image-415.jpg
noquotes.PNG
slowMJ_zombie.gif
laugh ass off.gif
the_turd_of_the_dead_by_raskha-d3487rq.jpg
giphy[1].gif
twd.JPG
flyer.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sammiesguys.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#68 9 years ago

I said it when the first review of the game came out last week. What's the point of licensing TWD if you're not going to use the characters? At the time, there were a whole lot of people who seem to just support it being more of a generic zombie pin. That's fine, but TWD is about the characters, not the zombies.

Edit: Also, the reason to license the name is simply to sell games. If you're not using the characters, that's really the only reason.

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Because it's a pinball game...sometimes pinball is better with a simple narrative. If any game were to work with a simple narrative, it's TWD.
-KILL ZOMBIES!
-SURVIVE!
It features scenarios (Well Walker, prison, fish tank, etc) and language from the show (calling the zombies "Walkers", for instance). Even if it's not 100% accurate to the show, the fact that it has "The Walking Dead" title on it means something...it will attract fans of the show to play it. Even non-fans will see "The Walking Dead" and instantly understand what to do - Kill zombies & survive as long as you can.
POTC didn't feature any voices or many storypoints from the movies. Yet it's one of Stern's all-time best selling games. People see it and say "Oh, Pirates, sweet!"...they look at it...the toys are obvious (sink the ship, open the chest)...they play it and have a good time.
I think voices from the license are usually important...for example, not having Peter Cullen as the custom Optimus Prime voice in Transformers was a huge blow to the game - but he's massively iconic to the license. Are any of the human characters THAT iconic to TWD? In this case, I don't think it's a gamekiller IMO.

You can have a simple narrative, and still incorporate the characters. Rick is easily an iconic charater on the show. You could help Rick clear the prison yard (which is what he does anyway). His picture is featured prominently on the side of the pro. To me, if he's not in the game, it's simply getting much closer to being a generic zombie game with nods to the show, and not a TWD themed pinball machine.

It might not bother some people, but not having show characters will bother me. It also may be a fun game, and appeal to casual players. That's fine, I just won't be particularly interested in buying one.

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Yes, Merle, Rick, The Governer are all iconic to TWD. TWD is all about the characters and their interactions.

To me, this would be like licensing Star Trek, and then just having you battle a bunch of different aliens. It's no longer truly Star Trek, it could almost be called Battle Beyond the Stars. What's the point of having a Star Trek pin if you don't use the characters?

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

TWD would be literally nothing without Rick and most of the other characters. An hour long show showing zombies killing random people who never interact wouldn't get past the pilot stage. TWD is a classic "serial" show complete with cliffhangers almost every other week and especially at the end of each season. The zombies are secondary and just a series of antagonists. The clever use of them in weird situations (well zombie, bicycle girl, etc.) are just icing on the cake.
I was so excited for this title and ready to deal my LOTR for it. I hope I am wrong.

I agree. I was really excited at first, but I've tempered that until I see more. It could still be a great game, but it could also be a waste of TWD theme IMO. But it's still too early to tell what the case is, and it's only pinball.

#223 9 years ago

I wonder if they're going to make up some bad guy human characters as well. In the last two seasons of TWD, I would guess that as many people have been killed by other humans as have been killed by zombies.

#253 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

As for Stern's reasons not to put lines from the show into the game as well as no reference to any of the characters...

Money.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 16.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sammiesguys.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-walking-dead-video?tu=sammiesguys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.