New Vehicle - GMC Acadia or Honda Pilot???

(Topic ID: 199430)

New Vehicle - GMC Acadia or Honda Pilot???

By pcprogrammer

8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 199 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which vehicle would you choose?”

• GMC Acadia - 2015/2016/2017 Models - 6 Cylinder 37 votes
      33%
    • Honda Pilot - 2015 Model - 6 Cylinder 54 votes
      49%
    • Another SUV similar to those two in size, weight, towing and engine. 20 votes
      18%

(111 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCF1186 (resized).JPG
    DSCF0200 (resized).JPG
    DSCF0201 (resized).JPG
    Chevrolet-Traverse-Redline-front-three-quarter-1 (resized).jpg
    DSCN5542 (resized).JPG
    bb40acac (resized).jpg
    Tasty Taco.jpg
    c1fec951470d1700903a123a6df27e2b (resized).jpg
    1976_Toyota_Corolla (resized).jpg
    2013 Toyota Landcruiser 70.jpg
    f25967ba038798c9e2ca52a3ef0f75c2 (resized).jpg
    HS.jpg
    New Landcruiser in Bronze color.jpg
    edge-02 (resized).jpg
    edge-01 (resized).jpg
    20151218_174757 (1) (resized).jpg

There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 8 months ago

Starting the hunt for a new vehicle. We have 2 Toyotas and have been Toyota buyers for quite some time. As I've been searching, it seems the prices of new and used Toyotas are ridiculous now, I've written off getting a Highlander or 4Runner because of the cost.

Anyone own a GMC Acadia or Honda Pilot? I don't like small SUVs, we have a Sienna van which we like but don't want another. I think a mid size SUV would work great for us. Never owned Honda or GMC. Looking at a 2015/2016 Acadia or a 2015 Pilot. I don't like the newer 2016/2017 Pilots, they are smaller now and seem more car-like in their design. Plus I like the traditional 5 or 6 speed transmissions, the newer ones scare me a bit the reliability probably isn't proven.

FYI - I've had HORRIBLE luck with every single Ford I've ever owned, so a Ford is 100% out of the question.

Any thoughts are welcome...

#2 8 months ago

my wife and I have Had two Acadia's since 2012 and love love love them.

#3 8 months ago

My 2016 pilot kicks ass. Had it over a year now wouldnt have made another choice. I dont care for the boxy old ones and prefer the comfort and ride of the new one. The 9 speed hasnt had an issue yet.

#4 8 months ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

My 2016 pilot kicks ass. Had it over a year now wouldnt have made another choice. I dont care for the boxy old ones and prefer the comfort and ride of the new one. The 9 speed hasnt had an issue yet.

I agree the pre 2016/2017 models look more boxy, but they are proven and probably solid as a rock? Still a little worried about the new transmissions though. I've already read several stories online of people having theirs replaced. Although if you look hard enough online you can find problem stories with any vehicle.

Quoted from toasterman04:

my wife and I have Had two Acadia's since 2012 and love love love them.

Cool. You are way up north so your Acadias probably see a lot of snow/salt and crap. Any repairs at all with yours? Someone told me the Acadias had some brake issues at some point.

#5 8 months ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Although if you look hard enough online you can find problem stories with any vehicle.

People will always be more willing to complain about issues, but people who don't have issues aren't going to go online and rave about how reliable their vehicle is.

I've owned pretty much nothing but Hondas, and I do all my own maintenance. They're fantastic vehicles and they have remarkable resale values. My 2002 Accord has literally been bulletproof--only having to change out an O2 sensor in all the 150,00 miles. It's got some leaks here and there from old seals, but otherwise, the engine runs like a swiss watch and the transmission shifts are crisp (I drive a manual. Still the original clutch).

We also own a Honda Odyssey, which is based on the same exact platform and chassis as the Pilot. It has 136,000 miles. I can tell you that the V6 is still butter smooth, 100% leak-free, and the transmission has been flawless.

Things that have gone wrong on the odyssey:

AC Compressor magnetic clutch failed--but I was able to replace it myself. $100 repair. (Thankfully, Honda's designs are modular, so you can replace the magnetic stator without having to replace the entire compressor unit and evacuate the lines).

Vehicle wheel speed sensor failed, causing the ABS light to turn on. Again, it being modular, you can replace the sensor without having to replace the entire wheel bearing. Parts from Rock Auto were $20.

Lastly, it needed a timing belt and harmonic balancer--but these are just regular maintenance things. Talk about a PITA though. V6's don't give you much room to work in. This was the only job that made me want to throw the car off a bridge.

Granted, I do not have much experience with GMCs, but I know that their overall reliability records aren't all that good, and I have an inherent bias towards Hondas and Toyotas. They've always served us well, they have excellent build quality, a more refined fit and finish, and when it comes to sell them, they're an easy sell.

Read some reviews on Edmunds, US News & World Reports, and KBB. I think you'll find that in all cases, the Pilot is the superior vehicle.

#6 8 months ago

We have had both and now have a Acadia Denali and the pilot doesn't even compare. We have two small children as well if that factors in.

#7 8 months ago

We sold our pilot and bought a suburban. No regrets. So I vote for the Acadia!

#8 8 months ago

I'm not a Honda Fan, but I have to admit the new Pilot is very good. We considered buying one, and it was on the final cut list. Reliability of Hondas is very good; and between the two my money is on the Pilot.

I tend to stick with American and German, so for me to like the Pilot is somewhat amazing....

I don't like the newer 2016/2017 Pilots, they are smaller now and seem more car-like in their design. Plus I like the traditional 5 or 6 speed transmissions, the newer ones scare me a bit the reliability probably isn't proven.

So were the older ones. The underlying platform was car based. If you are open to the 16-17 stay with the lower trim models. The 6 speed transmission is very good (in the lower trim models). I think the top trim model is a 9 speed, which may be a little less proven......

#9 8 months ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

People will always be more willing to complain about issues, but people who don't have issues aren't going to go online and rave about how reliable their vehicle is.
    I've owned pretty much nothing but Hondas, and I do all my own maintenance. They're fantastic vehicles and they have remarkable resale values. My 2002 Accord has literally been bulletproof--only having to change out an O2 sensor in all the 150,00 miles. It's got some leaks here and there from old seals, but otherwise, the engine runs like a swiss watch and the transmission shifts are crisp (I drive a manual. Still the original clutch).
    We also own a Honda Odyssey, which is based on the same exact platform and chassis as the Pilot. It has 136,000 miles. I can tell you that the V6 is still butter smooth, 100% leak-free, and the transmission has been flawless.
    Things that have gone wrong on the odyssey:
    AC Compressor magnetic clutch failed--but I was able to replace it myself. $100 repair. (Thankfully, Honda's designs are modular, so you can replace the magnetic stator without having to replace the entire compressor unit and evacuate the lines).
    Vehicle wheel speed sensor failed, causing the ABS light to turn on. Again, it being modular, you can replace the sensor without having to replace the entire wheel bearing. Parts from Rock Auto were $20.
    Lastly, it needed a timing belt and harmonic balancer--but these are just regular maintenance things. Talk about a PITA though. V6's don't give you much room to work in. This was the only job that made me want to throw the car off a bridge.
    Granted, I do not have much experience with GMCs, but I know that their overall reliability records aren't all that good, and I have an inherent bias towards Hondas and Toyotas. They've always served us well, they have excellent build quality, a more refined fit and finish, and when it comes to sell them, they're an easy sell.
    Read some reviews on Edmunds, US News & World Reports, and KBB. I think you'll find that in all cases, the Pilot is the superior vehicle.

What you said makes a lot of sense. I've never had much at all go wrong with the Toyotas we bought. Had to replace the radiator in our Camry and now the Air Conditioning doesn't work in our Camry. I was told it is the evaporator located under the dash and it is a $1,600 repair so right now we use it with no AC. Our Toyota Sienna has been flawless with no repairs in 105,000 miles on it.

#10 8 months ago

Kia for us! 10 years ago if you told me I was going to own a Kia I would have told you that you were out of your mind but after doing some research I decided the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty was just too hard to pass up. We bought the Kia mini van because of crash test rating - best safety numbers of all mini vans - but what I love now is 27MPG highway and 24+ MPG mixed driving.

I tow a 6x12 trailer for moving machines and a smaller single axle camper when traveling for fun. We have had it 2 years and I am just as happy with it today as the day I bought it. I am not a big fan of mini vans but for us it just seemed like the most logical choice right now. And even when towing I average close to 15MPG

#11 8 months ago
    Quoted from BrianZ:

I'm not a Honda Fan, but I have to admit the new Pilot is very good. We considered buying one, and it was on the final cut list. Reliability of Hondas is very good; and between the two my money is on the Pilot.
    I tend to stick with American and German, so for me to like the Pilot is somewhat amazing....

So were the older ones. The underlying platform was car based. If you are open to the 16-17 stay with the lower trim models. The 6 speed transmission is very good (in the lower trim models). I think the top trim model is a 9 speed, which may be a little less proven......

Just looked some up and yes, many are listed with the 6 speed transmissions. I thought they were all 9 speed now. Maybe I'll give a 2016 model a chance.

#12 8 months ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Is there an internet rumor that Hondas aren't reliable?

#13 8 months ago

Any Honda will be more dependable in the long run than a GMC and will hold it's resale value much longer.

That's just an opinion from a guy that has been in the automotive business since the early 80s.

Although I'm a Toyota guy myself.

#14 8 months ago

What's weird is that I see GMC vehicles on the road where I live at least 20 to 1 ratio. I don't see a lot of Honda's at all of any model.

#15 8 months ago

Of the pilots a secondary question would be 2015 or 2016 model? They look so much different.

#16 8 months ago

What's weird is that I see GMC vehicles on the road where I live at least 20 to 1 ratio. I don't see a lot of Honda's at all of any model.

In So Cal it's the complete opposite. Toyotas and Hondas and their relatives seem to outnumber everything else. And if one goes up for sale at a decent price, it's gone.

I wouldn't mess around with those lessor Asian imports though, as they do develop issues down the road.

#17 8 months ago

I also have the same situation, Honda Pilot, Ford Flex or Ford Escape. The Escape does not have the 3rd row of seats in the hatch space like the other two. I have a 2013 Escape SE and it is a fantastic vehicle, 28 mpg in the aggregate, a 4 cyl with EcoBoost.

My experience in pricing the vehicles:

If you are looking now you can get a great deal on 2017s left in inventory on the lot. If you do not need the 3rd row seats, a Ford Escape SE/SEL is a good choice, you'll save at least $5k over the Pilot or similar 3rd rowers.

Get an internet/online quote before you visit any dealerships. That tends to be the best price you'll ever get, as they are enticing you to get you there. Also check if your company has a deal with them, we have one with Ford that beats any rebate situation hands down.

The Honda Odyssey looks like a hearse. So does the CR-V. And boxy (2012ish vehicles) was BETTER. IMHO.

#18 8 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

In So Cal it's the complete opposite. Toyotas and Hondas and their relatives seem to outnumber everything else. And if one goes up for sale at a decent price, it's gone.
    I wouldn't mess around with those lessor Asian imports though, as they do develop issues down the road.

Yea, must be where I live. People are into Ford around here big time too.

#19 8 months ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

I also have the same situation, Honda Pilot, Ford Flex or Ford Escape. The Escape does not have the 3rd row of seats in the hatch space like the other two. I have a 2013 Escape SE and it is a fantastic vehicle, 28 mpg in the aggregate, a 4 cyl with EcoBoost.
    My experience in pricing the vehicles:
    If you are looking now you can get a great deal on 2017s left in inventory on the lot. If you do not need the 3rd row seats, a Ford Escape SE/SEL is a good choice.
    The Honda Odyssey looks like a hearse. So does the CR-V. And boxy (2012ish vehicles) was BETTER. IMHO.

I had a 2007 escape awhile back. It was leaking oil in so many places my mechanic didn't even want to bother with it. I had to dump a quart a week in it to keep it running. It had 110,000 miles on it when I got rid of it. My last Ford I'll ever own.

#20 8 months ago

I'd stick with buying a used Toyota if I were you as they really hold their resale value. As the price of new ones go up, so can the price of nice used ones.

My 2001 Pre-Runner is almost worth as much now as when I bought it over ten years ago and there are always people that want to buy it.

#21 8 months ago

The Toyota 4Runners really do hold their value, I feel priced out of the market on those.

#22 8 months ago

I had a 2007 escape awhile back. It was leaking oil in so many places my mechanic didn't even want to bother with it. I had to dump a quart a week in it to keep it running. It had 110,000 miles on it when I got rid of it. My last Ford I'll ever own.

It's a different engine now.

#23 8 months ago

I am a technician for Buick GMC. If you buy a GMC Acadia make sure it is 2011 and newer. The 2012 to 2015 Acadia's are ok. the older ones had nothing but power steering problems. Power steering pumps, Rack and pinion leaks, Transmission 1-3-5 reverse clutch goes on them if you don't change you trans fluid at 100K. the new body style Acadia with less room is bullet proof. take that from a technicians point of view

#24 8 months ago

I always hear about transmissions going out on Fords as they get up over 100,000 miles and all kinds of other little shit that you would never have to worry about on a Toyota or Honda.

I see quite a few GMC trucks come in that seem fairly dependable, but wouldn't trade my Toyota with almost 200,000 miles for one.

#25 8 months ago

I could just use the down payment money on another pin. Problem solved!

#26 8 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I always hear about transmissions going out on Fords as they get up over 100,000 miles and all kinds of other little shit that you would never have to worry about on a Toyota or Honda.
    I see quite a few GMC trucks come in that seem fairly dependable, but wouldn't trade my Toyota with almost 200,000 miles for one.

Would I get 200k on a Honda without all that "little shit" going wrong. That's what I'm struggling with. Maybe for me it's more of a toyota vs honda dilemma.

#27 8 months ago

Honda over Acadia, any day.

#28 8 months ago

If they both meet all your needs for seating and such, I can't think of many reasons to go 'Merica over Nippon.

#29 8 months ago

Would I get 200k on a Honda without all that "little shit" going wrong. That's what I'm struggling with. Maybe for me it's more of a toyota vs honda dilemma.

I see them come in the shop with high miles and some things can go wrong. I see a lot more Toyotas with high miles that things never went wrong.

Once any American made vehicle passes 150,000 miles or less, you can almost count on having some major repair or another.

I also find Toyotas are much easier to service than any of them with their rear wheel drive trucks.

#30 8 months ago

Up where I live in wisconsin any 4runner I see has a very rusty frame underneath. That's why i thought I'd go with a unibody like a pilot. They put a lot of shit on wisconsin roads, it's so corrosive.

#31 8 months ago

I have a 2009 Honda Pilot and it has been great. I have 210K miles and plan to run it into the ground. Hardly any problems, just keep up with regular maintenance. I can fit 2 pins, but the head needs to come off on one.

#32 8 months ago

The Toyota 4Runners really do hold their value, I feel priced out of the market on those.

Yeah they are great vehicles and the recent redesign has em looking great again!

#33 8 months ago

Up where I live in wisconsin any 4runner I see has a very rusty frame underneath. That's why i thought I'd go with a unibody like a pilot. They put a lot of shit on wisconsin roads, it's so corrosive.

That's something else to consider as we don't have road salt here and most vehicle's bodys and frames last forever.

So you may want to research which chassis are less prone to corrosion.

#34 8 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That's something else to consider as we don't have road salt here and most vehicle's bodys and frames last forever.
    So you may want to research which chassis are less prone to corrosion.

Toyota 4runners and Tacoma are known for excessive frame rot up north. The highlander doesn't feel beefy enough for me. Hence that's why I'm trying to decide on a pilot. Otherwise I'm usually all toyota.

#35 8 months ago

here a picture of the new body style acadia's. This is a all terrain edition. Heated seat, moon, navi, xm, back up camera. power liftgate. Loaded up. I like the all terrain edition because that black leather with red pipping and inserts is sexy as hell. The "denali edition" too much bling for me

20171003_160731 (resized).jpg

#36 8 months ago

Toyota 4runners and Tacoma are known for excessive frame rot up north.

Any chassis can be undercoated to prevent corrosion. I worked at a Nissan dealer where they had us do that just so they could charge more for a vehicle. What a mess that procedure was...

#37 8 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Any chassis can be undercoated to prevent corrosion.

Do any newer cars have significant issues with corrosion these days? Here in the Northeast, we get rough winters with sanded, brined, and salted roads and I haven't heard of anyone with cars that have lost structural integrity from corrosion. Same goes for my fiancé's parents and their friends, and they live up in the Pocono Mountains.

#38 8 months ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Do any newer cars have significant issues with corrosion these days?

I couldn't say. Like I mentioned I'm in So Cal where the cars and pinball machines last forever. Yesterday I saw a Ford Pinto driving down the road....

#39 8 months ago

I love the 4-Runner. I like my Japanese cars Made in Japan. That is getting harder to find. The 4 runner is the best in resale, Made in Japan, and all of the techs at my local Toyota dealership drive one, which speaks to its amazing reliability. If I was in the market, that's what I would do.

The Pilot is made in the slave wage, non union south, so that is out!

#40 8 months ago

6 (resized).jpg

#41 8 months ago

We have a 2010 Pilot. It's got 170,000 miles on it. It's always been maintained by our mechanic for checkups. Never had a problem with it. We just bought a Lexus suv but we just couldn't sell the Pilot so we kept it mainly for my pinball machines.
    It's been a rock.

#42 8 months ago
    Quoted from cavalier88z24:

I am a technician for Buick GMC. If you buy a GMC Acadia make sure it is 2011 and newer. The 2012 to 2015 Acadia's are ok. the older ones had nothing but power steering problems. Power steering pumps, Rack and pinion leaks, Transmission 1-3-5 reverse clutch goes on them if you don't change you trans fluid at 100K. the new body style Acadia with less room is bullet proof. take that from a technicians point of view

My wife had a 2009 that was a great daily driver, right into the service bay for more warranty work than every other car I've owned combined. What a piece of shit.

#43 8 months ago

I've been driving a 2011 Traverse for the last 5 years and I'm very happy with it. It has lots of room, I've fit 2 pins in a couple times (one would have to have a removable head). Area wise it has tons of room, height not so much. My only concern would be the smaller size on the new ones. Standard pins fit fine in mine, but height is an issue for some pins. Safecracker wouldn't fit. I think I had an issue with Stargate as well. The Acadia may be a little more square in the back as opposed to the slightly rounded Traverse. Maybe that would give the extra room. Other than trim and options I believe they are pretty similar.

#44 8 months ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

My wife had a 2009 that was a great daily driver, right into the service bay for more warranty work than every other car I've owned combined. What a piece of shit.

yes 2009 was a shit year. they couldn't get it right til 2012. lucky you were covered under warrenty. you should see what i charge custmers not under warrenty.

#45 8 months ago

We got a 2015 pilot for my wife back in June. It has been a great vehicle! She had a 2004 acura TSX and it was time for a new car. Since we were getting ready to have our first child, we wanted a larger vehicle to transport kids and everything that goes with them. We also wanted a vehicle to haul things. (The first large item was Dialed In.) We were very critical of the 3rd row in similar size SUVs. However, with the pilot, 2 adults can sit in the 3rd row with plenty of leg room. Plenty of room to grow into. We are extremely satisfied with it!

#46 8 months ago

You can check out real world reliability and gas mileage here: https://www.truedelta.com/

#47 8 months ago
    Quoted from Cloud7:

We got a 2015 pilot for my wife back in June. It has been a great vehicle! She had a 2004 acura TSX and it was time for a new car. Since we were getting ready to have our first child, we wanted a larger vehicle to transport kids and everything that goes with them. We also wanted a vehicle to haul things. (The first large item was Dialed In.) We were very critical of the 3rd row in similar size SUVs. However, with the pilot, 2 adults can sit in the 3rd row with plenty of leg room. Plenty of room to grow into. We are extremely satisfied with it!

It seemed to me the interior of the 2015 Pilot was much larger than the 2016.

#48 8 months ago

Honda is super solid. Lexus even better. Every ford, Dodge, and Chevy I've ownd have always had more problems.

#49 8 months ago

It seemed to me the interior of the 2015 Pilot was much larger than the 2016.

I think it has to do with the more boxy shape.

#50 8 months ago

‘13 Acadia Denali here. We have the 2nd row captains chairs and makes getting in the back a breeze. Also the 3rd row is comfortable to sit in for most adults and not an afterthought like other SUVs. I wish it had more pickup but that’s really the only knock for me.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 9.95
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 93.00
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside