(Topic ID: 260827)

TWIP TALK: Rick and Morty, Hammer Time, and Cat Rap

By pin2d

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

giphy (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

Hi all! Woof, what a week with non-stop pinball "media" drama. In comparison to the announcement of a new huge network, this may come across as relatively lame

I wanted to share that I am trying something to keep the TWIP podcast going in a new and completely different format, releasing Mondays.

The show will be short (<30 min) and will be geared more towards casual hobbyists and those relatively new to the hobby.

It will have short two minute(ish) segments from guests that include things like:

- Did You Know type segment (pinball firsts, unique mechs, interesting stories, etc.)
    - Pinball For Dummies (how to ___, what’s the purpose of a knocker, etc.)
    - Easter Eggs in pinball machines (I always like these)
    - Two Minutes of Tournament Talk
    - Two minutes of tips for playing a specific machine
    - etc

These are just a few, the idea will be to have a lot of short segments, with a couple longer segments when necessary/applicable to what is going on in the hobby.

At the BEGINNING of the podcast there will be five minutes(ish) or less of news (depending on the week) which will be relayed as objectively as possible, then I’d like to open it up to thoughtful opinions and “takes” from people in the industry on the news – that is where you come in!

How it would work is this – on Friday mornings I’ll send a blind-copy email that contains most interesting things that happened that week in pinball to anyone that thinks they may some day want to participate and send in an audio clip. Maybe you get these and never participate, maybe you send something once every few months or once every few weeks, maybe more often, up to you of course. Then the thoughtful ones would play just after the news.

A couple guidelines on the takes:

- Must be in audio form
    - If solo, share your take in less than a minute, if you are debating someone else on the clip, 2-3 minutes
    - Be thoughtful
    - As much as possible, try to avoid inside jokes and “podcast talking about podcasts” (want to keep it a podcast talking about pinball)

If you’re interested, just PM me your email address. If you know someone that would be interested, let me know.

There is a relatively low percentage of people that are into this hobby are also interested in listening or watching pinball content, so this won’t be for everyone! For me personally, I enjoy listening to several podcasts. I also enjoy doing/creating things like TWIP and the TWIPYs and such (and trying this new podcast) as it increases my enjoyment and fun I have in the hobby (99% of the time anyway). It is a fun creative outlet.

It’ll be a little rough around the edges to start with I’m sure. And if it really sucks I’ll just pull the plug on it haha.

Anyway, like I said, message me your email address if interested on the "takes/opinions" part. Also if you have any short segments you would find interesting or would want to hear/listen to, let me know!

Jeff

TL;DR – planning to start a new short TWIP podcast

#2 4 years ago

Neat idea, different from the rest of the podcasts. Glad to see TWIP continuing in some fashion.

#3 4 years ago

This concept reminds me of the (early) Coast2coast Pinball Podcast, of which I never missed an episode.

So, yes, I think this is a pretty cool idea and would totally listen every week. You had me at “pinball”, “weekly” and “<30 minutes”.

(assuming that > sign was a typo).

Go TWIP!

#4 4 years ago

Just my opinion, but I would just prefer a 5min podcast on the news each week without the other stuff. Basically an audio version of the TWIP website.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

This concept reminds me of the (early) Coast2coast Pinball Podcast, of which I never missed an episode.
    So, yes, I think this is a pretty cool idea and would totally listen every week. You had me at “pinball”, “weekly” and “<30 minutes”.
    (assuming that > sign was a typo).
    Go TWIP!

Whoops!! Yes that was a typo, fixed now.

Loved listening to those C2C podcasts, those were the best!

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Just my opinion, but I would just prefer a 5min podcast on the news each week without the other stuff. Basically an audio version of the TWIP website.

Well you're in luck because the news stuff will be at the beginning so you can just turn it off after that!

#7 4 years ago

Yay back to the roots of TWIP I love all the ideas for it! I would love to help provide audio content for it when I can!!

#8 4 years ago

Looking forward to this. Shorter run times a plus!!

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

- As much as possible, try to avoid inside jokes and “podcast talking about podcasts” (want to keep it a podcast talking about pinball)

I OBJECT! GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT! REJECT ME AS THE HOST!?!? JUST WAIT, BROTHER...CAUSE YOU'RE ABOUT TO ENTER THE RING WITH THE GRAND CHAMPION OF PINBALL MEDIA!

#10 4 years ago

I DEFEATED TWIP ONCE...I'LL DEFEAT TWIP AGAIN!

#11 4 years ago

There are already too many podcasts. TWIP's value is it's the one place where I can read the news in a few minutes, not listen to someone drag it out. Even 30 minutes is longer than I usually spend on TWIP. You do a great job summarizing the week. In 10 minutes I learn what would would take me 10 hours listening to podcasts and scouring pinside. Don't worry about being just another podcast; continue being the best pinball print media. Sometimes it's nice to just read, not be talked at. Not to mention, most people are really bad on the mic.

Just my (hopefully respectful) two cents.

#12 4 years ago

30 mins is a great idea, the old one with a 2 hour run time was absurd
    I could never get though the entire show

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from imotoarcade:

Yay back to the roots of TWIP I love all the ideas for it! I would love to help provide audio content for it when I can!!

Awesome Imoto! I've added you

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

There are already too many podcasts. TWIP's value is it's the one place where I can read the news in a few minutes, not listen to someone drag it out. Even 30 minutes is longer than I usually spend on TWIP. You do a a great job summarizing the week. In 10 minutes I learn what would would take me 10 hours listening to podcasts and scouring pinside. Don't worry about being just another podcast; continue being the best pinball print media. Sometimes it's nice to just read, not be talked at. Not to mention, most people are really bad on the mic.
    Just my (hopefully respectful) two cents.

Thanks for the kind words. At the risk of the podcast sounding a little half assed - the website will still be the #1 priority, and doing this podcast won't take any time from that. This is a podcast that I would personally want to listen to and wish it existed, so I am going to try it out. If it doesn't work or if I am really bad on the mic (my goal is just pretty bad, not really bad), it'll just stop and nothing lost.

#15 4 years ago

If you are actually listening to pinball podcasts, chances are you already know the purpose of a knocker. I don't think that devoting time to explaining things like that is a good idea. 10 - 15 minutes to report the news and leave it at that. I wouldn't get into all this other nonsense if I can be totally blunt. You really have to be a die hard to listen to someone talk about pinball, lets be serious. IMO, someone that is casually into the hobby doesn't care to spend their time in this way. Do what you do best and report the news, forget about all the fluff.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from MachoPinball:

I OBJECT! GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT! REJECT ME AS THE HOST!?!? JUST WAIT, BROTHER...CAUSE YOU'RE ABOUT TO ENTER THE RING WITH THE GRAND CHAMPION OF PINBALL MEDIA!

Quoted from MachoPinball:

I DEFEATED TWIP ONCE...I'LL DEFEAT TWIP AGAIN!

Two hours of Macho would make people's ears bleed! Macho will not be on this podcast unless he somehow figures out a way to hack TWIP...which could never happen...could it??

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

If you are actually listening to pinball podcasts, chances are you already know the purpose of a knocker. I don't think that devoting time to explaining things like that is a good idea. 10 - 15 minutes to report the news and leave it at that. I wouldn't get into all this other nonsense if I can be totally blunt. You really have to be a die hard to listen to someone talk about pinball, lets be serious. IMO, someone that is casually into the hobby doesn't care to spend their time in this way. Do what you do best and report the news, forget about all the fluff.

You may be right, but I think there is an audience for this type of podcast. I'm also releasing some new features this year on the TWIP website to make it more helpful to new people as well.

#18 4 years ago

I'll be listening. Thank you TWIP!

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

You may be right, but I think there is an audience for this type of podcast.

In that case I would suggest to put all the news and info that appeals to the broader audience in the beginning and leave other stuff on the back end. That way the more die hard listener won't have to fast forward through all the 'knocker talk' to find the news.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

In that case I would suggest to put all the news and info that appeals to the broader audience in the beginning and leave other stuff on the back end. That way the more die hard listener won't have to fast forward through all the 'knocker talk' to find the news.

That is exactly what I'm doing - news will be first!

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

That is exactly what I'm doing - news will be first!

Excellent. Sorry I must have missed that. Looking forward to it!

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

New people coming into pinball everyday, they most likely do not know the history.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

New people coming into pinball everyday, they most likely do not know the history.

I agree but we're talking about people that actually listen to other people talk about pinball. That's a whole other level.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

I agree but we're talking about people that actually listen to other people talk about pinball. That's a whole other level.

I don't know about that. When I find a new passion or interest, I tend to dive right in and look for related podcasts and youtube channels. It feeds my interest, and helps me to learn more about whatever new thing I'm into. So yeah, I don't think pinball podcasts are necessarily just for diehards. I'm always looking for new podcasts to listen to anyway while I'm working, and I bet a lot of other people do to.

I like the idea of talking about pinball terms and their history. For instance, things like "fan layout" and "Italian bottom" aren't necessarily terms that everyone just automatically knows what they mean.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

I like the idea of talking about pinball terms and their history. For instance, things like "fan layout" and "Italian bottom" aren't necessarily terms that everyone just automatically knows what they mean.

I agree with this and think Jeff is on the right track. There's a lot about pinball that even veterans don't learn, and a lot of that depends on how they approach the hobby. For example, I know very skilled competitive players that don't know the designers for their favorite pins. Whereas to collectors that is often a big deal.

Many common terms aren't really known, and aside perhaps from the most famous historical elements (WMS ending in 1999, Roger Sharpe and the NYC ban) I think a lot of the history is unknown even to pinheads.

So I think this is a very good idea, especially if it's really limited (what's 60-120 seconds to learn something cool about pinball?)!

#26 4 years ago

This is most excellent! May throw my ring into the TWIP podcast ring too

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

I don't know about that. When I find a new passion or interest, I tend to dive right in and look for related podcasts and youtube channels. It feeds my interest, and helps me to learn more about whatever new thing I'm into. So yeah, I don't think pinball podcasts are necessarily just for diehards. I'm always looking for new podcasts to listen to anyway while I'm working, and I bet a lot of other people do to.

I do the same - I got my first machine (Big Hurt) and got the bug, started Coast2Coast on episode 1 while drywalling and finishing the basement (so I had a place to put the machine - at that point it was only going to be one or maybe two), and listened all the way through all the episodes, still my favorite podcast ever.

#28 4 years ago

This is great news! I am really excited to listen and wish you the best Jeff. Always.

#29 4 years ago

I always enjoy reading TWIP on Monday mornings. Looking forward to the podcast. Thanks for your hard work

#30 4 years ago

First episode of TWIP TALK!

Kaminkow Teases and Iron Man Vault Squared

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/twip-talk-kaminkow-teases-and-iron-man-vault-squared/

(had some audio issues initially but they are fixed now - if the guest parts are super quiet, delete or refresh to the new version)

#31 4 years ago

Listened to it on my way to work this morning. Great episode! I like the format with the short segments, well done Jeff.

#32 4 years ago

Just listened. Good show, but I had some audio issues. During the segments where you had a guest come on, their audio was so low that I couldn't even hear them speaking. You were fine throughout Jeff, but all the guests we basically inaudible for me. Not sure why, must be a problem with the levels? Just wanted to let you know. Thanks.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Just listened. Good show, but I had some audio issues. During the segments where you had a guest come on, their audio was so low that I couldn't even hear them speaking. You were fine throughout Jeff, but all the guests we basically inaudible for me. Not sure why, must be a problem with the levels? Just wanted to let you know. Thanks.

Sorry about that - I pulled that podcast and corrected the audio issue, but in some cases I think it may have pushed out the original and not replaced it with the corrected one. Doh. You can listen online here to the fixed version if you want: https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/twip-talk-kaminkow-teases-and-iron-man-vault-squared/

I probably should've listened to it to make sure nothing went wonky during export, but the Super Bowl was getting ready to start and there was good food and drinks and...oops

#34 4 years ago

Loved the first episode!

#35 4 years ago

Constructive criticism. Talk with more enthusiasm and energy. Cadence is important.

Just sounded like you were talking to yourself while taking out the trash.

Content was good, but talking on a "good" podcast requires a little passion in your voice.

You have time to iron it out, get it done and I will be listening.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Constructive criticism. Talk with more enthusiasm and energy. Cadence is important.
    Just sounded like you were talking to yourself while taking out the trash.
    Content was good, but talking on a "good" podcast requires a little passion in your voice.
    You have time to iron it out, get it done and I will be listening.

Thanks for the feedback and good thoughts. That is definitely something I'm working on and should improve over time!

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

Sorry about that - I pulled that podcast and corrected the audio issue, but in some cases I think it may have pushed out the original and not replaced it with the corrected one. Doh. You can listen online here to the fixed version if you want: https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/twip-talk-kaminkow-teases-and-iron-man-vault-squared/
    I probably should've listened to it to make sure nothing went wonky during export, but the Super Bowl was getting ready to start and there was good food and drinks and...oops

Just an FYI, I re-downloaded the episode from the RSS feed, and its good now. The new version is now what I get when I download, and the audio levels are great.

#38 4 years ago

(accidentally posted this in the other TWIP thread, reposting here)

Old hosts quitting is the best thing that ever happened to your podcast. New format is great, concise segments with different voices for each. Easy to tune out the same voice(s) if you hear them for too long a stretch. It's almost like the evening news, "and now to Jane for the weather."

Some of the news stuff is a bit redundant if you've already read the website, but it's nice when (with Harry Potter for instance) you put a personal spin on it, just not reading the site verbatim. Beginner segment isn't for me, but that's fine, I can fast forward. Dwight's pinball secrets segment is AWESOME. I'd listen to that religiously as its own 5-minute podcast. Even after 20+ years in the hobby I expect to learn some cool stuff from it.

For what it's worth, your voice is easy on the ears, NPR-esque. Some pinball podcasters are extremely grating to me, just based on like, accents and/or speech patterns. Sonically off-putting.

Gotta hand it to you, I'm eating my words. After one episode TWIP is already on my (very) short list of worthwhile podcasts.

#39 4 years ago

Mudflaps is back despite Zach repeatedly calling him Mudflap .

#40 4 years ago

I agree
    VERY good podcast!

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Mudflaps is back despite Zach repeatedly calling him Mudflap .

Next week’s episode is a 4 hour in-depth discussion of why Banzai Run sucks.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Next week’s episode is a 4 hour in-depth discussion of why Banzai Run sucks.

I'm good with that, but I'll need a brief rebuttal. Here's a preview!

1. IPDB #88 All time for SS
    2. Pinside #95
    3. Pat Lawlor, Larry DeMar
    4. You suck!

giphy (resized).pnggiphy (resized).png
    #44 4 years ago

Ok, so this seems to happen every time I start a podcast, something comes up!

Although I am having a blast doing it, I am going to have to put TWIP TALK on hold for now. If you didn't see the announcement on the TWIPY thread, Zach and Greg will not be hosting the TWIPYs this year which is going to lead to a ton more work for me over the next 5 weeks. Unfortunately I don't have enough time in a day to do both the podcast and do what needs to be done now to get ready for the TWIPYs, so the podcast is going to have to be stalled for a bit. Sorry!!

Hopefully it'll be back on the airwaves in the future.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

Although I am having a blast doing it, I am going to have to put TWIP TALK on hold for now. If you didn't see the announcement on the TWIPY thread, Zach and Greg will not be hosting the TWIPYs this year which is going to lead to a ton more work for me over the next 5 weeks. Unfortunately I don't have enough time in a day to do both the podcast and do what needs to be done now to get ready for the TWIPYs, so the podcast is going to have to be stalled for a bit. Sorry!!

Jeff, I sent you an E-mail.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

lthough I am having a blast doing it, I am going to have to put TWIP TALK on hold for now.

Oh, man! I was just coming onto this thread to say how much I was enjoying the new show. Oh well, a good start, i'll wait patiently for when it starts going again.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

You take care of what needs to be taken care of. We’ll wait patiently. Absolutely loving TWIP Talk

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-twip-podcast?hl=ausretrogamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.