New Vehicle - GMC Acadia or Honda Pilot???

(Topic ID: 199430)

New Vehicle - GMC Acadia or Honda Pilot???

By pcprogrammer

9 months ago

Topic Stats

• 199 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which vehicle would you choose?”

• GMC Acadia - 2015/2016/2017 Models - 6 Cylinder 37 votes
      33%
    • Honda Pilot - 2015 Model - 6 Cylinder 54 votes
      49%
    • Another SUV similar to those two in size, weight, towing and engine. 20 votes
      18%

(111 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCF1186 (resized).JPG
    DSCF0200 (resized).JPG
    DSCF0201 (resized).JPG
    Chevrolet-Traverse-Redline-front-three-quarter-1 (resized).jpg
    DSCN5542 (resized).JPG
    bb40acac (resized).jpg
    Tasty Taco.jpg
    c1fec951470d1700903a123a6df27e2b (resized).jpg
    1976_Toyota_Corolla (resized).jpg
    2013 Toyota Landcruiser 70.jpg
    f25967ba038798c9e2ca52a3ef0f75c2 (resized).jpg
    HS.jpg
    New Landcruiser in Bronze color.jpg
    edge-02 (resized).jpg
    edge-01 (resized).jpg
    20151218_174757 (1) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 9 months ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Although if you look hard enough online you can find problem stories with any vehicle.

People will always be more willing to complain about issues, but people who don't have issues aren't going to go online and rave about how reliable their vehicle is.

I've owned pretty much nothing but Hondas, and I do all my own maintenance. They're fantastic vehicles and they have remarkable resale values. My 2002 Accord has literally been bulletproof--only having to change out an O2 sensor in all the 150,00 miles. It's got some leaks here and there from old seals, but otherwise, the engine runs like a swiss watch and the transmission shifts are crisp (I drive a manual. Still the original clutch).

We also own a Honda Odyssey, which is based on the same exact platform and chassis as the Pilot. It has 136,000 miles. I can tell you that the V6 is still butter smooth, 100% leak-free, and the transmission has been flawless.

Things that have gone wrong on the odyssey:

AC Compressor magnetic clutch failed--but I was able to replace it myself. $100 repair. (Thankfully, Honda's designs are modular, so you can replace the magnetic stator without having to replace the entire compressor unit and evacuate the lines).

Vehicle wheel speed sensor failed, causing the ABS light to turn on. Again, it being modular, you can replace the sensor without having to replace the entire wheel bearing. Parts from Rock Auto were $20.

Lastly, it needed a timing belt and harmonic balancer--but these are just regular maintenance things. Talk about a PITA though. V6's don't give you much room to work in. This was the only job that made me want to throw the car off a bridge.

Granted, I do not have much experience with GMCs, but I know that their overall reliability records aren't all that good, and I have an inherent bias towards Hondas and Toyotas. They've always served us well, they have excellent build quality, a more refined fit and finish, and when it comes to sell them, they're an easy sell.

Read some reviews on Edmunds, US News & World Reports, and KBB. I think you'll find that in all cases, the Pilot is the superior vehicle.

#37 9 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Any chassis can be undercoated to prevent corrosion.

Do any newer cars have significant issues with corrosion these days? Here in the Northeast, we get rough winters with sanded, brined, and salted roads and I haven't heard of anyone with cars that have lost structural integrity from corrosion. Same goes for my fiancé's parents and their friends, and they live up in the Pocono Mountains.

#62 9 months ago
    Quoted from Mvfvette1:

Here's a pretty good reason if you care about your own country's economy.

If the American car manufacturers made a competitive product that were as high quality as their Japanese counterparts, I'd own only American cars. But they don't, so I don't. Hondas and Toyotas are considerably better made, more reliable, more durable, and have a better resale value. I don't have an alliance towards a particular country or manufacture--Vehicles just cost a TON of money, and I want to make sure I'm getting the best possible product for my dollar spent.

I still don't feel bad buying Japanese cars though. Most are made in the United States, including the Honda Pilot (in Alabama), and for years the Toyota Camry was "the most American made car" since it used more domestic parts and labor than even American cars did. I think the Jeep Wrangler overtook that position just this year, but Honda still remains in the Top 10 most American made vehicles produced.

#75 9 months ago
    Quoted from Mvfvette1:

Just to be clear, everything you state in your first paragraph is simply your opinion.

Not necessarily. Look at historical data and consumer reports for overall vehicle reliability. You'll find that Japanese/foreign vehicles almost always make it to the very top on a regular basis.

According to their 2017 survey, the top 10 most reliable brands were
    1) Lexus
    2) Toyota
    3) Buick
    4) Audi
    5) Kia
    6) Mazda
    7) Hyundai
    8 ) Infiniti
    9) BMW
    10) Honda

The bottom 10 (the absolute least reliable vehicles) in their survey were:

1) Lincoln
    2) Cadillac
    3) Volkswagen
    4) Jeep
    5) GMC
    6) Tesla
    7) Dodge
    8 ) Chrysler
    9) Fiat
    10) Ram

Both Chevy and Ford are numbers 15 and 18 respectively out of 29 brands. Just BARELY making it into the top 15.

#77 9 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Now there's a reliable line of cars

I'm honestly surprised it wasn't farther down the bottom of the list! Poor Fiat/Chrysler... They're challenging the idea that "there aren't any more bad cars made anymore." Absolute bottom of the barrel.

#85 9 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And where's Audi on that piece of shit car list?

I was honestly VERY surprised to see Audi in the top ten. I was also surprised to see BMW and Buick there as well.

The nice thing about Consumer Reports is that they aggregate the data across the entire line of vehicles they produce. After reading their in depth review of Honda, the only reason they're last on the top 10 is because the new HR-V has issues, and it's dragging them down like a boat anchor. I think I read it's due to their new design. Hopefully they'll square that away for next year.

#102 9 months ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I've got an 07 Camry.

Man, it sounds like you drew the shortest straw on that one. My fiancé's last car was a 1999 Corolla. It had 210,000 miles on it. The only major repair it's had was a failed power steering pump. Even the AC blew ice cold. The only reason we got rid of it was because she got a job in Montana, and we needed a car that we'd feel comfortable making the drive out there in. We sold it on CL for $1000 in less than 4 hours.

Part of me wishes we kept it. It was a great little beater.

#107 9 months ago

Strange to see that a large Pilot doesn't have the headroom for a pinball machine, yet their subcompact Fit does. I've been eyeing the fit for a while now for that reason alone.

#112 9 months ago
    Quoted from Seatmandan:

then why are you so hell-bent on this supposed amazing "resale value" thing you keep talking about with foreign vehicles??!?

Some people value that in their vehicle purchase, even if they're not planning to sell. According to 2016 data compiled by Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book, the car manufacturers with the best resale values after 5 years of ownership (from best to least) are:

1) Subaru
    2) Lexus
    3) Honda
    4) Toyota
    5) Acura
    6) Jeep
    7) Porsche
    8 ) BMW
    9) Mercedes-Benz
    10) Infiniti

2017 Data shows that Toyota and Porsche have moved their way up the list to spots #1 and #2 respectively.

#115 9 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Epic fail on my part, it looks like my Tacoma isn't holding it's value so well after all..

I've heard anyone who replies to that ad and goes to see the vehicle wakes up in a warehouse with their kidney removed.

#123 9 months ago

Have you guys seen that top gear video where they torture a poor Toyota Hilux to try to kill it? They sunk it under salt water, set it on fire, and dropped it from a building. They could make repairs, but they weren't allowed to use any spare parts. Whatever they did, they were able to get it running again:

#140 9 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, I think I might have got the last of them. What kind of factory support do you want on a 15 year old vehicle?

My dad's AC line developed a leak on his '99 Accord. I was able to walk into the dealer and walk out the same day with the exact hose I needed. It was the most obscure part for a car that's 17 years old, but they had it.

---

Another really nice feature of Hondas and Toyotas, that's not too well known, is that all safety equipment regarding seatbelts or SRS system is covered under a lifetime warranty. Last year, my SRS light came on. Took it to the dealer, and it turned out to be a a failed sensor in the seatbelt buckle. They covered 100% of the parts and labor. That's when they told me that anything regarding the seatbelts is covered for life. So even if the retractor gets sloppy, they'll repair it for free under warranty--even if the car is from 1982. Same goes for Toyota.

Honda--Lifetime, unlimited miles.
    Toyota--Lifetime, unlimited miles.
    Ford's seatbelt and SRS warranty is 5 years or 60,000 miles--whichever comes first.
    GM/Chevy/et al covers seat belts for 3 years or 36,000 miles--whichever comes first.

1 month later
    #154 8 months ago

Pcprogrammer,

If it helps you any, I’ve been in the market for a new vehicle myself. The one car I keep gravitating towards is the newly redesigned CR-V (2017–).

It checks all the boxes:
    —large enough to hold any game (including widebodies and System 3s)
    —really excellent fuel economy
    —available AWD (which I’ve read has been massively improved since last model, but still really lacking compared to Subaru’s).
    —miles of rear leg room, and no center “hump.”

If you’re looking for something with a 3rd row though, it doesn’t have one, and it’s towing capacity is a paltry 1,500 lbs. Still, it seems to be a really good option. My one reservation is that it’s got a turbo. To me, that’s just one more thing to go wrong on a car, but it’s the reason it gets such good mileage.

#157 8 months ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Now that most small suvs went to a cvt transmission, do some research on the forums for any issues they have. There have not been many cvt used through the years that held up well....yet. :/

That's another thing I'm kinda worried about. All I want out of a vehicle is to just drive it forever until it's beaten into the ground, but I also love all the bells and whistles that new cars have. I guess you can't have it all. Still, I trust that Honda will produce a reliable product. I feel that they've learned their lesson of building really awful transmissions from back in the early 2000s when they had several lawsuits regarding their 4-speeds in the Odyssey and Accord.

#159 8 months ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I just can't stand behind a CVT until we see models running well over 100k without reliability issues.

I agree, and I didn't know that these new CVTs had issues that kept them from running beyond 100K miles.

One thing I have noticed with nearly all of Honda's new flagship vehicles (Civic, Accord, CR-V, and to a lesser extent, the Fit) is that they all have the exact same standard powertrain. They all have the same engines, and the same transmissions. Across all those models. Of course, there are outliers with optional packages, but Honda is really pushing their L-series engines and transmissions on nearly everything now, which were all introduced in 2001, so they had plenty of time to perfect things.

Idk. Maybe I'm just wishfully thinking. I really like these new CR-Vs, but they have to be bulletproof for me to own. Questionable reliability of CVTs is the only reason I'm also considering the more traditional RAV-4.

#162 8 months ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I also like their engine bays are not cramped full of @#$#@$ so you can actually work on them.

Same here. I also like how their designs are modular. My parent's Odyssey's A/C clutch stator failed right before we were all heading out on a rather long roadtrip in it last summer, and I was expecting I'd have to sit there and pull the entire compressor out decompress the system and swap it for new, but Honda was kind enough to make it accessible, and the stator was connected via a simple connector. Hell, Honda even went so far as to mold in a little "shelf" under the engine block for me to rest the compressor on--bolts out--so I wouldn't have to hold the damn thing up while fishing around to re-bolt the compressor back onto the block. Thoughtful thinking all around.

I really hope I'll be able to wait another year on my current car, but things are all starting to slowly nickle and dime me. I'm just waiting for it to kick the bucket one of these days.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 117.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 1,099.00
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ULEKstore
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 144.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 37.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 229.99

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside