(Topic ID: 40964)

New Warm White LEDs from Ablaze/PinballLife PBL (w/comparison pics)

By Pac-Fan

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by vcloverjr
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

final_popbumpers.jpg
    pbl_4smd_compare.jpg
    ablaze_ww_compare.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

After ordering a bunch of cool white LEDs from PBL a month ago, I checked back last week and saw that they now carried warm whites in a few (but not all) styles so I decided to try them out.

Ablaze 1 LED Warm White Frosted and Flat (not available in concave yet)
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1882
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1883

4 SMD "F-ing brite"'s Warm White
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2561

(Available in both bayonet #44/#47 as well as wedge #555's)

I tried the 1 Warm White LEDs in the backbox. They are much warmer than the harsh blueish cool white Ablaze's, but they have a strange pinkish/purplish tint to them. They may be acceptable in a backbox, but don't think they'd work well for PF GI. For the playfield, for sure, the best style I found was the CoinTaker 2 LED frosteds that have a much more incandescent tint and much much larger throw at the base. (See attached picture).

ablaze_ww_compare.jpgablaze_ww_compare.jpg

I then tried the 4 Warm White SMDs in the 3 pop bumpers on my High Speed. I had previously tried the same SMDs as cool white and found them to be too hot "up" so I put in a piece of paper under the center of the of the cap that really helped it distribute it to the sides of the cap and down around the skirt. However the cool whites were really harsh (too blue for me), so I tried the warms, and am quite happy with them. With the paper installed the light diffusion very closely matches a #44 incandescent. (See attached picture)

In fact, for the pop bumpers, since mine are opaque red, I couldn't find any CoinTaker LEDs work anywhere near as well as the 89 cent PBL 4 SMD's, not even the 4 side + 1 top design from them.

pbl_4smd_compare.jpgpbl_4smd_compare.jpg

#2 11 years ago

This is a tough one for me. I really like incandescents. I want to cool down some of my older games and avoid melted plastics etc. I tried Ablaze and Cointaker "warm" and they are just freakin bright.
    I think I will just use 47s until I have time to experiment more.

#3 11 years ago

Looks like CT is the winner with the color and light diffusion.

#4 11 years ago

I like the paper under cap trick. Never seen that before. Have you tried to run that for a period of time? Does it vibrate loose?

#5 11 years ago

I second that paper in the cap idea! I'll have to give that a try!

#6 11 years ago

Pac-Fan

Thanks for going to all that trouble doing this. I learned a lot tonight!!!
    Mike in Kentucky

#7 11 years ago

I use masking tape and just kinda drape it over warm white retros. Pops are one of only a few places I like LEDs.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

This is a tough one for me. I really like incandescents. I want to cool down some of my older games and avoid melted plastics etc. I tried Ablaze and Cointaker "warm" and they are just freakin bright.
    I think I will just use 47s until I have time to experiment more.

Which ones did you try? PBL just got in these warm ones in the last week IIRC. As you can see by the pic, actually none of them are as bright as the #47's in the backbox. I did tons of testing on the backbox and playfield with about 8 different styles from CT, and 3 of them were dimmer than a #47 and 4 were way brighter, only the 2 LED frosted warm whites came close to a #47 in the backbox or a #44 on the PF.

Quoted from exflexer:

Looks like CT is the winner with the color and light diffusion.

Yep, they have the best throw possible due to the heavy frosting, unlike the light frosting on the Ablaze 1 LEDs.

I think I could use the Ablaze warm whites (with a couple well placed cool whites as I have) for my High Speed backbox.. in fact the CT 2 LED WW frosted leaves a small light purple dot behind the red in the center of the letters due to the condensing of the light on the top of the dome. Oddly enough the Ablaze WW 1 LED frosteds that look pinkish with the glass off actually lit up the letters almost perfectly IMO.

However for PF use on the High Speed, I tested lots and the CT 2 LED WW Frosted won by a landslide.

Quoted from Patofnaud:

I like the paper under cap trick. Never seen that before. Have you tried to run that for a period of time? Does it vibrate loose?

I have run it about a month now, and it is quite tight under the cap against the white base plastic. I don't think it will bounce out. I wondered if I got a thin yellow tinted paper I might be able to get the reflection tinted even closer to the incandescent. Since the 4 SMD LEDS are so short, that gives a lot of space to expand and then reflect while still illuminating the center and edge of the cap.

I tried the $1.69 (2x as much) CT 4 side LED + 1 center ones and they were far from the same effect. I think this will only work well with opaque caps. For plain translucents, perhaps a light white spray paint underneath would do a nice job as the paper would be too visible.

Below is the net result of 4 SMD Warm White Ablaze with paper under the cap centers:
    final_popbumpers.jpgfinal_popbumpers.jpg

#9 11 years ago

I ordered the Cointaker #555 warm white retro. Also, I spent a lot for these.

#10 11 years ago

Good application for LEDs; many older pop bumper caps are impossible to find, so it just makes sense to protect them. Thanks for the research!

#11 11 years ago

The cointaker WW retros are the closest to incandescent that i have found. I use them on my older games in the backbox and pops etc. Games such as WW HS Bop Fathom all look good w retros in the backbox and inserts. I never use leds for gi tho. It always looks like hell there imho.

Mike

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

I ordered the Cointaker #555 warm white retro. Also, I spent a lot for these.

Fret not. The warm white retro 555s and 47s are probably the only useful LEDs on the market.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from nocreditdot:

The cointaker WW retros are the closest to incandescent that i have found. I use them on my older games in the backbox and pops etc. Games such as WW HS Bop Fathom all look good w retros in the backbox and inserts. I never use leds for gi tho. It always looks like hell there imho.
    Mike

I agree. I use them only in the Inserts and Pops. No GI's.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-warm-white-leds-from-ablazepinballlife-pbl-wcomparison-pics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.