(Topic ID: 199430)

New Vehicle - GMC Acadia or Honda Pilot???

By pcprogrammer

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 199 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which vehicle would you choose?”

• GMC Acadia - 2015/2016/2017 Models - 6 Cylinder 37 votes
      33%
    • Honda Pilot - 2015 Model - 6 Cylinder 54 votes
      48%
    • Another SUV similar to those two in size, weight, towing and engine. 21 votes
      19%

(112 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF1186 (resized).JPG
    DSCF0200 (resized).JPG
    DSCF0201 (resized).JPG
    Chevrolet-Traverse-Redline-front-three-quarter-1 (resized).jpg
    DSCN5542 (resized).JPG
    bb40acac (resized).jpg
    Tasty Taco.jpg
    c1fec951470d1700903a123a6df27e2b (resized).jpg
    1976_Toyota_Corolla (resized).jpg
    2013 Toyota Landcruiser 70.jpg
    f25967ba038798c9e2ca52a3ef0f75c2 (resized).jpg
    HS.jpg
    New Landcruiser in Bronze color.jpg
    edge-02 (resized).jpg
    edge-01 (resized).jpg
    20151218_174757 (1) (resized).jpg
    There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 6 years ago

That was a good idea. Siennas seem to be pretty reliable as well. They come in pretty often.

I was never a fan of the Previas or the van before that as they sucked to work on.

#102 6 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I've got an 07 Camry.

Man, it sounds like you drew the shortest straw on that one. My fiancé's last car was a 1999 Corolla. It had 210,000 miles on it. The only major repair it's had was a failed power steering pump. Even the AC blew ice cold. The only reason we got rid of it was because she got a job in Montana, and we needed a car that we'd feel comfortable making the drive out there in. We sold it on CL for $1000 in less than 4 hours.

Part of me wishes we kept it. It was a great little beater.

#103 6 years ago

Siennas just feel good to drive. The engine feels like just enough power for the vehicle size and they get really good fuel economy. Mine can pull my boat easily.

#104 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Man, it sounds like you drew the shortest straw on that one. My fiancé's last car was a 1999 Corolla. It had 210,000 miles on it. The only major repair it's had was a failed power steering pump. Even the AC blew ice cold. The only reason we got rid of it was because she got a job in Montana, and we needed a car that we'd feel comfortable making the drive out there in. We sold it on CL for $1000 in less than 4 hours.
    Part of me wishes we kept it. It was a great little beater.

I've decided to just keep my old vehicles instead of trading them in. We will always have 3 vehicles, it's cheap to just put liability insurance on them and just keep beating them into the ground.

#105 6 years ago

I've decided to just keep my old vehicles instead of trading them in.

Good idea.

I have decided I want my 2001 Tacoma to be the last vehicle I ever own. I'll report back on that in 30 years.

#106 6 years ago
    Quoted from LitzDoc:

Does a pinball machine fit into the new Pilot? I was told it does not.

It Doesn't. Fits in a 2011 Ford Edge though!! I own a 2016 Ford Edge as well, and there's even more room for a pin in there than the '11

edge-01 (resized).jpgedge-01 (resized).jpg

edge-02 (resized).jpgedge-02 (resized).jpg

#107 6 years ago

Strange to see that a large Pilot doesn't have the headroom for a pinball machine, yet their subcompact Fit does. I've been eyeing the fit for a while now for that reason alone.

#108 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I have decided I want my 2001 Tacoma to be the last vehicle I ever own

If this is the case, then why are you so hell-bent on this supposed amazing "resale value" thing you keep talking about with foreign vehicles??!?

#109 6 years ago
    Quoted from Seatmandan:

If this is the case, then why are you so hell-bent on this supposed amazing "resale value" thing you keep talking about with foreign vehicles??!?

There are people that are interested in such things and I am frequently asked to sell mine. Not gonna happen though.

#110 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Strange to see that a large Pilot doesn't have the headroom for a pinball machine, yet their subcompact Fit does. I've been eyeing the fit for a while now for that reason alone.

Cars are just weird man. Wife picked up a Chevy Equinox which seems really big right until you try to fit a pin inside...little tough and scracthes hear and there.

#111 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Strange to see that a large Pilot doesn't have the headroom for a pinball machine

Not about the headroom, it's about the hatch opening. Outgoing 2015 Pilot had a 33" hatch opening, the new one has a 30.25" opening height. For some reason, Honda raised the load floor height on the 2016 and newer models and kept the roofline the same. It was probably to fit that decontented, cost-saved, inferior toothpick-of-a-suspension under the rear of the vehicle.

#112 6 years ago
    Quoted from Seatmandan:

then why are you so hell-bent on this supposed amazing "resale value" thing you keep talking about with foreign vehicles??!?

Some people value that in their vehicle purchase, even if they're not planning to sell. According to 2016 data compiled by Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book, the car manufacturers with the best resale values after 5 years of ownership (from best to least) are:

1) Subaru
    2) Lexus
    3) Honda
    4) Toyota
    5) Acura
    6) Jeep
    7) Porsche
    8 ) BMW
    9) Mercedes-Benz
    10) Infiniti

2017 Data shows that Toyota and Porsche have moved their way up the list to spots #1 and #2 respectively.

#113 6 years ago

I just did a 2007 GMC Yukon Denali with 115k and the owner said he has had no major problems yet although it looks like there might be a tiny bit of oil seepage starting near the rear of the motor. Besides that it is a real creampuff.

#114 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Some people value that in their vehicle purchase, even if they're not planning to sell.

Kinda like pinball machines? lol. We shouldn't use the pingument now should we.

Epic fail on my part, it looks like my Tacoma isn't holding it's value so well after all..

orangecounty.craigslist.org link

#115 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Epic fail on my part, it looks like my Tacoma isn't holding it's value so well after all..

I've heard anyone who replies to that ad and goes to see the vehicle wakes up in a warehouse with their kidney removed.

#116 6 years ago

I heard If I get there fast with cash, I'll also get that Capcom Kingpin that's hiding in the bed.

#117 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

I'm on my 4th land cruiser....their a little pricey, but the best SUV I've ever owned....by a long shot

Landcruiser's are by far the best SUV ever engineered. They are tanks and built to go a million miles!!! Most make it to 300,000 plus miles with little to zero maintenance. I am a huge Toyota fan and I would love to own a new Landcruiser, in fact I saw one at the dealer last month that got me thinking, it was a beautiful bronze one with low miles. Then I realized that I would rather do other things with my money-like buy more pinball machines (; I sat there and realized I could literally buy 2 brand new 4 Runner's for the cost of a used Landcruiser. The thing about a 4 Runner is you can buy one for $35,000 and sell it years later for $30,000. Now go buy a Landcrusier for $85,000 and try and get $60,000 for it years later with high mileage-not so easy to do,huge depreciation because it is in the luxury brand. Now if you are the kind of guy that buys a SUV and drives it into the ground-the Landcruiser may be for you. I personally do not like to keep my vehicles with more than 100,000 miles on them and I prefer newer cars every couple years. Plus what a lot of people do not know is that Toyota has implemented a lot of the Landcruiser features over the years into the 4 Runner models(Basically a stripped down Landcruiser with a V6 instead of V8-way better on gas) The new Denali is like $80,000 which I agree with you, it is not even close to the quality of a Landcruiser. If I am buying an $80,000+(which is crazy) SUV-it will only be a Landcruiser.

Back to the conversation...Can't go wrong with a Honda. I also like the Kia Sorento-good bang for your buck and sharp looking.

Here is a pic of the new Landcruiser in Bronze that had me drooling at the Toyota dealer the other day....

New Landcruiser in Bronze color.jpgNew Landcruiser in Bronze color.jpg
    HS.jpgHS.jpg

#118 6 years ago

It's been a slow day at the smog shop, but I just did a 1998 Jeep Cherokee with 144k on it and besides a new catalytic converter, there are oil leaks everywhere. I would have inquired a little more about it's history of it, but the owner was still a little bent that he failed last week for having the wrong converter installed.

However, the guy with the 10 year old supercharged V-12 Aston Martin with 30,000 miles said so far, so good.

#119 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

If I am buying an $80,000+(which is crazy) SUV-it will only be a Landcruiser.

Drool.

f25967ba038798c9e2ca52a3ef0f75c2 (resized).jpgf25967ba038798c9e2ca52a3ef0f75c2 (resized).jpg

#120 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

... but the owner was still a little bent that he failed last week for having the wrong converter installed.

Uff I always forget you guys get tested for that crap.

#121 6 years ago

I could go on all day drooling at awesome Toyota's

2013 Toyota Landcruiser 70.jpg2013 Toyota Landcruiser 70.jpg

#122 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I could go on all day drooling at awesome Toyota's

My first one. 20R with rear wheel drive. Paid $500 for it in 1983 and drove it for years. At which point my roommate paid me $500 for it and he drove it for years...

1976_Toyota_Corolla (resized).jpg1976_Toyota_Corolla (resized).jpg

#123 6 years ago

Have you guys seen that top gear video where they torture a poor Toyota Hilux to try to kill it? They sunk it under salt water, set it on fire, and dropped it from a building. They could make repairs, but they weren't allowed to use any spare parts. Whatever they did, they were able to get it running again:

#124 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

My first one. 20R with rear wheel drive. Paid $500 for it in 1983 and drove it for years. At which point my roommate paid me $500 for it and he drove it for years...

My dad had one like that.It would not die.

#125 6 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

It would not die.

No it wouldn't. I sold it because it was time to buy the next one. Only brand new vehicle I ever bought. I think it was about $10k at that time. And no, it wouldn't die either.

They don't sell many 4x4 trucks any more since the Pre-runners came out, but back in the 80s that was the only option.

c1fec951470d1700903a123a6df27e2b (resized).jpgc1fec951470d1700903a123a6df27e2b (resized).jpg

#126 6 years ago

Haha are we turning this into a Toyota thread....last one I swear

Tasty Taco....

Tasty Taco.jpgTasty Taco.jpg

#127 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

last one I swear

Never!

By the mid 90s I felt it was time to go a little retro and picked up one of these. Those late 70s and early 80s trucks were built with some pretty tough steel. I put a camper on it and drove it to Key West from Ca. and back again, and again, no it wouldn't die.

bb40acac (resized).jpgbb40acac (resized).jpg

#128 6 years ago
    Quoted from Seatmandan:

Not about the headroom, it's about the hatch opening. Outgoing 2015 Pilot had a 33" hatch opening, the new one has a 30.25" opening height. For some reason, Honda raised the load floor height on the 2016 and newer models and kept the roofline the same. It was probably to fit that decontented, cost-saved, inferior toothpick-of-a-suspension under the rear of the vehicle.

What height does the hatch opening have to be to fit a pin in it? 30 inches, I thought.

#129 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It's been a slow day at the smog shop, but I just did a 1998 Jeep Cherokee with 144k on it and besides a new catalytic converter, there are oil leaks everywhere. I would have inquired a little more about it's history of it, but the owner was still a little bent that he failed last week for having the wrong converter installed.

Good ole 48 state Walker unit in there? Non CA & NY compliant.

#130 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Good ole 48 state Walker unit in there? Non CA & NY compliant.

No, I see those once in a while but on this one it was Ca approved for a 1997 Grand Cherokee, not a 1998 regular Cherokee.

They tell us to look them up and use the CARB list, and if it's not on there for that vehicle, it fails. I like the ones where the number is barely scribed on there or rusted away...

https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/PartsSearchTool/CatalystSearchTool.aspx

This is why I have so much time to kill at work. Each inspection takes about ten minutes max. And that's all we do. One man operation.

#131 6 years ago

I'm still driving my 2001 Toyota Tacoma... granted I don't drive a ton, just hit 115,000 miles and have done zero maintenance on it beyond oil changes and replacing batteries and headlights. But it's getting up there in miles and I'm starting to thing about my next truck. I think I'll still have to buy a Toyota or Honda even with how expensive they are, you save it in the long run on gas and maintenance.

#132 6 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

just hit 115,000 miles

That's just broken in.

#133 6 years ago

I’ve had a 2014 Honda Pilot for a little over 3 months. I’ve put 10k miles on it since I got it, and I love the damn thing. Makes pin moving very easy.

It’s comfy, big enough for everything. All Wheel Drive, so it will be fine in the winter. I traded in a 2007 F-150 and a 2010 Mini Cooper S. No regrets whatsoever.

#134 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I’ve had a 2014 Honda Pilot for a little over 3 months. I’ve put 10k miles on it since I got it, and I love the damn thing. Makes pin moving very easy.
    It’s comfy, big enough for everything. All Wheel Drive, so it will be fine in the winter. I traded in a 2007 F-150 and a 2010 Mini Cooper S. No regrets whatsoever.

10k in 3 months, that's a lot of miles! 40k a year.

#135 6 years ago

Bought a 2017 Honda Pilot Touring and we absolutely love it. Would HIGHLY recommend and buy again if we had to do it all over.

#136 6 years ago

If you like to tinker, buy a pinball machine.
    If you like to tinker, buy a GM.

#137 6 years ago

I am well prepared for the future.

I have already bought replacements for the only parts I expect to see wear out on my 2001 Tacoma.

DSCN5542 (resized).JPGDSCN5542 (resized).JPG

#138 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I am well prepared for the future.
    I have already bought replacements for the only parts I expect to see wear out on my 2001 Tacoma.

That's a good idea.

#139 6 years ago

Yeah, I think I might have got the last of them. What kind of factory support do you want on a 15 year old vehicle?

With most domestics you are lucky if they have this stuff after 5 years. Or anything for that matter. See your Ford dealer about that.

#140 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, I think I might have got the last of them. What kind of factory support do you want on a 15 year old vehicle?

My dad's AC line developed a leak on his '99 Accord. I was able to walk into the dealer and walk out the same day with the exact hose I needed. It was the most obscure part for a car that's 17 years old, but they had it.

---

Another really nice feature of Hondas and Toyotas, that's not too well known, is that all safety equipment regarding seatbelts or SRS system is covered under a lifetime warranty. Last year, my SRS light came on. Took it to the dealer, and it turned out to be a a failed sensor in the seatbelt buckle. They covered 100% of the parts and labor. That's when they told me that anything regarding the seatbelts is covered for life. So even if the retractor gets sloppy, they'll repair it for free under warranty--even if the car is from 1982. Same goes for Toyota.

Honda--Lifetime, unlimited miles.
    Toyota--Lifetime, unlimited miles.
    Ford's seatbelt and SRS warranty is 5 years or 60,000 miles--whichever comes first.
    GM/Chevy/et al covers seat belts for 3 years or 36,000 miles--whichever comes first.

#141 6 years ago

Toyota and Honda both are great for parts. I'm not going to say I never needed anything as that would not be true. But they have a great numbering system and most anything can be had by at least the next day. And it doesn't take the parts guy hours to figure it out.

And they don't give you that obsolete/ superseded BS or the numbers have now changed,or it will take a month to get that part here like they can do to get your Detroit shit box back on the road again.

#142 6 years ago

Ford has always been the worst parts wise. Their system of numbering is a clusterf$%*. And even they don't know what they do or don't have.

If I ever worked on a Ford and the customer asked when it would be done, I would say I don't know.

#143 6 years ago

10k in 3 months, that's a lot of miles! 40k a year.

It’s an anomaly. I usually only do about 15 a year, but we took it to Canada for vacation, and I drove it to Tennessee for the eclipse. I think that’s why I like the Pilot so much. I’ve taken some long drives in it, and it’s been great.

#144 6 years ago

I agree the pre 2016/2017 models look more boxy, but they are proven and probably solid as a rock? Still a little worried about the new transmissions though. I've already read several stories online of people having theirs replaced. Although if you look hard enough online you can find problem stories with any vehicle.

I was a bit nervous bout the tranny too, but that 9 speed has been in acura's for years now, so its been around.

1 month later
    #145 6 years ago
    Quoted from cscmtp:

Bought a 2017 Honda Pilot Touring and we absolutely love it. Would HIGHLY recommend and buy again if we had to do it all over.

Does a modern pinball machine fit in your 2017 Pilot? I have heard the new Pilots will not take a pin because the opening is not high enough. I think you need 31 inches vertical clearance.

#146 6 years ago

ah man..everyone has their personal issues with brands etc.

Many new models of ford and GM share transmissions. Just FYI :-p and the new 6spds they've made together are actually holding up very well for both.

Honda has TONS of hidden/silent recalls. They are not as amazing as the stereotypes would make you think, they are really good at keeping their recall and issues silent. Just look up the engine oil issue on their 2010 and up 2.4L eating quarts of oil and their lack of wanting to fix/replace the issues.

In reality any "new" vehicle you get is pretty darn reliable, even hyundia's etc. You really need to test drive each and get a feel for how it fits for you. Also read the warranty manual and know what you get coverage wise once the B2B expires. Many dealers screw over owners on repairs that should be covered under power train warranty.

#147 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I was a bit nervous bout the tranny too, but that 9 speed has been in acura's for years now, so its been around.

Can we get confirmation of which model or who makes this 9spd?

I know ZF made the 9spd for fiat/chrylser in their cars and the originals had TONS of issues. They "Fixed" it for the 2016 with a new dog bone etc internals and software. However I heard they sold that trans to Acura/honda and it still wasn't fully fixed.... I would stay the heck away from that 9spd.... it isn't proven yet. Just see all the issues the jeep renegade had.

#148 6 years ago

honda pilot for sure but get the new version if possible. Honda over GMC any day.

#149 6 years ago

I'd get the 4Runner.

#150 6 years ago

On the flip side my wife and I have owned three consecutive Dodge Durango's. We put well over 100,000 miles on all of them and never had any problems with any of them.

Our most recent (a 2011 with 147,000) is for sale.

Our most recent purchase (the replacement for the above) is a 2017 Ford Explorer platinum. So far we are really impressed with it. The interior is really nice on this model...really nice. We will see how it holds up.

There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-vehicle-gmc-acadia-or-honda-pilot/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.