(Topic ID: 199430)

New Vehicle - GMC Acadia or Honda Pilot???

By pcprogrammer

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 199 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which vehicle would you choose?”

• GMC Acadia - 2015/2016/2017 Models - 6 Cylinder 37 votes
      33%
    • Honda Pilot - 2015 Model - 6 Cylinder 54 votes
      48%
    • Another SUV similar to those two in size, weight, towing and engine. 21 votes
      19%

(112 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF1186 (resized).JPG
    DSCF0200 (resized).JPG
    DSCF0201 (resized).JPG
    Chevrolet-Traverse-Redline-front-three-quarter-1 (resized).jpg
    DSCN5542 (resized).JPG
    bb40acac (resized).jpg
    Tasty Taco.jpg
    c1fec951470d1700903a123a6df27e2b (resized).jpg
    1976_Toyota_Corolla (resized).jpg
    2013 Toyota Landcruiser 70.jpg
    f25967ba038798c9e2ca52a3ef0f75c2 (resized).jpg
    HS.jpg
    New Landcruiser in Bronze color.jpg
    edge-02 (resized).jpg
    edge-01 (resized).jpg
    20151218_174757 (1) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mvfvette1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

If they both meet all your needs for seating and such, I can't think of many reasons to go 'Merica over Nippon.

Here's a pretty good reason if you care about your own country's economy. There's a lot bigger picture than where a foreign corporation builds a couple of their models. Look at where the engineering, design and safety testing is done. Look at the number of Americans each company employs. Look at the wages American car companies pay their US assembly line workers vs what foreign automakers pay their US assembly line workers. A lot of people may not care and that's their business, but fortunately a lot of people do. The argument that "my foreign car is built in America" gets old fast there is a lot bigger picture. These numbers are from 2012 and the gap is even wider now:

Detroit Three vs. Japanese Three: 181,000 to 67,000
    Car dealerships and suppliers often sell cars or furnish parts for multiple automakers. Take them out of the equation, and Detroit automakers have the clear lead in direct employment — at assembly, drivetrain, stamping, casting and tooling plants, research and design facilities, U.S. headquarters, testing grounds and the like. GM spokesman Fred Ligouri says GM employs 77,000 Americans. Chrysler's U.S. employment totals 39,200. Ford declined to provide numbers, but the American Automotive Policy Council, a group that represents the Detroit Three, says the Dearborn, Mich., automaker employs about 65,000.

Combined, that's more than 2.5 times the number of employees that Toyota, Nissan and Honda – the three largest Japanese automakers in the U.S. — employ. Toyota spokeswoman Carly Schaffner says Toyota employs more than 30,000 Americans, up from 29,089 in 2011. Honda has "just north of 26,000" at its U.S. operations, says spokesman Ed Miller. Nissan's U.S. operations employ 10,380 across six states. Hyundai-Kia employs 7,800, according to two spokesmen for the Korean automaker.

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

If the American car manufacturers made a competitive product that were as high quality as their Japanese counterparts, I'd own only American cars. But they don't, so I don't. Hondas and Toyotas are considerably better made, more reliable, more durable, and have a better resale value. I don't have an alliance towards a particular country or manufacture--Vehicles just cost a TON of money, and I want to make sure I'm getting the best possible product for my dollar spent.
    I still don't feel bad buying Japanese cars though. Most are made in the United States, including the Honda Pilot (in Alabama), and for years the Toyota Camry was "the most American made car" since it used more domestic parts and labor than even American cars did. I think the Jeep Wrangler overtook that position just this year, but Honda still remains in the Top 10 most American made vehicles produced.

Just to be clear, everything you state in your first paragraph is simply your opinion. I feel the exact opposite regarding everything you said and feel that American vehicles are superior in every way. That is my honest opinion.

On top of that, I care about what is better for the US economy and what is better for American workers.

#70 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I heard that argument as far back as the 80s when America was building real shit boxes that would fall apart in no time.
    My response to that logic was always, what is more important, America's economy, or your own.

American vehicles are a whole lot different today than they were in the 80's. I think America's overall economy plays an important role in one's individual finances.

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

They are, but they still don't hold their resale value or last as long without major repairs like a Toyota or Honda. When they do and they last as long, then get back to me.
    I drive a Tacoma, and wouldn't even think of trading it for Ranger or Colorado.

All of the ones that I've owned do. That's honestly not just a slapstick response. I've had nothing but great luck with American vehicles, including quite a few with very high mileage over the last 30 years.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mvfvette1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-vehicle-gmc-acadia-or-honda-pilot?tu=Mvfvette1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.