Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Hazoff
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jmckune.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

New, Love the old stuff but if I own it now its just for the sake of having it in the collection. I don't do EMs but the 80's stuff especially system 11's are near and dear cause that's what i grew up with. Then 90's, very fun but easy. In the last decade they have gotten fantastic with the rule sets and there's slightly better themes. Not to mention vastly superior sound and lighting and display. Here's the thing, with few exceptions the 50/60 plus crowd around here stick to their guns and its all about Bally/Williams with a tendency to prefer JJP games cause they are in that same realm of "build quality" and "presentation" horseshit. For me as long as its not falling apart I don't care about build quality, never had an issue with a Stern yet, not saying it isn't prevalent just my experience.

I do have a strong preference for B/W games but it’s not due to presentation or build quality, yes that is a big part of the experience which makes them enjoyable but the honest truth of the whole things is that in terms of “makes sense” maintenance wise for me, they are the easiest to understand. Look at the underside of a Gottlieb for example. Multicolored striped white wire throughout the whole thing with many of the wires looking nearly the same and every wire is bundled together regardless of function. Sterns aren’t bad either but they do seem to use more plastic in their more recent games on parts that used to be metal. Plenty of fun games though. Opening up a B/W from 86 on has a similar enough layout between games that tracking something down is fairly easy. Their wires are separated by function and have distinct colors that are easy to trace. I can go on any B/W game from system 11 on and I know that the green wires are switch matrix wires. It makes troubleshooting a game I’ve never even seen 10x easier. So not only do I personally enjoy a lot of the gameplay from them, they make it quite easy to diagnose things in most cases.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 103.00
3,481 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shorewood, WI
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 18.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jmckune.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-vs-old-?tu=jmckune and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.