I want to thank pincoder for these test ROMs. And also CFH and others for countless resources over the years getting me to this point in my repair abilities.
A) I had a Pharaoh (sys7) that stopped booting and I was able to:
B) erase and burn my first ROMs ever
C) run successfully test ROM 01a-leds.bin
D) use a logic probe for the first time
E) fix my game
A) My Pharaoh was working great for about a year then it decided to stop booting. Game would fire a random coil/sound at startup and would immediately freeze the 0 on MPU board. GI only - no attract lamps, no displays. 12V and 5V on MPU board tested good. I had previously followed Clay's guide and had done recommended upgrades - 40 pins/connector, new MPU 1J2 connector/header, resolder all headers, driver board R149-R156.
Decided it was finally time to try out my GQ-4X4 rom burner, logic probe and 2532 EPROMS that have been sitting unused in a drawer for between 6 months to 2 years. :-O
B) Not being a recent Windows user I struggled a bit getting the USBPrg software to recognize the GQ-4X4 device. Ah yes, needs a driver installed - been a while since I've done that. Then a youtube video or 2 to see how to burn arcade ROMs with the device. Seemed to work well - it is fun. Burned the first few test ROMs.
C) Popped out the Blue flipper ROM #2 and installed ROM 01a-leds.bin. Did not seem to work. Same results - random coil/sound at startup then would immediately freeze on a randmom digit. Sometimes would just freeze at 0. Twisted some of the socketed chips. No changes.
D) Then with one of the many bootups it started to run its test - digit counted up from 0-9 twice before it crashed. At least I now knew what the test should look like. I could coax it to run briefly maybe 25% of the bootups. I did probe some of the suggested IC pins and was able to at least learn how to use the probe. So, progress. Pulses were matching the test notes at least while test was running and then they'd go hi or lo when things crashed.
E) On a whim I replaced the AMI 6808 CPU at IC1 with the CPU chip from my Cosmic Gunfight. It ran the ROM 01a-leds.bin test perfectly several times in a row!! I seem to recall a Clay/ninja video questioning the long-term viability of these AMI chips. So I put the game ROM back in and things are booting and playing perfectly!!!
So again, thanks to all the repair helpers out there who have taught me stuff over the years. Not much of a "repair", but I did learn a lot today.