New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 268520)

New vs. Old

By John0560

5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Hazoff
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 months ago

I am pretty new to pinball, like 8 months. I know by now it will be a life long venture. When I started, the new machines appealed to me quite more than older titles. Now after owning a newer machine (GB) and recently purchasing an older and much under rated LW3, I can say that I have a much better appreciation for some of these older games. They are built like a brick @#$% house, and very exciting. I know I cannot compare every old title to new, but I will say that my wife and I fight over LW3 than GB quite frequently. I will definitely be searching for more 90s titles from now on. Share some of your comparisons if you have any NEW vs. OLD.

#2 5 months ago

They both have something to offer. sometimes simple is better than complicated, sometimes a fast game is better than long & slow, sometimes old better than new

#3 5 months ago

I prefer the fast playing older games. If you can find an EM made after 1976, (DC voltage on the coils), they are very fast and a lot of fun! I like the Gottlieb EM’s a lot, and the early SS Bally’s are great too. Of this era, I own Gottlieb Poseidon, Cleopatra EM and a Close Encounters EM, all of which are solid built and very fun games.

#4 5 months ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

They both have something to offer. sometimes simple is better than complicated, sometimes a fast game is better than long & slow, sometimes old better than new

It is nice to diversify, after playing the same game for 8 months it is definitely a nice to have a change of pace. I am starting to see how people get hooked into this hobby.

#5 5 months ago

i prefer older (pre 1994) games
deep rulesets and needing to read the rules before i am able to enjoy the game is a turnoff for me

#6 5 months ago

New if I could afford it, I cant so I wont.

#7 5 months ago

Old ...
Newest I have is original Attack from Mars

#8 5 months ago

To me the "older" ones have much more charm and "just one more time" feeling compared to new pins. Sure, I like to play new pins too , but not enough to actually own them.

The 90s pins was the pinnacle of pinball in my oppinion and thats why its only them I have at home.

#9 5 months ago

New, Love the old stuff but if I own it now its just for the sake of having it in the collection. I don't do EMs but the 80's stuff especially system 11's are near and dear cause that's what i grew up with. Then 90's, very fun but easy. In the last decade they have gotten fantastic with the rule sets and there's slightly better themes. Not to mention vastly superior sound and lighting and display. Here's the thing, with few exceptions the 50/60 plus crowd around here stick to their guns and its all about Bally/Williams with a tendency to prefer JJP games cause they are in that same realm of "build quality" and "presentation" horseshit. For me as long as its not falling apart I don't care about build quality, never had an issue with a Stern yet, not saying it isn't prevalent just my experience.

#10 5 months ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

New, Love the old stuff but if I own it now its just for the sake of having it in the collection. I don't do EMs but the 80's stuff especially system 11's are near and dear cause that's what i grew up with. Then 90's, very fun but easy. In the last decade they have gotten fantastic with the rule sets and there's slightly better themes. Not to mention vastly superior sound and lighting and display. Here's the thing, with few exceptions the 50/60 plus crowd around here stick to their guns and its all about Bally/Williams with a tendency to prefer JJP games cause they are in that same realm of "build quality" and "presentation" horseshit. For me as long as its not falling apart I don't care about build quality, never had an issue with a Stern yet, not saying it isn't prevalent just my experience.

I do have a strong preference for B/W games but it’s not due to presentation or build quality, yes that is a big part of the experience which makes them enjoyable but the honest truth of the whole things is that in terms of “makes sense” maintenance wise for me, they are the easiest to understand. Look at the underside of a Gottlieb for example. Multicolored striped white wire throughout the whole thing with many of the wires looking nearly the same and every wire is bundled together regardless of function. Sterns aren’t bad either but they do seem to use more plastic in their more recent games on parts that used to be metal. Plenty of fun games though. Opening up a B/W from 86 on has a similar enough layout between games that tracking something down is fairly easy. Their wires are separated by function and have distinct colors that are easy to trace. I can go on any B/W game from system 11 on and I know that the green wires are switch matrix wires. It makes troubleshooting a game I’ve never even seen 10x easier. So not only do I personally enjoy a lot of the gameplay from them, they make it quite easy to diagnose things in most cases.

#11 5 months ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

I do have a strong preference for B/W games but it’s not due to presentation or build quality, yes that is a big part of the experience which makes them enjoyable but the honest truth of the whole things is that in terms of “makes sense” maintenance wise for me, they are the easiest to understand. Look at the underside of a Gottlieb for example. Multicolored striped white wire throughout the whole thing with many of the wires looking nearly the same and every wire is bundled together regardless of function. Sterns aren’t bad either but they do seem to use more plastic in their more recent games on parts that used to be metal. Plenty of fun games though. Opening up a B/W from 86 on has a similar enough layout between games that tracking something down is fairly easy. Their wires are separated by function and have distinct colors that are easy to trace. I can go on any B/W game from system 11 on and I know that the green wires are switch matrix wires. It makes troubleshooting a game I’ve never even seen 10x easier. So not only do I personally enjoy a lot of the gameplay from them, they make it quite easy to diagnose things in most cases.

Well ur a tech man so thats different. I pay someone to fix my pins while I drink coffee and smoke so who cares.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 199.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside