Topic Stats

• 396 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by coasterguy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0843.JPG
zombie_dead_rising2_1xl.jpg
FM-62408-2.jpg
neo-mod.jpg
HP124197-2.jpg
201209006full.jpg
Lastman.png
image-920.jpg
image-415.jpg
noquotes.PNG
slowMJ_zombie.gif
laugh ass off.gif
the_turd_of_the_dead_by_raskha-d3487rq.jpg
giphy[1].gif
twd.JPG
flyer.JPG

There are 396 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.
#251 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

In general yes, but not always. If it's a timeless subject already and proven so, like Addams Family and TZ. Then use the series and implement it well. TWD hasn't been around long enough to know how timeless it will or will not be. Stern is scared to go with anything not licensed. I think they are trying to cover there ass in both aspects with this one. Which I think is a great idea.

The art package, layout and toys is one of the better ones i've seen out of Stern. I havn't played it, so I can't judge on gameplay or rules. Until I get 50+ games in it, I can't say if it sucks or it's great. Many games out there look great, but suck because of rules or layout. Many games out there look terrible, but are fun as shit.

I totally understand where you are coming from, but I personally am not looking for something that is trying to be everything, I actually want this to be specific to the theme that they used for licensing, because obviously I'm a fan. I want to see my favorite characters and hear them, hear sounds from the show etc. Metallica and AC/DC etc. are very specific and sold very well and had only one audience in mind, and I am glad Stern does this, just wish they had done it with TWD.

#252 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

In general yes, but not always. If it's a timeless subject already and proven so, like Addams Family and TZ. Then use the series and implement it well. TWD hasn't been around long enough to know how timeless it will or will not be. Stern is scared to go with anything not licensed. I think they are trying to cover there ass in both aspects with this one. Which I think is a great idea.
The art package, layout and toys is one of the better ones i've seen out of Stern. I havn't played it, so I can't judge on gameplay or rules. Until I get 50+ games in it, I can't say if it sucks or it's great. Many games out there look great, but suck because of rules or layout. Many games out there look terrible, but are fun as shit.

I hear ya. I can see Stern trying to cover their butts with this one based on what you described. However, by not including any call outs from the actual show they are alienating fans of the show. A good compromise in my opinion would be Stern hiring a guy like Norman Reedus to do custom callouts (or at least pull in show lines) and offer those callouts and the announcer guy as an option in the games service menu. With the LE having it's main toy an interactive crossbow it would be fitting to have Daryl Dixon lines in the game.

#253 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

As for Stern's reasons not to put lines from the show into the game as well as no reference to any of the characters...

Money.

#254 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

That's a BS answer. RGB means millions of colors. 1000s of different shades of red alone. Throw in some rust, browns, dark blues, dark anything really. It's a cost cutting move, not a design decision.

Colored inserts don't cost anything more than non colored inserts. The only Pro that's had color changing inserts is ST, and that only had the Starfleet inserts as color changers. Seems like an aesthetic decision that this Pro has so many white inserts. Seems like a Borg thing...Metallica & X-Men also had lots of white inserts.

Don't think there's a conspiracy here.

#255 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Fuzzy video, pops looked fine, I saw no SDTM issues, or lh lane drains. Looks like you can keep the ball in play for awhile. I agree, code looks newly minted, so updates can improve that, dmd looks nice and graphic.
Game hardly looks 'horrible' or 'uninspired'. Looks like Borg went with a layout that can have speed on the outlanes if hit correctly and besides, this is the pro, not the LE, so this is the stripped version.
Music sounds dark yet energetic.

And there in lies the problem, if sterns intention is to not have a premium this title may flop since the le only accounts for a very small fraction of buyers. In order for a game to be successful it needs to be a knockout with the pro if no premium is available. If the game flops there will more than likely be less urgency to put a lot of time into code. These are just my opinions

#256 4 years ago
Quoted from nighttaco:

I totally understand where you are coming from, but I personally am not looking for something that is trying to be everything, I actually want this to be specific to the theme that they used for licensing, because obviously I'm a fan. I want to see my favorite characters and hear them, hear sounds from the show etc. Metallica and AC/DC etc. are very specific and sold very well and had only one audience in mind, and I am glad Stern does this, just wish they had done it with TWD.

Maybe they had no choice? Maybe AMC said you can use zombie models from the show, some artwork and the name and that is it?

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I hear ya. I can see Stern trying to cover their butts with this one based on what you described. However, by not including any call outs from the actual show they are alienating fans of the show. A good compromise in my opinion would be Stern hiring a guy like Norman Reedus to do custom callouts (or at least pull in show lines) and offer those callouts and the announcer guy as an option in the games service menu. With the LE having it's main toy an interactive crossbow it would be fitting to have Daryl Dixon lines in the game.

I agree it would be a good compromise, but what if AMC's contract with the actors states the cannot represent the characters without AMCs approval, and AMC won't approve it? What if Norman Reedus doesn't want to do it, or wants a ton of money to do it?

It is possible that Stern made the decision they thought was best based on information none of us know about, and they are not setting out to crush people's expectations.

#257 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Colored inserts don't cost anything more than non colored inserts. The only Pro that's had color changing inserts is ST, and that only had the Starfleet inserts as color changers. Seems like an aesthetic decision that this Pro has so many white inserts. Seems like a Borg thing...Metallica & X-Men also had lots of white inserts.
Don't think there's a conspiracy here.

So you think they had the option to go RGB on the arrows for the PRO but didn't because of an aesthetic decision? Not only that, but they decided to forego that aesthetic decision for the LE and add color? Ok.

It was a cost cutting move or an artificial way to differentiate the LE. That's it...it wasn't an aesthetic decision.

#258 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm not saying not to have the call outs by the original actors. Call outs will not break the zombie feel. You have to have someone call it out stuff. If it's the actors, then you have fans of the show excited. If your just a zombie fan, your not going to know the difference anyway, so it doesn't matter. That's why the voice call outs don't really matter as much for keeping it neutral. It's all in the art package and how the rules are done which can keep it neutral or not.

#259 4 years ago

The answers to these questions are important to me to make me a buyer and its unfortunate we may never know. If I have a friend over playing TWD pin and they ask me why the sounds clips aren't of the actual actors in the show I can only speculate with what the truth is. Is it because Stern wanted to make a "timeless" zombie pin or is it an issue with AMC. Its tough to pay ~$4800 for a pin and only speculate on why the finished product is the way it is.

Quoted from paul_8788:

Maybe they had no choice? Maybe AMC said you can use zombie models from the show, some artwork and the name and that is it?

I agree it would be a good compromise, but what if AMC's contract with the actors states the cannot represent the characters without AMCs approval, and AMC won't approve it? What if Norman Reedus doesn't want to do it, or wants a ton of money to do it?
It is possible that Stern made the decision they thought was best based on information none of us know about, and they are not setting out to crush people's expectations.

#260 4 years ago

I don't understand Sterns marketing. First impressions are everything. With weak code, and videos like this, it really doesn't inspire me to jump on the bandwagon to go buy one, and by the time code does come out that is decent, two more games are out.
Crazy way to run a business.
Oh well, my wait continues. Maybe the next game.

#261 4 years ago

Why do you guys have theories on Stern omitting real voice work?

Artistic preservation of a zombie theme? lol

If a company still using a DMD ships games without spinners, RGB insert, PF supports or complete code why would you expect them to add real actor voice work to the BOM?

"The Big Buck Hunter redneck voice helps make TWD timeless without alienating a fan base"

No, it's because that shit costs money & takes time.

It's like a 2012 WOZ thread in here with some of the theories I'm reading

Game still looks damn cool. Hope the sounds, dots & rules become EPIC!

#262 4 years ago

For what it's worth..

I've never watched an episode of The Walked Dead..and had barely heard about the show before the rumors started flying about the pin. I still have not watched it...

My favorite movies growing up was the Dead series...Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Return of the Living Dead... etc.

I pre-ordered an LE before the announcement because it was a Zombie theme and not specifically TWD.

The more generic..the better!

#263 4 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

If a company still using a DMD ships games without spinners, RGB insert, PF supports or complete code why would you expect them to add real actor voice work to the BOM?
"The Big Buck Hunter redneck voice helps make TWD timeless without alienating a fan base"

This/\

Because Stern cares about your resale value in 10 years

#264 4 years ago

They put the actors all over the pro cabinet so weren't really focused on making a generic, timeless zombie pin. I have to believe that not using the actors voices came down to the licensing fees or terms. Hopefully they will improve the callouts from the voice actors to mimic some memorable quotes from the show. It would be easy to pick things that would still relate to the game play and appeal to someone that's not a fan.

#265 4 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

For what it's worth..
I've never watched an episode of The Walked Dead..and had barely heard about the show before the rumors started flying about the pin. I still have not watched it...
My favorite movies growing up was the Dead series...Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Return of the Living Dead... etc.
I pre-ordered an LE before the announcement because it was a Zombie theme and not specifically TWD.

I can see the appeal then for someone that is not a huge Walking Dead fan and wants a more generic zombie theme pin. With my wife and I being big fans of the show I was ready to pre-order an LE. However, after hearing that not a single character in the show would be represented in the game and hearing the announcer guy call outs I decided not to order. The characters in TWD are a huge reason why the show is so good. If Star Trek or LOTR didn't have the actors from those movies represented in the game and instead Stern went after all sci-fi and fantasy fans both games wouldn't be considered nearly as good as they are today in my opinion.

#266 4 years ago

You can all thank AMC for being so reasonable with the TWD license. Don't you think Stern would have used, at the very least, soundclips from the show if they were allowed to? Don't you think they would have used the original music of the show?
Both things could be cheaply done if it weren't for AMC wanting money for every little seperate bit of TWD.

But don't you forget slapping the AMC logo on the machine nice and large! We don't want anyone to forget who's bitch TWD is.
This isn't like Breaking Bad where, sadly, Sony was the owner and one could not nickel and dime every inch of the show. No, TWD is all AMC's and they will sqeeze every last penny out of the show in fear it's going out of style.

But yeah, go shit all over Stern because they clearly don't care about the licenses they are using. It's not like AC/DC and Metallica are very good pins with many nice details every fan of the bands would appreciate. Oh, wait!

#267 4 years ago

For what it's worth..

I just cant figure out why they plaster AMC on the machine and put the characters all over the cabinet and backbox and then not have one of there voices on the game? I could see not wanting to pay them to record special callouts, but they could have used the announcers voice and picked out some good drops from the show. To me if you were not going to use character voices from the show, mambe they should have went with the comic book theme instead. I was pumped when I heard the rumors were true that Stern was making Twd, even more after seeing pics, but after seeing the videos I can't figure out what happened? Still have high hopes but running out of steam.

#268 4 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

I just cant figure out why they plaster AMC on the machine and put the characters all over the cabinet and backbox and then not have one of there voices on the game? I could see not wanting to pay them to record special callouts, but they could have used the announcers voice and picked out some good drops from the show. To me if you were not going to use character voices from the show, mambe they should have went with the comic book theme instead. I was pumped when I heard the rumors were true that Stern was making Twd, even more after seeing pics, but after seeing the videos I can't figure out what happened? Still have high hopes but running out of steam.

This...

#269 4 years ago

This.

WTF does saying 'this' do? Ridiculous.

#270 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

There are many many people out there, that have not seen the show.

I pity the fools.

BTW if you don't like AMC, just pretend it stands for one of these:

Animated Malevolent Corpse
Aimless Miserable Corpse
Alarmingly Mobile Corpse

#271 4 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Yes. Just like Stern didn't use clips or actors voices on Star Trek.

The fact that they didn't do it on this pin, but have done it on other pins, leads me to believe that something must be different with the license for this pin. Either not allowed, or cost prohibitive. It is possible that they had the chance to use clips and had full access to Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus but decided to screw it because they hate all Pinsiders, but it doesn't seem likely.

#272 4 years ago

It's gotta be a license thing...

I'm guessing it's gotta be way cheaper to use existing clips than to create originals.

Quoted from crlush:

#273 4 years ago

Even if Stern wanted to make a "timeless" pin, or if audio was too expensive for them to purchase... one thing stands out in my mind. These generic callouts picked by Stern for TWD sound like crap to my ears. They could have done a much better job using generic callouts. There is nobody else to lay blame on for that (although I'm sure someone will make up a new theory for it).

I'm hoping the sound evolves with the code, this could be a really cool pin.

#275 4 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Please explain Star Trek then.

Not only does it have actual voice clips from the film, it has *custom* voice work from one of the actors.

Not exactly consistent with your above theory.

#276 4 years ago

Maybe, not really sure, but just maybe Stern isn't done with this pin yet? Surely their track record wouldn't indicate that would it?

Last time I checked the custom voice work in ST came much later. Just sayin

#277 4 years ago

So any guesses when the next code update will be.

#278 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Maybe, not really sure, but just maybe Stern isn't done with this pin yet? Surely their track record wouldn't indicate that would it?
Last time I checked the custom voice work in ST came much later. Just sayin

Yes, but did they say this about ST? Seems pretty unambiguous to me.

noquotes.PNG

#279 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Please explain Star Trek then.
Not only does it have actual voice clips from the film, it has *custom* voice work from one of the actors.
Not exactly consistent with your above theory.

The only thing I can think of is that the team making TWD didn't have the money if their budget to get the voice license. Maybe each pins budget is directly impacted by how well previous tables have sold? The last Stern before TWD to be released was Mustang. That game didn't seem to sell particularly well. Maybe the lower sales resulted in the budget for TWD to be lower. Same goes with Metallica. That game may have had a higher budget because ACDC sold so well. As a result more money may have been available for things like metal ramps and rails at the pro level and extra unique toys at the premium and LE level. We have seen previous game sales affecting the budget of future titles in the Williams era. I remember reading somewhere that TZ was allowed to be made as it is today because it had such a large budget after the success of TAF.

#280 4 years ago

From Stern's facebook:

''...The team from AMC has been working with us through the entire project to ensure a great Walking Dead experience''

really? i don't think so! all i see are 2 walkers (wellverine and bicycle girl, where's the damn bicycle?) and face of the actors on the cab.

the rest could come from any zombie theme.

what they meant is; we've been working together to make sure everybody knows the game is from AMC by adding AMC logos everywhere.

#281 4 years ago

Star Trek voice work was prolly an attempt to boost a flop ass game & Stern was lucky one of the actors liked pinball... They still botched the volume of the voice work lol.

ST & TWD are on my wishlist so don't get an argument boner guys.

I'm just saying no one in a meeting got all philosophical about TWD voice work & opted to use a redneck. They might do voice work later on if TWD shits the bed, who knows.

#282 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

The answers to these questions are important to me to make me a buyer and its unfortunate we may never know. If I have a friend over playing TWD pin and they ask me why the sounds clips aren't of the actual actors in the show I can only speculate with what the truth is. Is it because Stern wanted to make a "timeless" zombie pin or is it an issue with AMC. Its tough to pay ~$4800 for a pin and only speculate on why the finished product is the way it is.

Probably costs way way more to get the license to have all this. If it were free they would be in the game!

#283 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

This is working out better than I imagined, no call outs, no cheesy pinball references that ruined Metallica for me.

Same for me. Quotes can be fun, but I don't like the ones on Metallica, which to me is (beside the callouts) a fine game as far as I've experienced. Better no call outs than ones that I don't like (but hey... that's different to different people).

#284 4 years ago

If they don't address the audio call outs it will be a bummer but won't stop me from picking up my machine.

Audio studio work is something I have been doing for many years I'll just create custom callouts that correspond to the modes and game play.

I'll put up a link of the call out previews when completed and if anyone wishes to have them I'll send a private link for them to download the new image for updating their machines, NO CHARGE it will be FREE for anyone who wants it.

All of course providing that Pinball Browser will access the games code image.

#285 4 years ago
Quoted from Gribbs:

WTF does saying 'this' do? Ridiculous.

This.

#286 4 years ago

For what it's worth..

I'm right with you on that one. I LOVE old horror movies and I do watch TWD and like it but I'm so glad it is a generic zombie pin too.

#288 4 years ago

if your paying for the rights of something. It seems logical that you would also be able to use whatever sound clips you wanted from that license. Custom work I can see being a problem, but there is so much dialogue they have to choose from, i'm sure they can wing it.

#289 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

if your paying for the rights of something. It seems logical that you would also be able to use whatever sound clips you wanted from that license. Custom work I can see being a problem, but there is so much dialogue they have to choose from, i'm sure they can wing it.

From what it sounds like, license holders can really be a pain in the ass to deal with.

#290 4 years ago

sometimes they can. I'm sure JJP was after this license as well, and Jack might have created a bidding war, which in return would make Gary negotiate to omit more from the license.

#291 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

sometimes they can. I'm sure JJP was after this license as well, and Jack might have created a bidding war, which in return would make Gary negotiate to omit more from the license.

why are you so sure this happened? or is this more wild speculation on your behalf?

#292 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

^^^ funny stuff.

#293 4 years ago

We need a Bowen tutorial to see what the game can be.

#294 4 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

We need a Bowen tutorial to see what the game can be.

A tutorial doesn't make any sense based on beta code.

#295 4 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

I've started pulling some sound bytes and will be tackling this. Here's some examples, not all will be used but some will work perfectly. I of course can't take any money
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/85245931/FileChute/Walking%20Dead%20Sound%20Bytes.mp3

Your are the man
Those are great!!!!

#296 4 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Star Trek voice work was prolly an attempt to boost a flop ass game & Stern was lucky one of the actors liked pinball... They still botched the volume of the voice work lol.
ST & TWD are on my wishlist so don't get an argument boner guys.
I'm just saying no one in a meeting got all philosophical about TWD voice work & opted to use a redneck. They might do voice work later on if TWD shits the bed, who knows.

If you consider Star Trek a "flop ass game" why would you put it on your wish list if you clearly don't care for it?

#297 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

LOL...Jack has said that TWD licensees courted HIM and he immediately said no because it wasn't family friendly. Maybe they told Stern "so and so bid x, do you want to bid y" and Stern bought it, but I doubt anything like that happened.

#298 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

LOL...Jack has said that TWD licensees courted HIM and he immediately said no because it wasn't family friendly. Maybe they told Stern "so and so bid x, do you want to bid y" and Stern bought it, but I doubt anything like that happened.

Or maybe you're both just guessing and know absolutely nothing about how this all went down?

#299 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

A huge franchise like TWD "courts" no one, everyone courts them. The small royalty they will get out of pinball is a drop in the bucket next to the revenue from just one episode's commercials.

#300 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_erie:

A huge franchise like TWD "courts" no one, everyone courts them. The small royalty they will get out of pinball is a drop in the bucket next to the revenue from just one episode's commercials.

The first glaring problem with his statement was the source...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 19.95
Machine - For Sale
Charlton, MA
4,550 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Golden, CO
$ 235.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 396 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside