Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by kuchiyaji
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8254 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8253 (resized).JPG
    9EF719FF-235B-46EE-B9E7-FF5E828345C7.gif
    957B2ED7-A441-47B9-AB5C-6AED87CBBC54 (resized).png
    #1 5 years ago

Hello
    I would like to buy a new vacuum cleaner. Since the bags are quite expensive and I am not in the mood to change them all the time, I am thinking about buying one without a bag. Can someone tell me if those things are good?

#2 5 years ago

Following, because we all could use something that sucks well.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Following, because we all could use something that sucks well.

#4 5 years ago

I have a Dyson ball and it’s very good. We cleaned the house with our old vacuum one last time and it looked clean. The Dyson continued to pull up dirt.

#5 5 years ago

Tear out all carpet instead. It’s a nasty filth trap!

#6 5 years ago

Joined pinside today, a pinball forum and your first post is asking about a vacuum....
    957B2ED7-A441-47B9-AB5C-6AED87CBBC54 (resized).png957B2ED7-A441-47B9-AB5C-6AED87CBBC54 (resized).png

But I kinda love it

#7 5 years ago

the shark vacuums are awesome. Have had mine for 7+ years and it continues to amaze me on how much it pulls up.

#8 5 years ago

For what use are you needing? I have to assume you need a vacuum for sucking up sawdust from working on pinball cabinets. In that case most any generic Shop-Vac will do.

#9 5 years ago

We just bought a Shark, the thing is a beast, I mean this thing really sucks. The best.

#10 5 years ago

From this months issue of Consumer Reports:

Q. Which is better—a bagged or a bagless vacuum?

A. Bagless vacuums can save you money because you don't have to buy replacement bags. But like bagged vacuums, they have filters that need periodic cleaning or—for HEPA filters—replacing, probably more often than with a bagged vacuum.

Brands differ, but HEPA filters from Shark, for example, cost $3 to $36 and last six months.

"Emptying a bagless vacuum can be messy, releasing some of the particles you just sucked up back into the air," says Susan Booth, CR's lead vacuum tester. That can be a problem if you are sensitive to dust and allergens. Plus, the bagged vacuums in our tests tend to be better at deep cleaning—an advantage if your home has carpeting or rugs.

#11 5 years ago

Do a search newb

#12 5 years ago

Damn. I am on the wrong pinball forum, aren't I ?

#13 5 years ago

Refer to this tantilizing thread from a few months back:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shark-or-dyson

#14 5 years ago

Buy a $69.00 Dirt Devil at Wal Mart, then you will have more money to put toward a pinball machine. Its a win win situation.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Buy a $69.00 Dirt Devil at Wal Mart

And when it's worn out, you won't feel bad about chucking an expensive one in the dumpster. High price or cheap, they last about the same.

LTG : )

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

And when it's worn out, you won't feel bad about chucking an expensive one in the dumpster. High price or cheap, they last about the same.

I agree. I bought two of them, one for upstairs and one for the basement so i dont have to carry it up and down the stairs and honestly they seem to do a really good job also. We did have to replace one that tore up on us but not a big deal like you said because it was only 69 bucks. I threw it in the trash and just went and got another one.

#17 5 years ago

This topic sucks!

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from jorro:

This topic sucks!

Sure does and its not very manly at all.

#19 5 years ago

I was on my way to work about 15 years ago and spotted a new-looking vacuum with all the attachments at the curb. Cord had been cut but i threw it in the car anyways. Bought a $5 cord, and plugged it in. Of course, it was the problem that has plagued mankind since the dawn of time - it didn't want to suck.
    So I popped the hose off and pulled out a roughly 8" snake of dog hair, put it back together, and have been using it ever since.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Sure does and its not very manly at all.

There’s nothing more manly than hoovering 9EF719FF-235B-46EE-B9E7-FF5E828345C7.gif9EF719FF-235B-46EE-B9E7-FF5E828345C7.gif

Which reminds me Pinball Brothers doing a Queen pin, good luck with that jackasses!

#21 5 years ago

So you didn't pick up the used mattress sitting right next to it?

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

So you didn't pick up the used mattress sitting right next to it?

You have to draw the line somewhere.............

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I was on my way to work about 15 years ago and spotted a new-looking vacuum with all the attachments at the curb. Cord had been cut but i threw it in the car anyways. Bought a $5 cord, and plugged it in. Of course, it was the problem that has plagued mankind since the dawn of time - it didn't want to suck.
    So I popped the hose off and pulled out a roughly 8" snake of dog hair, put it back together, and have been using it ever since.

I just scored my new vacuum that was on the curb with a free sign on it.
    The girl came out when I was loading it into the car to give me a bunch of bags for it.
    She said she paid $1800 and that they just bought a new one.
    Works great!

