(Topic ID: 199430)

New Vehicle - GMC Acadia or Honda Pilot???

By pcprogrammer

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 199 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which vehicle would you choose?”

• GMC Acadia - 2015/2016/2017 Models - 6 Cylinder 37 votes
      33%
    • Honda Pilot - 2015 Model - 6 Cylinder 54 votes
      48%
    • Another SUV similar to those two in size, weight, towing and engine. 21 votes
      19%

(112 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF1186 (resized).JPG
    DSCF0200 (resized).JPG
    DSCF0201 (resized).JPG
    Chevrolet-Traverse-Redline-front-three-quarter-1 (resized).jpg
    DSCN5542 (resized).JPG
    bb40acac (resized).jpg
    Tasty Taco.jpg
    c1fec951470d1700903a123a6df27e2b (resized).jpg
    1976_Toyota_Corolla (resized).jpg
    2013 Toyota Landcruiser 70.jpg
    f25967ba038798c9e2ca52a3ef0f75c2 (resized).jpg
    HS.jpg
    New Landcruiser in Bronze color.jpg
    edge-02 (resized).jpg
    edge-01 (resized).jpg
    20151218_174757 (1) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 6 years ago

Any Honda will be more dependable in the long run than a GMC and will hold it's resale value much longer.

That's just an opinion from a guy that has been in the automotive business since the early 80s.

Although I'm a Toyota guy myself.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

What's weird is that I see GMC vehicles on the road where I live at least 20 to 1 ratio. I don't see a lot of Honda's at all of any model.

In So Cal it's the complete opposite. Toyotas and Hondas and their relatives seem to outnumber everything else. And if one goes up for sale at a decent price, it's gone.

I wouldn't mess around with those lessor Asian imports though, as they do develop issues down the road.

#20 6 years ago

I'd stick with buying a used Toyota if I were you as they really hold their resale value. As the price of new ones go up, so can the price of nice used ones.

My 2001 Pre-Runner is almost worth as much now as when I bought it over ten years ago and there are always people that want to buy it.

#24 6 years ago

I always hear about transmissions going out on Fords as they get up over 100,000 miles and all kinds of other little shit that you would never have to worry about on a Toyota or Honda.

I see quite a few GMC trucks come in that seem fairly dependable, but wouldn't trade my Toyota with almost 200,000 miles for one.

#29 6 years ago

Would I get 200k on a Honda without all that "little shit" going wrong. That's what I'm struggling with. Maybe for me it's more of a toyota vs honda dilemma.

I see them come in the shop with high miles and some things can go wrong. I see a lot more Toyotas with high miles that things never went wrong.

Once any American made vehicle passes 150,000 miles or less, you can almost count on having some major repair or another.

I also find Toyotas are much easier to service than any of them with their rear wheel drive trucks.

#33 6 years ago

Up where I live in wisconsin any 4runner I see has a very rusty frame underneath. That's why i thought I'd go with a unibody like a pilot. They put a lot of shit on wisconsin roads, it's so corrosive.

That's something else to consider as we don't have road salt here and most vehicle's bodys and frames last forever.

So you may want to research which chassis are less prone to corrosion.

#36 6 years ago

Toyota 4runners and Tacoma are known for excessive frame rot up north.

Any chassis can be undercoated to prevent corrosion. I worked at a Nissan dealer where they had us do that just so they could charge more for a vehicle. What a mess that procedure was...

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Do any newer cars have significant issues with corrosion these days?

I couldn't say. Like I mentioned I'm in So Cal where the cars and pinball machines last forever. Yesterday I saw a Ford Pinto driving down the road....

#40 6 years ago

6 (resized).jpg6 (resized).jpg

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mvfvette1:

Here's a pretty good reason if you care about your own country's economy.

I heard that argument as far back as the 80s when America was building real shit boxes that would fall apart in no time.

My response to that logic was always, what is more important to you, America's economy, or your own.

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mvfvette1:

American vehicles are a whole lot different today than they were in the 80's.

They are, but they still don't hold their resale value or last as long without major repairs like a Toyota or Honda. When they do and they last as long, then get back to me.

I drive a Tacoma, and wouldn't even think of trading it for a Ranger or Colorado.

I work in a shop where I see 15-30 cars and trucks a day,all makes and models, and the owners always talk about what repairs have needed to be done

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mvfvette1:

All of the ones that I've owned do. That's honestly not just a slapstick response. I've had nothing but great luck with American vehicles, including quite a few with very high mileage over the last 30 years

You've been lucky then. Some American vehicles seem to be more reliable than others.

To be fair, I had to replace the door lock motor on my Tacoma at 170,000 miles and that little item cost me around $200. And one customer came in and told me the 4.7 in his Tundra had valve keepers that failed at a low mileage. but Toyota knew about the problem, and fixed it for free. Some Civics from the 2000s have also been known to blow head gaskets as well.

#76 6 years ago

Now there's a reliable line of cars...

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I'm honestly surprised it wasn't farther down the bottom of the list!

100,000 miles, throw it away and start over.

And where's Audi on that piece of shit car list?

#82 6 years ago

O-din do you see a lot of repairs on the Acadias and Buick Enclaves in your shop?

I do smog inspections so I mostly see vehicles that are five years and older unless they are out of state. Some with more miles than others. It takes a few years to pass the 100,000 mile mark which is when you can get a good sense of how reliable they really are.

But I rarely see any higher mileage ones that people say have been trouble free, as opposed to Hondas and Toyotas.

#91 6 years ago

I just did an inspection on a 2006 Camry with 180,000 miles. No leaks and purring like a kitten. The lady said besides doing regular maintenance, there has never been a problem.

Standard procedure, I see it every day.

#96 6 years ago

I've got an 07 Camry. At 6 years old, it had the water pump replaced. At 7 years old, it had the radiator replaced, was leaking. Now at 10 years old the AC doesn't work, was told its a $1,600 repair. I have noticed the oil in my Camry smells a little like "gas"

That sucks. I rarely hear of those problems, but parts can fail. If the oil smells like gas then maybe the PCV valve is plugged up.

Quoted from PtownPin:

the wife drives an Audi S8, and its been a great car....anyone who bags that car clearly hasn't owned one or driven one...

Just wait until those check this and check that lights start coming on on the dash. I'm guessing the first one you will see will be the tire pressure indicator...

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Have you seen this before? we've owned Audi's for years, and NEVER had an issue? same said for our Landcruisers...have you owned one?

I see dashboards on Audis lit up like Christmas trees when they come in. But as long as that Check Engine lite is off, they usually pass.

Landcruiser very solid. FJ Cruiser is good as well. Like I said I rarely hear complaints about Toyota and many of them have in excess of 200,000 miles.

#101 6 years ago

That was a good idea. Siennas seem to be pretty reliable as well. They come in pretty often.

I was never a fan of the Previas or the van before that as they sucked to work on.

#105 6 years ago

I've decided to just keep my old vehicles instead of trading them in.

Good idea.

I have decided I want my 2001 Tacoma to be the last vehicle I ever own. I'll report back on that in 30 years.

#109 6 years ago
    Quoted from Seatmandan:

If this is the case, then why are you so hell-bent on this supposed amazing "resale value" thing you keep talking about with foreign vehicles??!?

There are people that are interested in such things and I am frequently asked to sell mine. Not gonna happen though.

#113 6 years ago

I just did a 2007 GMC Yukon Denali with 115k and the owner said he has had no major problems yet although it looks like there might be a tiny bit of oil seepage starting near the rear of the motor. Besides that it is a real creampuff.

#114 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Some people value that in their vehicle purchase, even if they're not planning to sell.

Kinda like pinball machines? lol. We shouldn't use the pingument now should we.

Epic fail on my part, it looks like my Tacoma isn't holding it's value so well after all..

orangecounty.craigslist.org link

#116 6 years ago

I heard If I get there fast with cash, I'll also get that Capcom Kingpin that's hiding in the bed.

#118 6 years ago

It's been a slow day at the smog shop, but I just did a 1998 Jeep Cherokee with 144k on it and besides a new catalytic converter, there are oil leaks everywhere. I would have inquired a little more about it's history of it, but the owner was still a little bent that he failed last week for having the wrong converter installed.

However, the guy with the 10 year old supercharged V-12 Aston Martin with 30,000 miles said so far, so good.

#119 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

If I am buying an $80,000+(which is crazy) SUV-it will only be a Landcruiser.

Drool.

f25967ba038798c9e2ca52a3ef0f75c2 (resized).jpgf25967ba038798c9e2ca52a3ef0f75c2 (resized).jpg

#122 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I could go on all day drooling at awesome Toyota's

My first one. 20R with rear wheel drive. Paid $500 for it in 1983 and drove it for years. At which point my roommate paid me $500 for it and he drove it for years...

1976_Toyota_Corolla (resized).jpg1976_Toyota_Corolla (resized).jpg

#125 6 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

It would not die.

No it wouldn't. I sold it because it was time to buy the next one. Only brand new vehicle I ever bought. I think it was about $10k at that time. And no, it wouldn't die either.

They don't sell many 4x4 trucks any more since the Pre-runners came out, but back in the 80s that was the only option.

c1fec951470d1700903a123a6df27e2b (resized).jpgc1fec951470d1700903a123a6df27e2b (resized).jpg

#127 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

last one I swear

Never!

By the mid 90s I felt it was time to go a little retro and picked up one of these. Those late 70s and early 80s trucks were built with some pretty tough steel. I put a camper on it and drove it to Key West from Ca. and back again, and again, no it wouldn't die.

bb40acac (resized).jpgbb40acac (resized).jpg

#130 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Good ole 48 state Walker unit in there? Non CA & NY compliant.

No, I see those once in a while but on this one it was Ca approved for a 1997 Grand Cherokee, not a 1998 regular Cherokee.

They tell us to look them up and use the CARB list, and if it's not on there for that vehicle, it fails. I like the ones where the number is barely scribed on there or rusted away...

https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/PartsSearchTool/CatalystSearchTool.aspx

This is why I have so much time to kill at work. Each inspection takes about ten minutes max. And that's all we do. One man operation.

#132 6 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

just hit 115,000 miles

That's just broken in.

#137 6 years ago

I am well prepared for the future.

I have already bought replacements for the only parts I expect to see wear out on my 2001 Tacoma.

DSCN5542 (resized).JPGDSCN5542 (resized).JPG

#139 6 years ago

Yeah, I think I might have got the last of them. What kind of factory support do you want on a 15 year old vehicle?

With most domestics you are lucky if they have this stuff after 5 years. Or anything for that matter. See your Ford dealer about that.

#141 6 years ago

Toyota and Honda both are great for parts. I'm not going to say I never needed anything as that would not be true. But they have a great numbering system and most anything can be had by at least the next day. And it doesn't take the parts guy hours to figure it out.

And they don't give you that obsolete/ superseded BS or the numbers have now changed,or it will take a month to get that part here like they can do to get your Detroit shit box back on the road again.

#142 6 years ago

Ford has always been the worst parts wise. Their system of numbering is a clusterf$%*. And even they don't know what they do or don't have.

If I ever worked on a Ford and the customer asked when it would be done, I would say I don't know.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-vehicle-gmc-acadia-or-honda-pilot?tu=o-din and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.