Topic Stats

• 396 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by coasterguy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0843.JPG
zombie_dead_rising2_1xl.jpg
FM-62408-2.jpg
neo-mod.jpg
HP124197-2.jpg
201209006full.jpg
Lastman.png
image-920.jpg
image-415.jpg
noquotes.PNG
slowMJ_zombie.gif
laugh ass off.gif
the_turd_of_the_dead_by_raskha-d3487rq.jpg
giphy[1].gif
twd.JPG
flyer.JPG

There are 396 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.
#201 4 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

WOZ! Mine just would continually pop it back through the lanes(even though not technically pop bumpers), was SO annoying. I could never make it stop completely without turning off that pop lane thing they had up there.

Mine too. I could go have a beer. At least turn it off when the lanes multiplier MAXes out.

#202 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Mine too. I could go have a beer. At least turn it off when the lanes multiplier MAXes out.

It's a 15 second fix. Gap the leaf Basically the same as any sling would be.

#203 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Cool thanks!

Back to The Walking Dead! I'm still bummed no voice clips, someone with experience with pinball browser can take my money if they create kick ass alternative sounds with clips from the show AND the actual theme music! I will pay for it.

#204 4 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Lol, that was my attitude from the beginning. I agree that most if not all of the main charactors are or will be dead so why put them in. If another Walking Dead series comes out with different characters this pin won't be so dated will it?

The comic is now in it's 11th year and I think 5 of the main characters are still alive... and I have a feeling they won't kill one they did in the comic or Daryl (who wasn't in the comic).

#205 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

You can do the same with the leaf switches on the pop bumpers. Basically adjust to whatever sensitivity you want. Time bouncing around in the pop bumpers on TWD should not be an issue, though too many shots dumping into them might be if you don't like the way it affects game flow.

Post edited by Jvspin: Added "bouncing around" to clarify meaning.

#206 4 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

You can do the same with the leaf switches on the pop bumpers. Basically adjust to whatever sensitivity you want. Time in the pop bumpers on TWD should not be an issue, though too many shots dumping into them might be if you don't like the way it affects game flow.

That was what i was getting at. It seems like a ton of shots end up there. You can make the pops less sensitive absolutely.

#207 4 years ago

One thing to consider; what IF Lyman "knows" that it sucks for a PRO to not have RGB lights, and because of this, he chose WHITE inserts, so that YOU can put in the exact coloring YOU want, when you buy the pro.

That would be kind of clever of him wouldn't it?

Also, the pop bumpers strengths can be varied, tweaked, etc - this means code can actually alter how long the balls are up there; they could simply shut off, after X time, or under Y circumstance, or the lower right pop bumper could be stopped if Z.

I do think that Lyman not only knows what he's doing, but that he knows a lot of people are expecting godly things of him on this; i doubt it will be more than a month from now, before this code is so done that its very playable. Why? Because of pinball competitions; the consensus seems to be, if Lyman has a finger in the code, they want it on the competitions asap, so naturally this means the machine must have some sort of decent code.

Besides, he learns from his mistakes; so yes he might be busy, but you don't go about making a ruleset without setting a goal for that ruleset - and it seems to me that the goal for this ruleset, is somewhat deep - which means thats if only 50% of it is implemented now, then we have no clue of what it really is supposed to be, or how that will change the game.

Case and point; Metallica. I (and most others) hated it in the beginning, but now, it has code that makes the machine almost impossible to find used at a decent price. Its just that much fun to play.

Think about how much code means; If AC/DC didn't have progressive song jackpots, would it less fun? no - it wouldn't be fun at all. Thats what holds it together.

If Metallica didn't have the 2x scoring rules with the picks, those multi balls wouldn't be half as fun - and the crank it up mode is precisely hard enough to get so that you sweat when you're in it, but you don't sweat getting to it, until you're almost there; its perfect.

For now, look at the various game videos of the game and think about this;

Prison; Don't you think that magnet up there is supposed to do something else, than just hold the ball? Like Sparky didn't do anything but hold the ball in the beginning, but now it tosses it around?

The shot to the plunger; This, i suspect will become a major strategic element in the game, if not, then why have it ? I doubt its there "just because they can".

The bumpers being so active; Look at the play videos on the net, some of them get jackpots from the bumpers = so they must be an integral part of gameplay; maybe its possible to either get bigger jackpots from there, or increase a jackpots value, during multi ball = then it suddenly makes sense.

Another thing i noticed, which COULD be a bug, but i think might be a feature; If you see this video

and notice his bonus count; he gets for instance ( can't remember exactly ) 4 million bonus, when it counts up = but then it shows total bonus as being 2.2 million. Like something was subtracted; maybe theres a penalty rule here we don't know about?

Also, the players skills playing, will majorly affect how a game is viewed. Case and point, go search for metallica 1.5 code - and see someone else playing, then see Keith Elwin playing - when Keiths playing it looks entertaining and massively cool - each shot hits, releases a feature, the lights go off, great callouts, scores, jackpots etc = when random guy X shoots, theres alooooot of waiting time, a lot of no-clue-play, alot of balls aimlessly hitting stuff that doesn't really do anything = which all translates into a boring game.

So yes, there are missed opportunities here, as there are in ALL games - but these are easier to spot when you don't know what the good stuff is.

As someone mentioned in this thread = what if the characters change in the next season(s) of the show, then this pin would seem dated once they move on, if it had the original cast as callout.

I think that nailed it - Yes, the guy atm sounds like an ass, but if all the other callouts gets integrated and they're cool, then either they will change him too, or he will simply not be worth changing as so much other good stuff is going on; and in the end, you will have a pin that doesn't need someone to have seen the show, all they need to know is that there are walkers, and they need to die = win for everyone.

So i think a lot of thought HAS gone into this pin, and i think a lot of you forget that when you sit in your chair, with a coke in reach and nothing better to do.

So yes, post the negative, but try to find the positive too ; I bet you all that Lyman, Gary, Borg, and more ARE reading what we write, simply because this IS one of the bigger communities within pinball, so instead of trash talking it- try to be constructive, and try to point out ways that the current state of what you just saw, could be improved, without that being something that requires re-engineering, or costly changes.

A lot can be done by simply twisting someone else's idea, with a unique way of thinking.

Heres my contribution to the idea making;

Make a mode where the aim is to hit the obvious "bad" targets, like well walker, prison, stand up targets, drop targets, bumpers in order to kill walkers closing in on your friends = but if you hit the main shots (ramps, orbits, etc) you will accidentally hit one of those friends you're trying to safeguard, where each main shot represents a character = which will then subtract / punish you.

That could be quite cool.

#208 4 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Cool thanks!
Back to The Walking Dead! I'm still bummed no voice clips, someone with experience with pinball browser can take my money if they create kick ass alternative sounds with clips from the show AND the actual theme music! I will pay for it.

I've started pulling some sound bytes and will be tackling this. Here's some examples, not all will be used but some will work perfectly. I of course can't take any money

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/85245931/FileChute/Walking%20Dead%20Sound%20Bytes.mp3

#209 4 years ago

I just figured out something by watching the videos again - some of you might know this, but those that don't ;

You build up the bumper jackpot, by .. having a ball in the bumpers, - once its been hit enough, you collect the jackpot, by shooting the right orbit shot, to the bumpers.

From what i can see ( but I'm not 100% on this ) only a shot that goes through the bumpers, will then collect the jackpot, if it gets stuck, it simply builds up on the next jackpot - but you won't collect it, until you fire the ball through the orbit to the right, passing the bumpers.

That shot and jackpot can then be doubled ofcourse- and it seems to me ( again not 100% sure ) that the faster you collect it, the bigger it is.

Also, I'm wondering - but haven't been able to finally figure it out yet, if BIT is the penalty; if you notice the DMD you get a BIT value, which adds to another value, and from what i can tell, that value COULD be the value that gets subtracted at your bonus count, which could explain why there is a subtraction value at all.

If thats true, that shows promise for some quite cool rules, so far.

#210 4 years ago

This thing is a turd. Next game will be Mustangs vs Zombies.

#211 4 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

This thing is a turd. Next game will be Mustangs vs Zombies.

That's the "mystery" mode on Mustang: you rack up points by running over as many zombies as you can.

Quoted from nintendo:

What the heck is up with the music? I was expecting something a little more "zombie."

You'd think the game's soundtrack would include She's Not There and Tell Her No and Time of the Season.

#212 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

That's the "mystery" mode on Mustang: you rack up points by running over as many zombies as you can.

LMAO

#214 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Maybe because of the theme. Red & white make sense. It's not WOZ...you don't need rainbows on TWD

That's a BS answer. RGB means millions of colors. 1000s of different shades of red alone. Throw in some rust, browns, dark blues, dark anything really. It's a cost cutting move, not a design decision.

#215 4 years ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

Man that looks slow and boring.

I would have to agree. I think they took the stereotypical slow moving zombie a bit toooo far.

slowMJ_zombie.gif

#216 4 years ago

Alright, just listened to the music on my desktop and it doesn't sound bad at all. Sounded horrible on my phone so go figure. It has a nice little beat every now and then. Will catch on nicely and at least there's no goofy sounding tunes which would ruin the game.

#217 4 years ago
Quoted from nintendo:

Alright, just listened to the music on my desktop and it doesn't sound bad at all. Sounded horrible on my phone so go figure. It has a nice little beat every now and then. Will catch on nicely and at least there's no goofy sounding tunes which would ruin the game.

The fake southern accent on the call out's are kinda funny..

#218 4 years ago

Someone should dump the code so we can crack it open with the pinball browser.

#219 4 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Someone should dump the code so we can crack it open with the pinball browser.

Yes, someone should. Please PM me if you or anyone does.

#221 4 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

The fake southern accent on the call out's are kinda funny..

yeaah... funny if you're not a fan of the show? Voice is a total flop on this one. Can you imagine a Metallica pin if Stern didn't use their music? That's what TWD sounds like to me. I'm disgusted at this point, and frankly shocked they didn't go the distance to get some custom voices from the actors that they have on the cab. WTF.

#222 4 years ago
Quoted from rockotaco1:

These videos are making me very glad I didn't order one.

And we are glad too. Geezus.

Bunch of whiners.

My friend said there were rick grimes and Daryl Dixon call outs when he played it. It was an LE.

#223 4 years ago

I wonder if they're going to make up some bad guy human characters as well. In the last two seasons of TWD, I would guess that as many people have been killed by other humans as have been killed by zombies.

#224 4 years ago

Even my shite cell phone records higher than 240p...

#225 4 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

I've started pulling some sound bytes and will be tackling this. Here's some examples, not all will be used but some will work perfectly. I of course can't take any money
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/85245931/FileChute/Walking%20Dead%20Sound%20Bytes.mp3

Hilarious! My Game Over call out is gonna be:
"Time for you to leave, @$$hole"

Any other recommendations?

#226 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

And we are glad too. Geezus.
Bunch of whiners.
My friend said there were rick grimes and Daryl Dixon call outs when he played it. It was an LE.

No shit. Come on ladies, WTF is wrong with you people. This game is gonna kick ass!

#227 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Wouldn't that be inconsistent with what Stern said on it's Facebook page?

#228 4 years ago

My sound bytes of choice:
Outlane = "CARL!?!?"
Skill shot made = "headshot!"
Outlane #2 = "look at the flowers"
Drain = Rick crying "No No No" (from wife's death scene)
I will try my hand in pinball browser here this weekend. I think these firmware files are around 70mb right?

#229 4 years ago
Quoted from nighttaco:

I seem to get the feeling from what I've seen of the game that whoever was all involved in making it weren't big fans of the show. I just don't see a lot of connection to the show that would make me want to own it. It does seem like you could have not done the license and just make it generic if you were going to go this route. And the voice is a joke, they have to fix that crap...

I think that is the point. They want to connect it to the show, but only very little. Because you want the theme to be timeless. 10 years from now, people arn't going to give a shit about TWD. But with it being focused on the zombies, now it's just a great zombie game. (if it's good that is)

#230 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Hilarious! My Game Over call out is gonna be:
"Time for you to leave, @$$hole"
Any other recommendations?

Right now I am pulling any sound bytes I think might be usable in a certain way, there will be hundreds. From there I will examine the code in pinball browser and start to see what works.
I see a lot of potential quotes from the show that will work great though.

Fighting Walkers Daryl says "We can't take them all on"
Ball drains Rick says "Sh!# Happens"
Tilt Warning Merl says "Nothing personal here, but you're going to have to step back"
Start of a mode Merl says "Nut up already boy"
High Score Merl says "Haha....this is too good"

Lots of ways to make the sound better in this game.

#231 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I think that is the point. They want to connect it to the show, but only very little. Because you want the theme to be timeless. 10 years from now, people arn't going to give a shit about TWD. But with it being focused on the zombies, now it's just a great zombie game. (if it's good that is)

They are doing a VERY good job connecting it very little indeed... And I totally disagree with you, Games like Pirates of the Carribean, Transformers, Batman movie titles etc. didn't have to be timeless and are still great games, BSD is a great game that people love and who the hell has watched that movie in 15 years? So it can totally tie into the show and be a great pin instead of being a vague "zombie" pin.

#232 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I'd like to see someone who buys a TWD this year still have it 10 years from now. There is only so much of the theme song and zombie eating people sound bytes the human ear can consume. I also don't know if you're referring to "timeless" being just the lack of sound bytes from the show. If that was the case they should of had two sound byte packages people could choose from: "sound from the show" and "generic/timeless"

#233 4 years ago
Quoted from nighttaco:

They are doing a VERY good job connecting it very little indeed... And I totally disagree with you, Games like Pirates of the Carribean, Transformers, Batman movie titles etc. didn't have to be timeless and are still great games, BSD is a great game that people love and who the hell has watched that movie in 15 years? So it can totally tie into the show and be a great pin instead of being a vague "zombie" pin.

Why don't we think sound bytes from the actors of the show would be added in a future update? Was there an official statementing saying this or am I missing something?

#234 4 years ago
Quoted from nighttaco:

but this is a TV show, not an epic timeless movie. Pirates did an ok job at keeping the actors out of the pin. TF did a great job of not putting actors in it and keep it about transformers, which has already earned it's epic status over the past 25 years. If they would have plastered Ladouche's face all over the playfield and cabinet, it wouldn't have been as timeless.

#235 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Why don't we think sound bytes from the actors of the show won't be added in a future update? Was there an official statementing saying this or am I missing something?

Yes, that was from Sterns FB page, hopefully that changes as this is my dream theme game!

#236 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

but this is a TV show, not an epic timeless movie. Pirates did an ok job at keeping the actors out of the pin. TF did a great job of not putting actors in it and keep it about Transformers, which has already earned it's epic status over the past 25 years. If they would have plastered Ladouche's face all over the playfield and cabinet, it wouldn't have been as timeless.

Times have changed, this is the era of these kind of shows being what we are attached to. Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, THE SOPRANOS! So it's not just about movies anymore, and yes it can totally be timeless.

#237 4 years ago
Quoted from nighttaco:

Yes, that was from Sterns FB page, hopefully that changes as this is my dream theme game!

ah "STERN PINBALL, INC. No Derek Musket. The game has all original characters and call outs! The team is working hard on code daily.
Yesterday at 5:55pm "

So its new fake characters in the existing fake TWD environment. Interesting...

#238 4 years ago

yes, but with keeping the focus on the zombie aspect. your opening up a broader range of people that will be interested. If you focus on everything from the show, actors and what not, only the fans of the show will really appreciate it. By keeping it vague zombie. You open up the doors for zombie fans in general, and TWD fans. Better marketing by Stern to do it that way.

#239 4 years ago

But do you have any idea how many people love TWD? It's not an isolated group, they have plenty of an audience, and do you really think Stern gives a rats ass about the game 10 years from now?

#240 4 years ago

Wow we all differ on what's right and wrong, I guess that's why manufacturers avoid the mob. I really believe the flesh tone art is right, the music is bang on, the call outs from the southern dude also fit the theme, it's a supposed to be a bit over the top but it fits. Lastly the dots are first rate..reminds me of Williams stuff. The things that they didn't get right are only the toys IMO, OK maybe the LEDs need a little more work too but that's it.

#241 4 years ago

Its a zombie pin and they licensed the TWD theme. Its technically not a TWD pin in and out.

#242 4 years ago

More a vague prison game.

#243 4 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

More a vague prison game.

#244 4 years ago

This is where their marketing is poor, confusing and upsets people though. They're selling it like a tried and true TWD pin when its really not. Its a zombie pin utilizing a lot of attributes from the show, but also will feature original non TWD show content.

#245 4 years ago
Quoted from nighttaco:

But do you have any idea how many people love TWD? It's not an isolated group, they have plenty of an audience, and do you really think Stern gives a rats ass about the game 10 years from now?

That's not the point. What's a bigger range?

Fans of TWD. Or Fans of TWD + Zombie fans?

Which one you think is bigger? Why not focus on both audiences? There are many many people out there, that have not seen the show. As you saw earlier with my spoiler alerts and creating an angry mob.

#246 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

That's not the point. What's a bigger range?

Fans of TWD. Or Fans of TWD + Zombie fans?

Which one you think is bigger? Why not focus on both audiences? There are many many people out there, that have not seen the show. As you saw earlier with my spoiler alerts and creating an angry mob.

So you're in favor of more generic themed pinballs that appeal to everyone?

#247 4 years ago

TWD fans will want a tried and true TWD pin.

Zombie fans will want a tried and true Zombie pin.

Combining them both doesn't necessary mean you will satisfy both groups, it can also mean you will isolate them.

#248 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yes, but with keeping the focus on the zombie aspect. your opening up a broader range of people that will be interested. If you focus on everything from the show, actors and what not, only the fans of the show will really appreciate it. By keeping it vague zombie. You open up the doors for zombie fans in general, and TWD fans. Better marketing by Stern to do it that way.

You have some interesting points. It's going to be hard to satisfy both of those groups though. At that point the game shouldn't even have The Walking Dead anywhere on it and just be an original theme zombie pin. I think more people would appreciate The Walking Dead pinball machine with audio from the actors on the show rather then the announcer guy. Maybe Stern opened up the door to general zombie fans but I think they will lose out on some sales if they don't put any of the characters from the show in it. Someone 10 years down the road may play the pin and go "Oh yeah, I remember the show The Walking Dead, Daryl was my favorite character....wait a minute...who's that talking". Stern could have at least offered the option for the announcer based callouts and say callouts from one of the shows actors. I could see that satisfying Walking Dead TV show and general zombie fans.

As for Stern's reasons not to put lines from the show into the game as well as no reference to any of the characters...

#249 4 years ago
Quoted from nighttaco:

So you're in favor of more generic themed pinballs that appeal to everyone?

In general yes, but not always. If it's a timeless subject already and proven so, like addams family and TZ. Then use the series and implement it well. TWD hasn't been around long enough to know how timeless it will or will not be. Stern is scared to go with anything not licensed. I think they are trying to cover there ass in both aspects with this one. Which I think is a great idea.

The art package, layout and toys is one of the better ones i've seen out of Stern. I havn't played it, so I can't judge on gameplay or rules. Until I get 50+ games in it, I can't say if it sucks or it's great. Many games out there look great, but suck because of rules or layout. Many games out there look terrible, but are fun as shit.

#250 4 years ago

I don't think its a great idea and contradicts what Gary has said about licensed themes. This is like a licensed theme hybrid. They should of gone big and made it 100% TWD and lived or died by it. Just my opinion though.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 16.00
$ 19.95
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
There are 396 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside