooting?
For what it's worth, the blanking test does nothing but loop until it's time to toggle the input pin (pin 5) of IC7. then it uses an EORA to invert the correct bit in the PIA1_A register.
If your clock speed checks out then it is peculiar that the bit in the PIA register would show signs of toggle so much faster than the CPU even asks.. I can't say I've ever seen that before. Please let me know what you find

This is on a System 3. I do not know what the identity is of the other ROMs.

Note that test 1 (LEDs flash) looks like it is toggling flashing around 2hz rate.

#209 4 years ago

System 3 & 4 boards use the 6875 for the clock generation. Might be worth looking at it to see what it is producing.

#210 4 years ago
Quoted from SYS6:

System 3 & 4 boards use the 6875 for the clock generation. Might be worth looking at it to see what it is producing.

Frequency is just under 1 MHz. Both my System 3 and 4 boards look the same.

0C200399-BFEC-4C5C-9381-C10E3CD5EC73 (resized).jpeg0C200399-BFEC-4C5C-9381-C10E3CD5EC73 (resized).jpeg
#211 4 years ago

My system 6 is giving me 3.2hz on the LED's test.

The sys346 02-blanking ROM in the latest beta download (pincoder_roms_2019.10.29.1803_beta) can be modified at the locations shown in blue.. Currently the value is 01D0 (msb to lsb) and the value is simply a 16 bit "sleep" counter number used in the X register for creating a simple delay. At this stage of the test ROMS I don't want to rely on the external interrupt for calculating a proper delay as it requires the proper functioning of additional circuitry (the IRQ circuitry), which gets tested in later ROMs anyway.

So I will focus on getting a suitable counter value for system3-4. However, I don't have any 3-4 boards to test with.

On a system 6 board counting down to zero from 01D0 (hexadecimal) yeilds a toggle period of 8.3ms on IC7 pin 5. This is what the system 6 Williams ROMs are also refreshing at.

@beaver, if you have time would you mind playing around with the counter value in the beta image to see where it best matches the 8.3ms on the system 3 board? I will then test that number on my system 6 and see if it's still within reason. I may have to create a different binary for systems 3-4.

Thanks
02-blanking (resized).png02-blanking (resized).png

#212 4 years ago

I won’t have the time this week as I will be going out of town. I also have 2019.04.07.1941 which may be a release version. I will probably cut and paste the above revision into an unused slot on my ROM.

#213 4 years ago

Just did a calculation and we are a factor of 160 off from 8 msec. Multiplying that by 1D0 will exceed 16 bits.

1 week later
#214 4 years ago

I should have thought of this sooner, but thanks to some digging by beaver I remembered that the 02-blanking test in the current release version (2019.04.07.1941) does not have a delay built in for the blanking signal refresh. Apparently this causes system 3-4 boards to show incorrect results when running this ROM.

The latest beta download (2019.10.29.1803_beta) does have the correct delay loop, and therefore correct results with the 02-blanking on a system 3-4 board.

Sorry for the confusion folks!

#215 4 years ago

Merry Christmas everyone. Hope you all had a good one!

Check out the latest release version of pincoder ROMs: http://pincoder.ca/ccn/roms/pincoder_roms_2019.12.26.2048.zip

Changes since the previous release:

* Slowed pulse rate (PIA1 Pin 4 - PA2) on 02-blanking from 2500Hz down to 120Hz to match williams ROMs refresh rate.

* Eliminated ghosting from neighboring segments on displays.

* Added 11b-sounds test to allow sound card testing on the bench.

* Modified 10-solenoids to also fire a solenoid using the DIP_01 switch together with the COMMAND ENTER button on the MPU board. Some games do not have a HIGH SCORE RESET button.

* Temporarily removed sys7/2K images.

* Rewrote the documentation for "01b-bus". The ROM itself remains unchanged.

Enjoy!

1 month later
#216 4 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

I should have thought of this sooner, but thanks to some digging by beaver I remembered that the 02-blanking test in the current release version (2019.04.07.1941) does not have a delay built in for the blanking signal refresh. Apparently this causes system 3-4 boards to show incorrect results when running this ROM.
The latest beta download (2019.10.29.1803_beta) does have the correct delay loop, and therefore correct results with the 02-blanking on a system 3-4 board.
Sorry for the confusion folks!

Quoted from beaver:

First time poster here. Just wanted to say thanks to pincoder for the test ROMs, they were a *BIG* help in getting my friend's Flash MPU4 board working again.

We saw the same issue as @beaver, where the banking keep-alive pulse was too short. It's not so much the keep-alive period that's the issue, but more the active time. I did an LTspice sim of the keep-alive + 555 (1/2 of 556) and it confirmed what we were seeing on the board, which was that the blanking keep-alive wasn't long enough to reset the 556 timeout.

One interesting thing that we did find was that post-MPU4 designs added a 6.8K pulldown (R95), creating a voltage divider at the base of Q5. If R95 is added to the MPU4 board, then the blanking test ROM keeps the 556 retriggered and BLANKING stays asserted.

A bit of disassembly of the blanking test ROM confirms that there is a rather short loop (22 clocks) for each high/low time of the blanking keep-alive waveform, which matches the observed keep-alive waveform. Also interesting is that the two MPU LEDs are also being toggled, but the toggles aren't observable at 20 KHz

Another observation in looking at the disassembled code is that the blanking test appears to require that the 256 bytes of RAM be functional, both as scratchpad (RAM 00-03) and for stack usage (RAM FE-FF) in subroutine calls. In an earlier post it was mentioned that blanking was one of the tests that didn't require functional RAM.

pincoder : I can PM you with the disassembled if that is helpful, although it sounnds like you've resolved the issue with new update. Not sure where we got the ROMs, but it was within the past two months. Here's the version header from the blanking ROM. The date stamp on your updated ROMs is after we downloaded them. Will download the new version and test them.

FCC "PinCoder Format: 6"
FCB $00
FCC "Title: 02-blanking"
FCB $00
FCC "Version: 2019.04.07.1941"
FCB $00

A snapshot of the LTSpice sim is attached. If interested I can also attach the LTSpice sim files. The cursor shows that Vtrig (base of Q1) never gets below the trigger voltage of 1/3 VCC which is required to restart the 556 one-shot timer. Adding R95 biases the base low enough even a short keep-alive pulse is enough to reset the timer.
LTSpice sim of BLANKING keep-alive in test ROM (resized).pngLTSpice sim of BLANKING keep-alive in test ROM (resized).png

#217 4 years ago

Excellent research! This ROM has been driving me a little nuts as I don't have any system 3 or 4 machines to test with.

According to beaver the latest ROMs (2019.12.26.2048) work in his system 3, but I've also had someone tell me that the same version didn't work in theirs.

I would very much like a copy of your sim files. Thank you. I'd like to come up with a ROM that will work for all of them as it would be disheartening to have to split the sys346 set out into their own binaries.

So yes please send me anything you think I will need to do some testing. I'll post an updated version as soon as I come up with something. It sounds like it'll be just a matter of changing the length of low side of the cycle but I'll need something that works with or without the voltage divider and still resembles the output of the Williams ROMs.

Thanks again for the good work and the detailed update! I'm looking forward to running some spice tests!

Oh and you're right, the blanking test isn't supposed to depend on RAM. I'll look into that. In the mean time please let me know how the 2019.12.26.2048 version works for you. I'm glad these ROMs helped you

#218 4 years ago

@pincoder I don't see how to attach the LTSpice files. I tried a PM but still didn't see a way to attach files. If I can't send files via pinside, then PM your email address and I'll send the files.

A few notes on running the sim. Not sure if your familiarity with Spice models, but the timing of pulse generator, V2, can be adjusted by changing the parameters by right-clicking on the parameters.

- R95 can be connected in/out of the circuit in 2 different ways
1. Cut the wire at the top end of R95 for MPU4 circuitry, reconnect for later MPU boards. This was the method I used
2. Leave R95 connected for all sims, but use a high resistance value (e.g. 1MEG *not 1M*) for MPU4 and older

- Change the pulse generator timing in PULSE(0 5 100m 10n 10n 25u 50u 50). The last 3 parameters are what you may want to change. These parameters are defined as follows
25u = 25 microsecond pulse high time
50u = 50 microsecond pulse period
50 = number of pulses to generate

1 month later
#219 4 years ago

I want to thank pincoder for these test ROMs. And also CFH and others for countless resources over the years getting me to this point in my repair abilities.

In short:

A) I had a Pharaoh (sys7) that stopped booting and I was able to:

B) erase and burn my first ROMs ever
C) run successfully test ROM 01a-leds.bin
D) use a logic probe for the first time
E) fix my game

Long version:

A) My Pharaoh was working great for about a year then it decided to stop booting. Game would fire a random coil/sound at startup and would immediately freeze the 0 on MPU board. GI only - no attract lamps, no displays. 12V and 5V on MPU board tested good. I had previously followed Clay's guide and had done recommended upgrades - 40 pins/connector, new MPU 1J2 connector/header, resolder all headers, driver board R149-R156.

Decided it was finally time to try out my GQ-4X4 rom burner, logic probe and 2532 EPROMS that have been sitting unused in a drawer for between 6 months to 2 years. :-O

B) Not being a recent Windows user I struggled a bit getting the USBPrg software to recognize the GQ-4X4 device. Ah yes, needs a driver installed - been a while since I've done that. Then a youtube video or 2 to see how to burn arcade ROMs with the device. Seemed to work well - it is fun. Burned the first few test ROMs.

C) Popped out the Blue flipper ROM #2 and installed ROM 01a-leds.bin. Did not seem to work. Same results - random coil/sound at startup then would immediately freeze on a randmom digit. Sometimes would just freeze at 0. Twisted some of the socketed chips. No changes.

D) Then with one of the many bootups it started to run its test - digit counted up from 0-9 twice before it crashed. At least I now knew what the test should look like. I could coax it to run briefly maybe 25% of the bootups. I did probe some of the suggested IC pins and was able to at least learn how to use the probe. So, progress. Pulses were matching the test notes at least while test was running and then they'd go hi or lo when things crashed.

E) On a whim I replaced the AMI 6808 CPU at IC1 with the CPU chip from my Cosmic Gunfight. It ran the ROM 01a-leds.bin test perfectly several times in a row!! I seem to recall a Clay/ninja video questioning the long-term viability of these AMI chips. So I put the game ROM back in and things are booting and playing perfectly!!!

So again, thanks to all the repair helpers out there who have taught me stuff over the years. Not much of a "repair", but I did learn a lot today.

#220 4 years ago

I noticed the CPU socket was by RN - are those suspect and should I replace the socket if things are working?

#221 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

I want to thank pincoder for these test ROMs. And also CFH and others for countless resources over the years getting me to this point in my repair abilities.

Awesome! Nice Going! and thanks for letting me know they helped you! Did you also run through the rest of the tests? You might find switch problems, etc that could improve the game play (if it's unnoticably lacking).

Swapping the CPU's may have been enough to point a fault at the socket as well. You could always go back to the old chip and see if there's any change. At any rate, swapping the socket wouldn't be a bad idea, especially if you happen to have a proper heat gun to pull the old one out. If not you can always pull it using the old fashioned way

#222 4 years ago

I did not run more than the 01a and 01b tests. I got too excited with the success of the borrowed CPU chip. I did try the suspect AMI chip in the Cosmic Gunfight and it failed to boot there as well. So I'm thinking my sockets are OK at least for now.

I did read through all the tests and may try them in the future - cool stuff. I am intrigued by the display test's easter egg and was amused with your names for all of the different sounds! "Alien Evaporation" is my favorite, lol. Reminds me of a friend whose summer job was coming up with names for different house paint colors. They declined to adopt her suggestion of Charlie Brown, lol.

Thanks again.

#223 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

I noticed the CPU socket was by RN - are those suspect and should I replace the socket if things are working?

It is the Scanbe sockets in system 3 and 4 games that usually cause problems.

#224 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

I did not run more than the 01a and 01b tests. I got too excited with the success of the borrowed CPU chip. I did try the suspect AMI chip in the Cosmic Gunfight and it failed to boot there as well. So I'm thinking my sockets are OK at least for now.
I did read through all the tests and may try them in the future - cool stuff. I am intrigued by the display test's easter egg and was amused with your names for all of the different sounds! "Alien Evaporation" is my favorite, lol. Reminds me of a friend whose summer job was coming up with names for different house paint colors. They declined to adopt her suggestion of Charlie Brown, lol.
Thanks again.

Glad they helped you and I'm always looking for feedback so its good to hear good things I've always wondered if those names actually resembled the same thing to everyone else. It's too bad about your friend.. he could have made them millions had they followed his advice!

#225 4 years ago

If the tension seems bad in the RN sockets, or the chips in them were really corroded, might be a good idea to replace.

1 month later
#226 3 years ago

I am making an adapter for a 27512 with 5 switches. Should the switches and address pins have pull up or pull down resistors?

#227 3 years ago
Quoted from MeEtc:

I am making an adapter for a 27512 with 5 switches. Should the switches and address pins have pull up or pull down resistors?

Whenever I've done this I use 10K pull up resistors and use the DIP switches to ground the appropriate pins. Just order the images in the ROM to match the order you want.

#228 3 years ago

I have some built up for 27256. $15 shipped in the USA.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#229 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Whenever I've done this I use 10K pull up resistors and use the DIP switches to ground the appropriate pins. Just order the images in the ROM to match the order you want.

Perfect, thanks. So then for slot 0, are all switches on to ground, or left off to 5v?

#230 3 years ago
Quoted from MeEtc:

Perfect, thanks. So then for slot 0, are all switches on to ground, or left off to 5v?

Depends on whether you are tying them high or low using the resistors. I like to tie them low, and when a switch is closed, it goes high. This allows for setting the bank to the natural binary value.. ie. slot 0 is with all switches open (0000), and slot 15 is with the 4 least significant switches closed(1111).

#231 3 years ago

Working on a system 6 board. Have a 27512 with 15+clear CMOS ROMs on it.
I had one 8t28 that was bad, I've removed it and bypassed with jumpers. Trying to run test 1 to blink the LEDs, and it fails. Both LEDs stay on, except if power cycled after the board has been powered on for a few minutes, they turn off after flashing once.

Running solenoid test also is not working. Flipper relay clicks once at power on, but does not stay on.

Running bus test fails. Address lines are still pulsing. Power and reset lines are good. Clock signal and pin 37 has pulses.

Have PIA, RAM and CMOS all removed from the board. Bus test says it reads from address 0000, but doesn't specify from where, the RAM or from program ROM?
I have other CPU chips in other games to swap if needed, but would rather not have to.

Have an oscilloscope to do transceivers test, but instructions aren't written for it yet. Unsure what to try next.

#232 3 years ago

I would double check the 8t28 jumpers, and also remove and jumper the other 8t28.

LEDs come on by default on a board that has no code to boot. They only go out once the code initializes PIA1.

Address zero is located either on CPU1 itself, or IC13 depending on what CPU chip you are using, and whether it is jumpered properly for the CPU you are using. See documentation for 04-ram-IC13 for more info..

While running 01b-bus, if you are seeing activity on the address and/or data bus lines continually, I suspect the CPU is continually rebooting. This is usually caused by a faulty reset circuit. Verify the reset signal as per the instructions in 01b-bus.

At this point, I don't think the transceivers test will do you any good since you are removing them. The test is meant to verify the input and output lines of the transceivers: Data out should equal data in.

2 weeks later
#233 3 years ago

I wod like to buy the test rom and game roms. Where can i buy both? I emailed hobbyroms but didnt get a response.

#234 3 years ago

The images for the test ROMs can be downloaded for free:

http://pincoder.ca

The images for the games ROMs can be found here:

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/tech/roms.html

As the physical ROMs are not produced any more you will have to search the net. Ebay typically always has some, but they're not reliable ads - many are scams.

Another option is to order an interface board that uses a newer and bigger chip (that is still in production) and will allow you to use a programmer to write multiple images to the chip. You can order one here:

https://dirtypcbs.com/store/pcbs/buy/107605/2716to27256-bank-switch-zip

You can also contact @thewiz. He had some boards made up and may have some for sale.

I am currently working on a board that doesnt require a programmer or any chips, but it is not yet in production.

Hope this helps.

#235 3 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

The images for the test ROMs can be downloaded for free:
http://pincoder.ca
Another option is to order an interface board that uses a newer and bigger chip (that is still in production) and will allow you to use a programmer to write multiple images to the chip. You can order one here:
https://dirtypcbs.com/store/pcbs/buy/107605/2716to27256-bank-switch-zip

Do you have a BOM to go with that board, I'd love to throw one together.

#236 3 years ago

It was designed by @barakandl. He may have the actual BOM for that. Keep in mind that this board was designed a while back and the number of ROMs has since increased so it isn't big enough to hold all of the latest test ROMs. You might want to order two or even three of the 27256 chips and use a ZIF socket instead of a regular socket.

This problem is obviously going to come up again before my board is ready, so I'll make a bigger version of @barakandl's board this week and make it available as a short term and least expensive option.

I'll keep you posted

1 month later
#237 3 years ago

Hi everyone!

I've got an intermediate adapter board (the "Pincoder Adapter") available now that comes preloaded with these test ROMs. It isn't the "Pincoder Controller" I've been working hard to bring to market, but it is an intermediate solution that still gives you all of the Pincoder ROMs preprogrammed into a single adapter that supports 2K and 4K ROMs simultaneously AND it is available today!

It's especially great for those of you without a chip programmer and chips because it eliminates the need for those items so you can start troubleshooting right away!

For those of you WITH a programmer there's plenty of space for third party ROM images like the Andre and Leon test ROMs.

You can find all about the Pincoder Adapter on this page:

https://pincoder.ca/index.php/2020/07/10/adapter-2020-06-23-0506

I've also created another pinside thread for questions and answers related to the board itself:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pincoder-adapter#post-5743793

Thanks for helping me support the preservation of your classic pinball machines!

#238 3 years ago

Did you post this on facebook as well? If so I had brought up that people may want o plug this into a spare dual leaf socket first so that the machine pins don't stretch out the pins in the sockets in the board you're trying to repair. It is an easy work around and the machine pins are definitely right for your test module.

It is just something I've run into ni the past and wanted to mention it here too.

#239 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Did you post this on facebook as well? If so I had brought up that people may want o plug this into a spare dual leaf socket first so that the machine pins don't stretch out the pins in the sockets in the board you're trying to repair. It is an easy work around and the machine pins are definitely right for your test module.
It is just something I've run into ni the past and wanted to mention it here too.

Yes I've cross posted to a few Facebook groups. Thanks for taking the time to add your same comments here. As I also mentioned there I have not seen any socket stretching as such this far, but you do make a good point

If I have some spare sockets available I'll include them with the board. They might not be dual leaf, but they'll work.

#240 3 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

Yes I've cross posted to a few Facebook groups. Thanks for taking the time to add your same comments here. As I also mentioned there I have not seen any socket stretching as such this far, but you do make a good point
If I have some spare sockets available I'll include them with the board. They might not be dual leaf, but they'll work.

It may not be too common but I've recently run across it when using NVRAM modules in games. After those are plugged (which use the same style pins) the sockets don't hold a regular 5101 tight any more. Not a problem since I never usually go back to them after testing.

Single or dual leaf are fine. Either will have pins that won't stretch or stress the original DIP socket pins.

#241 3 years ago

Good News! Online purchase of the Pincoder Adapter is now available everywhere (click and scroll down to "HOW TO GET ONE" here):

https://pincoder.ca/index.php/2020/07/10/adapter-2020-06-23-0506/

(I'll also post this at the top of this thread)

Thanks again for your support!

4 months later
#242 3 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've published a beta version of the latest pincoder ROMs:

https://pincoder.ca/ccn/roms/pincoder_roms_2020.12.04.1236_beta.zip

In it, the 09-lamps test has been given an added "delay" feature that may help in troubleshooting strange behavior with bulbs in the lamp matrix. As it clearly states in the 09-lamps.txt file, USE WITH CAUTION. This is because the test gives you the power to hold constant power to a column of bulbs for longer than intended in the original design of the Williams hardware and software.

Everything you need to know about the delay feature is documented in the 09-lamps.txt file.

Because this is a beta release, future orders of the Pincoder Adapter will be shipped with the current Release version installed (2020.06.23.0506) unless you specifically ask for this beta version by messaging me (@pincoder) before you order. For those who already have the adapter and would like an updated EEPROM chip sent to them you can also message me and I will ship you one for $10 CAD plus shipping.

If you have a chip programmer that can write an ST39SF040 chip you will find the updated adapter image (pincoder_adapter.bin) and the updated DIP settings file (pincoder_adapter.txt) in the beta download. Since this is only a change in content, and not a change in the number or order of tests included on the chip, the DIP settings on the adapter remain the same as the Release version already installed on the adapter.

As always, your feedback is welcome. I am not certain how useful this feature is as I have no suspect hardware to test it against. However, it would be nice to know how this test works out in the field

#243 3 years ago

Also, created a poll at the top of this thread if you wouldn't mind ticking a few boxes Thanks!

#244 3 years ago

I have used your test ROMs only once, when one of my games did not boot any more after some late night board "work". I do not remember which of your ROMs was the key to finding my problem (a solder bridge on a connector), so I cannot fill in the poll. What I can say is that i) the ROMs are easy to use; I particularly appreciate the careful documentation, ii) they saved me a chunk of time, and iii) I neglected to show my appreciation with a Paypal donation. I have now rectified that problem.

#245 3 years ago
Quoted from idealjoker:

I have used your test ROMs only once, when one of my games did not boot any more after some late night board "work". I do not remember which of your ROMs was the key to finding my problem (a solder bridge on a connector), so I cannot fill in the poll. What I can say is that i) the ROMs are easy to use; I particularly appreciate the careful documentation, ii) they saved me a chunk of time, and iii) I neglected to show my appreciation with a Paypal donation. I have now rectified that problem.

Awesome! Thank you for your donation, and taking some time to give your feedback I appreciate it!

1 month later
#246 3 years ago

So I finally got a chance to put this adapter to use in my Tri Zone. First off its awesome! Game seems to pass all the test up to test 6 Switches. The expected result is 00 in the match credit but it sometimes starts at 00 then goes to like 64 and starts to count down to like 40 and stops. The other displays have a bunch of numbers in them. I am assuming that this means it is not passing the test. I have the MPU and Driver in the game right now. When I unplug 2j2 and 2j3 from the driver you would think this would cause it to 00 irregardless but it does the same thing. Other thing I notice is if I let the game run the test for a few minutes it seems to lock up?? Normal? I flip game off and back on and seems fine again. Maybe issue with game is related....???

#247 3 years ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

So I finally got a chance to put this adapter to use in my Tri Zone. First off its awesome! Game seems to pass all the test up to test 6 Switches. The expected result is 00 in the match credit but it sometimes starts at 00 then goes to like 64 and starts to count down to like 40 and stops. The other displays have a bunch of numbers in them. I am assuming that this means it is not passing the test. I have the MPU and Driver in the game right now. When I unplug 2j2 and 2j3 from the driver you would think this would cause it to 00 irregardless but it does the same thing. Other thing I notice is if I let the game run the test for a few minutes it seems to lock up?? Normal? I flip game off and back on and seems fine again. Maybe issue with game is related....???

First off, I'm glad to hear the adapter is found to be useful! Thanks for the feedback!

It sounds exactly like you have issues with IC15, 16, 17, 18, and possibly IC11 (though I'm betting its somewhere in those first four). With 06-switches running, 2J2 and 2J3 disconnected you should get 00 in the match display and nothing anywhere else. Take a look at the numbers on the displays and map them to the switch matrix chart in your manual. See if any one entire row or column is shown. Chances are you'll see more than one row or column that will turn up. These rows and columns refer to the pins on 2J2 and 2J3.

The last section in 06-switches.txt ("ABOUT THE MATRIX SWITCHES (and PIA2)" will walk you through tracing signals so you can verify which ones actually need to be replaced, but in my experience IC15 and IC16 fail before IC16 and IC17 ever do. For the price, it's worth replacing all four anyway. Don't forget to install sockets first, it makes life easier.

Sometimes, when IC15 and IC16 fail they cause damage to the pins on IC11. If you replace IC15 through IC18 and the test still fails, you should replace IC11.

As for the lockup issue, that's a bit odd at this stage in the tests.. It may indicate a bad IC11 (or some other chip on the address/data bus), but the tests should continue to run even with a totally dead IC11. If you can properly remove IC11 without damaging it, you could try running the test with IC11 removed. In this case you should get "64" in the match display and numbers from 01 to 12 in all of the player displays - and it should still run forever.

Do any of the other tests crash if left to run for extended periods? You could try 01a-leds and see if the blink-rate ever "stutters".

#248 3 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

First off, I'm glad to hear the adapter is found to be useful! Thanks for the feedback!

Yes!!! This is super useful! Testing these Williams games without this is a fools errand.

Quoted from pincoder:

It sounds exactly like you have issues with IC15, 16, 17, 18, and possibly IC11 (though I'm betting its somewhere in those first four). With 06-switches running, 2J2 and 2J3 disconnected you should get 00 in the match display and nothing anywhere else. Take a look at the numbers on the displays and map them to the switch matrix chart in your manual. See if any one entire row or column is shown. Chances are you'll see more than one row or column that will turn up. These rows and columns refer to the pins on 2J2 and 2J3.
The last section in 06-switches.txt ("ABOUT THE MATRIX SWITCHES (and PIA2)" will walk you through tracing signals so you can verify which ones actually need to be replaced, but in my experience IC15 and IC16 fail before IC16 and IC17 ever do. For the price, it's worth replacing all four anyway. Don't forget to install sockets first, it makes life easier.
Sometimes, when IC15 and IC16 fail they cause damage to the pins on IC11. If you replace IC15 through IC18 and the test still fails, you should replace IC11.
As for the lockup issue, that's a bit odd at this stage in the tests.. It may indicate a bad IC11 (or some other chip on the address/data bus), but the tests should continue to run even with a totally dead IC11. If you can properly remove IC11 without damaging it, you could try running the test with IC11 removed. In this case you should get "64" in the match display and numbers from 01 to 12 in all of the player displays - and it should still run forever.

My bet is 15. it was the chip that I suspected before I had the test ROMs. I socked IC16 and it has a new chip. I also socked IC18 and there is a new chip. Not to say those are not bad new chips. Right now ICI7 is the test ROM. so doubt that could be bad here? IC11 is also in a socket so pulling it should be easy.
I have read that having a known working driver board is imperative to this? I do not know if this driver is 100% I have to assume its not. So with that in mind could the driver board be the issue with my switch test failing? Ill try to post some pictures of the display data, it looks like just a bunch of random numbers to me.

Quoted from pincoder:

Do any of the other tests crash if left to run for extended periods? You could try 01a-leds and see if the blink-rate ever "stutters".

I noticed the test lock up on the display test. My computer is in the other room from the games. The hardest part about using the adapter is having to go back and forth to reference the test material. I had game running the display test. I came back after maybe 5 minutes and just one display had the numbers 621 in it the others had stopped. I just power cycled the machine and it started over.

#249 3 years ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

Yes!!! This is super useful! Testing these Williams games without this is a fools errand.

Can I quote you on that? That's an excellent statement, thank you.

The IC numbers I'm referring to are on the driver board. IC17 on the driver board is a 7406.

You don't need a working driver board for these tests.. that's what the tests are designed for.. However, some people have had driver boards that lock up the MPU board. When that happens you can still run MPU board tests with the driver board disconnected, and then reconnect as you go down the list of tests.

Yes, please post some pics of the numbers. At first glance they look seemingly random, but are in fact sequences of two digit numbers starting from the left side of P1 working to the right.. to the right side of P4. if you look at them you will see they are actually sorted from lowest to highest. Each two digit number corresponds to the switch number in the switch matrix. Numbers higher than 64 refer to switches outside the matrix. Those numbers are assigned by me and relate to other switches, like the DIP switches on the MPU board for example.

When the Pincoder Controller comes out, you won't have to run back and forth to your PC to look at the documentation, so hang in there

As for system hangs, disconnect the driver board and run the displays test again to see if it hangs. If so, perhaps you also have a power problem. Check rectifiers and caps etc with respect to the power supply. It's worth mentionting here too that cold solder joints can also be a culprit here, as can the 40 pin connector so if you haven't already, check for both.

If it doesn't hang with the driver board removed then you likely have issues with either the 40-pin connector, and/or the circuits related to the PIAs on the driver board.

#250 3 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

Can I quote you on that? That's an excellent statement, thank you.

You can! lol Looks like there are people on here singing its praise that have vastly more knowledge than I do... But for the novice or hobbiest... they are the cats MEOW! As for the controller add me to the mailing list for release! I'm interested! I'm kinda old school I was just going to print the info and put it in a binder I could sit on the game or bench. Maybe I can load to an old tablet and save paper.

Quoted from pincoder:

The IC numbers I'm referring to are on the driver board. IC17 on the driver board is a 7406.
You don't need a working driver board for these tests.. that's what the tests are designed for.. However, some people have had driver boards that lock up the MPU board. When that happens you can still run MPU board tests with the driver board disconnected, and then reconnect as you go down the list of tests.
Yes, please post some pics of the numbers. At first glance they look seemingly random, but are in fact sequences of two digit numbers starting from the left side of P1 working to the right.. to the right side of P4. if you look at them you will see they are actually sorted from lowest to highest. Each two digit number corresponds to the switch number in the switch matrix. Numbers higher than 64 refer to switches outside the matrix. Those numbers are assigned by me and relate to other switches, like the DIP switches on the MPU board for example.
When the Pincoder Controller comes out, you won't have to run back and forth to your PC to look at the documentation, so hang in there
As for system hangs, disconnect the driver board and run the displays test again to see if it hangs. If so, perhaps you also have a power problem. Check rectifiers and caps etc with respect to the power supply. It's worth mentionting here too that cold solder joints can also be a culprit here, as can the 40 pin connector so if you haven't already, check for both.
If it doesn't hang with the driver board removed then you likely have issues with either the 40-pin connector, and/or the circuits related to the PIAs on the driver board.

Ok this makes sense. I can isolate by disconnecting the two boards and re run test on MPU if it passes problem is with driver board.

As for this... IC11 was one of the old AMI deals. I pulled it as I read they are notoriously bad. Game now shows 00 on match when 2j2 and 2j3 unplugged. I guess I should mention I changed the 40 pin interconnect out of the gate. I also have rebuilt the power supply and it is within spec or at least was when I stared testing... Yes I even put the headers in the correct way... Thanks Craig!!!! Thanks pincoder I am going to proceed with rest of test. As it appears IC11 could be a culprit in the software lock up ill report back on that too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Woolwich Township, NJ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 4,600.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Washington, KY
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Woolwich Township, NJ
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

There are 336 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-williams-system-6-in-game-test-roms/page/5?hl=pincoder and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.