IMG_8253 (resized).JPGIMG_8253 (resized).JPGIMG_8254 (resized).JPGIMG_8254 (resized).JPG
    #24 5 years ago

Nice..Kirbys are not cheap that's for sure.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from onemoresean:

It could last you at least 20 years, if it was used correctly and maintained.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

There’s nothing more manly than hoovering [quoted image]
    Which reminds me Pinball Brothers doing a Queen pin, good luck with that jackasses!

I have always liked how England transformed Hoover into a verb.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

From this months issue of Consumer Reports:
    Q. Which is better—a bagged or a bagless vacuum?
    A. Bagless vacuums can save you money because you don't have to buy replacement bags. But like bagged vacuums, they have filters that need periodic cleaning or—for HEPA filters—replacing, probably more often than with a bagged vacuum.
    Brands differ, but HEPA filters from Shark, for example, cost $3 to $36 and last six months.
    "Emptying a bagless vacuum can be messy, releasing some of the particles you just sucked up back into the air," says Susan Booth, CR's lead vacuum tester. That can be a problem if you are sensitive to dust and allergens. Plus, the bagged vacuums in our tests tend to be better at deep cleaning—an advantage if your home has carpeting or rugs.

My dad sold Kirbys for 20 years. I tried selling them for 6 months and starved. The big selling point in 60s, 70s, 80s, was there were no expensive paper bags to buy. But they were messy when it came time to clean the bag.

Somewheer in the 90s Kirby changed its ways and started using a bag. I have a Kirby that uses the paper bags. The bags do nor cost all that much and they sure are less messy when the bag is full.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

My dad sold Kirbys for 20 years. I tried selling them for 6 months and starved. The big selling point in 60s, 70s, 80s, was there were no expensive paper bags to buy. But they were messy when it came time to clean the bag.
    Somewheer in the 90s Kirby changed its ways and started using a bag. I have a Kirby that uses the paper bags. The bags do nor cost all that much and they sure are less messy when the bag is full.

It seemed all my family members had a Kirby when I was growing up. Jesus, you could go to war with those things......

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from pintechev:

I have a Dyson ball and it’s very good. We cleaned the house with our old vacuum one last time and it looked clean. The Dyson continued to pull up dirt.

I’ll have to go with Dyson as well, that guy knows a thing or two about suction...

#30 5 years ago

Starting a vacuum thread is a proper bawwse entrance. Go with Dyson

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from onemoresean:

Quoted from TheLaw:

Nice..Kirbys are not cheap that's for sure.

Oh boy, did I ever tell you guys that I sold the g3 kirbys when I was a kid. Yup, I did it for the summer/fall of 1996 and usually sold them for 1100 to 1200.
    The office had a contest if we could find away to destroy a kirby we got a $250 bonus. I won.
    So here is how you destroy it.
    Go into your basement and suck up the gritty stone/cement dust on top of foundation and in the corners and presto that kirby motor will make death sounds.
    Enjoy the kirby its built like a tank.
    -Mike

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

you could go to war with those things......

I found in commercial use grit and dirt tears them up fast. Clean and grease every month or two. New bearings and brush/roller twice a year. And I'd still be lucky to get two or three years out of one. Lasted just as long for me as the cheap ones.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from onemoresean:

The girl came out when I was loading it into the car to give me a bunch of bags for it.
    She said she paid $1800 and that they just bought a new one.
    Works great!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Congratulations on the bed bugs?

#34 5 years ago

Make sure whatever you get handles fluids....

#35 5 years ago

Things that a vacuum may not play well with, flammable liquids, dry wall dust, cement dust, very foamy soap solutions. When the flames shoot out the exhaust or motor vent, it is time to unplug the vacuum. Also unplug the vacuum, when a dome of soap foam is spitting out of the same vents.

#36 5 years ago

I think we just paid $105 on clearance for the shark. It'll suck your face off if you want, why buy anything else with a bag or for $$$ money?

#37 5 years ago

No one else finds it a bit odd that OPs first post in a Pinball forum is about a vacuum cleaner?

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

No one else finds it a bit odd that OPs first post in a Pinball forum is about a vacuum cleaner?

We're bored. I've got a Dyson DC28. God forbid the ribbon cable ever breaks, but keep the head clean of hair, and it is an awesome vacuum cleaner. I had to make a warranty claim a couple years ago. Dyson was very easy to deal with. I think I'm about 5 years into it and it is still running strong.

#39 5 years ago

First post on a pinball forum is about a damn vacuum!? I suspect this is some pinheads Wife attempting to spy on her husband and slowly figuring out why it’s just never the right time to buy her a new minivan.

#40 5 years ago

Hey,
    I have the Dyson ball for about 2 years and its really good! Before Dyson I had one from Miele, which was not bad, but the filter bags were too expensive in the long run. I have 2 birds as pets, there comes a lot of dirt together, say 2-3 bags in a month, that is expensive to see year. That's the main reason why the purchase of a Dyson pays off for me.
    As for its actual vacuuming performance, it's realy good, light AND powerful. I have to admit that I was a little concerned when I bought it but I I have to say my concerns were unfounded because this is an amazing vacuum cleaner and I love how light it is to carry around. I have not regretted the purchase.
    You can read more about vacuum cleaners here: https://www.geekwrapped.com/guides/best-vacuums-for-carpet-and-hardwood . On that site you will find a lot of tests and reviews from various brands. That may help you with the purchase decision.

#41 5 years ago

Why does this sound like a thread that o-din would make? Lol

New poster....o-din isnt around right now. ...extremely weird topic for a pinball forum. Hmm.......

Something stinks here folks

4 months later
    #42 5 years ago

I thought long and hard about buying a Dyson (and planned to for many years), but I couldn't justify (much less afford) the price. There was also the concern about the Dyson ball technology being able to get around/under beds and furniture.

I ended up getting the newest model Shark IF251 IONFlex 2X DuoClean vacuum directly from Shark (included some free accessories and a lifetime warranty). I have to say, this is one of the best vacuum purchases I've made.

I have 2 dogs, a Border Collie and an Australian Shepherd who just love to leave hair everywhere (yes, they do require additional brushing every week). The Shark model makes easy work of getting that hair up from both the carpets and from the hardwood floors.

I will say from a Bare floors perspective, while the powered head without the brushroll running does a decent job of getting the hardwood floors clean, I find myself using the Hard Floor Genie attachment more (it's a vacuum and microfiber pad in 1 tool).

The nice thing about the Shark is it goes from Upright, to Canister, to stand-alone very easily. I find myself using the Canister mode more often than upright, simply because I can just lower the handle and go straight under the bed with the powered head without having to stop, change accessories, then go under the bed.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from Adam1:

I thought long and hard about buying a Dyson (and planned to for many years), but I couldn't justify (much less afford) the price. There was also the concern about the Dyson ball technology being able to get around/under beds and furniture.
    I ended up getting the newest model Shark IF251 IONFlex 2X DuoClean vacuum directly from Shark (included some free accessories and a lifetime warranty). I have to say, this is one of the best vacuum purchases I've made.
    I have 2 dogs, a Border Collie and an Australian Shepherd who just love to leave hair everywhere (yes, they do require additional brushing every week). The Shark model makes easy work of getting that hair up from both the carpets and from the hardwood floors.
    I will say from a Bare floors perspective, while the powered head without the brushroll running does a decent job of getting the hardwood floors clean, I find myself using the Hard Floor Genie attachment more (it's a vacuum and microfiber pad in 1 tool).
    The nice thing about the Shark is it goes from Upright, to Canister, to stand-alone very easily. I find myself using the Canister mode more often than upright, simply because I can just lower the handle and go straight under the bed with the powered head without having to stop, change accessories, then go under the bed.

Does it use a HEPA filter?

3 months later
    #44 4 years ago

I shifted to my new home few months ago discarding my old vacuum cleaner (The Dyson DC40 upright vacuum).It had several issues one of the most irritating was its short cord.My new rooms floor are of hardwood and rugs and recently bought a pet "miniature american shepherd".After going through a lot of research https://topreviewedten.com/best-vacuum-cleaner/ and taking suggestion from friends and family I bought a Shark Rotator Powered upright vacuum it cleans pretty well and tackles the pet hair very well which was my main concern and it has lot of attachments too hope this is informational to you.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from mmorejane:

I shifted to my new home few months ago discarding my old vacuum cleaner (The Dyson DC40 upright vacuum).It had several issues one of the most irritating was its short cord.My new rooms floor are of hardwood and rugs and recently bought a pet "miniature american shepherd".After going through a lot of research https://topreviewedten.com/best-vacuum-cleaner/ and taking suggestion from friends and family I bought a Shark Rotator Powered upright vacuum it cleans pretty well and tackles the pet hair very well which was my main concern and it has lot of attachments too hope this is informational to you.

so you choose the shark over the dyson?

#46 4 years ago

Yeah I chose the shark over the dyson.

Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

so you choose the shark over the dyson?

4 months later
    #47 4 years ago

Canister vacuum cleaners are my preferred choice, and currently, I am using the Kenmore 81614. It has a powerful suction system that hasn't failed yet, and the Pop n Go floor brush has come in handy several times.

You may go for canister vacuumthat suits your fancy and needs, as there are several brands in the market including Dysons and Electrolux.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-vacuum-cleaner?hl=davijc02 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.