wozsideart.jpg
lol.gif
woowhite2.jpg
046.JPG
61.jpg
64.jpg
62.jpg
66.jpg
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 12 years ago

I was thinking I would take the slippers off to preserve them

#52 12 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

JJP offers the option to get it without the ruby slipper flippers if one is so inclined.

It would be cool if JJP just included the standard ones in the coinbox. Just in case...
After all, I am going to "shuffle ball change" those 'slipper-flippers' into the ground, with some new widebody multiball nirvana!
And I'm gonna need a second pair...

#53 12 years ago

Come on,Those slipper flippers look cool,they don't look out of place at all.
Now NimblePin there may be a problem with your latest avatar,I can't quite figure it out yet,but something just looks out of place !!

#54 12 years ago
Quoted from Holy_Pickle:

i'm not really excited to flip with high heels flippers

Now I definitely agree with you there. Not really liking the look of those and I'm a girlie girl. Its a bit to fluffy looking on a pin for me anyway. Ruby flippers would be cool. Like you said, its a wait and see. We just might like it when the whole package comes together...

#55 12 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Well, I suppose we could go all SMT and what not (like Stern did), but we have a significant eye towards serviceability. I mean, things WILL go wrong no matter what you do. When that happens, especially if you're out on a service call in a bar, do you want a shot at fixing it right then and there so your equipment can earn, or do you want to bring it back to your SMT station in your office and have a game down probably 24+ hours? If *I* were an operator, I know what I would prefer.

Besides, there is still more to come. Also, thank you for the kind words those that have enjoyed my work.

SMT would have been the better choice in the long run. It's easier for you guys to do it this way now, but it's not in the greater interest of a better product. Serviceability is just an excuse to take the easy road in inital development.

Assuming you aren't willing to make any innovation in the control functions of a pinball machine, the least you can do is bring the component technology into this century (literally). With the whopping 1 year (initial) warranty you guys offer on your work, an operator would be insane to not have a spare board on hand for swap out to get his machine back and running and earning in the field.

....this assuming your customers are actually operators at the price point of your machine, that is.

#56 12 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Well, I suppose we could go all SMT and what not (like Stern did), but we have a significant eye towards serviceability. I mean, things WILL go wrong no matter what you do. When that happens, especially if you're out on a service call in a bar, do you want a shot at fixing it right then and there so your equipment can earn, or do you want to bring it back to your SMT station in your office and have a game down probably 24+ hours? If *I* were an operator, I know what I would prefer.

Good point, but I always though of SMT as more reliable than the old components? Note that I'm not technically schooled - it's just my assumption.

Also, I'm wondering if SMT wouldn't be much cheaper to manufacture? This could allow a service person to simply swap out boards - especially if some kind of export-import option (via usb) would allow transfer of settings/earnings/score data.

Final question, are all chips gonna be socketed in the final product (as seen on the photo) or is that just because these boards are your testing boards?

#57 12 years ago
Quoted from v8torino:

Release the Flying Monkeys

That's a cool figure/doll/statue....creepy....but cool.

#58 12 years ago
Quoted from VegasAlleycat:

This week Matt gets to show off his latest approved version of his Trumper Bumper Trees and the State Fair Balloon which is at the lower left of the playfield."

Matt was an excellent pick up for JJP. I have a few of his mods for SM & POTC.

#59 12 years ago

Looks like a chewed piece of Bubble Gum stock on the flippers.. They should just make a flipper mold and make the flipper plastic the same color with sparkles injected into the flipper mold

#60 12 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

Looks like a chewed piece of Bubble Gum stock on the flippers.. They should just make a flipper mold and make the flipper plastic the same color with sparkles injected into the flipper mold

+1 to that. Those tree pop caps need a bit of work too. I hope they get some more love.. ie detail (Twisted bark) and paint. Overall great though.

#61 12 years ago

woz = bad ass

lol.giflol.gif

#62 12 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

I agree.

#63 12 years ago

i attended the JJP booth at WOZ fest in Chesterton IN last weekend and i saw the flippers at the show they look cool and they would look good the same ruby red color as the shoes.
Pincades (will be the chicagoland distributor)
JT

#64 12 years ago
Quoted from robin:

Good point, but I always though of SMT as more reliable than the old components? Note that I'm not technically schooled - it's just my assumption.

Also, I'm wondering if SMT wouldn't be much cheaper to manufacture? This could allow a service person to simply swap out boards - especially if some kind of export-import option (via usb) would allow transfer of settings/earnings/score data

Some good, easy to understand pros and cons listed on wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-mount_technology

SMDs are better for the consumer as an end product. Through hole is easier, in terms of development and initial production for the producer.

#65 12 years ago

+1 to all the slipper/flipper criticisms.

The idea is cool... might have stumbled a bit on execution.

#66 12 years ago

I still have to throw it out there that we are only seeing 8-10% of what the ACTUAL game is going to be!
He just might mold the entire flipper out of the same sparkly red.
They haven't really even set up shop yet.
March release...
I think they can still address a bunch of things from now until then.

#67 12 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

SMT would have been the better choice in the long run. It's easier for you guys to do it this way now, but it's not in the greater interest of a better product. Serviceability is just an excuse to take the easy road in inital development.

I really disagree on this.
Serviceability is critical in pinball machines. We're not building something like a DVD player that will be used for a few years then replaced with a new one. We're building a pinball machine, which will be used for decades and will need repairs over time. With throughhole parts, anyone with a soldering iron and a bit of skill can replace parts. Switching to SMT will bring repairing the boards out of reach of a large portion (majority even?) of owners and operators. A machine using surface mount parts might be a deal-breaker for me, honestly, because I would be buying something I couldn't repair, and I'm not really comfortable with that.

And - as far as I know, SMT is cheaper to produce, and allows higher pin densities (which is why it's needed for many modern devices), but is no more reliable.
I'm not sure I like their choice of using sockets for all the IC's - often sockets are less reliable than the IC you put in them. You should only use sockets for ICs that are expected to be at a risk of getting zotted due to being connected to outside electronics (like U20 on WPC pins)

#68 12 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

I still have to throw it out there that we are only seeing 8-10% of what the ACTUAL game is going to be!

They keep telling us that. They are not going to show their hand this earily.

#69 12 years ago
Quoted from DrAzzy:

With throughhole parts, anyone with a soldering iron and a bit of skill can replace parts. Switching to SMT will bring repairing the boards out of reach of a large portion (majority even?) of owners and operators.

+1

#70 12 years ago

People are scared of what they don't know. Others will always take advantage of that. I see no difference in this senario.

#71 12 years ago

Hmm... those DIP sockets aren't cheap, oftentimes even more then the ICs you stick in them. That every single IC on the PCB is socketed really tells me they're making serviceability a priority at the expense of higher production costs.

Of all the advantages in SMT, they're virtually all related to cheaper production. I also don't know why through-hole is less expensive or easier for initial development. Maybe less expensive since someone could assemble a prototype or two by hand vs having to hire the production house to pick and place a few boards but otherwise, laying out an SMT PCB isn't going to be all that much more work (if any at all) provided you've got all your parts libraries prepared and you're physical dimensions sorted in the CAD application.

#72 12 years ago

Not sure if this picture been posted??

wozsideart.jpgwozsideart.jpg

#73 12 years ago

Thanks Simon I haven't seen that anywhere else

#74 12 years ago

That side art looks impressive!

1 week later
#75 12 years ago
Quoted from GoBlue:

Wow, those slippers are not appealing to me... I would rather just have ruby flippers...

Yes, but I'd rather have the originally silver slippers from the story, the story makes you point with ruby silvers as the silver had high significance in the story.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 16.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 91.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-update-from-jersey-jack/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.